Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Now ye're talking - to a Nurse

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

You said staffing was an issue and yet when I was in a clinic in James's last week there were 2 nurses handing out charts to doctors, weighing people and sending them for an ECG.
    This is clerical officer work.
    Multiply this across all the clinics a hospital has...

What's the rationale in this ? It's bonkers.

It is absolutely NOT clerical officer work. Clerical staff make the appointments, get those charts, date those charts, find the missing ones, have them ready for clinic, make sure the details are correct and bring them into the clinic. It is NOT their job to read medical notes in charts and decide based on their absolutely zero medical knowledge that this patient requires an ECG or this patient requires a hearing test or these bloods that were requested at the last visit are not in the chart. It is NOT their job to write in results/observations or weigh patients. It is also not their job to decide which doctor sees a patient because the nurses do that too, recognise from a patient's notes that they need to see the consultant not the registrar.

Why would you want someone with no medical training whatsoever deciding who needs tests? Or weighing a patient - what if that patient falls? Outpatient clinics are bursting at the seams with the numbers and could do without clerical inappropriately taking on roles which would absolutely affect patient safety. Many hospitals - but not all - are badly understaffed with patient facing clerical staff. For an admin role it can be very stressful, dangerous in terms of the responsibility and you are the face of the 3-4 year waiting list, the 12 hour expected wait time in A&E, the cancelled operation due to bed shortage, the rescheduled for the 2nd time appointment. NOT the only face but it's still a role that attracts a lot of abuse and upset. There is enough to be doing without interfering in clinical decisions.

Anyway, I dont have a question but I've loved reading this nurse's answers. I fully support the strike and although I work in an adult hospital now I worked in a children's one before..it takes a special kind of person to be a children's nurse they are just amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

These are standard tests for ALL patients visiting the clinic I attended. No medical knowledge is needed. Just the ability to write a docket and record a number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

I agree that nurses are underpaid. Is understaffing a big problem? My understanding is that that is the primary driver of a lot of problems. Will a pay rise for those that are staffed make this worse?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Have you ever pulled in coppers?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

AMA thanks for doing this. Understand it well with nurses in the family.
    Those looking at the wage issue should read the following in full:

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/0209/1028490-nurses-pay/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

AudiAvant wrote: »
    I imagine both
    You need money to have a life on too
    It's becoming impossible to live in Dublin and most places in Ireland
    It's only the parents of Ireland that are stopping the homeless figures spiraling

1. A 10% increase in pay isn't going to make nurses have so much more disposable income that renting in Dublin isn't an absolute pain, just like the rest of us.

2. If wages were increased so that it wasn't a pain and people still had loads of money after rent, then house prices and rent would just go up.

I will speak for myself and the colleagues on my current ward to answer this. We work a 5 day week with no premiums or overtime and I can honestly say that we are all broke. Most of us are in debt of some sort such as an overdraft or credit card. Most of us are renting despite almost all of us being in late 20s, early 30s and older. 2 of the girls appear to have a great social life but they both live at home so perhaps that helps. Most of us now live outside of Dublin also.

I graduated a few years ago and I moved to Dublin earning 23k. I rented and rent was insanely high then too. I saved 6k in one year while running a car, going out, buying clothes etc.

This is not a pay problem, that's a you problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I think a few things discredit the pay demand.

Is a pay rise or pay restoration, they are different things and casually switching between both shows vagueness.

The pay quoted never includes allowances for unsocial shifts, it’s part of the job and pay, shownthe real figures.

Nurses coming out of training now have no complaints, is pay not the same if even better then when they started to train? If they weren’t happy they shouldn’t have chosen it as a career.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

These are standard tests for ALL patients visiting the clinic I attended. No medical knowledge is needed. Just the ability to write a docket and record a number.

You multiplied it across all clinics of a hospital and applied it across the board as some sort of huge waste of resources. Sending someone for an ECG is fine...but if it's not done for all patients and only some then someone medical still needs to make that call. This was the case when I worked cardiac clinics..some consultants wanted everyone sent. Others only wanted some. But in that case you would have clerical staff reading charts and making a call on who should go and that's not appropriate at all, thatd the point. Just like it wouldn't be right for clerical to decide who needs blood tests or who needs a scan in A&E.

The HSE does waste resources and it is top heavy but nurses run clinics for a reason and often far too few of them in huge complex clinics so this isn't a waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Varta

_Brian wrote: »

Is a pay rise or pay restoration, they are different things and casually switching between both shows vagueness.

The pay quoted never includes allowances for unsocial shifts, it’s part of the job and pay, shownthe real figures.

Nurses coming out of training now have no complaints, is pay not the same if even better then when they started to train? If they weren’t happy they shouldn’t have chosen it as a career.

I think that people need to realise that this is a legacy issue. Back the years when teachers and other PS were regularly striking for better pay, nurses were under the cosh of nuns in the hospitals. They were expected to work and behave like novices and under no circumstances would they be permitted to complain about pay and conditions. As a result they were left behind in relation to other areas of the PS. Personally, I believe they should be raised to the same basic pay rate as teachers.

• Advertisement

Why are you talking about shift work and taxes as if everyone else doesn't conform to the same tax regime?

Reminds me of the guy on another site that said he turned down a 4k bonus because it put him in the higher tax bracket.

There is no such thing as pay restoration. 2008 isn't some "true worth" that people should be earning. 2008 pay levels are what got us into a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Varta wrote: »
    I think that people need to realise that this is a legacy issue. Back the years when teachers and other PS were regularly striking for better pay, nurses were under the cosh of nuns in the hospitals. They were expected to work and behave like novices and under no circumstances would they be permitted to complain about pay and conditions. As a result they were left behind in relation to other areas of the PS. Personally, I believe they should be raised to the same basic pay rate as teachers.

Including allowances yes, plus allowances no.

Including allowances yes, plus allowances no.

Why including allowances? You do know that teachers get allowances? I'm self-employed, if I have to work over the weekend I charge my client more. None of my clients have ever had a problem with that. If I have to get a plumber out to my house at the weekend or during the night I expect to be charged more than I would be charged for normal hours. Just about every worker who isn't being abused through minimum pay and zero hour contracts gets extra for working unsociable hours and any worker would expect to get extra when they upskill. Why do feel that nurses should be treated differently to everyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Is it true that nurses wont insert take blood pressure readings or insert IV lines into drug addicts.

Do they just refuse and call on Junior Doctors who are already run off their feet to do this work.

tretorn wrote: »
    Is it true that nurses wont insert take blood pressure readings or insert IV lines into drug addicts.

Do they just refuse and call on Junior Doctors who are already run off their feet to do this work.

You already know that isn't true. Stop wasting the nurse's time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I feel the untold story of the current nurses strike is agency nurses.

How does it feel as a hse nurse to work along side an agency nurse that is paid more money than you.

Do you feel you could kill off the agency nurse trade with a pay rise requested by the unions at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

tretorn wrote: »

Utter tripe .... they may try to get it in 2or 3 times and if they can’t , then they will call someone else to try .. but that’s just common practice. Please stop wasting everyone’s time with foolish anti nurse questions

• Company Representative Posts: 71 Verified rep I'm a Nurse - AMA

Good evening everyone.

I just wanted to come on to say thank you so much to every single person that made today's march so incredible. The turn out was absolutely incredible.

To the members of the public who joined us, the families and friends of nurses and midwives and whoever else came out to support us I just want to say Thank you.

Would you be able to expand a bit more on this please?

I will indeed. I will name 2 of the main things that come to mind right now :) Nurses do things here such as taking bloods and inserting intravenous cannulas. In other countries they have other staff to do this specific role which is great. Nurses here take ECGs and some nurses (myself included) are trained to Interpret those ECGs. In other Countries doctors do this or there are ECG Technicians who work around the clock and doctors then do the interpretation. Don't get me wrong, it is incredible that nurses here are so skilled and autonomous, it's just that it is difficult when trying to do those tasks as well as care for too many patient's and do all the paperwork.
    gOst wrote: »
    In the past I was indifferent to the plight of nurses.
    I would have shared many of the ignorant hot takes I've read on boards up until my sister actually became a nurse.

I really don't think people realise the emotional and physical demands of the job.
    She has had people cough blood into her face, among other bodily fluids thrown at her.
    She's injured herself from trying to stop disoriented patients pull IVs from themselves or not having enough assistance/hoists to move obese patients.

The emotional stuff is the real kicker.
    She once had an 80 odd year old women with terminal cancer ask her to hold her hand as she had no family and was scared of dying.
    She sat there for an hour with her after working a 12 hour shift.
    Of course she didn't have to do that but the request alone would have f&*ked with my head for weeks.

You probably do become desensitized to it to some extent but the continuous emotional stress must be exhausting. Then add in the night shifts to mess with your body clock. She's told me numerous times she's ping ponged on her bus route home because she's fallen asleep.

You simply can't compare working conditions to that on a ward.

Sorry for the rant :o. Now for the question.

Increased salary aside, do you think the HSE could offer something else which would make any improvement to a nurses working conditions?
    Shorter shifts? Longer hand over periods to help catch up on paperwork within your actual shift hours?

Hi :)

Well done to your sister. It is difficult but I am glad she shares stuff with you which does help. You are right though, people don't realise what a nurse does until they have a family member, friend or partner who is a nurse.

I do think there are things like getting rid of the extra day we work as per the current pay agreement. I think hospitals should offer different shifts such as 4 and 8 hour shifts once there is enough staff to cover although 12 and 13 hour shifts do allow for continuity of care which is so important, however there are certain areas where shorter shifts would work in my opinion. I think if there were enough staff paperwork would get done in time and you wouldn't need longer hand over periods. Basically we just need more staff, more support, waiting lists to be sorted, more beds and a more efficient system in general. I think more GPs and primary health centers would also help.... oh god.... now you have opened the flood gates!! :pac::D There's more.... though.... I think maybe if we would do a 7 day system instead of 5 things would also be easier! Right..... I'll stop now! :pac:

• Advertisement

jlm29 wrote: »
    Considering that ANPs earn up to €70k, DONs can earn in excess of €80k, and other managerial roles in nursing are also quite well paid, do you think that a blanket 12%pay rise across all grades would be fair?

To be honest I think ANPs are incredible. They are basically doing the exact same job as doctors. ANPs in Emergency Departments in particular do everything that most doctors do. They order and interpret xrays, they prescribe medications, they suture, carry out minor surgeries and manage to massively decrease waiting times in Emergency Departments and minor injury clinics. They are worth their weight in gold. DONs have an immense amount of pressure on their shoulders and with all hospitals getting busier by the year they are being faced with more and more work to do.

I do think things are more stressful for everyone, however, I do think I would be happy if there was pay parity for staff nurses first of all.... I do think that those that get to grades of ANP, CNM, ADON and DON have an incredible amount of experience and education behind them so I think they currently deserve what they get.
    shellycub wrote: »
    You're account of your experience on the picket line really moved me. I am glad you are having good experiences and can feel supported by colleagues and public. I don't have a question just wanted to offer my support also. Being a nurse is a vocation, not everyone is cut out for it and you should feel appreciated for the great work ye do x

#93 have a read.

Thank you shellycub and Plumbthedepths :)

Duffryman wrote: »
    All I'll say here is that this nurse, whoever she (or he) is, deserves great credit for a whole series of reasoned and honest answers, including this one to my own query, which I for one have not actually heard answered anywhere during the entire time of this dispute.

Whatever you think of the nurses or their claim and actions, I say big fair play to this nurse for putting herself (or himself!) in the spotlight here and fielding all these questions.

For the record, I'd acknowledge without question that nursing is a tough job, that the vast majority of nurses are hugely appreciated by their patients and the patients' families, and that in an ideal world, they'd be paid more for what they do.

But I still wonder about some aspects of their action and the arguments being put forward on their behalf. And in particular, I'll go back to my question here, and wonder if anybody anywhere has ever actually proposed how or where money to fund a pay raise would be fund. To me, that's one of the biggest questions of all, but nobody arguing for that pay raise seems to be willing to address it.
    Duffryman wrote: »
    ...and just as I was writing that post, here's an example of the kind of honesty I'm talking about.

If any non-nurse said this in normal conversation, they'd be shot down immediately by most people. But at least this nurse acknowledges that they're not all absolute angels.

Again, whoever you are, I greatly admire your honesty.

Duffryman,

Again I am sorry that I can't answer your question :o I will say one thing though, I think if we could cut down on agency paid staff due to more staffing that would go a long long way..... And I mean cutting the bill for both doctors and nurses. Agency staff are so necessary due to short staffing but nurses may be inclined to come back into the public service if things were better.

Just wanted to say thank you as well. I believe honesty is the best policy and it's the way I will always be :) Thank you again

ted1 wrote: »
    That’s common with all employment in those countries it’s not just nurses.

With 49 days of BREXIT an event that could see serious financial difficulties to Ireland why do nurses think it’s a good time to look for a pay increase especially considering they have signed up to a pay restoration deal.

Do you nurses honestly think that all other public servants won’t look for an increase?

Our strike action at present is to try and improve the care we provide to the public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

ANPs in Emergency Departments in particular do everything that most doctors do. They order and interpret xrays, they prescribe medications, they suture, carry out minor surgeries and manage to massively decrease waiting times in Emergency Departments and minor injury clinics.

ANPs are great and very skilled but they certainly don't do everything that most doctors do in ED.

You said staffing was an issue and yet when I was in a clinic in James's last week there were 2 nurses handing out charts to doctors, weighing people and sending them for an ECG.
    This is clerical officer work.
    Multiply this across all the clinics a hospital has...

What's the rationale in this ? It's bonkers.
    It is absolutely NOT clerical officer work. Clerical staff make the appointments, get those charts, date those charts, find the missing ones, have them ready for clinic, make sure the details are correct and bring them into the clinic. It is NOT their job to read medical notes in charts and decide based on their absolutely zero medical knowledge that this patient requires an ECG or this patient requires a hearing test or these bloods that were requested at the last visit are not in the chart. It is NOT their job to write in results/observations or weigh patients. It is also not their job to decide which doctor sees a patient because the nurses do that too, recognise from a patient's notes that they need to see the consultant not the registrar.

Why would you want someone with no medical training whatsoever deciding who needs tests? Or weighing a patient - what if that patient falls? Outpatient clinics are bursting at the seams with the numbers and could do without clerical inappropriately taking on roles which would absolutely affect patient safety. Many hospitals - but not all - are badly understaffed with patient facing clerical staff. For an admin role it can be very stressful, dangerous in terms of the responsibility and you are the face of the 3-4 year waiting list, the 12 hour expected wait time in A&E, the cancelled operation due to bed shortage, the rescheduled for the 2nd time appointment. NOT the only face but it's still a role that attracts a lot of abuse and upset. There is enough to be doing without interfering in clinical decisions.

Anyway, I dont have a question but I've loved reading this nurse's answers. I fully support the strike and although I work in an adult hospital now I worked in a children's one before..it takes a special kind of person to be a children's nurse they are just amazing.

I decided to put these together for a reason....

So.... I feel that what you witnessed was probably a snapshot of their day. Those nurses may run other clinics at different times or on different days where they get to use nursing skills. I do think that directing patient's to clinics can be done by someone who is non medical.... however, as I say I fear you just got a snapshot of what their job actually entails. You also should remember that people attending outpatients departments are unwell and some people require nursing care when attending outpatients which means nurses must be present.

Also, I think people fail to see what clerical or admin staff in a hospital have to do also. They have enough to be doing without adding to their workload also.

Corruptedmorals, thank you. You explain things better than I ever could with your post and thank you for your support and kind words. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,821 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I just want to say that I totally support you. The problem is this ridiculous idea that all public service workers are entitled to the same pay rises.

Calhoun wrote: »
    First thank you for your honest answer, the reason i suspect i like many others are asking is because i know as part of your education a large investment was made into the system to get nurses to the education level they currently are at. With the media doing prominent highlights of nurses abroad with their placards about not coming home the question has to be asked why are we funding people throwing it back in our faces.

Then on the other hand you have a nurse who rang into Joe Duffy (2 days ago i think), she was in a Brussels hospital getting hip surgery done because she couldn't get it done on time here before it would become a permanent disability. How the **** do we have a system where a nurse of 30 years cannot get surgery so she can go back to the job she loves.

I do hope they can come up with a solution that works for the nurses and doesn't kick off a landslide of other pay increases.

That is shocking regarding that nurse. It is sad that ANYONE has to travel abroad due to waiting times here :mad: Hopefully she will be on the mend soon and back to work.

Regarding your first point, there is a massive investment in nurses here and believe me, it is so saddening when a nurse leaves for overseas for the better pay and lifestyle. I do think retention needs to be improved and hopefully this action will lead to proposals that will lead to nurses staying following their education.
    storker wrote: »
    I'm a non-nurse who would say this...but I obtained the information from my wife, who is a nurse. :)

:pac: Hon your misses :p
    AudiAvant wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply
    Appreciated
    I can only say fair play to you all standing up for yourselfs
    You deserve to be treated well and with the upmost respect

Thank you AudiAvant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,357 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Do you think there is a lot of misogyny in the reaction to the nurses strike, and that the idea of women being in well-paid employment or not being submissive and grateful seems to annoy a lot of people?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,987 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

1. Do you think there would be a strike at all if the matter of pay parity was not one of the aims of the strike?

2. Do you think the nurses would have received better 'press coverage' and more public support if the subject of pay parity was not included?

Finally thank you for answering all these questions, and I wish you well in your future work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

ANPs are great and very skilled but they certainly don't do everything that most doctors do in ED.

And as for the ones in other clinical areas. They seem to do nothing!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement