Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

kerry blue breeders Munster region

Options
  • 21-05-2015 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi,
    I'm planning on getting a kerry blue for my dad for his birthday, but I'm struggling to find breeders of the dogs, I managed to find two dogs for sale one in Donegal and one in Louth but neither had papers....

I was wondering if anyone knows any breeders, looking for a dog around September October try and get around his birthday although no big deal if we can't.

Also if people have a knowledge of the breed, are the healthy are there any genetic problems associated with the breed in ireland? All info would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭embraer170

There is/was a kerry blue breeder in Tarbert. I googled it but I can't find any reference to kerry blues for sale in Tarbert so he might be long gone. I think he owned one of the pubs in town, but that's not all that helpful I know.

They are a fairly vicious breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 pat potter

embraer170 wrote: »
    There is/was a kerry blue breeder in Tarbert. I googled it but I can't find any reference to kerry blues for sale in Tarbert so he might be long gone. I think he owned one of the pubs in town, but that's not all that helpful I know.

thanks anyway there proving hard to find,

I'm aware of their temperament... but we live out in the country, there is no young kids in the house either. They need a lot of socializing early in life, but my dad has all ways been a massive fan... he used to have a half kerry blue that he was mad about... great watch dog... good with kids but can be aggressive against men and other dogs...

But as long as you put the time in they should be ok... but I can't seem to find any for sale so it might not be that easy to get one

• Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Thanks,
    that price is about twice the price I expected for a kerry blue!! :( I thought around the 400 mark, is that the realistic price of kerry blue's or is that because both the parents are show dogs?

I sent an email to the Irish kennel club, there has to be a few registered breeders in Ireland... shouldn't there??

• Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm not too versed in prices of that specific breed but in general you will always pay more for a full breed where the parents have a good pedigree also. That and the fact they are in short supply doesn't make prices cheap.

• Advertisement

I managed to find someone up the north,

Hi Patrick
    I am actually a KBT person and Sec of the Ulster KBT Club as well as the Irish Terrier Club.

Two lads up north have litters at present,

Sam Moffett – Tel:Mod Edit to remove phone number from public forum.
    Mark Cushnahan - Tel: Mod Edit to remove phone number from public forum.

But im hoping to find a couple closer to home by october, I just thought with the name there would be breeders around the kerry region

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Have you considered the Standard Schnauzer? We had them for years and best guard dogs we ever had.
    The standard would be closest to the KBT in size.
    Miniature would be too small and Giant, too big.

To be honest its only the Kerry Blue we have been looking at, and if it wasn't one of them we probably wouldn't bother. we had one dog for 20 years, which left a hole when he died. So if were going to replace him we want it to be a Kerry Blue. Its the only dog the father said he would want to own....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

embraer170 wrote: »

Very sweeping statement there. I grew up around kerrys my whole life and my own kids are now growing up with them, they are definitely not a vicious breed! No dog is vicious, bad owners make vicious dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

If you post in the Animals and Pets forums you might get some more info, also have you checked with the IKC for breeders and are you 100% sure your dad wants a puppy for his birthday?!

Ooops ETA I seen you have already posted there!

• Advertisement

And if you don't mind where did you get the dog from.... are you still in contact with them? Also how much did you pay..... if you don't mind, prices seem to vary a lot, from 400 - 1000 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

I know you said you didnt want to compromise but if you had to would you look at a Wheaten Terrier?
    Very similar

On actually really like the Wheaton terrier.... it's a class looking terrier! :) ... but would I not have the same problem trying to source one?

It's also depending on my man and sisters... it was their idea, I just had the job to try and find one... so there fairly set on a kerry, as it's the only dog dad had talked about...

They didn't even know what a kerry looked like until I showed them a pic.... so if I was buying for them I could just get them a Wheaton they wouldn't no the difference... but dad would... not sure if they would go for a different breed

We have wheatons too, hers some pics

And the kerry blue

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

ring the irish kennel club - they gave me the name of a reputable breeder for lab that i got!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

We got our wheaten back around listowel about 7.5 years ago. Were on the look out for 1 a long time but she is fantastic such a baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Blue and collie cross tend to have better temperament but meet the mother first

Advertisement