Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Temporary Closure of Section of Lough Atalia Road from 23rd March to May, 2015

Options
  • 20-03-2014 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭

According to the City Trib FB page, Lough Atalia will be closed ot traffic for two months to allow the road level be lowered under the railway bridge. I presume this is to facilitate the future development of the Galway Docks?

What a traffic nightmare this is gonna be:mad::mad:
    https://www. youtube.com/watch?v=4AEdxymz4zc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

It says on Connaght Tribune fb that it's being closed to facilitate "lowering the road under the bridge". Presumably thats the railway bridge that trucks have got stuck under once or twice in the last few years.

It's going to be a complete nightmare.
    You'd think it might be easier to just put up lots of signs along all routes leading to that point that there's a bridge ahead that trucks won't fit under.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

It says on Connaght Tribune fb that it's being closed to facilitate "lowering the road under the bridge".

You'd think it might be easier to just put up lots of signs along all routes leading to that point that there's a bridge ahead that trucks won't fit under.

it to facilitate the massive new docks/marina development that will allow cruise ships to berth in the new area

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

It says on Connaght Tribune fb that it's being closed to facilitate "lowering the road under the bridge". Presumably thats the railway bridge that trucks have got stuck under once or twice in the last few years.

In fairness, theres not much point in having the main route to a port being inaccessable to the type of vehicles that need access the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

it to facilitate the massive new docks/marina development that will allow cruise ships to berth in the new area

How will lowering the road facilitate that ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Mmm ... drainage could be interesting ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Sconsey

....annnd I finally have a reason to go buy a bicycle helmet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Kerney's petrol station will go out of business

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

mother-of-god.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

You can still access Lough Atalia from the road at the Fairgreen and from the junction at the bottom of College Road...I presume it's just the stretch from the junction of the Fairgreen to just before the petrol station that will be closed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

here's the link to the Tribune article:

http://www.connachttribune.ie/galway-news/item/2518-traffic-carnage-in-the-offing

as you can see, this hasn't been definitely given the go-ahead yet.
    Angry councillors are being asked to vote on Monday on a project which will have serious implications for traffic in Galway – closing one of the main arteries into the city for up to two months.

The councillors are due to vote on plans to lower the road under the Lough Atalia railway bridge, in order to facilitate heavy goods vehicles, even though the plans had not been circulated to the elected members by last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Notch000

2 months to dig a hole and retar it ???? someone hold my beer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭folbotcar

Well if they do it in the Summer when the schools are out it'll minimise the disruption. But since when have they ever made sensible decisions? The most likely scenario is that College Road will turn into a car park for the duration unless someone gets creative with the signage. A lot of tourist Dublin and south bound traffic seems to head down Lough Atalia for some reason.

The problem however is that it has to be done at some point. Ironically they probably will only have to take it down to the old road level so you can't even blame the original 19th century builders. Actually there wasn't even a road along Lough Atalia back then.

I don't see how it will take two months though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

dilallio wrote: »
    For the 2 months they should terminate the Dublin-Galway & Limerick-Galway routes at Oranmore or Athenry and operate a bus replacement service.

I'm guessing here, but I'd say that a lot more people travel under that bridge every day than over it.

How would this help?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    How would this help?

You are correct - It won't. I misunderstood what they are actually doing here.

/feeling stupid now :o

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Naux

Notch000 wrote: »
    2 months to dig a hole and retar it ???? someone hold my beer

Depends how deep they will be digging the hole!!!! Your beer might be well flat by the time you were finished.................... :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

There is a PDF on the harbour extension site of the proposed change to the bridge.
    http://www.galwayharbourextension.com/?wpdmdl=752

Doesn't it tend to flood under the bridge as it is?
    I wonder how they will manage that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

What was the vote result?

dloob wrote: »
    There is a PDF on the harbour extension site of the proposed change to the bridge.
    http://www.galwayharbourextension.com/?wpdmdl=752

Doesn't it tend to flood under the bridge as it is?
    I wonder how they will manage that.

nice render, still cant see how this work could take anywhere near 2 months,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

They have to make sure that they don't affect the foundation of the railway bridge. It's also worth considering that there have been several projects blown way off by unexpected delays e.g. services that they didn't know were there.

They'll probably have to dig up 2m of roadway to get that 1m drop in, so think of this as a new road construction rather than a resurfacing job. That said, I hope they make sure the surface is right from the moneen in as part of this.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Health & Safety.

They have to work a lot slower than usual in order not to knock that fella in the render off his bike.

just noticed hes not wearing a helmet and should not be on the foot path, luckily there is a cycle path in the second picture that abruptly ends under the bridge where he will most certainly get knocked down as he merges onto the road with traffic, or drond in the spring tide floods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

300383.jpg

That image has Irish Roads Engineer stamped all over it.

Presumably the cyclist is deliberately included. If so, it's a farcical proposal imo.

There is no indication of where the "cycle path" starts, and it ends abruptly for no apparent reason where the footpath takes a sharp turn to the right. It seems that cyclists are expected to proceed (illegally) along the footpath, veer onto the road at a heavily trafficked pinch point, or else teleport to the other side of the bridge.

Lough Atalia Road is already a favourite site for illegal parking and two-way cycling on the footpath. My guess is that this proposed "improvement", "upgrade" or whatever it is be called will reinforce such behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Do you think the bridge is wide enough for a cycle lane though? I don't. There should be a full cycle lane or none whatsoever though. Having one end so abruptly is crazy and will lead to confusion and inevitably, collisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Do you think the bridge is wide enough for a cycle lane though? I don't. There should be a full cycle lane or none whatsoever though. Having one end so abruptly is crazy and will lead to confusion and inevitably, collisions.

You'd swear these cyclists were in the tour de france. Can one not dismount and walk through or maybe take some time to break and wait till its clear. The bridge is ancient and I agree theres defo no room for a cycle lane through the bridge especially when you think of 2 artics passing each other.

The modifications suggested in the image are ridiculous, and have clearly been proposed by someone who is clueless about provision for cycling.

Lough Atalia Road is a busy commuter route for cyclists. Inviting them to cycle on the footpath, or to dismount in order to accommodate congestion-causing motor vehicles, is not a sustainable solution, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    The modifications suggested in the image are ridiculous, and have clearly been proposed by someone who is clueless about provision for cycling.

Lough Atalia Road is a busy commuter route for cyclists. Inviting them to cycle on the footpath, or to dismount in order to accommodate congestion-causing motor vehicles, is not a sustainable solution, imo.

I agree its not ideal but what do you want them to do here. Its the main access to the port. They will hardly spend a few hundred grand suspending or cantelevering something over the water on the other side. There isnt enough room under the bridge for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Iwannahurl wrote: »

So what do cyclists do now, and why can they not continue to keep doing it?

When I used to cycle that route on a regular basis, I always travelled on the road.

I would prefer cyclists to be on the road, since that can be safer and does not involve losing right of way.

However, I am aware that many cyclists feel safer cycling off-road (even if that is a false belief in some circumstances), which is why many of them go up on the footpaths along that road. Speeding is endemic on the Lough Atalia Road, and I recall that ponding was also a significant problem in wet weather. AFAIK, cyclists also use the footpath to avail of this route.

If cyclists are invited by the Council to cycle on the footpaths, as they are in various places around the city, then that sets them up for conflict with pedestrians. On the other hand, a 'solution' often favoured by Irish roads engineers is simply to shunt cyclists onto the road again, at a point arbitrarily decided by said engineers. Ireland's road network is already over-supplied with such travesties (http://dublinobserver.com/2010/10/cycle-lane-highlights-in-dublin/). There's a relatively recent example in Dublin, which I can't find just now, of where cyclists are directed up and down pavements for reasons nothing to do with cycle safety and utility.

I would therefore prefer an on-road solution, where cyclists are prioritised and protected, and where pedestrian space is not reduced.

Lowering the speed limit on Lough Atalia Road would help, or failing that at least strict enforcement of the current limit for starters. IMO the solution should be based on cycle and pedestrian safety on the entire link, taking cognisance of travel patterns on the entire route. Unfortunately, it's highly likely that this project will only be considered in isolation, which means cyclists using that route will just be left to work it out for themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Who is paying for these works? City Council, Galway Harbour or Irishrail?

Advertisement