Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Limerick FC 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭TheBeast17

Taylor has already been sent off in the Munster cup

Under ridiculous circumstances tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 E.Scifo

Why does he have to be a Dub? :confused: That aside Joe Gamble met your criteria fairly well. :D

Ok not a dub but there are a plenty of players from Pats, Bohs, Shels etc who have played a couple of hundred games and could bring that experience which we just dont have.

E.Scifo wrote: »
    Ok not a dub but there are a plenty of players from Pats, Bohs, Shels etc who have played a couple of hundred games and could bring that experience which we just dont have.

They come at a big price though.

TheBeast17 wrote: »
    They come at a big price though.

Agreed but less than Gamble was getting a week

E.Scifo wrote: »
    Agreed but less than Gamble was getting a week

I wouldn't be too sure about that. I know they did speak to one of those type lads and the money he wanted was a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Been reading a few season previews in different places- thought Liam Togher's one was pretty decent.

Decided to do one of my own then, an optimistic one:

http://grabsport.wordpress.com/2014/03/06/limerick-fc-2014-season-preview/

Really, it is hard to know how the season will pan out but I am more optimistic than most. I think Oji is a class act, I think if we can keep Gaffney and Curran fit, we'll do well. Midfield and a lack of pace are my real worries- but I don't think it necessarily has to be a Dub :p Maybe Agyemang will be the answer, hopefully.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Been reading a few season previews in different places- thought Liam Togher's one was pretty decent.

Decided to do one of my own then, an optimistic one:

http://grabsport.wordpress.com/2014/03/06/limerick-fc-2014-season-preview/

Really, it is hard to know how the season will pan out but I am more optimistic than most. I think Oji is a class act, I think if we can keep Gaffney and Curran fit, we'll do well. Midfield and a lack of pace are my real worries- but I don't think it necessarily has to be a Dub :p Maybe Agyemang will be the answer, hopefully.

I think people are being way too down tbh. I actually think our midfield is stronger this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

I think people are being way too down tbh. I actually think our midfield is stronger this year.

I hope you're right,

I would take 7th again right now and move onto to next year at markets field

Duggan might be an individually better player than any of those that left... but I don't see how you could say it's stronger.

I didn't rate Bradley at all... he looked disinterested too often; but O'Leary and Gamble must have started around 60 games between them last season. To replace that, we've got Duggan and a 19-year-old Ghanaian. I hope Nzuzi can slot in nicely at this level though.

Duggan might be an individually better player than any of those that left... but I don't see how you could say it's stronger.

I didn't rate Bradley at all... he looked disinterested too often; but O'Leary and Gamble must have started around 60 games between them last season. To replace that, we've got Duggan and a 19-year-old Ghanaian. I hope Nzuzi can slot in nicely at this level though.

In my opinion.
    Duggan > O'Leary
    Nzuzi >/= Gamble
    Hughes > Bradley

And this 19 year old Ghanain is supposedly quite good. Nzuzi and Hughes will cover ground far better then Gamble and Bradley and as good as Gamble was at getting the foot in him and Bradley struggled to cover the ground in Thomond at times.

I dont think we are missing a defensive midfielder like some people seem to think. Nzuzi is a defensive midfielder that is where he played all his time at Newcastle it was only us that moved him into defence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Gamble and O'Leary cost us quite a few goals at home by losing possession in the middle of the park and not having the legs to get back and cover. Shamrock rovers and Drogheda both scored within a few weeks of each other in Thomond park by stealing the ball off Gamble and hitting it from the edge of the box.

I liked gamble as a player and thought he did a lot of donkey work that went unnoticed but he also cost us a lot of goals. Defense didn't kelp mind.

In my opinion.
    Duggan > O'Leary
    Nzuzi >/= Gamble
    Hughes > Bradley

And this 19 year old Ghanain is supposedly quite good. Nzuzi and Hughes will cover ground far better then Gamble and Bradley and as good as Gamble was at getting the foot in him and Bradley struggled to cover the ground in Thomond at times.

I dont think we are missing a defensive midfielder like some people seem to think. Nzuzi is a defensive midfielder that is where he played all his time at Newcastle it was only us that moved him into defence.

Nzuzi played in midfield a couple of times last season and he looked more suited to a midfielder who covers a lot of ground, a box-to-box player rather than a defensive midfielder. Now, he may be suited to there but there is a big difference between being a defensive-minded player in a 3-man midfield and being the actual holding midfielder (the Gamble role). I hope Nzuzi can do that, but you have to have someone who can make tackles and interceptions on a consistent basis, otherwise you don't get the ball.

Hughes might be better than Bradley, but he's not better than O'Leary or Gamble imo, and while he's a tidy player, he's nothing more than that. He doesn't really have a standout attribute. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh because he is a good player but if you want to push up the league, you need to have players who stand out.

We'll see...

What team do people reckon we'll see tonight? Something like:

..................Murray.......................
    Kelly........Folan...Whitehead Costelloe
    ..................Nzuzi..........................
    ..............Duggan Hughes................
    ......Curran.........Gaffne.....Tracy......

That's assuming that Ryan, Cusack, Williams, Oji, Leahy and Galbraith are all ruled out (that's quite a lot for first game of the season).

If I was picking the team, I'd have Tracy at left-back ahead of Costelloe, with Rainsford in the front 3; but with Tracy playing in an advanced role and scoring so much in pre-season, I'd say he'll go wit that.

And a bench of:

Walsh, Murphy, O'Connor, Feeney, Rainsford, Coughlan, Hanlon.

Maybe Williams might make the bench- it's a decent starting 11 considering the injuries. Bit callow in defence, but Costelloe played plenty of games last season and Whitehead looked decent.

Hughes might be better than Bradley, but he's not better than O'Leary or Gamble imo, and while he's a tidy player, he's nothing more than that.

Yes but Nzuzi and Duggan are so we have replaced players with better ones making us stronger in there imo. Nzuzi did a lot of winning the ball at right back last season I think he will cover Gamble well but time will tell. Hughes in fairness to him is well able to make a tackle too.

My starting team from things I have heard is:

Cusack

Kelly Oji Folan Williams

Duggan Nzuzi Hughes

Tracy Gaffney Curran/Coughlan

Yes but Nzuzi and Duggan are so we have replaced players with better ones making us stronger in there imo. Nzuzi did a lot of winning the ball at right back last season I think he will cover Gamble well but time will tell. Hughes in fairness to him is well able to make a tackle too.

My starting team from things I have heard is:

Cusack

Kelly Oji Folan Williams

Duggan Nzuzi Hughes

Tracy Gaffney Curran/Coughlan

If Oji and Williams are fit, it'd be a big boost. And Cusack tbf, even if I'm not his biggest fan.

If that was the team, I think we'll win 2-0.

If Oji and Williams are fit, it'd be a big boost. And Cusack tbf, even if I'm not his biggest fan.

If that was the team, I think we'll win 2-0.

I knew you were an intelligent chap. Exact same prediction as me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭DBIreland

For anyone who couldn't make it to the game, extratime.ie does a minute by minute update on games. Here is tonight's game http://extratime.ie/fixtures/detail/20236/1/

Very poor game not helped by the pitch. We were 2nd best for all of the 1st half with Bray well on top in the middle.

2nd half was better and we played it a bit until the sending off. Too far away to judge if it was worthy of a 2nd yellow but Duggans tackle in the 1st half was brutal and he was lucky he only got a yellow for it. After that the yellow given to their sub for diving was laughable and the straight red for Cassidy was very harsh. We would have been in trouble against 11 for the last 20 or so. We had a few half chances after that especially a fantastic last ditch tackle on Gafney when he looked in for the winner.

Seeing how the game went I was happy with the point in the end along with the clean sheet. Lets hope for better in the weeks ahead.

Fairly disappointing performance, game was poor, pitch was awful, and we didn't seem to have much of a gameplan. Too much hoofing, not enough movement from the front players and the midfield weren't confident playing it around.

Ref was awful too, I didn't think Duggan dived, I'd have to see it again but it was harsh. Their red card was a joke, was a yellow card at most... Akinade's yellow was never one either. I think the ref tried too hard to lay down the law early on and made things difficult for himself- as it was Nzuzi was lucky to stay on the field, some stupid decisions by him.

Defensively, we were solid throughout. Cusack made one good save, but wasn't really tested otherwise, was solid. Kelly was very good, particularly in the 2nd half, deserved his MotM. But again, I wish he'd overlap more. Folan was excellent, Williams was very good... Oji made more mistakes tonight than he did in the whole of last season, I'd say, but made a few crucial blocks and interventions. Was beaten in the air by Akinade...

Hughes was good, Duggan was okay but the pitch caught him a few times... Nzuzi was okay but for his stupidity.

In attack was the real problem, we had no idea what to do- Rainsford was very poor, looked completely off the pace, lacked aggression. Tracy was anonymous... Gaffney was doing it all himself, but he couldn't cross the ball to himself. Not enough people in the box, not enough movement in attack, not enough passing... it wasn't good at all. Even when they didn't clear the throw-ins, we didn't attack them at all well. If that's a tactic, surely we have know how to do it?

Best chances were Gaffney's, brilliant tackle by Mitchell (who spent most of the game fouling Gaffney but got away with it); Oji's header, either side of the keeper and it was in; Gaffney didn't strike a chance at the far post first-time, took it down and ballooned off left; and Kelly after being set up by Hughes maybe should have done a bit better.

Bray weren't good, we weren't either. Lacked invention, missed Curran. Must do better.

Very hard for Kelly or Williams doing anything going forward when they have nothing in the box to aim for when they do get on the ball. Exact same problems as last season with nobody helping the man up front no-one going pass him from midfield. This style of play Taylor stuck to all last season is poor tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Our Brian

Terrible stuff again last night, Taylor would want to get the finger out fast or we're in big trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Poor game but on the brighter side we have another striker on the way. Tam McManus. He's in his 30's but seems to have scored goals wherever he has gone. Previous clubs Dunfermline, Derry, Colorado Rapids amoung them.

Very hard for Kelly or Williams doing anything going forward when they have nothing in the box to aim for when they do get on the ball. Exact same problems as last season with nobody helping the man up front no-one going pass him from midfield. This style of play Taylor stuck to all last season is poor tbh.

This is very true... but Rainsford and Tracy were doing absolutely nothing. They didn't seem to know how to play the positions they were in.

They weren't supporting Gaffney, they weren't getting wide, they weren't supporting the midfield, they weren't picking up balls in the pockets between the midfield and defence.

That's a tactical issue really, if you're going to play that formation, the players should know how to play their position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Jofspring wrote: »
    Poor game but on the brighter side we have another striker on the way. Tam McManus. He's in his 30's but seems to have scored goals wherever he has gone. Previous clubs Dunfermline, Derry, Colorado Rapids amoung them.

Don't know about that summation of him...

His played 322 games(for 11 different clubs) scoring 69 goals

This is very true... but Rainsford and Tracy were doing absolutely nothing. They didn't seem to know how to play the positions they were in.

They weren't supporting Gaffney, they weren't getting wide, they weren't supporting the midfield, they weren't picking up balls in the pockets between the midfield and defence.

That's a tactical issue really, if you're going to play that formation, the players should know how to play their position.

I don't think I have seen him do anything positive since his goals v UCD. Shows no potential imo. Garbhan Coughlan should take that spot imo until Craig Curran is back and then I think we need a new formation.

I don't think I have seen him do anything positive since his goals v UCD. Shows no potential imo. Garbhan Coughlan should take that spot imo until Craig Curran is back and then I think we need a new formation.

I don't actually agree with that, I think Rainsford is very talented, he brings pace and power and when he gets running directly at defenders, he's a real threat. It's an asset we should be trying to use more often, but I don't think he played well at all against Bray.

Would be nice to win tonight, but I have my doubts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Lads, quick question about parking around Thomond, whats the story with the Limerick games? Ye are playing us (Athlone) on 18th April - Good Friday, and I'm thinking of going along and bringing the car. I know for Munster games there's a park and ride but would it be safe to presume there'd only be a couple of thousand max at this game? Would I get away with leaving it close to the stadium?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Lads, quick question about parking around Thomond, whats the story with the Limerick games? Ye are playing us (Athlone) on 18th April - Good Friday, and I'm thinking of going along and bringing the car. I know for Munster games there's a park and ride but would it be safe to presume there'd only be a couple of thousand max at this game? Would I get away with leaving it close to the stadium?

you can park in LIT, just behind the stadium :)

EA Cup

Cork 1 - 0 Limerick @ half time, from reading our own twitter feed we have been fairly poor with Cork dominating

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭banjobongo

from twitter feed, we are now 2 nill down after a Cork penalty.

• Advertisement

4-0 now...its going to be a very long season i'd imagine

Advertisement