Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just One More Watch - Youtube reviewer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Interesting video on the Seagull 1963 from Just One More Watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFLqBdcbhkc

His info on this particular watch isn't really correct - unless he stated in the video that the 1963 isn't a Sea-Gull watch at all.

The Sea-Gull version of the watch is called the D304:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=seagull+d304&client=firefox-b-d&sxsrf=ALeKk03IlYWVJ-Z39qzEqiIHU6Y2QJz__Q:1589139411777&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjZu4zRharpAhUxonEKHUj_DYkQ_AUoAXoECAwQAw&biw=1920&bih=966

In terms of the 1963 variants (and it's something I followed closely on the Chinese mech forum) - none of them are "Sea-Gull 1963s" - some were made by Tslinen Sea-Gull in HK in the original batch.

You might notice that none of them have Sea-Gull logos or Sea-Gull wording. On the dial it states 21 jewels, Tianjin Watch Factory (that term isn't TM'd by Sea-Gull to my understanding hence it's more "homage"/inspiration than fake). They use ST1901 movements but you can buy these to install in anything you want.

He is right that HKED makes pretty good 1963s right now - but they aren't Sea-Gull watches (banie01 likes the bund version I recommended him too that HKED made for people who liked the column wheel chrono movement but not necessarily the 1963 vintage throwback).

So in short - none of the 1963s are Sea-Gull 1963s - so none of them could possibly be "fake".

You can go ahead and ask any guangzhou factory to make you a 1963 if you like - exactly what the 1963s currently look like and there would be no issue with anyone suing you for trademark infringement. If you made a D304 though Sea-Gull could pursue you for making a fake.

It's not helped by some sellers using the term "re-issue" which may suggest to some people that this was somehow officially sanctioned/released by Sea-Gull but instead it is like buying a Parnis or Alpha - not something directly from Sea-Gull themselves. Anything goes wrong you'll need to contact your seller and Sea-Gull won't be servicing this watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Big fan of Jody's channel. Only recently developed an interest in watches and my budget means that any collection I build for the next year will be budget based, so his channel is particularly relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Be carefull with this stuff. Yes this channel is good and jody is charasmatic, but remember you are being sold stuff here. He is shilling watches and living on affiliate links. He does review quality watches also, but there is not a consistent standard which makes it hard to take it seriously. If you get to the point where you have 10 affordable watches, your really sitting on one good watch and now you stuck trying to shift 10 watches that look good in photos but feel like crap on the wrist after the thrill of "another new thing" is gone.

Look at the graph below, a funny one. I am somewhere between 4,5 & 6, but generally the longer you are in the hobby the more this makes sense. If you are going to buy affordable be careful to buy watches you can shift without loosing too much money. Automatic seiko is a good example. Ovoid Orient, and parnis When you get to the point where you are going to spend good money like 500 - 1500 euro dont fall into that trap of ...."well I just buy what I like" thats an excuse to buy "Sh1tters". Take some advice from the long term collectors, I wish I had in the early days. Its a fun hobby but we are not all individual flowers, and quality is always worth the money/ Once your collection has a backbone of quality, then you can add individuality and flair. Do not underestimate the power of saving. A watch you think you will never own is quite attainable if you just wait a few years and save.

8twodvpw7y921.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭redlead

All valid points. Out of interest what is considered ****ty Swiss? Is this the likes of Hamilton and Tissot or would Oris and Longines fall into this category? People love to look down on TAG but is this warranted? I never had one so don't really know. What's so bad about them?

Speaking from personal experience - I don't think there is anything bad per se about Tags at all. Most don't speak to me however - in the past when they were using ETA and Valjoux movements it seemed like they were trading on previous Heuer prestige without trying something different (but then again watchmaking can be a pretty conservative industry - no-one complains about Calatravas not "pushing the envelope" - but TG weren't positioning themselves in that arena - but doing the F1 tie in - young/dynamic positioning).

TG's positioning can be seen in the very large depreciation they take on the 2nd hand market - you don't get the same with Rolex, Omega or even say a Seiko. Sadly they might be more like a Zenith (which is a brand I quite like for their one movement though) - as in unless you were happy to spend retail prices because you can afford anything you want and just wanted that Tag then you'll be in for a bad time if you ever want to sell your Tag.

Put it this way - when I got burgled they took my Speedmaster and Aquaracer - I immediately started search for a replacement Speedmaster - never did replace that Aquaracer because (to me) the design didn't speak out differently compared to the other chronographs I had already and it just didn't feel "special" to me.

@Fitzgeme - where do microbrands fit in on that graph? :D

I agree that you'll find that if in time you have 10 affordable watches you might have been able to get that Omega/Rolex etc. - but going through the process of the affordables and discovering what you like/don't like is valuable too. I keep a spreadsheet on my watches - incoming/outgoings - I have seen that yeah - with all the watches that I've owned - if I just saved all that I can buy into the Patek level etc. - but would I be truly happy not having experienced all those watches - rotating in and out? Maybe for some - if they knew from the beginning that they would be 100% satisfied with that Nautilus and save up for it - but...how would they even know about a Nautilus without having experienced a Seiko Turtle, Hamtun H2, Longines Hydroconquest etc. beforehand?

Would Wibbs be at 5, 6 or 7 I wonder? :D

@red - I think the graph is a little outdated now - Tag actually has become that cutting edge brand they kinda aspired to be back in the 00s - their mikrograph movement, mikrogirder, super accurate movement (that LVMH forced them to give to Zenith) all point to them actually producing some really innovative stuff - if I had a mikrogirder watch I wouldn't be selling that I think - it'd occupy an interesting niche in any watch collection.
    https://www.calibre11.com/tag-heuer-mikrogirder-2000/
    https://www.professionalwatches.com/whatever-happened-to-the-zenith-defy-lab/ (this movement was researched by Tag)

a "poopy Swiss" would be something more like Invicta I would have thought - and even they seem to have improved from their 00s pseudo-marketing BS of "RRP of 5 billion dollars so 99.999% off and available at only $900!!!"

• Advertisement

redlead wrote: »
    All valid points. Out of interest what is considered ****ty Swiss? Is this the likes of Hamilton and Tissot or would Oris and Longines fall into this category? People love to look down on TAG but is this warranted? I never had one so don't really know. What's so bad about them?

I think the fun of the hobby is finding this out.(it can get heated talking about watches you know)...;) I am not brave enough tonight to comment but I have only started drinking.
    Thirdfox wrote: »
    @Fitzgeme - where do microbrands fit in on that graph? :D

Microbrands are the flesh on the bones of a quality collection, but generally I try to avoid unless they are of very specific interest to me (like a certain Irish kickstarter I am following). Microbrands are by definition niche, and most collectors are better served building their knowledge on the classics first. Developing a unique style is an advanced move. Like a sexual fetish, you need some missionary experiance before you commit to the lifestyle. :P

I almost missed the edit you put in there Fitz :D - I guess I'd be the "helicopter" then - warning NSFW dictionary entry:
    https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=helicopter&utm_source=search-action

Pretty niche tastes.

I think another potential benefit from microbrands is that you might be able to communicate directly with the owner and 1) well it could go terribly if the brand is something that's a fly by night (and that might not even be the intention of the owner either) and no trace is there in 2-3 years' time or 2) you might be able to get in touch on a 1 to 1 basis and influence the design of watches directly at source (try writing in to Omega with your ideas, or even to Sea-Gull ha).

The graph probably needs to be updated though what with Seiko pushing their prices up - go get a respectable $50 Chinese (non-fake!) watch to get started into the world of automatic mechanicals - Seiko/Citizens might be 2nd stage now.

I'd also put in a Vostok phase - when you realise that the world isn't just Swiss and a $50 watch can be "cool" too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭893bet

I think you skipped 5 Fitz.......

I see Paul Thorpe is hanging up his watch. And the urban gentry. Can’t say I will miss either.

The one channels I watch every video of these days is watchfinder, timeless and bark and jack.

893bet wrote: »
    I think you skipped 5 Fitz.......

I see Paul Thorpe is hanging up his watch. And the urban gentry. Can’t say I will miss either.

The one channels I watch every V iuideo of these days is watchfinder, timeless and bark and jack.

I don't think Urban Gentry is going away, it will probably just be in a slightly different format and with less regularity. I wonder do watch box actually own the rights to it now that his contract is up. Even though he's full of crap and apparently plagiarised a lot of material, the actual content is alright I think. I haven't really looked at it much recently but really enjoyed it when I first got into watches.

Timeless is the best channel around at the moment in my opinion. If you look past his massive ego, the quality of his videos are superb. He must put massive work into filming and editing them and obviously has the artistic streak. His Breitling in Sienna video is TV quality. Obviously the channel is mostly rolex but that's where his collection is at at the moment (Fitzgemes stage 4 I believe). He's the best salesman Rolex never had. I am not generally a big fan of Rolex designs but now all I can think of is the yachtmaster 40 in dark rhodium.

I find Bark and Jack to be a bit of a bluffer. His video on changing his mind on Bremont is vomit inducing. Archie (we won't even go there) did a hilarious response video https://youtu.be/TdQqW7TFxDg

So many of the channels are just the same old lazy reviews of the same watches though. Even at that, hardly any will actually give a proper analysis of the watch like watchfinder or timeless will.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭micks_address

I don't think Urban Gentry is going away, it will probably just be in a slightly different format and with less regularity. I wonder do watch box actually own the rights to it now that his contract is up. Even though he's full of crap and apparently plagiarised a lot of material, the actual content is alright I think. I haven't really looked at it much recently but really enjoyed it when I first got into watches.

Timeless is the best channel around at the moment in my opinion. If you look past his massive ego, the quality of his videos are superb. He must put massive work into filming and editing them and obviously has the artistic streak. His Breitling in Sienna video is TV quality. Obviously the channel is mostly rolex but that's where his collection is at at the moment (Fitzgemes stage 4 I believe). He's the best salesman Rolex never had. I am not generally a big fan of Rolex designs but now all I can think of is the yachtmaster 40 in dark rhodium.

I find Bark and Jack to be a bit of a bluffer. His video on changing his mind on Bremont is vomit inducing. Archie (we won't even go there) did a hilarious response video https://youtu.be/TdQqW7TFxDg

So many of the channels are just the same old lazy reviews of the same watches though. Even at that, hardly any will actually give a proper analysis of the watch like watchfinder or timeless will.

Yeah i dont mind TGV... he obviously got stung by the pandemic as id have thought the watchbox contract would have run longer otherwise.

• Advertisement

One channel I can suggest (and not because he accepted a review of my watch :D ) is Relative-time - he goes the extra mile in filming the watches (putting different straps on them etc.) - but of course he is operating in the affordables arena and not looking at Pateks/Rolexs etc.

I can confirm that his reviews are honest too (i.e. no payment is necessary) and if a company decides to gift him a watch he apparently then auctions it off for charity later on too (and declares straight off that it was given to him).

Not afraid to point out flaws too and calls it as he sees it (he did a review on a Boldr watch where the 12 o'clock index was clearly misaligned - and said so).

He's covered a few Seiko watches etc. too so it's not just micro-brands.

Put it this way - a reviewer that writes back asking exactly how to pronounce Sólás - is taking his work seriously :)

Yeah i dont mind TGV... he obviously got stung by the pandemic as id have thought the watchbox contract would have run longer otherwise.

I think the normal watchbox viewers hates TGV with a passion. I personally find him a pompus dingus and he is a awful shill. He does bring a lot of new people to the hobby but he is not a good fit for Watchbox.

Watchbox and watchfinder to great vids and you know that they are sellers so you know you are being sold.

Thorpe is good, but it takes him too long to get to the point and I couldnt trust him with all his bought subscribers that then vanished.

Bark and Jack is good , I like that one, although prone to click bait.

Caseback Watch Channel is good. German fellow,

Timeless watch channel is good (although he makes two tone look good which is a skill in itself). One of our own and deserves some support, he has the skills and charisma to get his point across.

London Watch Collector is great, guy has a fab collection, seems to by a 10k watch every week.

I suppose most of these guys are reliant on their own collection, so you get either a Patek or Rolex heavy channel or you get a endless stream of tatt shop watches

Then there is the pontiff...Archie Luxery aka Paul Pluta....say what you want but the entertainment value is something else, once you get into it and learn his shtick you soone realise this guy is a legend.

Bear Clooney is a great channel if you are into Rolex and Omega.

Then there is the pontiff...Archie Luxery aka Paul Pluta....say what you want but the entertainment value is something else, once you get into it and learn his shtick you soone realise this guy is a legend.

sometimes I actually have tears running down my cheeks I find him so funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Timeless is the best channel around at the moment in my opinion. If you look past his massive ego, the quality of his videos are superb. He must put massive work into filming and editing them and obviously has the artistic streak. His Breitling in Sienna video is TV quality. Obviously the channel is mostly rolex but that's where his collection is at at the moment (Fitzgemes stage 4 I believe).

He says as much himself in the video I watched last night, mentions he had several Omegas before. Last minute or two:

Someone calls him a Rolex fanboi, and he responds by saying we caught him in a Rolex moment.

I think I've just landed myself at stage 4 too, if you would have told me this would happen a few years ago, I would have laughed in your face :D

unkel wrote: »
    He says as much himself in the video I watched last night, mentions he had several Omegas before. Last minute or two:

I think I've just landed myself at stage 4 too, if you would have told me this would happen a few years ago, I would have laughed in your face :D

I think I'm at stage 4 mentally ..... eh except without having a Rolex :D

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I think I'm at stage 4 mentally ..... eh except without having a Rolex :D

That's where I was only 3 weeks ago. Then I got one. And now I already want other ones :o:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Caseback Watch Channel is good. German fellow,

Yeah Tim is about the only watch channel guy I warm to. Totally independent views and willing to branch out into his other interests, music, sartorial style, leather working and popular philosophy. A real renaissance man.

unkel wrote: »
    That's where I was only 3 weeks ago. Then I got one. And now I already want other ones :o:p

The price of entry is high but the cost of ownership is practically nil if you buy right. Looks like the world will head into a high inflation period, cash is not where you want your money, and there are worse things to tie up money in than a few nice Rolex. The are very liquid (easy to sell) and you get the pleasure of wearing them to boot. Problem is that Rolex is seen as show off & snooty by those below and its seen a mid tier mass produced and unimaginative by those above.
    893Bet made a good point that watch collecting so long as you dont buy a load of garbage is a pretty cheap hobby, sometimes you make a few hundred, sometimes you loose a few hundred, but most hobbies are 100% loss.
    . A real renaissance man.

Tending to the hipster some would say.

One other channel I watch is the TheWatches.tv - https://www.youtube.com/user/thewatchestv/videos

They only look at the really high end stuff mostly - and they're pretty much positive about all the pieces they handle (I guess you won't get much access to high end pieces if you trash their watches) but having that kind of access is pretty cool.

How many watch channels can get invited to tour through the ALS factory?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGAsib-4mCk

So I think it's useful and they don't overegg how wondrously marvellous each 250,000 piece is - and anyway if you were spending 250k on a watch you wouldn't really care two hoots what Joe Public thinks :D

Tending to the hipster some would say.

He's too old to be a hipster, cool eccentric German IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

All New - Top 10 AliExpress Sale Watches!

celtic_oz wrote: »
    All New - Top 10 AliExpress Sale Watches!

Watch Porn $23,000 tourbillon with Kama Sutra watchcase.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I love that reef tiger. Might have to investigate that more, very nice watch

San Martin is another brand that seems to offer a lot of value for money at that price range (I haven't any personal experience of them though).

Latest offering is the Dekla fleiger.

Is it in the Stowa league?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81crNqMO39o&feature=em-uploademail

Latest offering is the Dekla fleiger.

Is it in the Stowa league?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81crNqMO39o&feature=em-uploademail

Looks very impressive for the money. I'm not a huge Flieger fan but it would be hard justify the Stowa over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I do like a Flieger and I wouldn't be able to justify the Stowa over the Dekla even with Stowa having prominence.

Latest YT video from Just one more watch.

Jody reviews a two-tone GMT Master 2 and questions the Rolex's QC on this A$20,000 watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_jyY6ESZO4

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭893bet

Did he use the phrase “bat person” a load of times.

Enough to turn me off listening to him.

Rolex is a mass produced item. There will always be QC issues.

• Advertisement

893bet wrote: »
    Did he use the phrase “bat person” a load of times.

Twice.

Advertisement