Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Luigi's Mansion 3

• 16-10-2019 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,789 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I didn't see a thread for Luigi's Mansion 3 and with release a little over two weeks away I said I'd get the ball rolling.

This is my most eagerly awaited game on Switch. Can't wait to play it and might need to pull a sickie from work to jump straight in (either that or play the switch under the desk and hit the keyboard every few minutes :pac:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Hope it's a decent length. I loved LM2 on the 3DS, but LM1 is a bit dated now (and very short).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Is this a brand new game rather than a port from an older system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

TinCool wrote: »
    Is this a brand new game rather than a port from an older system?

Switch exclusive

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Have this pinned for day one pickup.

Switch has been such a good experience for me mainly because I'm playing it with my two young daughters all the time. This looks like something we will all enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 15,984 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Luigi’s Mansion 3 - ScreamPark Mode - Nintendo Switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx7ssg42qLA

• Advertisement

First review is out in Famitsu. I'll spoiler for anyone who wants to stay in the dark.
    It got 8/8/8/9, which is a very respectable 33.
    However it's the worst scored of the 3 games, with LM1 getting 34 and Dark Moon getting 35.

They may have docked it a point for the upcoming paid DLC. I know I would. The game should be released complete. I don't like how some games try to milk extra money from consumers.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭ Karson Spoiled Splendor

Mr E wrote: »
    Hope it's a decent length. I loved LM2 on the 3DS, but LM1 is a bit dated now (and very short).

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

sligeach wrote: »
    They may have docked it a point for the upcoming paid DLC. I know I would. The game should be released complete. I don't like how some games try to milk extra money from consumers.

I think that judgement should wait until we see the extent of the DLC.
    I mean, if it represents value to someone they'll buy it, otherwise they can ignore it.

But it'll also depend on the core game being substantial enough to make it worth the outlay.

Further details on the Famitsu review.
    LUIGI’S MANSION 3 REVIEW

1st reviewer: It takes place in a ghost hotel, and the construction of each floor is done greatly. With surprises like “Eh, this thing moves! Can I enter here!?” I unintentionally took lots of detour due to the fun of sucking every little things inside the room. I became enthusiastic in gathering money and finding gems, so I tend to end up postponing the rescue of Mario and the others… Because there are many hidden features, this has a perfect compatibility with Joy-Con sharing multiplayer as you can explore while conversing noisily. The enemy ghosts are also unique and good. 9

2nd reviewer: The series’ characteristics – such as the comical horror taste, unexpected brain testing in solving puzzles, and capturing ghosts – are still preserved well. The new Slam action is thrilling; it produces a liveliness in attacking & defending against ghosts, which is good. The gimmick solving features by switching controls to Gooigi is also nice. As for the methods to beat bosses, you have to observe them well and get an insight; that’s part of what makes it interesting, but perhaps there may be some people who might feel like it’s a bit difficult. 8

3rd reviewer: My heart throbs every time I open a door. The Halloween mood swells up in the comical horror house~. As you proceed with the exploration, the feature to capture ghosts will be eventually added, allowing a variety of actions to be unleashed and not making it boring. My frank impression is that this is a usual Luigi’s Mansion game, but the natural update to fit the hardware is just as expected. The series’ unique inherent flavor is kept as-is, and it’s being finished up to not let people feel that it’s outdated. 8

4th reviewer: The direction as an action game with an emphasis on “honest fun on stepping according to procedures” is the same as the series’ past titles. The quality and quantity of things sucked by the vacuum have both gone up, and so does the sense of exhilaration. The game tempo itself is comfortable, so people who enjoy it with a unique sense of humour should be able to spend some luxury time. The mini-games, which are built for multiplayer as a premise, can also be used as a fairly good amusement. 8

Total score: 33/40

https://japanesenintendo.com/2019/10/23/luigis-mansion-3-review/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

In fairness Sligeach, that sounds like the perfect Luigi's Mansion game to me.
    I remember trying to convince a games magazine, to whom I lent my launch GC, along with Monkey Ball and LM, that it was as great as an Xbox with Halo.
    They had a PS2 as well but that was no threat, though the console became essential, for the first year or two or was awful.

Sounds great!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Seems to be warmly received so far, 86 on metacritic after 54 reviews. Watched a few reviews who said gameplay wise it's a bit easy as slamming ghosts is overpowered & there isn't as much of a struggle battling the ghosts as past games. The multiplayer doesn't seem to be particularly good but praised the boss fights & the length seems to be around the same as Dark Moon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭conormario

2nd party company, Next Level Games, did this for Nintendo. They also did the 3ds game. Looks gorgeous. I am amazed at what's happening with the switch. The thing is as quite as a mouse, uses a tiny amount of energy vs (example) PS4 ...

Thinking their are a lot of excellent 3ds teams out there who've yet to make their mark on switch. E.g. mercury steam who did Samus Returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Trying not to read too much about it, but is it structured more like Dark Moon or the first one? Like do we have to go in and out each time?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Just pre-ordered from the Nintendo website. Got the special edition with the lamp thing.
    Had to go via Parcel Motel though, so I'm hoping it arrives alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Just pre-ordered from the Nintendo website. Got the special edition with the lamp thing.

They cancelled an order on me before, when I was issuing parcel motel, but I know others had better luck, so fingers crossed for ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭uchimata83

Star Lord wrote: »
    They cancelled an order on me before, when I was issuing parcel motel, but I know others had better luck, so fingers crossed for ya!

I had no problems with orders from the site, using address pal

Hoping Luigi's Mansion 3 is still a part of their trade in deals, have a game here that should get me 50% off.
    Fingers crossed, will ramble in and check it out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

That lamp looks great, hope someone gets bored of it and I find on in Cex.

Does Smyths do trade-ins/ second hand games? I don't think they do?

• Advertisement

They don't any more, unfortunately.

It's 49.99 in Smyths as a pre-order which is a good price IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I got it on CDKeys for 45 or so, which I'm happy with. It's not likely to drop that low for a long while with a Nintendo sale.

That worked a treat
    GameStop have Yokus Island Express on their trade in offer list, despite my buying it for less than €20 ages ago. (I haven't played it since 2018)
    Along with my loyalty card it means I've just pre-ordered and paid in full for Luigi's Mansion 3, costing me the princely sum of €25!

Mod Note:

Posts moved from this thread to the LoZ:LA thread.

As pleasant as debate is, please keep game specific threads about that game only, aside from a relevant comment about another. If you want to debate, take it to that thread or even make one, if it doesn't exist.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 27,789 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Just got a text from GameStop to remind me that my pre-order will be available tomorrow. Like I'm going to forget :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

It's 49.99 in Smyths as a pre-order which is a good price IMO

Yeah I was surprised when he told me I only had 45 left to pay.

Hope we get some goodies, some nice keyrings and a nice steelbook knocking around some of the mainland European stores.

Luigi is objectively the best brother, don't @ me.

Anyone know if the multiplayer content is just the single player in co-op or if there's distinct multiplayer stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Well that review psyched me up so much that I ordered the Luigi and Polterpup statue!

So excited for this game tomorrow! And what a great day to release it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

The_B_Man wrote: »

Got an email from Nintendo:

=======
    Thank you for placing your recent order.

We are sorry that the following products have not yet been sent for your order <order number>

We are following this up and will keep you upated on the status of your order. You can check the status yourself by clicking on order history in your account.
    ======

Then below it says "Late items" and shows the luigi and lamp.

I'm hoping it's just a delay rather than being cancelled.

Advertisement