Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Strange they're releasing Spider-man as PS5 exclusive considering what it is. I know it's too attract people to the PS5, but isn't it like releasing Left Behind as a PS4 exclusive or Lost Legacy as a PS5 exclusive if built on the same engine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Strange they're releasing Spider-man as PS5 exclusive considering what it is.

The enhancements they are making to the original game needs new hardware to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Strange they're releasing Spider-man as PS5 exclusive considering what it is. I know it's too attract people to the PS5, but isn't it like releasing Left Behind as a PS4 exclusive or Lost Legacy as a PS5 exclusive if built on the same engine

Reports from IGN are that Spiderman PS4 is being remastered for PS5 and Miles Morales will be an expansion to that as part of a PS5 bundle. Fairly big info to leave out last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Their website says similar, only mentions next-gen and PC
    https://www.capcom-unity.com/2020/06/11/resident-evil-village-brings-fear-to-new-heights-in-2021/
    That’s all we have for now, but be sure to keep a close eye on Resident Evil Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram channels for the latest information on Resident Evil Village, coming to PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X, and PC in 2021!

I get the point about limiting your market of 100m+ current-gen consoles, but the reasons may be two-fold; firstly it might not be able to run on current-gen consoles, considering that even with the PS4 Pro and XB1X, games released on those consoles also have to be playable on the original base PS4 and XB1, which will be over 7 years old by the time RE8 comes out. But also with regards the size of the market, yes there are over 100m more consoles, but that's also an extremely saturated market. Whereas you release a new game from a major franchise on next-gen consoles when so few big-name games will be released for it too, you have a smaller market but a much greater market-share, and many may buy the game to have a "proper next-gen game" rather than a shinier, faster current-gen game.

If you release it and it's playable on base PS4/XB1 too, it's not going to seem like a next-gen game. And with what they may want to achieve with the game, they may not want to limit themselves to that old architecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,776 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Very hard to not see that game releasing on PS4 and Xbox. It'd sell very well on both especially after the success of 7 and RE2

• Advertisement

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Reports from IGN are that Spiderman PS4 is being remastered for PS5 and Miles Morales will be an expansion to that as part of a PS5 bundle. Fairly big info to leave out last night.

They hopefully will just have an upgrade patch and maybe pay for the Miles Morales DLC for people who already have Spider-Man on PS4. Just doesn't seem right to pay for it again.

On an unrelated note, is it possible to pre-order GTAV for PS5 yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Penn wrote: »

On an unrelated note, is it possible to pre-order GTAV for PS5 yet?

it's free for all PS5 owners

[ edit, just read the first bit of your post and I assume now you were joking lol )

it's free for all PS5 owners

[ edit, just read the first bit of your post and I assume now you were joking lol )

I was, but even then, I thought it was only GTA Online that was going to be free for PS5 owners? Is the single-player free too?

Just the online standalone will be free

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭xtal191

C0h3Apa.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 LaAlgerie

I love PS.

But PS5 is so ugly. I didn't expect this. Help. :confused::pac:

I really thought with the m.2 SSD it would be a smaller console. What the heck. A total of 1 game was mildy interesting. Yikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

LaAlgerie wrote: »
    I love PS.

But PS5 is so ugly. I didn't expect this. Help. :confused::pac:

I really thought with the m.2 SSD it would be a smaller console. What the heck. A total of 1 game was mildy interesting. Yikes.

Maybe it's just not for you? I'm all about the tech, games and how they'll leverage it all. No fanboi'ism. There's room for all the consoles in my book. Also
    in my book, I never judge one by it's cover.

LaAlgerie wrote: »

It's a very fast NVME SSD it may require cooling
    It the PS5 is very quiet then it's worth the extra size.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,373 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Surprised people care too much about the look of it, rarely see consoles on display in someone's house, usually in a cabinet or under the tv in the stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Indeed, a more cynical man might think that instead of announcing spider-man DLC, they're blatantly misrepresenting the product in order to curry favour with the current political situation unfolding in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭eggy81

Yep

isolated-shot-of-closed-rectangular-cardboard-box-on-white-background-picture-id512044474?b=1&k=6&m=512044474&s=612x612&w=0&h=mmW7UyICBuRJ4ECUsMBy5GC5hUGUIqolI6Zw3XVt91U=
    If only.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Homelander

The look of a console wouldn't put me off it at all but I do think the PS5 was generously beaten with the ugly stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ekerot

Honestly it looks like the digital version was designed first then the disk version came after. It does look unnecessarily bulky on the side for a PS console

I think it's the digital edition they want people to buy and the one with a disc drive is just there to keep some people happy
    There would be a backlash if the xbox series x has a drive and the ps5 does not.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

Does pricing need to be announced before preorders happen?

I remember this time in 2013 they announced the price and preorders happened straight away.

Probably won’t get pricing until August.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I remember this time in 2013 they announced the price and preorders happened straight away.

Nothing on Smyths or Gamestop apart from "register your interest".
    Signed up for both of them.
    Waiting game now for bundles etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Vyse Remastered

Overall, like the look of it. It's very big but I could live with that. Wasn't overly impressed with any games shown last night. I was sure that the GTAV start would be a segway into GTAVI:pac:

Pre-orders won't start until prices are announced. I wish they would both get the finger out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

With the digital console announced I am more interested in what they have planned for PS Now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I'm glad its a bit bigger,till I saw the size comparison I was a bit worried about cooling and noise being an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I started putting money away into gamestop since around xmas, under the guise of a preorder. you may be able to do similar?

Insomniac Games confirming that Spider-Man: Miles Morales is a standalone game. They also confirm to people in the replies that it's a standalone game.

https://twitter.com/insomniacgames/status/1271468232881422336?s=20

So it's likely it can be bought itself, or as part of a bundle with a remaster of the original.

I'm guessing it's not a full game itself like the original was, but great to hear it can be bought separately.

Did they say if GTAV was a free enchancement patch, or a whole new game you're supposed to buy ?

Did they say if GTAV was a free enchancement patch, or a whole new game you're supposed to buy ?

If you have PlayStation plus there will be a free online standalone GTA 5 on PS5

• Registered Users Posts: 27,320 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Penn wrote: »
    Insomniac Games confirming that Spider-Man: Miles Morales is a standalone game. They also confirm to people in the replies that it's a standalone game.

https://twitter.com/insomniacgames/status/1271468232881422336?s=20

So it's likely it can be bought itself, or as part of a bundle with a remaster of the original.

I'm guessing it's not a full game itself like the original was, but great to hear it can be bought separately.

Still not really clear. Is Spider-Man: Miles Morales a full price game? Can you just buy the Miles Morales add-on separately or do you have to buy the whole Spiderman package to get the Miles Morales add-on? Is that going to cost me €70? Is there a discount if I own Spiderman on PS4?

Sony are really screwing their messaging here, especially when you see stuff like this from Microsoft? It's like the two companies are swapping where they started the last generation from.

https://twitter.com/aarongreenberg/status/1271473338976628738?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

If it'd been a live show streamed or otherwise at least there'd have been interviews after and some of the inevitable question that pop up could be asked.

Sony have had a few standalone not full priced games released; infamous first light/festival of blood, TLOU Left Behind, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement