Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Boards.ie Explainer: FTTH and You

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Hi guys. Firstly this thread is full of useful info so thanks!

I have bought a new build home in Dundalk and I checked on the airewire availability checker which told me that at my address FTTH is available. The site clerk in the development told me that some of the people in the development had issues with FTTH - he wasn't too good with detail but said something about Eir not having installed the last wiring needed to be able to get FTTH. I pressed for more details but he didn't really seem to understand.

I suppose my question is how can I tell definitively if I can get it in my house or who do I need to talk to about the last bits of wiring needed? He said it wasnt the ISP providers issue but was for Eir but didnt really explain it well.

Thanks and hopefully in the correct thread? Mods, if not apologies and please move.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

First if all, it is OpenEir that runs and owns the network.

Eir is only retail and has to buy the services of OpenEir like any provider.

And the only way you are going to find out is by placing an order with a provider and wait what the engineer says on the day.

Alsi, when you say Airwire lists you for service .. what service does the site list you for ? VDSL ( with speeds mentioned or no speeds mentioned ) or rural FTTH.

/M

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    First if all, it is OpenEir that runs and owns the network.

Eir is only retail and has to buy the services of OpenEir like any provider.

And the only way you are going to find out is by placing an order with a provider and wait what the engineer says on the day.

Alsi, when you say Airwire lists you for service .. what service does the site list you for ? VDSL ( with speeds mentioned or no speeds mentioned ) or rural FTTH.

/M

/M

Thanks Marlow.

Yes makes sense that eir is the retail co and openeir so the infrastructure. It's really the latter that the site clerk told me have not put in some wiring needed and that I need to ask them to do so which sounds a bit mad. Do you know when an engineer comes out do they simply hook there network cable into the live system that open eir put in? From what the builders said they know already an engineer from a retail co cannot install due to open eir not having correctly finished off their part.

Both ftth and vdsl were down are available on the airwire checker.
    Thanks again

It's really the latter that the site clerk told me have not put in some wiring needed and that I need to ask them to do so which sounds a bit mad.

The site clerk probably is referring to VDSL (what Eir sells as eFibre). OpenEIR is not pulling any more copper into new estates. And yes .. if you order that and they arrive and find no copper in place ... they'll just fail the installation.

FTTH on the other hand only gets pulled in from the premise to the distribution point, when you actually order it. So as long as the ducting is in place, that should be no problem.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

Hi, what are people using to distribute the Internet through their homes?

I see powerline will get me maybe no more than 100-150Mb or a good router might get up to approx 500Mb if you aren't too far away from it.

Does that mean there is little point going higher than 500Mb unless you are wired with Cat5+, or if it's the 200Mb upload you are more interested? And even 500Mb needs a decent router, or multiple routers to go further...

Anyone got a mesh set up, working at 500Mb+ throughout their home? What hardware are you using?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

mcbert wrote: »
    Hi, what are people using to distribute the Internet through their homes?

I see powerline will get me maybe no more than 100-150Mb or a good router might get up to approx 500Mb if you aren't too far away from it.

Does that mean there is little point going higher than 500Mb unless you are wired with Cat5+, or if it's the 200Mb upload you are more interested? And even 500Mb needs a decent router, or multiple routers to go further...

Anyone got a mesh set up, working at 500Mb+ throughout their home? What hardware are you using?

Thanks.

The fritz box works fine for me:
    https://en.avm.de/products/fritzbox/

Working in a mesh setup. Its seamless and hasnt given any issues. Reasonable user interface with good parental controls, VoIP etc.

I didnt signup to the 1Gb FTTH so I cant say I've tested that but it is rated for it. It has LAN Gigabit support and its wireless support is "1733 Mbit/s", so 500Mb should be easy enough!!

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

KCross wrote: »
    I didnt signup to the 1Gb FTTH so I cant say I've tested that but it is rated for it. It has LAN Gigabit support and its wireless support is "1733 Mbit/s", so 500Mb should be easy enough!!

We lab tested the 7530, 7560, 7490 and 7590 with SIRO and they will achieve over 600 Mbit/s on 5 GHz 802.11ac and Gbit/s throughput on the cable without problems.

We lab tested the 7530, 7560, 7490 and 7590 with SIRO and they will achieve over 600 Mbit/s on 5 GHz 802.11ac and Gbit/s throughput on the cable without problems.

Thanks. Say I have 3 floors, concrete floor between ground and first, wood between 1st and 2nd, I want 500Mb or close to on top floor. Do I need a router on top floor? Can I set up a wireless mesh between all routers? Or do I need to wire the routers?

Thanks.

Thanks. Say I have 3 floors, concrete floor between ground and first, wood between 1st and 2nd, I want 500Mb or close to on top floor. Do I need a router on top floor? Can I set up a wireless mesh between all routers? Or do I need to wire the routers?

Yes, you will need a router on each floor, that you want to achieve that speed.

And yes, you will need to wire the routers to each other, to achieve that sort of throughput. The good news is: the Fritz!Box routers do mesh on both wireless and cable, so you can still (and should) operate them as a mesh.

500 Mbit/s or close requires, that you are near enough to the router and also depends on how good the wireless card in your PC or device is.

you will need to wire the routers to each other... the Fritz!Box routers do mesh on both wireless and cable, so you can still (and should) operate them as a mesh.

Ok, that speed requires running cat5 to routers on each floor, but if I don't wire top floor and instead rely on wireless mesh to top floor router, I should still get, I'm going to guess, half that rate??

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Ok, that speed requires running cat5 to routers on each floor, but if I don't wire top floor and instead rely on wireless mesh to top floor router, I should still get, I'm going to guess, half that rate??

The only way to find out, what you can achieve, is by testing it.

Every house is different.

Best place to get a spool of Cat5E/6a/7 cable, to give some love to the upper floors? Thanks.

Best place to get a spool of Cat5E/6a/7 cable, to give some love to the upper floors? Thanks.

Go to your local electrical wholesale. CT Electric, Eastern Electric, etc.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

ED E wrote: »
    One possible config would be.

Room A:
    Eir F2000
    Google Wifi 1

Room B:
    Google Wifi 2

Disable the wireless on the F2000 entirely, cable the Gwifi 1 to the F2000 and then let them do all of your wireless needs rather than trying to piggyback on a poor connection from the F2000.

They should use both bands and move clients around as appropriate. Room B should be half way between Room A and the furthest point from Room A.

They don't use the f2000 anymore it's a sagecom modem they call it an f3000 don't really know what it is under all that other than a sagecom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

We still need someone to take a F3000 apart and see what it is exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

An interesting side note about routers the older fritzboxes pick up a lot of noise on VDSL connections. Think they were made for ftth and different networking protocols but I've seen copper lines that could only get 40mpbs end up only locking on when it's been dropped to 30 or so.
    This was on the old caddilac model that had these upright fins on the edge. Maybe not inherent across the range but definitely the older one with fins I don't think it was made to operate with open eirs vdsl

Hi guys. Firstly this thread is full of useful info so thanks!

I have bought a new build home in Dundalk and I checked on the airewire availability checker which told me that at my address FTTH is available. The site clerk in the development told me that some of the people in the development had issues with FTTH - he wasn't too good with detail but said something about Eir not having installed the last wiring needed to be able to get FTTH. I pressed for more details but he didn't really seem to understand.

I suppose my question is how can I tell definitively if I can get it in my house or who do I need to talk to about the last bits of wiring needed? He said it wasnt the ISP providers issue but was for Eir but didnt really explain it well.

Thanks and hopefully in the correct thread? Mods, if not apologies and please move.

So I have sky coming on the 2nd Jan to get my FTTH BB - I just went onto the airwire checker and entered in my eircode and it is now showing only VDSL whereas it showed FTTH as available only a couple of weeks ago. Is it possible to lose availability???

So I have sky coming on the 2nd Jan to get my FTTH BB - I just went onto the airwire checker and entered in my eircode and it is now showing only VDSL whereas it showed FTTH as available only a couple of weeks ago. Is it possible to lose availability???

I don't believe so, it is probably an error on the list that OpenEir supply to providers.
    I don't know if it will delay the install but Sky should be able to flag the error.

tuxy wrote: »
    I don't believe so, it is probably an error on the list that OpenEir supply to providers.
    I don't know if it will delay the install but Sky should be able to flag the error.

Thanks. Do you know of a way to contact openeir?

They don't talk with the public, you contact your ISP and they contact Open Eir.

• Advertisement

They don't talk with the public, you contact your ISP and they contact Open Eir.

christ what a farce. given i don't have an ISP it's going to be problematic!! :confused: Thanks Tuxy

Don't. Literally: just don't.

If Sky has your order already placed, everything is fine. It happens the odd time, that eircodes get demerged from ard keys (the old adressing system), but if your order already is in the system, it has no impact.

It could even be something that Sky messed up in the process.

Let them proceed with the order and if that goes wrong, take action. If you take action before you just create a bigger mess.

/M

christ what a farce. given i don't have an ISP it's going to be problematic!! :confused: Thanks Tuxy

If you have already signed up with Sky they should be able to sort it out.
    I don't know what their customer service is like , some companies are not the best at keeping customers up to date.
    Open Eir might spot the error themselves when they update the list next week.

Don't. Literally: just don't.

If Sky has your order already placed, everything is fine. It happens the odd time, that eircodes get demerged from ard keys (the old adressing system), but if your order already is in the system, it has no impact.

It could even be something that Sky messed up in the process.

Let them proceed with the order and if that goes wrong, take action. If you take action before you just create a bigger mess.

/M
    If you have already signed up with Sky they should be able to sort it out.
    I don't know what their customer service is like , some companies are not the best at keeping customers up to date.
    Open Eir might spot the error themselves when they update the list next week.

Thanks guys. Hopefully is just an error as Sky did say my eircode showed up as available but got spooked based on what the site clerk had said before (although he didn't really have a notion and just said others had faced issues with BB).

Yeah don't worry if you were on the list then you're house is definitely included.
    Marlow's advise is best, you should get a call about the install at least one day before hand. If not then you will have to contact Sky but leave it for now and see if it goes ahead.

Turns out that FTTH is now not available - Sky rang to cancel the installaiton. So frustrating. I can't even get speaking to OpenEir as they wont take customer calls. Really is a terrible way of rolling out installation of this and such a backwards way of doing things.

Turns out that FTTH is now not available - Sky rang to cancel the installaiton. So frustrating. I can't even get speaking to OpenEir as they wont take customer calls. Really is a terrible way of rolling out installation of this and such a backwards way of doing things.

What checks was it available on previously ?

/M

What checks was it available on previously ?

/M

sky themselves confirmed it was available and airwire checker showed it too!

Well. Then it should be fixable. But no ISP will put an effort into doing that, unless you sign up with them. Sky generally doesn't want to fix anything tbh. They tend to go the way of the least resistance.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Same thing happened me only with Vodafone KN came out to install it but they said I'd need a pole first. The pole landed the next day and I phoned Vodafone who informed me I couldn't get it until next March. I told them about the pole and they would not listen, I got in contact with the Eir Rep who called out and signed me up with them.

Two day's later same KN guy came and installed it no hassle.

Advertisement