Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

science courses careers

• 15-05-2020 8:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi
    I was just wondering if there are any graduates of the Bioscience, Environmental and forensics,medicinal chemistry courses and what careers you went on to get or what your fellow graduates did?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 forenvchem

Hi, I'm a year tutor on the forensic and environmental course. Graduates in recent years have gone on to work in the State Laboratory (human toxicology/food safety), the Medical Bureau of Road Safety (drink and drug driving analysis), Environmental consultancy, National Virus Reference Laboratory, secondary school teaching. Many of the course graduates go on to work in Quality roles in the Pharmaceutical Industry (Pfizer, MSD, Mylan,Hovione, BMS, AbbVie, Leo, Takeda).
    I hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭oreo47

forenvchem wrote: »
    Hi, I'm a year tutor on the forensic and environmental course. Graduates in recent years have gone on to work in the State Laboratory (human toxicology/food safety), the Medical Bureau of Road Safety (drink and drug driving analysis), Environmental consultancy, National Virus Reference Laboratory, secondary school teaching. Many of the course graduates go on to work in Quality roles in the Pharmaceutical Industry (Pfizer, MSD, Mylan,Hovione, BMS, AbbVie, Leo, Takeda).
    I hope this helps.

Thanks very much for this information. What kind of practical skills enables graduates to work in these areas?
    Like what equipment in the labs are used in the course

• Registered Users Posts: 2 forenvchem

The students get hands on experience with GC-FID, GC-MS, HPLC and LC-MS in the labs. They also use atomic absorption spectroscopy and ICP- AES. They also get experience in dissolution testing, disintegration testing and differential scanning calorimetry. With regards to forensic analysis, they also do microscopy, refractive index measurements, IR analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭oreo47

forenvchem wrote: »
    The students get hands on experience with GC-FID, GC-MS, HPLC and LC-MS in the labs. They also use atomic absorption spectroscopy and ICP- AES. They also get experience in dissolution testing, disintegration testing and differential scanning calorimetry. With regards to forensic analysis, they also do microscopy, refractive index measurements, IR analysis.

Thank you so much for this info.

Advertisement