Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cycling/Walking around the city

• 30-07-2011 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2 vale8jabs

Its a shame more people don't cycle given the compact size of Galway city and the problems with traffic congestion. What can be done to encourage cycling in the city? personally I find many of the roads are unsafe for cyclists at present.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm thinking of getting this

flagrear.jpg
    This flag sticks out to the side of your bike on a flexible shaft, so as you ride, the highly visible and reflective flag catches the attention of passing drivers. Instead of focusing on going around the centre of your bike, they're focusing on going around this little flag.
    The result is a wider pass and more room for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

vale8jabs wrote: »
    Its a shame more people don't cycle given the compact size of Galway city and the problems with traffic congestion. What can be done to encourage cycling in the city? personally I find many of the roads are unsafe for cyclists at present.

I cycle a bit here and there once there is no heavy showers forcast:D
    One thing that I don't like is locking up. Either there's nowhere safe and secure to lock up or, if there is, other cyclist just feck there bike anywhere, blocking/scratching my bike which I like to look after.
    A lot of motorists(and I have seen this as a motorist myself), don't pay enough attention to cyclists either, which can be intimidating to some...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Agreed, locking up is a pain. As are the gombeens who feel the need to mess with/steal/damage one's bike.
    biko wrote: »

flagrear.jpg

Just be sure to put it on the other side or you're in trouble...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

flagrear.jpg

That wouldn't last a day on my bike. Too used to having only 3 incles of clearance on either side me. :( Big thing I find works on the four-wheelers is having a high-vis jacket. Not one of those crappy bibs the RSA handout, something with sleeves. It makes people aware of your full width and hand gestures stand are clearly visible. Doesn't stop the four-wheelers being stupid and taking risks but I find they tend to cut me off out of ignorance a bit less.

Getting rid of the roundabouts will be a positive step, but if you really want to encourage cycling you have to create a couple of dedicated thoroughfares in and out of the city for cyclists only. Which will never happen because it would require one of the bridges being dedicated to cyclists and blocked off to cars, the notion of which causes the four-wheelers to froth at the mouth and fantasize about deliberately running us down.

Seriously, dedicated routes for cyclists is the only way to go. Not those crappy tacked on footpaths come cyclepaths, but full on dedicated tracks/roads completely blocked off to cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭orangebud

got hit my a landrover today it happened on the exit galway shopping center, lol i don't know how he didnt see me, i just got up and kept going (must have been in shock) i think the landrover took most of the damage

apart from that galway is a safe city to cycle apart from a few L drivers straight out of there nappies thinking that they own the road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Cyclist hit yesterday on Shantalla Rd, ambulance called. Hopefully it wasn't too serious.

Watched a car clip a cyclist on Rahoon Rd (into Shantalla stretch) two days ago, car drove on, cyclist wobbled, stopped and continued.

Fairly frequent occurrence in daylight on that road tbh, so *not* very safe there at least.

Don't get the non-lit cyclists there either. It's bad enough when you're fully visible, why make it easier to be hit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 julio_delg

Hi there,

Does any of you know what would be the time necessary to go from Salthill (Baley point), to Merview, at about 8:00 in weekdays?

Many thanks

By bike/foot/bus/car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 julio_delg

By bike/foot/bus/car?

Sorry, I though it was implied by the name of the thread.

I meant cycling.

Thanks.

Just checking.
    From Salthill to Mervue by bike mornings, about 20 mins depending on how fast you are, rain, wind, inshallah, etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Inisboffin,

Surprised to read that re Shantalla Rd and Rahoon Rd, as I cycle that way to work most days. I didn't think it was a bad road for cyclists, I'm usually so relieved to get off Seamus Quirke Road, where there are lots of speeding motorists, that I relax a bit going down that road.

I still love cycling to work, even if it's not always fully safe. I arrive with more energy, fresher, and less stressed than when I used to take the car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Rahoon/Shantalla road are used as a rat run and motorists speed regularly. There are no traffic lights to contend with or perceived delays for the motorist.
    I've had far too many near misses there as a cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I actually had motorist move out of my way yesterday. I had on a hi-vis jacket with sleeves. I got it last week after being nearly run down by a b@st@rd truck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

celty wrote: »
    Inisboffin,

Surprised to read that re Shantalla Rd and Rahoon Rd, as I cycle that way to work most days. I didn't think it was a bad road for cyclists, I'm usually so relieved to get off Seamus Quirke Road, where there are lots of speeding motorists, that I relax a bit going down that road.

I still love cycling to work, even if it's not always fully safe. I arrive with more energy, fresher, and less stressed than when I used to take the car.

Yeah, it's a bit of a nightmare, not just for bikes but constant car near misses from the side going down. People don't seem to look coming out. Glad you haven't been clipped though. Sure we'll keep on cyclin'! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

julio_delg wrote: »
    Hi there,

Does any of you know what would be the time necessary to go from Salthill (Baley point), to Merview, at about 8:00 in weekdays?

Many thanks

I used to do that route at about 9am every day a few years back and it took me about 15-20 minutes. I'd consider myself a slow cyclist though so it could be done faster. In the rain and wind it's nasty though, especially along Lough Atalia, so I'd recommend some decent waterproof gear!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭harryd2

julio_delg wrote: »
    Hi there,

Many thanks

I do that route everyday on bicycle.
    It takes me 15mins, I cycle fast.
    By car takes similar time or longer depending on time of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

In regards to the OP, the bike2work scheme has been a success is getting people to pick up a new bike. The trick is convinving them to ride even in bad weather. Remind anyone considering the scheme that accessories count so you can maximize savings on an otherwise expensive waterproof jacket and trousers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

newkie wrote: »
    In regards to the OP, the bike2work scheme has been a success is getting people to pick up a new bike. The trick is convinving them to ride even in bad weather. Remind anyone considering the scheme that accessories count so you can maximize savings on an otherwise expensive waterproof jacket and trousers.

Yep, I agree that the bike2work scheme has been worthwhile, but it's a shame that some companies have restrictions on who you can buy from..
    My advise is to price around for everything especially online...
    I got my latest bike through this scheme purely because I didn't have to pay lump sum. The bike I purchased and accessories could have been bought online cheaper even taking the discount into account...
    If you are on high tax the savings are more lucrative afaik..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭VanhireBoys

I done the same - Back cycling now all the time ! Its not that dangerous TBH - you just have to keep your wits about you !

I seen a cyclist nearly come a cropper along the Salthill prom last night - a lady opened the door of her Clio as he cycled past ! She never looked !

It was close ! :eek:

Lets be careful out there !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Its not that dangerous TBH - you just have to keep your wits about you !
    Agree + if you have the cycling skills it makes a big difference cycling in a town like Galway. Galway Cycling Campaign have a very good Cycle Skills leaflet. Usually can pick them up at bike shops or the library.
    I seen a cyclist nearly come a cropper along the Salthill prom last night - a lady opened the door of her Clio as he cycled past ! She never looked !

It was close ! :eek:

Did he have to swerve to avoid collision or had he given himself enough clearance?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭VanhireBoys

Fare play to him he had enough clearance to avoid it - Gave him a right fright but.... ! Made me think about parked cars ..!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Morgoth

I recently started a regular commute from Westside up to Parkmore East business park. Route is:

Cross the Quincentennial bridge (using "cycle" lane / footpath), through the Tesco roundabout (as a car would) and up Sean Mulvoy, through cemetary cross and out the Tuam road to the roundabout (Font?), then up to the Ballybane roundabout (Morris?), then out the dual-carriageway and into Parkmore from the Briarhill roundabout. I behave as a car would on all roads except on the bridge. Don't use the cycle lane on Bothar na dTreabh as it's ****e for re-entry into traffic at the Ballybane roundabout.

Observations:
    - Every other morning I get beeped at (usually by a jeep?) either between the two roundabouts on Bother na dTreabh (for not using the cycle lane I guess) or else on the dual-carriageway (not sure why - I stay on the road but hug the line of the hard-shoulder, not in anyone's way..). This is around 7:30/7:45am so it's not like there's loads of traffic either. :/

- Fumes are a problem coming home (same route). Traffic is sometimes heavy coming back in the Tuam road, sometimes going down Sean Mulvoy, and always on the bridge between 5-7pm. Thinking of using something like this.

- It's easier to avoid the cycle lanes as this results in a much more free-flowing journey, even when obeying traffic lights etc. Also the roads are kept free of glass, cycle lanes are not. Definitely need more high-vis gear though for when the evenings get darker.

I'd love it if there was a lane on the road, that was kept free of glass, with a smooth surface, on all the major commuter routes around the city. That would especially include Lough Atalia, the old Dublin road, the Q-bridge, the Tuam road, the Ballybane road, all the dual carriage-ways, Seamus Quirke (we're getting a cycle path, will it be on the road? probably not) and probably a few others (any other routes to Knocknacarra/Salthill, etc.).

For any mid to long distance commute a road bike is IMHO essential and you need a good quality surface for these bikes given their lack of shock absorption and thin tyres. The bike to work scheme is great but the road infrastructure on the main routes around the city just isn't there to support a massive adoption of cycle-commuters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I used to cycle a lot around the city and now I have become a motorist and I see cyclists in a different light. Very few actually give a signal or have a light of their bike. Its a pain when the lights turn in your favour and a cyclist shoots in front of you cos he has broken the lights. They do not seem to be subject to any laws.

Morgoth,

Congratulations and welcome to the club. I think your daily commute is more stressful than mine from Westside to the city centre, but I wouldn't go back to the car because I simply feel healthier when I get into work.

Presumably, when the traffic is heavier on your way home, you are actually passing out the cars?

The so called cycle lanes across the Quincentennial Bridge road are a disgrace and it would not cost the City Council that much to do them up. It's ironic they used to have signs encouraging people to cycle at the traffic lights when their own roads and roadworks are turning people off taking to the bikes.

I still find the main roads scary, such as when I arrive back onto the roundabout at Corrib Park.

Fuinseog, I also take your point. But as BOTH a cyclist and a car owner I find the attitude of some motorists (ie that cyclists don't exist) a lot scarier and a lot more dangerous and harmful than the odd cyclist who decides to break a red light.

Are the fumes that bad? I couldn't imagine cycling to work every day in Bangkok or Delhi, where you'd definitely need a face mask ... in Galway, I still tell myself that I'm breathing in fresh air!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

its not a black or white issue. There seems to be an attitude in this country that if you cycle you must be poor so it hardly comes as a surprise that motorists honk at what they consider to be a lesser being.
    attitudes would change if more people got on their bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

i dont agree that cycling is seen with an attitude of rich or poor.

Its common place on the contintent to give a beep overtaking a cyclist if a section of roadway is considered tight.
    I think too many people take issue with their hows my driving/cycling. Just get on with it. Fact of life is people are going to do stupid manoeuvres in all modes of transport, you just have to be prepared to avoid the obstacles that come in your way.

Im a regular driver and mainly cyclist from Furbo to Oranmore at all hours of day and night. I could write a book along with everyone else here on the stuff we see each day, thing is we live to tell the tale and worry about our own actions.

Galway has its problems traffic wise for both cyclists and motorists but at the same time its still a special city to cycle in, whether its through the fog along lough atalia and rising above it going up renmore, or out along the coast at salthill in a sunset, there isnt many places that are as lucky as us for scenery as we commute.

celty wrote: »
    It's ironic they used to have signs encouraging people to cycle at the traffic lights when their own roads and roadworks are turning people off taking to the bikes.

These signs are from the Galway Cycling Campaign - not City Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

Fuinseog wrote: »
    I used to cycle a lot around the city and now I have become a motorist and I see cyclists in a different light. Very few actually give a signal or have a light of their bike. Its a pain when the lights turn in your favour and a cyclist shoots in front of you cos he has broken the lights. They do not seem to be subject to any laws.
    Cyclists are subject to laws governing road use, the problem is a lack of enforcement by the Gardai that would remind cyclists of this fact. I cycle most days and I see plenty of traffic offences from motorists and cyclists go unpunished so there's no incentive to behave correctly.

• Advertisement

Morgoth wrote: »
    I recently started a regular commute from Westside up to Parkmore East business park.
    Been doing a similar commute for 6 years on the bike. 1 st year did the same route as yourself on a mountainbike on the cycle paths which where very hard on the bike but now have a hybrid road bike and go via Shantalla -> Lough Atalia -> Monivea Rd. Its 1.5km longer - but a better commute as avoid the stop starts between the roundabouts and it is not as hard on the bike from mounting and dismounting kerbs on the cycle path + the poor surface. Takes same length of time.
    Morgoth wrote: »
    For any mid to long distance commute a road bike is IMHO essential and you need a good quality surface for these bikes given their lack of shock absorption and thin tyres.

Agree if your doing 8km+ but alot of people in Galway could just use standard city bikes if their commute was in the 2->8km range.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement