Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying a drone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

It's hard to give a recommendation without knowing what you want to use the drone for. I haven't used any of those three myself, but all I could say would be to trawl through the Amazon reviews and make your mind up from there. Youtube have lots of flight test videos as well so check those out for each model, and see if the image quality etc is what you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

just to add my 5cents
    relatively cheap drones havent got any sensors so if you're new to 'droning', it might cost you much more, mean cost of spare parts (if available) so if your budget will let you, go for one of Mavics (Air or Air2) as they're worth every penny spent on them.
    Myself, at the start, I did set my budget on 400e max then spent countless hours reading reviews and watching youtube videos showing particular drones in action, especially in windy condition - every 'cheap' drone failed... so decided to get Air (FlyMore combo) and didnt regret paying 1000e for it. I've flew it in some bad (windy) condition and it never failed me. Apart of that, proximity / collision sensors working very well plus intelligent fly modes are pretty cool. On the top, video / picture quality is very good ...
    ..so its your call :)

Anyways, if you dont want / cant spend as much, I'd go for Hubsan Zino Pro https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000601616317.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.4d8634ecQCer8Q&algo_pvid=46765192-2150-46d9-b34b-fd7b4db1824a&algo_expid=46765192-2150-46d9-b34b-fd7b4db1824a-0&btsid=0ab50f6215904821489327646e537f&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_ but yet again, Hubsan havent got sensors which can save drones life

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Irishvillian

irishejit wrote: »
    It's hard to give a recommendation without knowing what you want to use the drone for. I haven't used any of those three myself, but all I could say would be to trawl through the Amazon reviews and make your mind up from there. Youtube have lots of flight test videos as well so check those out for each model, and see if the image quality etc is what you are looking for.

I'm just looking for something that I can mess around with at home,ie flying around in the local fields, want to get used to flying before I buy something more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

You'll definitely find the cheaper drones harder to fly as stuff hunter says they don't have half the amount of sensors....on the other hand if you learn to fly one of those cheaper ones you will be able to fly anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The hubsan would be ideal especially for starting out and learning to fly ,
    Plenty of spares cheaply available you definitely don't need advance sensors and fancy software that essentially controls everything ,start basic and go from there

• Advertisement

agree with above posts 100pc
    Hubsan might be a good alternative,just do research how they're performing in windy condition :)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Irishvillian

Just watched a couple of videos of the mavic mini,I think that's the one I'll go for looks a great drone.

Just watched a couple of videos of the mavic mini,I think that's the one I'll go for looks a great drone.
    mini is a bit overpriced and as far as I know, doesnt handle wind too good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Anjunadeep

Thinking about getting a drone but I have no idea where to start and have a lot of learning to do.
    Would anyone be able to recommend some online resources ?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

mini is a bit overpriced and as far as I know, doesnt handle wind too good :)
    I've had a Mini for a couple of months now. Nothing the size of a mini will handle high winds well. That's physics for you. It's one of the few in the price range that has a 3 axis gimbal to stabilise the camera, so even though the drone is getting buffeted, the video looks unaffected. The mini is my first drone so the main reason I went DJI because DJI Care Refresh means I can crash it, trash it, and DJI will replace it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Good market for a DJI Spark online if you wanted a starter

My 2 cents, spend a couple bob on a decent one, i went cheap first but ended up frustrated with the camera and spent a couple hundred on a FIMI x8 , much better and wish i had just bitten the bullet

And also, good thing about the mini is that you can bring it anywhere, dont buy something you will feel self conscious about flying. You want to be able to take it out of bag and fly it within seconds

I use a MiDrone 4K for work stuff. My honest advice is buy something middle-of-the-road. Cheap stuff will just flop and fall apart on you, and expensive stuff is invariably going to lie in the bottom of your wardrobe for years to come.

Drone flying is a bit of a laugh, but unless you're actually doing something of note, it can get boring pretty fast, in my opinion. Perhaps it's because i use them here and there for work purposes (photography) but I find them a bit of a pain and cant really see what the joy would be to be flying it as a hobby, unless you were also into photography and wanted to take nice pictures.

Actually flying it around, is a bit 'meh'. I know some people get into racing drones and that kinda thing, which id say is a bit of fun, but that's because there's a purpose to it. Aimlessly flying around can quickly become a chore that you do just because you spent so much on a drone in the first place, that you feel obligated to show an interest, in my opinion.

Advertisement