Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Refilling Solar Thermal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭randombar

Just to update those that are interested.

So I used a drill pump to recharge the system, it's better than what it was but it was awkward and messy, one of the hoses in the glycol, slipped a bit and put air back into the system. (Drill smoking by the end)

Turns out you can rent the solar recharging stations (30 per day) so I've one booked in for tomorrow. Going to flush the system out, wash out with water and refill with new glycol / water mix. (30% according to what I've read)

Need to figure out how to suck all the glycol out with the recharging station but should be ok with the right gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Just saw this now, got solar thermal tubes 2 years ago.

How often are you changing the glycol? I see different trains of thoughts on it.

How often are you changing the glycol? I see different trains of thoughts on it.

Ah from my reading it's years. As in 8 to 10.

Keep an eye on pressure and flow and make sure they're ok.

Anyone have any idea what the capacity of these systems are?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Manufacturers will ask that the glyco is tested every year however it really depends on the system. If a system is over sized the glyco probably needs to be changed every few years as the glyco can turn into a tar like substance from extreme temperatures.

Manufacturers will ask that the glyco is tested every year however it really depends on the system. If a system is over sized the glyco probably needs to be changed every few years as the glyco can turn into a tar like substance from extreme temperatures.

I've actually ordered a ph tester on amazon to check acidity.

The recharging station I rented worked a treat.

I did three houses over the weekend.

Only issue is in one house where the pump is gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

GaryCocs wrote: »

Get yourself a refactometer to check the glyco concentration. They are cheap enough and you will have it forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BobbyBingo

GaryCocs wrote: »

Exactly what I'm looking for. Where did you hire the recharging station pls ?

BobbyBingo wrote: »

PM Sent

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭paul-2008

Hi, can you tell me where you rented this also? thanks

For those of you that have replaced and refilled your glycol, how do you drain down the system of all the old glycol, before pumping all the new glycol mix in ? All the how-to guides etc, explain filling the system by pumping the mix from the tank through until there is no air bubbles - but, before you do this, how should you extract all the old glycol out, without recirculating it back through the system ? Sorry if it's a newbie question, but it has me stumped... Ideally I'd like to empty/drain down the system entirely - see what volume was in it, before filling my tank with the new stuff....

Any advise gratefully accepted..

B

• Advertisement

For those of you that have replaced and refilled your glycol, how do you drain down the system of all the old glycol, before pumping all the new glycol mix in ? All the how-to guides etc, explain filling the system by pumping the mix from the tank through until there is no air bubbles - but, before you do this, how should you extract all the old glycol out, without recirculating it back through the system ? Sorry if it's a newbie question, but it has me stumped... Ideally I'd like to empty/drain down the system entirely - see what volume was in it, before filling my tank with the new stuff....

Any advise gratefully accepted..

B

Solved it.... Just open and let it drain out..

Advertisement