Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Assault Air Bike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 the sword

The torture bike, best for HIIT workouts as 20seonds at full tilt is a killer. I would prefer this and have looked into purchasing one myself, any suggestions on where this could be purchased?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭Thud

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

they are an absolute killer, HIIT on these makes me nearly puke after about 5 mins!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I have a Rogue Echo bike as mentioned in the thread above.

Highly recommend it.

Found it such tough going when I first got it I could barely do a couple of minutes. Slowly built up time on it though and made a big difference to cardio levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

What kind of workouts are folks employing on these

So far I've been doing quick 10 seconds on, 20 seconds off for 8 rounds and finding that fairly tough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

I am doing the bike as the 3rd part of a set which includes leg and upper body weights.

I usually target 10 calories and try to complete that as fast as possible which can range from 25-40 seconds depending on how wrecked i am :D

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

I usually do 30 seconds on and then rest for 30 seconds, can usually only get about 5 rounds of that in before i have to up the rest time to 45 seconds, generally do 10 rounds.

Reps4jesus wrote: »
    I usually do 30 seconds on and then rest for 30 seconds, can usually only get about 5 rounds of that in before i have to up the rest time to 45 seconds, generally do 10 rounds.
    Username checks out :eek:

10 rounds of that would half me :D I might try 20/40 for 8 rounds next time then 30/30 and see how I get on

My usual on the bike would be 30 on 30 off for 30 rounds.

Generally the first 15 seconds are a good hard pace but it rapidly slows. It would be the next 15 seconds where I would get the real benefit. As the lactic acid is running through the legs and the lungs are burning its hard to push out the last 15 seconds, but great feeling once it happens.

Would love to pick up one of these but couldn’t justify the price. If anyone knows once going cheap, let me know

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 Smithyy1

I have Rogue Echo Bike.

• Advertisement

Able to do 10 on, 20 off for 8 rounds still at the moment, going to work up to doing 20 on 40 off for 5 rounds, then 8 as I'm completely fúcked after doing 2/3 rounds of 20 seconds on full tilt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

I use the echo bike lots and actually use it more for steady state work than intervals

I think most people overuse HIIT type training and the bike gets lumped into a tool exclusively used for puke work only.

A few workouts we program that can be done on the bike -

+++

20mins performed on bike, run or row
    Min 1 – 2secs fast pace, the rest of the min at comfortable pace
    Min 2 – 4secs at fast pace, rest of min at comfortable pace
    Min 3 – 6secs fast pace, rest of min at comfortable pace.
    Etc to Min 15-Min 20 – 30secs at fast pace, 30secs at comfortable pace.
    So the lass 5mins are all performed as 30secs on 30secs off.

+++++++
    15-20mins max cals - focus on pacing and lasting the distance so dont go too hard too early
    Perform as 45secs at fast pace (NOT fastest) , 1.15mins at moderate pace.
    Record total calories

++++

2 rounds with 2-3min rest between efforts
    90secs at easy pace
    30secs rest,
    75secs at moderate pace
    30secs Rest
    60secs at fast pace
    30secs rest
    45secs at faster pace
    30secs rest
    30secs at faster pace +10%
    30secs rest
    15secs at all out, pour it on the coals pace!!
    +++++

7 x 200m run/row or 25 cals on assault bike
    Rest 75secs between each set.
    Pace should be at moderate and building to fast pace

• Registered Users Posts: 36,087 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I see it all the time when the bike is programmed as part of a metcon, even a long varied one where it is but a single component. People love to get on there and SPRINT.

I do 300 cals for time on the Assault Bike as a longer endurance piece every couple of months. If that sounds too boring, try 30 mins on it breaking every 3 mins to do some push ups and Kettlebell swings. We don’t do sprint intervals every time we run, so the rower or bike should be no different!

Edit: some nice work block suggestions there Dom, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Learn to skip, buy a rope for 10 to 20 euro and do your hiit training.

No need to spend that type of money, i do hiit intervals skipping right up to competiton, all through my pre show deficit. Melts the fat away with the right diet

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I do 300 cals for time on the Assault Bike as a longer endurance piece every couple of months. If that sounds too boring, try 30 mins on it breaking every 3 mins to do some push ups and Kettlebell swings. We don’t do sprint intervals every time we run, so the rower or bike should be no different!

Edit: some nice work block suggestions there Dom, cheers

I like the comparison to sprinting every time you run - oddly, coming from a GAA background - that's precisely my case but endurance is my downfall so perhaps the idea of doing 30 minutes is what I need, leave out the intervals though? i.e. just get through 20-30 minutes at a moderate pace, where possible.
    italodisco wrote: »

No need to spend that type of money, i do hiit intervals skipping right up to competiton, all through my pre show deficit. Melts the fat away with the right diet

I've been considering getting a heavy rope for use as I use the speed rope for warm-ups, 100 reps then some isometric stretches as part of a warm up 'circuit' From an endurance perspective, would it be best to get a heavy rope and learn to go for duration rather than getting a speed rope and doing intervals.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

mdwexford wrote: »
    I have a Rogue Echo bike as mentioned in the thread above.

Highly recommend it.

Found it such tough going when I first got it I could barely do a couple of minutes. Slowly built up time on it though and made a big difference to cardio levels.

Do you mind me asking where you bought it..?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

D'Agger wrote: »
    I've been considering getting a heavy rope for use as I use the speed rope for warm-ups, 100 reps then some isometric stretches as part of a warm up 'circuit' From an endurance perspective, would it be best to get a heavy rope and learn to go for duration rather than getting a speed rope and doing intervals.

I found that the more skipping with a heavy rope I did, the less impact it had because my technique was better. Maybe it was just a case of feeling less tired meaning and thinking you'd exerted less energy...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Are these just something that has become more "trendy" in fitness? My mam has something like an air bike she got from Argos about 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Transform wrote: »
    I use the echo bike lots and actually use it more for steady state work than intervals

I do the same myself.

Anything from 5k to 15k depending on how long I want to be.

Do you aim to keep up a certain pace or watts or anything?

I’ve tried to look online to find out what’s an ok pace over longer distances but haven’t come across much.
    stratowide wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking where you bought it..?

Direct from Rogue, €978.
    Expensive but it’s class, free shipping helps.

italodisco wrote: »

"melts the fat away" - so does walking and moderate weight training with any and all nutrition approaches that have you in a calorie deficit

• Advertisement

mdwexford wrote: »
    I do the same myself.

Anything from 5k to 15k depending on how long I want to be.

Do you aim to keep up a certain pace or watts or anything?

I’ve tried to look online to find out what’s an ok pace over longer distances but haven’t come across much.

Direct from Rogue, €978.
    Expensive but it’s class, free shipping helps.
    yes for longer pieces 200-250watts

Moderate for me is 300-350watts

Faster - well it can go 1000+watts

• Registered Users Posts: 39,002 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

yes for longer pieces 200-250watts

Moderate for me is 300-350watts

Faster - well it can go 1000+watts

How do you find the watts compare on the Echo/Assault bike compared to the Concept2?

Does 300 watt pace feel the same on each in terms of RPE?
    Or do the different monitors and formulas used make them completely separate scales.

For example, 1000 watts on a concept 2 is a blistering pace, that I imagine only elite HW rowers can hit for very short burst.

Genuine question,

If anyone has purchased one of these where did they get it from and what prices are you looking at for paying for it?

I'm close to buying one, but I know the price can be quite hefty and have noticed as much as £100 in difference (apologies based up north so deal in the queens head) but never heard of the companies that are selling at reduced prices so not sure if they are reliable or not?

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭NFH

Bought one from D8 Fitness last week, €780, arrived in two days, easy ~1 hour assembly, very sold piece of equipment, no issues with it at all really.

Nearly puked after first session on it...so very happy! Genuinely surprised how fast it gets the old heart rate going.

https://www.d8fitness.com/product/assault-air-bike/

NFH wrote: »
    Bought one from D8 Fitness last week, €780, arrived in two days, easy ~1 hour assembly, very sold piece of equipment, no issues with it at all really.

Nearly puked after first session on it...so very happy! Genuinely surprised how fast it gets the old heart rate going.

https://www.d8fitness.com/product/assault-air-bike/
    puking and progress dont go together you know

good you like the bike but you wont get on it consistently if you associate only hard workouts with it

Mellor wrote: »
    How do you find the watts compare on the Echo/Assault bike compared to the Concept2?

Does 300 watt pace feel the same on each in terms of RPE?
    Or do the different monitors and formulas used make them completely separate scales.

For example, 1000 watts on a concept 2 is a blistering pace, that I imagine only elite HW rowers can hit for very short burst.
    ill check the rpe next time and let you know

puking and progress dont go together you know

good you like the bike but you wont get on it consistently if you associate only hard workouts with it

Agreed, although so far I think the trade off for the high intensity is that its over relatively quickly (15-20 min) so it doesn't seem so bad. Enjoying it so far but will defo be giving your workout suggestions a go

NFH wrote: »
    Agreed, although so far I think the trade off for the high intensity is that its over relatively quickly (15-20 min) so it doesn't seem so bad. Enjoying it so far but will defo be giving your workout suggestions a go
    Sweating isnt progress, progress is progress

Sweating isnt progress, progress is progress

Amen! But I'm in an apartment block and the bike is loud as fook so has to be quick hard puke work as I don't want to annoy the neighbors too much. Long walks/runs for the steady state stuff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement