Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SSM referendum canvassing

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Has anyone actually had people wanting to talk on the doorstep? I haven't (from either side). I know Storm 10 you said you had. I haven't, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I've had chats with two people I know who were on the fence, possibly 'no' leaning (In as non judgemental a way as I could manage, given how I feel about the subject). I mainly addressed questions, and gave my own opinion and any facts I knew that would be helpful. Both of them had said they felt attacked and bullied a bit by BOTH sides. After that discussion I am fairly sure that one will vote yes and another will probably do so (although in the booth, everyone can change their mind). From chatting to mates, I think I'd agree with the statement that Cities are tending to a clear yes majority, with rural areas less so (however I don't think it's a landslide).

I know lots of older people, 2 priests, and a very grumpy and conservative person voting yes. I have been surprised by people who told me they were voting yes, and the volume of them. Here's hoping to a democratic process that cops on that this is a Civil Issue, and those who are unsure because of spiritual reasons also realise that it's the morally correct thing to do. Please vote, and it's not too late to chat about it (although people have mixed opinions about canvassers).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I'm just wondering if because I have a sticker on my car, visible to anyone walking up my "driveway" (that sounds so grand!), the yes side know they don't need to talk to me, and the no side know that there's no point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Eeden wrote: »
    I'm just wondering if because I have a sticker on my car, visible to anyone walking up my "driveway" (that sounds so grand!), the yes side know they don't need to talk to me, and the no side know that there's no point.

We haven't had anyone call and have no stickers etc. I have asked others too and no one has seen any canvassers in Galway or Dub. I'm inclined to think thank God, I don't know anyone who'd be swayed by someone at the door anyway.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

zarquon wrote: »
    I specifically said a "no canvassing" sign or a "no solicitation" sign. I find it hard to believe you misunderstood what that meant or somehow construed that i meant a no vote sign!
    I don't, it was pretty obvious from his first reply that he had skimmed and misread.

Zarquon, for someone who accuses others of attitude, you remind me of a biblical passage I'm sure you're familiar with.

I'll give you a hint:

76wdJm.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I note zarquon hasn't appeared since being challenged to actually articulate his problems regarding children and gay marriage... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Zzippy wrote: »
    I note zarquon hasn't appeared since being challenged to actually articulate his problems regarding children and gay marriage... :rolleyes:

So you are happy to have hounded a no voter from a thread. This is the problem attitude of the yes side.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

So you are happy to have hounded a no voter from a thread. This is the problem attitude of the yes side.

Im fairly sure Zarquon is quite capable of not being hounded, from past evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Just so as you all know

Zarquon is an ancient religious prophet in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy lore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

So the poster who accused another poster of lying and having an attitude problem; who posted demonstrably false claims to try to support his argument; who got on my case with a condescending attitude for pointing out his false claims; who has a long record on here of wading straight into argumentative exchanges*; that's the poster who was being "hounded"?

That's a very strange interpretation. His departure coincided with him being asked to justify some of his more extreme statements. Does that constitute hounding these days?

*nothing wrong with that but it shows he's no shrinking violet who is easily frightened off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

His departure coincided with him being asked to justify some of his more extreme statements. Does that constitute hounding these days?

In the Douglas Adams books Zarquon appeared seconds before the end of the universe.
    At the moment the universe ended, Zarquon faded away in disappointment.

Fitting.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Hopefully by this day week the Referendum will be forgotten. Last few weeks have been torturous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tipparetops

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Hopefully by this day week the Referendum will be forgotten. Last few weeks have been torturous.

It will be as long as there is a YES answer.
    If NO is returned expect to never hear the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Yes = meltdown in the Catholic Church.
    No = meltdown in wider society.

Car crash viewing.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

I'm a student and an agnostic.

I'm hoping for a No win.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,667 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Yes = meltdown in the Catholic Church.

Hardly.

The hierarchy got over divorce being legal, they'll cope with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,262 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The Catholic Church hierarchy should have zero say in anything to do with children or marriage tbf.

Covered up the raping of children for decades and won't let their own priests marry.

They have no credibility

Don't be ridiculous. I merely asked him/her to actually articulate the supposed concerns about children that he/she kept harping on about. Going on their posts to date, I very much doubt they felt "hounded", just couldn't back up their argument with any valid points.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Well, regardless of people's thoughts, opinons, or standpoints on Same Sex Marriage; I hope ta fook you're all going out and casting your vote today.

I have no respect for people whinging and bítching about an outcome of a vote if they weren't registered in the first place, were too hungover to bother, or simply couldn't be arsed because it was raining/inconvenient. (yes, these are all real reasons I've heard off people over the years :pac:).

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

I hope we get the best outcome for the future of Irish society and the family unit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Well, regardless of people's thoughts, opinons, or standpoints on Same Sex Marriage; I hope ta fook you're all going out and casting your vote today.

I have no respect for people whinging and bítching about an outcome of a vote if they weren't registered in the first place, were too hungover to bother, or simply couldn't be arsed because it was raining/inconvenient. (yes, these are all real reasons I've heard off people over the years :pac:).

The lack of proper postal voting is another issue.

Americans, Poles, all sorts here are able to vote in their embassies. Pretty sure it's not possible for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Glenman wrote: »
    I hope we get the best outcome for the future of Irish society and the family unit.

Agreed :)
    For me, that is a Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I was stuck in traffic and was at a vantage point in which i could observe several people that were unaware of eachother, one was a group of clean cut canvassers walking back to the main road from an alley, one girl had made it to the path on her own and just caught the finishing touches to what was probably 5 minutes of the most horrendous violent vomiting from an oul one, that had left her house(door open) walked down a bit and f*cking hurled like there was no tomorrow....

finger down throat, puke on her fingers down her hand and under the sleeve, puke on the ground ....savage stuff.....then back into her gaff and shut the door....the lone canvasser then knocked next door and when the rest of her gang came along they assumed they'd go to the other door, then their mate started waving her hands awkwardly like "noooo not that house"....i laughed anyway

Glenman wrote: »

Single parent families and same-sex parent families are family units too. Vote yes for equality...

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Agreed :)
    For me, that is a Yes

For me it's a No. It will be interesting to see how it goes. The Yes result is favourite, but you never know!

Advertisement