Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which Gardening Tools

Options
  • 04-06-2020 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

Hi. Here's a photo of a flower bed I have to rescue!
    Noobie here so need some advice.

c3c2Fjhl.jpg

What you see is almost all weeds and grass. To get rid of it, is it best/easiest to use a spade, shovel, fork, hoe etc...?

Also, what is the best tool for getting rid of old weeds between these paving stones?

ytlNXfCl.jpg

Something like this?
    (sorry for huge photo)

Remove-Weeds-Between-Pavers.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Scrape the weeds out of the pavers with that tool and then use some polymeric sand to brush in to the gaps and that will stop any future weeds growing in the gaps.
    Rompox is one brand name but I am sure there are plenty of others available as well depending on where you are.

For that garden I would use a fork and break it up as you go, removing weeds and grass and their roots by beating them over the fork to remove the soil.
    It will be slow enough work but should yield a decent area of ground.
    If you replant then I would go with a spreading plant that covers a lot of area which means less weeding because they get shaded out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Scrape the weeds out of the pavers with that tool and then use some polymeric sand to brush in to the gaps and that will stop any future weeds growing in the gaps.
    Rompox is one brand name but I am sure there are plenty of others available as well depending on where you are.

For that garden I would use a fork and break it up as you go, removing weeds and grass and their roots by beating them over the fork to remove the soil.
    It will be slow enough work but should yield a decent area of ground.
    If you replant then I would go with a spreading plant that covers a lot of area which means less weeding because they get shaded out.

That's not my tool by the way! Just an internet photo. But I'll grab one from a garden shop.
    Thanks for the info on the Rompox sand. I'm in Dublin so I should be able to get some.
    I'll grab a new fork also.
    Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,046 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Make sure you get a full size digging fork, garden tools have been well picked over by the locked down new gardeners!

Next in importance a decent rake, then a spade. If you are only going to be planting a few shrubs you can get away with a trowel into well forked soil, but a digging spade is essential eventually.

Those little gadgets are great for cleaning paving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

looksee wrote: »
    Make sure you get a full size digging fork, garden tools have been well picked over by the locked down new gardeners!

Next in importance a decent rake, then a spade. If you are only going to be planting a few shrubs you can get away with a trowel into well forked soil, but a digging spade is essential eventually.

Those little gadgets are great for cleaning paving.

I have an old shovel...will that do instead of a spade or is a spade better to have?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,046 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You will not make much progress with a shovel - shovels are for scooping with, moving material, not getting down into the soil. Get a fork at the absolute minimum.

• Advertisement
Advertisement