Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-05-2020, 09:20   #1
oreo47

science courses careers

Hi
I was just wondering if there are any graduates of the Bioscience, Environmental and forensics,medicinal chemistry courses and what careers you went on to get or what your fellow graduates did?
Advertisement
15-05-2020, 16:19   #2
forenvchem

science courses careers

Hi, I'm a year tutor on the forensic and environmental course. Graduates in recent years have gone on to work in the State Laboratory (human toxicology/food safety), the Medical Bureau of Road Safety (drink and drug driving analysis), Environmental consultancy, National Virus Reference Laboratory, secondary school teaching. Many of the course graduates go on to work in Quality roles in the Pharmaceutical Industry (Pfizer, MSD, Mylan,Hovione, BMS, AbbVie, Leo, Takeda).
I hope this helps.
15-05-2020, 18:34   #3
oreo47

Quote:
Originally Posted by forenvchem View Post
Hi, I'm a year tutor on the forensic and environmental course. Graduates in recent years have gone on to work in the State Laboratory (human toxicology/food safety), the Medical Bureau of Road Safety (drink and drug driving analysis), Environmental consultancy, National Virus Reference Laboratory, secondary school teaching. Many of the course graduates go on to work in Quality roles in the Pharmaceutical Industry (Pfizer, MSD, Mylan,Hovione, BMS, AbbVie, Leo, Takeda).
I hope this helps.
Thanks very much for this information. What kind of practical skills enables graduates to work in these areas?
Like what equipment in the labs are used in the course
15-05-2020, 19:01   #4
forenvchem

The students get hands on experience with GC-FID, GC-MS, HPLC and LC-MS in the labs. They also use atomic absorption spectroscopy and ICP- AES. They also get experience in dissolution testing, disintegration testing and differential scanning calorimetry. With regards to forensic analysis, they also do microscopy, refractive index measurements, IR analysis.
Thanks from:
16-05-2020, 10:15   #5
oreo47

Quote:
Originally Posted by forenvchem View Post
The students get hands on experience with GC-FID, GC-MS, HPLC and LC-MS in the labs. They also use atomic absorption spectroscopy and ICP- AES. They also get experience in dissolution testing, disintegration testing and differential scanning calorimetry. With regards to forensic analysis, they also do microscopy, refractive index measurements, IR analysis.
Thank you so much for this info.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion