Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Weed killer to kill grass and weeds ?

• 01-06-2020 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

Hi all, just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction.

I have a big garden and rather than using the lawen mower I want to just spray certain areas that are awkward with some sort of weed killer that will just kill everything, weeds and grass etc...

I had an empty 5L sprayer..... Will this do the job or is there better out there ? https://www.woodies.ie/roundup-500ml-bioactive-xla-1123204?nosto=nosto-page-category2

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

boiling water will do the trick if it's just small isolated areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

boiling water will do the trick if it's just small isolated areas.

Thanks for the reply but the area is fairly big. I'd say in total .5 acre. The straight lawns are no problem with the mower but there is a lot of bumpy and perimiter areas that I just want to bring down to the ground with nothing left.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Yes, Roundup will do it. Three Bioactive thing is just surfactant to help it wet the leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Lumen wrote: »
    Yes, Roundup will do it. Three Bioactive thing is just surfactant to help it wet the leaves.

Is Roundup linked to cancer?

Is it safe to use if you have pets?

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    Is Roundup linked to cancer?

Is it safe to use if you have pets?

Do you mean "does it cause cancer?". It's in the IARC 2A classification.
    Group 2A: "The agent (mixture) is probably carcinogenic to humans . The exposure circumstance entails exposures that are probably carcinogenic to humans."

"This category is used when there is limited evidence of carcinogenicity in humans and sufficient evidence of carcinogenicity in experimental animals. In some cases, an agent (mixture) may be classified in this category when there is inadequate evidence of carcinogenicity in humans and sufficient evidence of carcinogenicity in experimental animals and strong evidence that the carcinogenesis is mediated by a mechanism that also operates in humans. Exceptionally, an agent, mixture or exposure circumstance may be classified in this category solely on the basis of limited evidence of carcinogenicity in humans."

So it makes sense to use reasonable precautions when spraying (mask, gloves, minimize bare skin, don't spray when windy), but like diesel exhaust (same category) you're not going to drop dead from occasional modest exposure.

I don't worry about pets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭con747

Buy Gallup 360 in a local agri store or similar it is only about €28-€35 for 5 litres of concentrate that will kill what you need it to, from grass to brambles. I bought a load last year in my local agri store for €27, you need to provide your name and address when buying it. Roundup is a rip off.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

con747 wrote: »
    Roundup is a rip off.

Tend to agree. Trouble I find with Roundup? It's Not a " Weed Killer ". It's a Weed Suppressant.

Eg. I have (Had!) a pineapple weed under my window. I've sprayed it ~ and the rest of my compound ~ religiously. Year on year. Now? After seeing it " Die ", every summer, the bloody stuff's taking over! I have a mass of the stuff beneath my window!

Basically, Roundup just seems to tell the growth to get its head down. Shrivel up and go out of sight. But, it does Zero to the roots. So, next year, the stuff resurfaces and ye buying More Roundup to recommence battle. (KerChing! Monsanto!)

I'm getting my brush cutter / strimmer out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Where can you buy Gallop360? have similiar issue.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Where can you buy Gallop360? have similiar issue.

Google Gallup 360 Ireland and you will see plenty of stores but Agri stores and Co Ops will usually have it cheapest for farmers use but you will need to give your name and address.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Herbicides are only available over the counter in pre mixed doses to residential users. To get effective kill with something like Glyphosphate you need to use the professional grade which is or should be only available to licensed users.

Residential doses are pretty much safe to the point of only burning the growth off. Correctly applied glypohosphate will kill most plants to the roots preventing regrowth. Some persistent weeks like bindweed, mares tail etc will need several applications or spot treatment. RoundUp, Gallup etc are retail names for the chemical.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

con747 wrote: »
    Google Gallup 360 Ireland and you will see plenty of stores but Agri stores and Co Ops will usually have it cheapest for farmers use but you will need to give your name and address.

Local Glambia want a herd number now before they'll let you have Roundup.

GinSoaked wrote: »

I get mine in my local agri store and they just ask for your name and address, others might not be so easy on the restrictions.

All asking for a PU Number (which I had to google) :(

This stuff would fix my garden (chopped down 3 massive trees and now the sun hits a new area, weeds have devastated it, Roundup delays the weeds for a bit)

All asking for a PU Number (which I had to google) :(

This stuff would fix my garden (chopped down 3 massive trees and now the sun hits a new area, weeds have devastated it, Roundup delays the weeds for a bit)

You realise that Gallup 360 and Roundup are essentially the same, right?

You realise that Gallup 360 and Roundup are essentially the same, right?

Roundup doesnt kill weeds it slightly slows them down, they come back every year.

Google and boards suggests Gallop is a better herbicide.

Roundup doesnt kill weeds it slightly slows them down, they come back every year.

It's the same active ingredient, glyphosate.

Killing top growth but not roots is an indicator of using the wrong concentration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Gallop is cheaper and boards members will nearly always recommend the cheaper option.

Correct use of either will kill most weeds in one hit but obviously many will come back from seed. Very little glyphosate won't get rid of.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

Great info in this thread, thanks.

I'm going to spray the weeds today. Just want to ask, how much Roundup per litre of water would you guys normally use ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Gallop is cheaper and boards members will nearly always recommend the cheaper option.

Correct use of either will kill most weeds in one hit but obviously many will come back from seed. Very little glyphosate won't get rid of.

What would be the correct concentrate?

Whatever it says on the label.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bb12

if you have pets keep them off the area you've sprayed for the day at least

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Understood, and thanks.

I thought maybe there was a suggestion that a higher concentrate than on the "retail" labelling was needed.

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Understood, and thanks.

I thought maybe there was a suggestion that a higher concentrate than on the "retail" labelling was needed.

No, messing with the concentrations is likely to cause more problems. Roundup at high concentrations acts as a dessicant, which is one of the more obnoxious uses of it in agriculture (Google "crop dessication"). You want it translocating to the roots to kill the whole plant.

Gallop is a generic.

Glyphosphate is the product developed by Monsanto first marketed as Roundup. Once patent expired other companies can bring to market usually cheaper as they didn't incur development costs.

Gallup and Roundup are exactly the same. See my original post on registered pesticide users. Retail pre mixed product is usually using 180g/ml dosage, professional rates are generally 360g/ml.

Roundup at high concentrations acts as a dessicant, .

Roundup at low concentrations is used as a desiccant - it has been used to brown out crops to speed up readiness for harvest.

Glyphosphate as a herbicide in correct concentrations acts on plant enzymes, disrupting the growth cycle and cellular activity. That's how it is classed as a total herbicide.

sconhome wrote: »
    Roundup at low concentrations is used as a desiccant - it has been used to brown out crops to speed up readiness for harvest.

Glyphosphate as a herbicide in correct concentrations acts on plant enzymes, disrupting the growth cycle and cellular activity. That's how it is classed as a total herbicide.

Ah, I think I'm getting mixed up with reports of people saying that excessive concentration just kills top growth without reaching the roots.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Just pull it out after a rainy day
    Took me two years doing that 4 times a year and its all gone
    Now its a easy job for an hour to take out some of the newcomers weeds

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Do they want you to kill your cattle with it?
    I ordered my Roundup online from N.I.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,022 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Spraying a high concentration of salty water will also kill off the grass (and most anything else going)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Over the years I've used Roundup, Gallup, Touchdown and Doff (Aldi used to sell it). I use 200ml to 15 litres roughly and they they all do the trick by killing everything they land on. I've had no issue with any of them, other than the price of Roundup, doing the job and have used them mainly for paving and under hedging.
    Recently bought 5l Gallup in NI, delivered all in for €31.

Advertisement