Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Universal basic income trial in Finland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭Harika

All well and good until you go to look to get a mortgage to buy a home, or a loan for a car to travel to work, only to find out that the nurses and cleaners don't know how to process your application.

I remember a carpenter telling me years ago that my job in Software Development was useless in comparison to what he could produce with his hands.

Funny thing I just read an article about why we don't have flying cars yet. And the (provocative) answer was, because we are busy filling out paperwork. And if you look at the development since the 80s the main advantages here have been made in having more paperwork thrown at us. How often have you filled out your name, DOB and so on this year? 10/20 times?
    Last time I was in a bank I was talking with some bank employee 30 minutes who then filled out my paperwork with all information they already had about me, but are not able to link and process it automatically. FML
    Especially you in SW Development should see the potential to save time in automatising this processes and stop the waste of our time and with AI this will hopefully go away.
    So it depends really what you do in SW development? Are you saving or costing more time? Cause I really like time and a well build house.

Harika wrote: »
    And it is in their interest, as history has shown that nothing is more dangerous for them than big parts of a population that have nothing to do.

I disagree as the UBI is a possible solution to the problem.

It is also in the interests of the wealthy that the general population is getting some kind of income so they can spend it, the share holders in the businesses where that money is spent get dividents based on that spending.

So it is better to have a spending population, that's why they are wealthy.

It is also in the interests of the wealthy that the general population is getting some kind of income so they can spend it, the share holders in the businesses where that money is spent get dividents based on that spending.

So it is better to have a spending population, that's why they are wealthy.

An article where a rich one points it out too:
    https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/06/the-pitchforks-are-coming-for-us-plutocrats-108014

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Correct, it isn't money that makes an economy rich, it's how often it changes hands. That is the biggest negative of a recession. Everyone stops spending and goes saving.

Ush1 wrote: »
    History has shown that the rich don't like paying tax, and who defines who is rich is a dangerous thing.

UBI may not solve a problem that may never come, just as much as the current systems in place, so yes I disagree there.

The rich either pay taxes or pay for a private army to protect them from the locals, go to just about any country that has no social benefits system at all and look at the guards around the homes of the eliete that live there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

People don't seem to be getting the idea that UBI would actually result in a fall in income for the people that accumulate benefits, it's beneficial to the part timers who can't get more hours, the low paid and people who are raising kids but need reduced hours. These aren't scroungers the scroungers will be loosing out.

Personally I am massively in favour of the system but it requires at least two provisions.

UBI is it, no additional payments no rent allowance no community welfare handouts nothing extra (disabilities stuff might require a look at).

The benefit has to be extremely restricted in terms of who can gain it otherwise it would be a huge draw for migrants.

Of course in Ireland neither of those two would be applied and the system would fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

People don't seem to be getting the idea that UBI would actually result in a fall in income for the people that accumulate benefits, it's beneficial to the part timers who can't get more hours, the low paid and people who are raising kids but need reduced hours. These aren't scroungers the scroungers will be loosing out.

Personally I am massively in favour of the system but it requires at least two provisions.

UBI is it, no additional payments no rent allowance no community welfare handouts nothing extra (disabilities stuff might require a look at).

The benefit has to be extremely restricted in terms of who can gain it otherwise it would be a huge draw for migrants.

Of course in Ireland neither of those two would be applied and the system would fail.

it certainly wouldnt work with the leaky borders at present, europe and the us would both have to build a wall

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 16,124 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

silverharp wrote: »
    it certainly wouldnt work with the leaky borders at present, europe and the us would both have to build a wall

People who come here at the moment can't work or even get the dole.

I don't think anyone would be against limiting UBI to people who have lived/worked here for a while.

Grayson wrote: »

I don't think anyone would be against limiting UBI to people who have lived/worked here for a while.

One of the problem you would face if only Ireland applies it, would be that all EU members would be eligible to get it, as you cannot give Irish people benefits but not e.g. Hungarians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Malayalam

It will probably come due to automation and the need for consumers.

It should be global when it does.

If you want to maintain independent political and philosophical thought and action you should probably ensure you have an income independent of state provision/ UBI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Water John wrote: »
    Correct, it isn't money that makes an economy rich, it's how often it changes hands. That is the biggest negative of a recession. Everyone stops spending and goes saving.
    I would call that a smart move, not a negative a lot of people over spend on stuff they cant either afford or if smth was to happen they would be broke within month.

scamalert wrote: »
    I would call that a smart move, not a negative a lot of people over spend on stuff they cant either afford or if smth was to happen they would be broke within month.
    There needs to be a balance between saving and spending, recently, there has been too much emphasis on spending which is good for business but bad for personal financial responsibility. But with an economic model that demands growth and "safe" saving schemes cannot provide returns that match the losses caused by inflation, this discourages saving.

One of the problem you would face if only Ireland applies it, would be that all EU members would be eligible to get it, as you cannot give Irish people benefits but not e.g. Hungarians.

You can refuse benefits. The UK already does it. It's a myth that the EU forces countries to do that.

Plus, UBI would be the equivalent of the dole. We don't have millions turning up here to get the dole.

There needs to be a balance between saving and spending, recently, there has been too much emphasis on spending which is good for business but bad for personal financial responsibility. But with an economic model that demands growth and "safe" saving schemes cannot provide returns that match the losses caused by inflation, this discourages saving.

There's also the question of whether we even need a capitalist system in the future. With AI and automation we may reach a point where no-one really needs to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

No, the money in the hands of the unemployed would remain about the same, the real difference will be that it removes the stigma of "being unemployed" and it allows the freedom of working part time without being penalised.

Ultimately, it will mainly benefit minimum wage part time workers.
    Those who can't work or can't find work will at least not feel like "scroungers".

It will also allow the natives to lake on work that only migrants currently do as it will supplement their UBI.

Migrants won't be eligible for the first few years in the country or they will have to claim it from their home countries.

Every last thing you have typed in this post is underpinned by an assumption that prices remain the same in the economy. When incomes rise - prices rise. That is Economics 101 I should have thought?

The UBI is nonsense, an attempt at some kind of macroeconomic alchemy that cannot work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

OFC who likes to pay taxes? Still sometimes people have to be forced to their luck.

Again that's another topic, automation and people being jobless is a completely different discussion to the introduction of UBI now.

The rich either pay taxes or pay for a private army to protect them from the locals, go to just about any country that has no social benefits system at all and look at the guards around the homes of the eliete that live there.

They already pay progressive taxes, UBI is universal, it's not solving any current issue but very likely will cause inflation.

topper75 wrote: »
    Every last thing you have typed in this post is underpinned by an assumption that prices remain the same in the economy. When incomes rise - prices rise. That is Economics 101 I should have thought?

The UBI is nonsense, an attempt at some kind of macroeconomic alchemy that cannot work.

Their trump card seems to be, but we will raise taxes on the wealthy! It's very original altogether.

They already pay progressive taxes, UBI is universal, it's not solving any current issue but very likely will cause inflation.

Depends on the UBI, if it equals the amount of the dole, it won't cause inflation.

Depends on the UBI, if it equals the amount of the dole, it won't cause inflation.

Yes it will because by definition everyone gets it. Otherwise it isn't universal.

• Advertisement

Their trump card seems to be, but we will raise taxes on the wealthy! It's very original altogether.

Ha ha - again the macroeconomic equivalent for trying to turn base metals into gold! :D

These people clearly are macroeconomic illiterates.

Of course it causes inflation!!!!!!

The availability of goods and services is fixed in the short term.

When more money chases those goods and services.... wait for it ... PRICES RISE!

Yes it will because by definition everyone gets it. Otherwise it isn't universal.

What you get more in the UBI, you will lose from taxation. So now you might get 2200 a month from your employer and keep 2000. With the UBI you will get 2200 from your employer, you keep 1000 and add 1000 UBI. So nothing really changes.
    Someone at the dole gets 1000 dole now, and in future 1000 UBI. Again no change.

Really - if no change - then the next obvious question

Why bother?

What you get more in the UBI, you will lose from taxation. So now you might get 2200 a month from your employer and keep 2000. With the UBI you will get 2200 from your employer, you keep 1000 and add 1000 UBI. So nothing really changes.
    Someone at the dole gets 1000 dole now, and in future 1000 UBI. Again no change.

Two things.

1. That will still cause inflation. I'm not bothering explaining if you don't understand how.
    2. If nothing changes, why bother?

topper75 wrote: »
    Really - if no change - then the next obvious question

Why bother?

To save money, as atm you need to control who gets the dole, check on them so that they look for jobs and so on. All those people can be fired, what saves money.
    That is very simplified and if you want to know more, there is tons of literature out there that have calculations, effects and far more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,174 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You can refuse benefits. The UK already does it. It's a myth that the EU forces countries to do that.

Plus, UBI would be the equivalent of the dole. We don't have millions turning up here to get the dole.

We cannot afford UBI if it is set at the equivalent of the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

UBI is inevitable as increased automation and AI starts to replace the lower-skill/manual jobs in the next decade or two - the limiting factor on this happening will be regulatory as Government's try to get ready/adapt rather than technological.

With UBI comes a whole new economic model. A lot of the arguments against it in this thread are based on current models - models which are arguably failing societies in the Western world and elsewhere. The rich get richer, wealth is hoarded and only the relative scraps make it to the majority (trickle-down indeed!).

UBI will not just be a replacement income for the dole/low-skill jobs.. it'll be the start of a fundamental shift away from the capitalist model - but it's coming, and it needs to be prepared for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

The public sector -v- private sector battle is a complete false flag, both are very expensive and can be very inefficient or efficient depending on the management.

The only real difference is that public sector profits go back to the government and private sector profits go to shareholders.

It's in the interests of shareholders everywhere that private sector is preferred over public sector.

TBH I don't much care for Government nor shareholders. I only go on my own experience dealing with civil servants in a particular department. My blood pressure will go up too much if I get into the stuff I know, some of it in the public domain, some not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

It's technically true that people cant arrive and claim the dole, but people can subsist of various state given benefits until they have accrued enough years of residency to claim unemployment allowance or similar, a good recent example would be the Nigerian identity fraudsters couple that there was a recent thread about.

IMO something like 3 full years PRSI contributions (spread over upto 4 years) or 6 years provable legal residency over the last 10-12 years (in the ROI/island of Ireland depending how you feel about one nation stuff) would be about the right level of requirements.

Now remember under UBI there isn't meant to be any other benefits.

In terms of the PRSI requirement that's long enough to show that a person is capable of finding at least consistent contract work that can sustain themselves under normal circumstances so it will probably be not be the very bottom end of the barrel work.
    Nearly every mainland European I know myself would easily satisfy these requirements.

The residency requirements are long enough that it should preclude anyone moving straight from the asylum process to UBI or someone moving from a EU location doing a single long contact them landing on benefits. It also would not preclude most younger Irish people as they would have provable residence from education etc and the fact the 6 years could be spread over a decade or so means that people aren't locked out of the system for going to somewhere like Oz for a while.

A potential issue is that of availability of the UBI to those that are overseas, part of the use of things like this is that a good part of the money returns to the Irish economy, it doesn't do much good if somebody can draw it down in Thailand for multiple decades. A potential solution would be if somebody doesn't pop up on revenue systems via PRSI payments have the UBI time limited unless some level of engagement with social services.

Advertisement