Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stuff to do in Limerick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

@mazzy_maz Well I guess having life long friends in Limerick is not a luxury I can enjoy. And no you're very wrong there isn't loads to do in Limerick, if there was I'd be doing them but there isn't so I'm not! Oh by the way how come Galway which has a smaller population can have two centrally located cinema's(The Eye counts as 2 in my opinion) plus an third cinema located in a suburb and Limerick only has two very modest cinemas?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

cerebral, what do you like to do? whats wrong with our cinemas that Galways are so much better? Where abouts do you live? Do you have transport, or rely on public transport.

give us some info and we can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭monalitto

anyone know of any free or cheap stuff for kids, going on in Limerick this week for halloween?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

monalitto wrote: »
    anyone know of any free or cheap stuff for kids, going on in Limerick this week for halloween?

I think Limerick's live 95fm are doing something in the Jetland shoping center? They might be some info about it on there website.

I think Limerick's live 95fm are doing something in the Jetland shoping center? They might be some info about it on there website.
    thanks i'll look it up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 victor11

fair enough - Actually had some good times in Limerick....Pity about all the negative crap... Never stops

it never does stop, but i suppose while there are people here doing the **** that goes on - it wont. guess we gotta get out there & enjoy ourselves anyway - in spite of it all!
    happy halloween :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

the jetland is one of the worst shopping centres ever. the edenderry s.c. is ever better... and its in offaly!!!:P There are like 5 shops in the jetland and its such a large building... ya its a huge dunnes but there is nothing else there. Crescent s.c. much better

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

zuroph wrote: »
    cerebral, what do you like to do? whats wrong with our cinemas that Galways are so much better? Where abouts do you live? Do you have transport, or rely on public transport.

give us some info and we can help.

Well I before I respond I must apologise for the earlier aggression, but it was result of genuine frustration. Sorry. However Limerick has a lot to answer for.
    As for what I like that ranges from movies to life extension to politics to archery. I sitting down when I go out and relaxing for example in The Locke bar amongst many other things. To be fair my problems with Limerick are probably more to do with Irish attitude/culture more than anything.
    As for the cinemas, in Galway they're reasonably close to the city center except for the Oranmore one which is also handy for those who don't want to go to far into Galway. In my opinion there aren't enough cinemas in Galway thus there definitely aren't enough in Limerick. Did you there were once 15 different cinemas in Limerick city center? Then there's the location, I live in Caherdavin if I didn't have a car I'm not going to the cinema! Anyway cinemas aside the main problem with Limerick from what I can tell is that the city center is grossly neglected with the result that urban Limerick is pretty much suburban Limerick. I could keep going but I gotta sleep. But one question I gotta ask is why for example is almost all of Catherine street vacant?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Jackobyte wrote: »
    the jetland is one of the worst shopping centres ever. the edenderry s.c. is ever better... and its in offaly!!!:P There are like 5 shops in the jetland and its such a large building... ya its a huge dunnes but there is nothing else there. Crescent s.c. much better

Never said it was a great shopping center, just said that 95fm would be doing something out there this week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

I think that one of the problems is that it can be hard to find out what's going on around the town without having to troll through all the papers and a load of websites etc.

Here are a few sites that have info on local events and keep it up to date.

www.limerickcoordination.ie

Limerick Post online - http://www.limerickevents.com/
    has a cool digital version of the paper out soon after the print version.
    Handy As I can never find the print one when I need it !!

Eightball - http://www.eightball.ie/index.php ( Finally updating regulary )

I also update a Google Calendar at http://www.munsterbusiness.ie/limerick_events_guide.htm

Between those you should be able to find something you like!:cool:

thank you for that info - saved them for future reference. I was at the milk market last saturday morning, last one before they open again in mid 2010 (please god)! great buzz down there, maybe a sense of anticipation? I hope they do a good job on it, it's my favourite place to hang out on a saturday morning - i forget about time when im down there, meet whoever i meet, & have a cup of the best cappuchino in limerick at Marie's cheese shop . . simple pleasures! Limerick needs more places like this, lets hope they make it even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

thank you for that info - saved them for future reference. I was at the milk market last saturday morning, last one before they open again in mid 2010 (please god)! great buzz down there, maybe a sense of anticipation? I hope they do a good job on it, it's my favourite place to hang out on a saturday morning - i forget about time when im down there, meet whoever i meet, & have a cup of the best cappuchino in limerick at Marie's cheese shop . . simple pleasures! Limerick needs more places like this, lets hope they make it even better.

I think the market itself should still be running on Saturday mornings, just moving down the road a bit to Ellen Street.

yes i've heard that too, there was a market down there a good few years ago - its a nice spot as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

I am a regular visitor to Limerick, my boyfriend lives there, and we are always looking for interesting things to do. However, we usually end up going to the pub. Limerick, for me, is about the people I know there. Without them or himself, I'm not sure I'd ever go to Limerick.

I was down during the week and we went to a play, "The Revenger's Tragedy" in the Belltable on Cecil Street (next door to Tom Collins). It was great - fast paced, gritty and funny. I think it runs 'til Nov 21st. I have to hold my hand up and say that I know one of the actors but I wouldn't recommend it unless it was really good.

Sometimes you have to think outside the box and do something that you wouldn't normally do.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Podginho

Theres a nice park at shelbourne near thomond park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ladylim55

Hi guys, I dont know if this is a bit off the mark or not but I came across the Shannon Region facebook page, it lists loads of things to do in limk and around! Check it out and let me know what ye think of it? It's a good initiative in fairness! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Irelands-Shannon-Region/212659070103?ref=search&sid=760965480.2361634354..1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jekyll

For anyone interested in dance and art, Gravity and Grace is on this week in the Daghdha space, John's Square. Here's a link to the Facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=170172248549&ref=mf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭mormank

Paulegend wrote: »
    Amazo if thats what u really are:rolleyes: i got a couple questions and sense you are sooooooo wise i thought id ask you;)

question 1. what do you think the internet is for???

question 2. what do you think a public forum is by definition????

question 3. i cant afford to set up a dream world class entertainment complex does that mean we shouldnt have one in limerick or should we all just bitch and moan until some1 who sees this post realises that there is demand for such thing and then takes their checkbook out and invests in one?????

iquestion 4. n fact isnt that how you go about researing to see if there is demand for such things????????

question 5. so maybe your the one who should leave the thread if your too smug and not happy with the contents of the thread. im sure you can find a thread more suited to you elsewhere:D

im just reading this now for the first time and a big lol @ you thinking someone is gonna open a business based on ahything written in this forum!! you sound like you believe you are doing limerick a great service by coming on here and moaning about stuff as it is making thepublic aware of our needs and will bring much needed investment into the city!

I will say this much tho regarding the things to do in limerick and those that find it boring and have nothing to do. I am currently living in melbourne and recently encountered a group of my friends who said it was so boring and there is nothing to do etc..this led me to the conclusion that people who genuinely want to be out doing things and have the imagination to do so will always find things to do that they enjoy and the people who sit around and whinge about having nothing to do will also find themselves doing that alot..

• Advertisement

mormank wrote: »
    I will say this much tho regarding the things to do in limerick and those that find it boring and have nothing to do. I am currently living in melbourne and recently encountered a group of my friends who said it was so boring and there is nothing to do etc..this led me to the conclusion that people who genuinely want to be out doing things and have the imagination to do so will always find things to do that they enjoy and the people who sit around and whinge about having nothing to do will also find themselves doing that alot..

Fair play to you, you are SO right!!! Just because we're famous for "Angelas Ashes" - (& all the other doom & gloom), dosent mean we all have to be walking around in the rain, moanin & bawlin all the time - sometimes I have to beat myself about the head & upper torso to remember that!!
    are you from limerick? you workin in Aussie? what you have for your breakfast? sorry . . im a nosey limerick B

Fair play to you, you are SO right!!! Just because we're famous for "Angelas Ashes" - (& all the other doom & gloom), dosent mean we all have to be walking around in the rain, moanin & bawlin all the time - sometimes I have to beat myself about the head & upper torso to remember that!!
    are you from limerick? you workin in Aussie? what you have for your breakfast? sorry . . im a nosey limerick B

haha ya im from limerick, born and raised there for roughly the first 21 years of my life. since then i have lived in letterkenny for about a year and melbourne the same. but there is nothing magical gonna make me do stuff. i still 'get out of the house' roughly the same as in limerick and letterkenny because that my personality or whatever, the only difference is that when i decide to do stuff there is more of an option as opposed to the extra options getting me out of the house, if that makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

im just reading this now for the first time and a big lol @ you thinking someone is gonna open a business based on ahything written in this forum!! you sound like you believe you are doing limerick a great service by coming on here and moaning about stuff as it is making thepublic aware of our needs and will bring much needed investment into the city!

so where should i vioce MY OPINIONS???

you seemm to feel your educated enough to knoiw whats what. so you tell me. lets say we where activists(community not extreme:D) now how do we go about making limerick mopre pleasurable and entertaining. and saying its grand the way it is is a lazy answer. im not fully bitching about limerick to be honest. id often go out and just go to a gig have a couple pints maybe watch the local rugby or the rugby and soccer on the tv the weekend in one of my usual halts in town. i try to travel few times a year and i go to gigs on a regualar basis in dublin.

my point is this city has sooooooooooo much potential and we need more entertainment and things to do to attract more people to our limerick. there are quite a few ideas i have that one day yes i would love to do for this city myself. but right now i cant invest in such stuff. and to be honest why should i. why should you. the government wasts enough cash every day that could be put towards bettering the cities. im not trying to be a smartass with you so get off your sarcastic high horse and instead of putting this useful thread off topic why not just contribute. your prob a clever person with some good ideas. why be negative.

and for the record being off topic can result in warnings(i found that out the hard way:D)

Paulegend wrote: »
    so where should i vioce MY OPINIONS???

you seemm to feel your educated enough to knoiw whats what. so you tell me. lets say we where activists(community not extreme:D) now how do we go about making limerick mopre pleasurable and entertaining. and saying its grand the way it is is a lazy answer. im not fully bitching about limerick to be honest. id often go out and just go to a gig have a couple pints maybe watch the local rugby or the rugby and soccer on the tv the weekend in one of my usual halts in town. i try to travel few times a year and i go to gigs on a regualar basis in dublin.

my point is this city has sooooooooooo much potential and we need more entertainment and things to do to attract more people to our limerick. there are quite a few ideas i have that one day yes i would love to do for this city myself. but right now i cant invest in such stuff. and to be honest why should i. why should you. the government wasts enough cash every day that could be put towards bettering the cities. im not trying to be a smartass with you so get off your sarcastic high horse and instead of putting this useful thread off topic why not just contribute. your prob a clever person with some good ideas. why be negative.

and for the record being off topic can result in warnings(i found that out the hard way:D)

dude in your last post you tried to dress up your posts as tho you were doing some sort of community service for limerick when you were not. thats what i was laughing at. anyway if you are sure that all the negativity is behind you then sure i will contribute...

you are saying why should you put any effort or investment into something usefulk in limerick when the government wastes cash, come on, no matter how the city is run or whatever the government will always squander cash. however this is no reason to not invest in things yourself. perhaps you could invest in something with a view to turning a profit, would that be incentive enough for you.

And for your information, before i left for oz i researched and seriously considered opening my own establishment twice (once in an assistant role), the likes of which was not in limerick at the time. at first the idea of doing something entreprenuerial seems daunting but after we looked into it we discovered it was more realistic than we had first thought. anyway neither endevour came to fruition and i bailed instead!! :rolleyes:

im not contradicting myself by having left either by the way!!

dude in your last post you tried to dress up your posts as tho you were doing some sort of community service for limerick when you were not. thats what i was laughing at. anyway if you are sure that all the negativity is behind you then sure i will contribute...

you are saying why should you put any effort or investment into something usefulk in limerick when the government wastes cash, come on, no matter how the city is run or whatever the government will always squander cash. however this is no reason to not invest in things yourself. perhaps you could invest in something with a view to turning a profit, would that be incentive enough for you.

And for your information, before i left for oz i researched and seriously considered opening my own establishment twice (once in an assistant role), the likes of which was not in limerick at the time. at first the idea of doing something entreprenuerial seems daunting but after we looked into it we discovered it was more realistic than we had first thought. anyway neither endevour came to fruition and i bailed instead!! :rolleyes:

im not contradicting myself by having left either by the way!!

dont worry im not slating you. and its pretty cool that you have looked at such ventures. i see your point about we need to set up our own profitable business's but what im talking about is simple things the government should be doing such as community games, community centers. get the kids off the street. set up proper soccer/rugby facilities. i know there are such facilities i have played under age rugby myself. but these things arent promoted. build up the reputation of these things. as for the misspending thats our fault. its our fault we leave them get away with it. i get outraged and a lot do maybe even you get pissed about it and i dont know you so for all i know you try to do something about it. but too many people in this country(yea country not just limerick) just complain and do nothing about it. i looked at a couple things myself such as a local 5 a side league(years before the one that is currently on going. i just didnt have the knoledge or drive to get it going. we acutally had a couple weekends with 4 teams. but never got bigger.

as for myself building up my community services i have worked doing charity in st. camilisas and have done other charity work around. not the making money for myself charities but real charities such as bothar, animal shelter and done stuff for milford. alot of the things i did where just money raising and such but i do try to do a small bit of stuff because i find it interseting. im not trying to talk down or anything to anyone. alot of people dont do charity work and thats ok. i have no prob with that. all i want is people to be proud of their neighbourhood and their city. bring back the days of knowing all your neighbours and calling around for a cup of tea and a chat. do you know your neighbours? i actually dont know mine. they keep to themselves and fair enough. i did know the people living there before them. the woman that lived next door is still my godmother.

dont worry im not thinking your contradicting yourself either. i spent alot of cash going to oz aswell that i could have invested but we have lives to live aswell. ambition to see other places and travel the world. that is why i blame the government for mis spending. not over spending but mis spending.

we need to take back control of our country and tell our employees(the government) what we want from OUR money

ya i agree with ya paul! i realise its not easy to start business type attractions, but the 5 a side idea is a good one. things like this can really help build a community. keep up the good work!

hey anyone know of any gigs or anything on this week in town?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

I am trying to keep an upto date Google Calender of events and upcoming gigs around Limerick.

The information is very spread out and often not updated on a lot of the other listings around for Limerick. So I created a

whats on in Limerick Page.

If you are running any events or know of upcoming Gigs not on the list already just drop me a line its totally free to get events added Im hoping that this will help people find stuff to do in Limerick without trawling through all the papers etc. Limerick has a great music and entertainment scene with lots of stuff on almost every night if only people could find out about it!

Thanks.

Pat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 TheJackel

Liam79 wrote: »
    there are things to do, the problem is, no matter what recreational facilities we have, the scumbags take it over. Snooker halls full of scum in their tracksuits tucked into their socks, then funderland comes to town its infested with them, the ice rink at christmas is like a day release programme, the bowling alleys/pool halls/ swimming pools, even the cinemas are crawling with scum and therefore no matter where u go and do, u feel threatened and intimidated.
    :mad:

true that..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Cyril Squirrel

Hi , will be in Limerick city at the weekend and wondering if the milk market will be open or any market?
    Thanks in advance

Advertisement