Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Double NAT and other Problems

• 03-05-2020 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

I have a booster beside my Xbox One which obviously strengthens the connection to it, but only for downloading really with my multiplayer connection not being overly strong.

Double NAT (and therefore not an open NAT) is a problem I've run into as a result. I've looked into fixing it which generally involves logging into my router on my pc.

Unfortunately when I try to get my IP it is coming up as 88.xyz and not 192.xyz. When I found my 192 ip address and typed it into the browser in order the login to my router it wouldn't connect.

I'm lost.

Comments

Are up using something like TPlink plugs or somthing?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭SketchyPrince

Enfilade wrote: »
    Are up using something like TPlink plugs or somthing?
    Router is TPlink TL-WR740N
    Booster is TPlink TL-WPA4220

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

This is how I solved my double NAT problem. I'll try be specific without going into enormous detail.

Notes/Tips: 1.Connection is totally wired here but hoping same idea applies. 2. Change the settings of the router when actually connected to the router directly (using a wire or on wireless). 3. Try do this in stages, starting with main router -> second router/booster ->Xbox 4. Google is your friend.

I have a SKY router in the sitting room (accessed using 192.168.0.1 - Yours may be a different number) and I have a cable running to a second TP Link router in my room (accessed using 192.168.1.1 - Again yours may be different)

What I did first was set the bedroom router as having a static IP, say 192.168.0.50. This should be straight forward to do on the TP Link router. This is then connected using a wire to the sitting room router. 192.168.0.50 is within the DHCP range provided by the sitting room router. You should see this range somewhere when you are logged in to your main router. I also added the IP of the second router (192.168.0.50) to a reserved IP list ( not every router may have this) I then put the IP (192.168.0.50) of my second router into the DMZ section of the first router (under 192.168.0.1 settings)

Finally, I fixed the Xbox as having a static IP, say 192.168.1.110 that connects to my second router and is within the DHCP range provided by the TP Link router (range should be found under 192.168.1.1 settings) On the settings under 192.168.1.1, I added the IP of the Xbox to the DMZ section of this router and voila.

Sorry if this is too much detail but if you have some time, it's worth a try for the long term benefits. My next step is to try remove this wire connected my two routers but it's easier said than done!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Glad you got it sorted.

Just FYI, when setting a static IP, it's recommended to set the IP address to something outside the DHCP range. That way you don't have to go messing with the reserved address stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

What I do with mine is fire up the xbox check with ip address it has 192.168.1.4 for example.
    Then go to the last number in this case 4 and change it to the same number the xbox has in this case 192.168.1.9

• Advertisement
Advertisement