Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Officially Picking Things Up And Putting Them Down Again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Beau wrote: »
    Well,

I'm entering the below beginner competition. It'll be my first one. I'm a rugby player first but this would tie in nicely as I come to the end of my pre preseason. You don't have to get all the gear etc but if you don't your score isn't official. I'd like to do it properly even if it's not a serious comp. So what do I need!? I bought this belt in the below link which i think is allowed and I have Adidas lifting shoes. I need a singlet, anything else?

Belt: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M62IER7/ref=pe_385721_37038051_TE_3p_dp_1

Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1026502100814097/?ti=cl

All you need is singlet, cotton t-shirt, budgie smugglers. Knee high socks for deads. Other than that, you should be ok.

Best of luck and enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Cheers, would rugby socks be OK?

What's the story with the gear anyway? Why not just let you lift in whatever clothes you want?

Oh, last thing, I'm 95kg. I was just going to rock up and lift but seeing the weight classes I'd be bundled in with much heavier guys (think 105kg is the max?). Should I try and get to 93kg or just leave it? I'm thinking just leave it but interested to hear opinions.

Cheers, would rugby socks be OK?

What's the story with the gear anyway? Why not just let you lift in whatever clothes you want?

Oh, last thing, I'm 95kg. I was just going to rock up and lift but seeing the weight classes I'd be bundled in with much heavier guys (think 105kg is the max?). Should I try and get to 93kg or just leave it? I'm thinking just leave it but interested to hear opinions.

You could say that about most sports etc that have codes around what you wear, tbf. Something like the jocks rule is so there is no potential (lifting) support/benefit from them. You could say it's ok to wear a jumper and trackie bottoms but then someone puts on gear underneath.

Rugby socks should be fine. It's just to stop shin blood getting on the bar.

Just go and lift. Don't cut. It doesn't matter what grade you're in at this point. It's about going out and trying to get some PRs on the platform. Where that places you is kind of irrelevant.

Yeah fair point. Thanks. Cool, looking forward to it anyway. Living in Dublin and going to make it a weekend away in Derry with the girlfriend :) .

I presume converse are fine for the deadlifts?

Yeah fair point. Thanks. Cool, looking forward to it anyway. Living in Dublin and going to make it a weekend away in Derry with the girlfriend :) .

I presume converse are fine for the deadlifts?

Yeah Cons are fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

Just go and do it ... a singlet would be nice but it's a novice comp so shorts and t-shirt will be fine.

Rugby socks are fine for deadlifts and cons are ideal .. I wear cons for all my lifts .. lifting shoes dont do anything for my squat.

It's your first comp so my advice .. don't go out and spend a fortune on clothes and gear .. you might decide it's not for you and waste the cash. Don't even think about weight classes ... just weight in and lift; you are only competing with yourself.

Make sure you know the rules ... you would not believe the amount of people who fail lifts based upon ignoring or ignorance of simple rules. Things like waiting for commands, putting the bar back down under control, arse, heels or head lifting in the bench etc.

I've no doubt you'll enjoy the day.

I can't tell if you have a coach or are totally self thought ? It would be worth while contacting a local powerlifting gym to pop in for a session and go through the lifts, rules and your form ... it's a very friendly sport and gyms with powerlifting teams are very welcoming to new lifters and offering advise.

I have everything bar a singlet, so if I can pick one up cheap, I will.

Yeah, I'm self thought but in the past I've done crossfit and other group class style gyms where they do coaching. Will read up on the competition rules though, thanks. It would be crap to miss a lift over a rule break.

Yeah, I'm self thought but in the past I've done crossfit and other group class style gyms where they do coaching. Will read up on the competition rules though, thanks. It would be crap to miss a lift over a rule break.

The one rule people miss on, in my limited experience, is not waiting for commands. Especially in the squat when they don't wait for the rack command after finishing the squat. Start-press-rack commands for bench take a bit of getting used to as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Yeah half the time during training I'll do my little pause before reracking after a squat just for habit

Since you have no exposure to a competition before i'd really recommend having a session in a powerlifting gym.

But as for the comp here are a few things that i'd advise based on my limited experience.

Preparing for the day

Take the week before the comp as a de-load week and don't lift anything .. others may be able to explain the science behind it but your body will thank you for it.

Sleep and eat well in run up ... forget about weight classes for your first couple of comps .. eat good food and plenty of it.

the morning of the comp have a good breakfast but nothing that will upset the stomach with the nerves that you will feel.

Drink plenty of water.

Have your gear ready and make sure you have everything you might need on the day. You don't want to have to run to a shop or calling people to get stuff for you.

Prepare food for the day .. it is a long day and you will need plenty of food .. carbs, sugars etc.

Picking your weights

Your first attempt at any of the lifts should be a weight that you will hit even with the worst hangover and broken leg ... especially your squat. This is what gets you in the game, settles the nerves and ensures that you don't bomb out.

Ideally your numbers would be something in the range of 1st attempt is 85-90% of your one rep max, 2nd lift would be 95-100% of your 1 rep max and the 3rd attempt is a PB. However; for a first comp i'd be looking at 80-85% of your 1 rep max for your opener.

Remember; lifting in the gym is totally different to lifting on the platform .. equipment is different, pressure is different, you have referees and only one shot at getting it right.

Your target should be to hit a PB on your lifts - but actually getting up there and doing can be reward enough for first timers.

on the day

Get to the venue in plenty of time for your weigh in .. the weigh in times should be posted in advance along with estimated flight times (I say estimated as a lot can change during the day depending on how the comp is running)

If your flight is starting at 11am .. be in the warm up room about 45 mins before and do your warm up. This is where you have to become selfish (not rude) ... have your warm up planned and stick to it.

Make sure you know the running order and who is lifting before you .. keep an eye on the flights as they might change and if possible have someone with you as a handler who will do all this for you.

For me I have a very simple and structured warm up.

I will foam roll, resistance band work, hips, glutes etc .. then I will hit 5 warm up squats. So based on a 230kg opener I would do:

Bar only - 5-10 squats.
    70kg - 2 reps
    120kg - 2 reps
    170kg - 1 rep
    210kg - 1 rep

depending on how the 210 (last warm-up) felt .. fast - slow - light - heavy; I would change my opener up or down or just stick to the plan.

After your last opener go behind the platform and wait your turn.

After your lift you generally have 1 minute to give your next attempt to the top table .. if you fail your lift you still have to give your next attempt .. even if it is the same weight.

You can not attempt a weight lighter than your previous attempt.

You can change your openers up to 5 minute before the flight starts (but check with the organisers to make sure this is the case)

Don't leave the venue .. I have seen it a couple of times where people leave the venue and don't know that the comp is running a head of schedule and arrive back to start a warmup to realise that they will be called to the platform within minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Anyone getting excited for Cork? I'm lifting Saturday in the 83kg category. Plan on opening with my previous 3rd attempts in January.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'm opening on just under my 3rds from last sept. No idea about opener for squat esp as i have a belt now

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Anyone getting excited for Cork? I'm lifting Saturday in the 83kg category. Plan on opening with my previous 3rd attempts in January.

Even on deadlifts?

Jaysis. Someone took off on the bullet gain train! :)

Even on deadlifts?

Jaysis. Someone took off on the bullet gain train! :)

Especially on deadlifts! Have to redeem myself for that one.

Thinking of pulling it tomorrow to see how it feels. I'll be damn close to it program wise anyway so might just push a bit more and count it as my opener test. It's going to be an interesting one as it's been a long time since I've even gone to 90% based off that number.

Fair play, man!

I'm not sure how I'm going to go about it...especially with the squat. I could be very conservative on openers, reasonably so on 2nd to keep me fresh for the big one.

On the other hand, I could just go with equalling 3rd lift from last day on opener.

Bench and deadlift I have an idea of where I'll go on first two. Won't be any PR on DL til 3rd lift, if I'm to get a PR.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Bench and deadlift I have an idea of where I'll go on first two. Won't be any PR on DL til 3rd lift, if I'm to get a PR.

What kind of numbers are you looking at compared to gym PRs? Can imagine an all time PR on a platform would be an outstanding lift considering you need energy for all three disciplines on the day.

VW 1 wrote: »
    What kind of numbers are you looking at compared to gym PRs? Can imagine an all time PR on a platform would be an outstanding lift considering you need energy for all three disciplines on the day.

I equalled all 3 gym PRs at the last comp. I expected to be under them going into last comp because I imagined the different conditions etc would change the game more.

The warm ups will dictate on the day but I'm confident of at least 2 PRs. I haven't tested max since last comp so I've no gym PRs as a reference on the day. But training numbers going well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Have you modified your training approach since starting to compete? Giving a lot of thought to going back to Hanley's gym with the powerlifting side of things being the main motivator but will likely be the end of the summer by the time I can make a switch.

VW 1 wrote: »
    Have you modified your training approach since starting to compete? Giving a lot of thought to going back to Hanley's gym with the powerlifting side of things being the main motivator but will likely be the end of the summer by the time I can make a switch.

Much of it is similar since the last comp, in a sense, but the training cycle before the last comp and this were different than before.

More volume on the main lifts but by training more of each across the week. The accessory work is based on what I need to work on.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm not sure how I'm going to go about it...especially with the squat. I could be very conservative on openers, reasonably so on 2nd to keep me fresh for the big one.
    Wouldn't there be a bit of a benefit in targeting the "the big one" on lift 2? That way, you are fresher going for the PR, can have 2 cracks at it if you make a mistake and, if you have the 3rd to go for broke if the PR flys up.

Just a though from somebody who doesn't compete. I always lift better when I get to a PR attempt ASAP. I know there's a certain achievement in going 3 for 3 (or 9 for 9). But I'd also feel that if you aren't missing your 3rd lift occasionally, you are probably leaving a few KGs behind.

Actual seasoned lifter free feel to tell me I'm talking bollox

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Wouldn't there be a bit of a benefit in targeting the "the big one" on lift 2? That way, you are fresher going for the PR, can have 2 cracks at it if you make a mistake and, if you have the 3rd to go for broke if the PR flys up.

Just a though from somebody who doesn't compete. I always lift better when I get to a PR attempt ASAP. I know there's a certain achievement in going 3 for 3 (or 9 for 9). But I'd also feel that if you aren't missing your 3rd lift occasionally, you are probably leaving a few KGs behind.

Actual seasoned lifter free feel to tell me I'm talking bollox

I would be more on that side of thinking tbh.

Just trying to tease out the pros and cons of it and see if the other option stacked up. I can see some benefit in being fresher for a crack at something 'big' on 3rd.

But I'd also rather having a feel for something not to conservative on 2nd to gauge the 3rd.

My original plan was to take a small PR on 2nd to bank it and go for a 10kg comp PR on last. But that was without knowing how the last couple of weeks of training would go amd what I could potentially do.

Small plus big pr is where I'd be at too

I wouldn't call myself a seasoned lifter, but i have done about 8/9 comps so far and what advise I would give is to be conservative on the openers .. really conservative; remember this is the lift that gets you in to the game.

My last comp I really went down this road and ensured that all my three openers were simple, weight wasn't going to be the problem. It was the best nerve settler and then I aimed for 95-97% of my gym PR for the 2nd attempts with a view to hitting PBs on the 3rd attempts.

It didn't quite go to plan as I missed the 2nd lift on the squat and bench .. nothing to do with weight .. just set myself up wrong. In the end it was 3 competition PBs.

Remember, it is a long day and hitting 3 PBs with 9/9 is the exception rather than the rule. By the time of your last deadlift you will feel anything but fresh and will be pulling on adrenaline more than anything.

Someone mentioned earlier about doing a heavy deadlift today .. that is madness with a comp on saturday. One of the best dead lifters in the country told me that you only have a certain amount of heavy pulls in you each year. To do even 80% a couple of days out is not a good idea. Leave it alone and trust that you have done the prep.

As for the warm ups ... aside from physically warming you up; this is the time to guage how the body is on the day. Don't over do it. I have seen people almost do a full squat session while warming up for the first lift and leaving it all in the warm-up room. Over the course of the day you will have plenty of lifting to do so be prudent with the warm-up.

take a max of 5 lifts before your opener .. last three being singles and last one about 90% of your opener. If the last one is a grinder, feels heavy or in anyway not easy ... take the time to make a decision about your opener ... should you drop it a bit ?

That's kinda where I am. Make sure you get a number on the board.

whippet wrote: »
    Someone mentioned earlier about doing a heavy deadlift today .. that is madness with a comp on saturday. One of the best dead lifters in the country told me that you only have a certain amount of heavy pulls in you each year. To do even 80% a couple of days out is not a good idea. Leave it alone and trust that you have done the prep.

Think you might be talking about me here. I was saying about testing my deadlift today anyway but competition isn't till the 27th. I'll be doing nothing heavy the week before it alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Remember, it is a long day and hitting 3 PBs with 9/9 is the exception rather than the rule. By the time of your last deadlift you will feel anything but fresh and will be pulling on adrenaline more than anything.

Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting PR from go.

It was a somewhat conservative opener, to get on the board.
    Then PR (or current estimated max) attempt,
    Then 3rd lift, what ever it might be.

Obviously, goes without saying the above is dependent on feedback from the opener. And, if you are shooting for first place rather than PRs. You'd play the game a bit more.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Think you might be talking about me here. I was saying about testing my deadlift today anyway but competition isn't till the 27th. I'll be doing nothing heavy the week before it alright.

sorry .. I misread that !!

I wouldn't go testing a max effort this close either ... the most you should attempt is an opener this week and leave it at that until the comp

sorry .. I misread that !!

I wouldn't go testing a max effort this close either ... the most you should attempt is an opener this week and leave it at that until the comp

Blacktie is talking about his proposed opener to be fair. What the programme has for him is close to what was his 3rd lift the last time but is an expected opener this time.

Blacktie is talking about his proposed opener to be fair. What the programme has for him is close to what was his 3rd lift the last time but is an expected opener this time.

apologies .. mis read that totally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Hi, hope people don't mind if I jump in on this.

I'm thinking of signing up for the NIPF rookie competition in August but there is a chance a few from my gym will be looking to do the IDFPA comp at the end of September, and then maybe the Push pull in November.

Is there such a thing as signing up for two many competitions ?

I plan on using the one in August to test the waters and see what a comp day feels like, only looking to hit current PRs.

Then if that goes well, go hell for leather in September.

Advertisement