Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

3 day Bans on PS Network

Options
  • 03-06-2020 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Hi All, wondering if anyone has any insight to 3 day bans being given out,

Its my teenage sons account but I receive the email regards the ban
    and its vague and covers a multiple of infractions without giving the exact reason. Spoke with son he claims he's done nothing wrong (shock horror!)

Just want a handle as to how they decide on bans or what causes it so we
    as parents can better understand whats happening

Thanks

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

If you can log in it will probably tell you why ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Chances are he is trash talking, sending people messages after matches where he lost or something to that effect, someone must have reported something he said to them or sent to them...

You don't tend to get banned for doing nothing, I used to work in Xbox support many moons ago, I've heard it all at this stage... :)

You can log in on his account physically on the PlayStation Itself and have a look, or download the PlayStation messages app from below and you should see them if he hasn't deleted them already....

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.playstation.mobilemessenger

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Sounds like your son has been acting like a complete geebag. I'd be personally extending that ban in the house for a couple more weeks. You need to hammer home to him that it's not okay to be a prick to others, online or offline.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

As others stated, it is likely he is being abusive and offensive in online games. As also stated, you have to be a real tool to end up getting banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BobMc

Hence why we're actively trying to figure out whats gone on, we often hear swearing and he's pulled up on it and mad take a break, Our thoughts are that its live chat in games but does that require the other participant to report or do they listen
    in multi player games to the carry on and ban ?

I'll try log in and see if an explanation has been given for the ban and try messenger app also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

BobMc wrote: »
    Our thoughts are that its live chat in games but does that require the other participant to report or do they listen

Either, or. I know some games were meant to be using Natural Language Processing to detect abuse in games, but think this is more aligned with competitive gaming. Likely several people reported him.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭WengerOutIn

I reckon your son is a little too salty to be playing PVP. let him play minecraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Like people have said probably sending messages or something in his profile or his account name. Sony don't care what happens in games they themselves don't make, so it's usually just messages.

There is the chance that he didn't do anything in particular but just pissed someone off and they saw something in his profile that could be construed as offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

I kinda want to know what was said ( if anything) i have been online gaming for nearly 20 years and not once have i gotten close

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

There are right little twats (usually 12 year old Americans) who shout and scream, effing and blinding, and if you answer them back they'll report you and get you banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

whiterebel wrote: »
    There are right little twats (usually 12 year old Americans) who shout and scream, effing and blinding, and if you answer them back they'll report you and get you banned.

Not limited to Yanks I'm afraid, I beat some french kid on Street Fighter before and I've never got so many voice emails of sheer unadulterated hatred, the chap was googling me and everything to see who I was ... :D

Had to report and block, wasn't even on my friend list, just salty that I beat him so "cheaply"....

I probably did as I'm cr@p at these games but that's not my problem... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Hence why we're actively trying to figure out whats gone on, we often hear swearing and he's pulled up on it and mad take a break, Our thoughts are that its live chat in games but does that require the other participant to report or do they listen
    in multi player games to the carry on and ban ?

I'll try log in and see if an explanation has been given for the ban and try messenger app also

You won't see any specific explanation on the account. Highly likely to be related to a message sent, you would need to telephone support but even then I'm not sure how much info they can supply to you.

See here: https://www.playstation.com/en-za/get-help/help-library/my-account/grief-reporting/banned-and-suspended-consoles-and-accounts/

Note that if bans are permenant he would lose access to all his digital games purchased on that account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭coolisin

Im afraid he's not an innocent party here.
    You might get banned if you use the report function too much/incorrectly, but he would have being warned by sony about this.

I would imagine a couple messages! He was lucky it was a 3 day ban.
    Personally i would look for access to his messages on the console to have a read, if they are not already deleted.

Oh and remember to take the plug away from the console if you are banning for awhile, your wouldn't want him sneaking onto it using remote play or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BobMc

Now All update for you all - first I never implied we believed he was innocent, infact we knew full well it wasnt a ban given out willy nilly, Our intent as parents was to find out why the ban occured and prevent and curb any bad and unsavoury behaviour.

So we logged into messenger on my phone and it was an eye opener, so it seems its mostly related to FIFA20, some form of horse trading seems to be going on with regards letting certain players score against you in certain matches, I presume this give some form of a reward or upgrade in FIFA. So it goes along lines og eg. Will you let me score three goals with Salah !

bit of back and forth yeah if you let me score with XXXXX etc etc, some times it got heated and some bad language is retorted back and forth I wont repeat any of it, Some he instigated some other players, one player specifically said I'm reporting you as he refused his request to let him score and lose a match, all along arguments regards allowing scores or throwing games for exchange.

the language was choice in a lot of the messages from all sides not just my sons side and not repeatable, one involved a chap from the UK and they basically wanted to meet to have a scrap, you live in a caravan with your slow wifi (to our side) you're just a posh basterd (from our side) learn to spell if you're going to swear you pikey (to our side) this level of crap

We'll be having stern words and a ban ourselves this evening after work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭coolisin

Thanks for the update!
    No you came across like you knew he did wrong so fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

ah I wouldn't be too hard on him, grown ups lose the run of themselves online and say things they'd never say in the real world, it's not particularly nice but it's not the end of the world either

I really only participate in party chats now, i'd hate something I could say to go viral.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

gimli2112 wrote: »
    ah I wouldn't be too hard on him, grown ups lose the run of themselves online and say things they'd never say in the real world, it's not particularly nice but it's not the end of the world either

I really only participate in party chats now, i'd hate something I could say to go viral.

Yeah, but if you're a parent, you're meant to be guiding them and making them realise there's consequences to their actions. Just because we as adults lose the run of ourselves doesn't really mean it's right or that we should be encouraging it in our children. The internet is enough of a slurry pit as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭TrivialArguer

Now All update for you all - first I never implied we believed he was innocent, infact we knew full well it wasnt a ban given out willy nilly, Our intent as parents was to find out why the ban occured and prevent and curb any bad and unsavoury behaviour.

So we logged into messenger on my phone and it was an eye opener, so it seems its mostly related to FIFA20, some form of horse trading seems to be going on with regards letting certain players score against you in certain matches, I presume this give some form of a reward or upgrade in FIFA. So it goes along lines og eg. Will you let me score three goals with Salah !

bit of back and forth yeah if you let me score with XXXXX etc etc, some times it got heated and some bad language is retorted back and forth I wont repeat any of it, Some he instigated some other players, one player specifically said I'm reporting you as he refused his request to let him score and lose a match, all along arguments regards allowing scores or throwing games for exchange.

the language was choice in a lot of the messages from all sides not just my sons side and not repeatable, one involved a chap from the UK and they basically wanted to meet to have a scrap, you live in a caravan with your slow wifi (to our side) you're just a posh basterd (from our side) learn to spell if you're going to swear you pikey (to our side) this level of crap

We'll be having stern words and a ban ourselves this evening after work

If this carries on, or happens again in the future he will lose his account and any digital purchases he made....worth reminding him.

Playstation dont mess around when it comes to bans!

Advertisement