Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mature entry medicine 2018

• 17-10-2017 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi there, I’m creating a trend for those who are pursuing Mature entry into Medicine for academic year 2018/2019.

Perhaps those who have been through the system could provide insight to those who are applying.

Those who are applying can ask, or answer questions and share their background

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭vladcount

Basscon22 wrote: »
    Hi there, I’m creating a trend for those who are pursuing Mature entry into Medicine for academic year 2018/2019.

Perhaps those who have been through the system could provide insight to those who are applying.

Those who are applying can ask, or answer questions and share their background

Reminder !!!!! RCSI must apply for their social evening this November to get a head with prep for interviews.
    I got waitlisted last year 4 places given and I was no.5 :/ fingers crossed for this yr !

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Guidance

Hi all,

I have set up a FB group for medical applicants based in Ireland - just type in 'Ireland Medicine Applicants' and feel free to join. Hopefully it can be useful for some!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Guidance

Hi all,

I have set up a FB group for medical applicants based in Ireland - just type in 'Ireland Medicine Applicants' and feel free to join. Hopefully it can be useful for some!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Thorn Bird

Hi folks,

I hope everyone is enjoying the beautiful weather we are having at the moment :-)

I'm hoping that some kind person might be able to advise/guide me in relation to some of the questions I have in relation to mature / graduate entry into medicine please.

Here is a little bit of info on myself first of all.
    I am a mature student (late 30's) and I have come to a point in my life where I would like to change my career. I have a bachelors honours degree 2.2 and a post grad 2.1 grade in the field of education. I have been working in the area of education for the last 7 years, and although I thoroughly enjoy teaching, I would like to do something else. I have always had a great love and interest in medicine, and i suppose to be totally honest, I just never felt that I was academic enough to pursue a career in that field. Now however, I feel that perhaps the time is right for me to give it a shot and hope for the best.

So, my questions are:
    1) I have absolutely no background in science apart from having done science in my junior cert and continuing with honours Biology in my leaving cert - so, should I consider taking Chemistry and Biology in the leaving cert this year as a mature applicant, or what advise could anyone give me please?

2) I have no experience in working in a clinical environment, nor do I have any voluntry experience - so, should I seek places that might give me a few hours (while I'm still holding down a full time teaching postition in a very busy, large and academic school) ??

Any advise would be ever so welcome and certainly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 A95x

Hello. Anyone here applying this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Conway122

A95x wrote: »
    Hello. Anyone here applying this year?

Hi A95x,

Yeah, I’m applying for Medicine this year via mature entry route. How did you find the application process?

Conway122 wrote: »
    Hi A95x,

Yeah, I’m applying for Medicine this year via mature entry route. How did you find the application process?
    I am too we have to the 1st of March to get all documents into the cao.
    Just a reminder to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Conway122

How is everyone feeling about the HPAT?

Has anyone sat the exam previously?

Conway122 wrote: »
    How is everyone feeling about the HPAT?

Has anyone sat the exam previously?

I sat it back in 2013! Long time ago. I didn’t find it awful yesterday - glad it is over. Do you know when we get our results?

vladcount wrote: »
    I am too we have to the 1st of March to get all documents into the cao.
    Just a reminder to all.

What documents do we need to send to CAO? I have sent my university transcripts - do we need to send references to them? Or is this when the college requests themselves?

• Advertisement

What documents do we need to send to CAO? I have sent my university transcripts - do we need to send references to them? Or is this when the college requests themselves?

I send everything to cao and then send everything to the colleges when they ask.
    Rcsi sent out their emails today about uploading documents and cao also uploaded the things we sent in.

I send everything to cao and then send everything to the colleges when they ask.
    Rcsi sent out their emails today about uploading documents and cao also uploaded the things we sent in.

Great. How did your hpat go? When should
    We hear from trinity? I also got the email from rcsi

Great. How did your hpat go? When should
    We hear from trinity? I also got the email from rcsi
    I didn't reach the tcd website for admission quick enough sadly. I DID GREAT I'm really happy with my score 're the hpat

I didn't reach the tcd website for admission quick enough sadly. I DID GREAT I'm really happy with my score 're the hpat

That’s great. Where else have you applied too?

That’s great. Where else have you applied too?

Rcsi, galway, cork, ucd just not tcd

Rcsi, galway, cork, ucd just not tcd

Any tips for the RCSI personal statement? They said only two pages double spaced at the open evening - I am struggling to keep it below 3 pages 😞

Any tips for the RCSI personal statement? They said only two pages double spaced at the open evening - I am struggling to keep it below 3 pages 😞

I didn't make open evening this year. I didn't do mine double spaced oh well. Mine single spaced was 2 pages perfect length. I added in my personal reasons. Your selling yours3lf but not telling them you are this but rather a showing of who you are rather than telling them what you are. If that makes any sense so remove the words I am as much as you can .

I didn't make open evening this year. I didn't do mine double spaced oh well. Mine single spaced was 2 pages perfect length. I added in my personal reasons. Your selling yours3lf but not telling them you are this but rather a showing of who you are rather than telling them what you are. If that makes any sense so remove the words I am as much as you can .

Getting nervous now - do they normally offer interviews this week? Or will it be next Wednesday as they said?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 M1994

Hi all,

Did anyone have interviews this week re mature student medicine? If so how did you find them?

M1994 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Did anyone have interviews this week re mature student medicine? If so how did you find them?

I'd say we would all say we did well but the proof is in the pudding and for rcsi many will find out next week. Only 25 made it to interview this yr. So better odds compared to 40.

But again it's not easy So fingers crossed everyone !

• Advertisement

I'd say we would all say we did well but the proof is in the pudding and for rcsi many will find out next week. Only 25 made it to interview this yr. So better odds compared to 40.

But again it's not easy So fingers crossed everyone !

The wait is unbearable

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Murph43

Rcsi emails are out! Congrats to all

• Registered Users Posts: 46 autoboi

Anyone hear anything from TCD mature route?

Murph43 wrote: »
    Rcsi emails are out! Congrats to all

Congrats I got in too! 3 yrs a waiting paid off !

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Murph43

Congrats I got in too! 3 yrs a waiting paid off !

That’s fantastic well done! Are you in the 5/6 year programme?

Murph43 wrote: »
    That’s fantastic well done! Are you in the 5/6 year programme?

6 yr programme ! I'm delighted !

Anyone here in 5 year?

Anyone here in 5 year?
    Lucky gun ! at least you can tell me all the info so im ready lol

Anyone had any sucess for funding. I work 2 jobs 1 as a Research Assistant and another as a HCA my local credit union are bejng blockerish. Any one got an aib loan to cover first yr until boi loan is available in second yr? How was it?

• Advertisement

Aib are giving loans for first years if that helps! Anyone starting rcsi 6 yr programme this september ! Wanna know at least one person lol

Advertisement