Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Microsoft Band

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

Apparently version 1 is down to $ 100 in the States now. If they matched that price here I think I'd pick it up even at this stage to give it a go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Any link for where it's being sold for 100 USD? Thanks!

MS store US is still showing at 179.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

It's in Best Buy - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?id=pcat17071&st=microsoft+band

Probably could get Amazon to price match.

Yeah bestbuy but they don't ship internationally.

How do you get Amazon to pricematch?

g0g wrote: »
    Yeah bestbuy but they don't ship internationally.

How do you get Amazon to pricematch?
    They talk about it here, but in the US it seems to only be for TV's and Mobile Phones.

Sorry, It's better on the UK Amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭pastor

Picked up a large Microsoft Band from Argos in Blanchardstown last week. I love it. I did not get a screen protector with it. I purchased one on e-bay and fitted with no problems.

pastor wrote: »
    Picked up a large Microsoft Band from Argos in Blanchardstown last week. I love it. I did not get a screen protector with it. I purchased one on e-bay and fitted with no problems.
    Oh yeah I see it there - € 195. When these first came out I'd have been all over it for that price! How do you find the battery life?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭pastor

Oh yeah I see it there - € 195. When these first came out I'd have been all over it for that price! How do you find the battery life?

So far so good I charge it for about 30 minutes each night and it is always down to 80%. I have clock on and the heart rate sensor on all the time and measure my sleep every night.

Really liking it. I agree the price is now steep at Argos but I nearly paid £400.00 when they first came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Microsoft Band - £119.99 Amazon Deal of the day

there is a new one coming (soon?) but this is a good deal for the watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

ablelocks wrote: »
    Microsoft Band - £119.99 Amazon Deal of the day

there is a new one coming (soon?) but this is a good deal for the watch.

Coming in about 5 hours, to be precise! Well announced anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

Hi

I am looking to get one of these bands, I have a Mi-Fit at the moment but need something better and I am sure this is.....

I was planning on getting Garmin Vivoactive: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00RE1UL52/ref=twister_B00S50HGN6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

But this is coming in a good bit cheaper, has anyone compared the both of them? Will the band do the job? Does it tracking cycling etc?

Thanks

I use it all the time for cycling and it's great for it - really accurate GPS (which can sometimes take a wee while to lock on at the start) without a phone needed, and battery life will easily last a 3 hour or so cycle (as long as you put the display into standby after starting the tracking that is). However, as mentioned, the second-generation Band is going to be announced later today, and may indeed be available sometime this month. It'll likely feature a number of hardware and comfort improvements, so I'd hang on until 5pm or so, and if you don't see a massive difference between Band v1 and v2, then grab that Amazon deal before the end of the day.

microsoft_0113.jpg

Second gen device official. Waiting on specifics.

Curved Gorilla Glass, scratch resistant, more touch responsive.

Elevation tracking through a barometer.

Could she just tell us when and how much please!!

Could she just tell us when and how much please!!

She's too busy bragging about how often she runs triathlons up mountains.

$249 October 30th

Shame they've upped the price a bit, I'll still be getting one. No mention of international availability.

@MJohnston are you just watching a text ticker too or listening live? Did they mention which regions from October 30th or US only?

I'm watching the livestream, they didn't say US-only, I'd assume they'd retain the existing markets, but they didn't mention it. Pre-order later today, so I guess we'll find out details then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

MJohnston wrote: »
    I'm watching the livestream, they didn't say US-only, I'd assume they'd retain the existing markets, but they didn't mention it. Pre-order later today, so I guess we'll find out details then.

I guess based on what you have said so far the deal on Amazon might be worth taking???

Redgirl82 wrote: »
    I guess based on what you have said so far the deal on Amazon might be worth taking???
    Might be. Haven't seen the full spec. Will be interested to hear battery life estimates etc.

Redgirl82 wrote: »

It seems like they've updated the UI a bit too. I dunno, I think I need to wait on battery life info to decide on that. There are a few extras that would make me miss not having the new hardware.

UK site saying £ 199.99

Band Material - Thermal plastic elastomer silicone vulcanate (TPSiV)
    Display Size - 32mm x 12.8mm
    Display Type - AMOLED
    Resolution - 320 x 128 pixels
    Battery Life - 48 hours of normal use4; advanced functionality like GPS use will impact battery performance
    Average Charge Time - full charge in less than 1.5 hours
    Battery Type - Li-Polymer
    Operating Temperature Ranges - -10°C to 40°C (14°F to 104°F)
    Maximum Operating Altitude - -300m to +4877m
    Warranty - 1 year limited warranty; additional statutory rights may apply in your country
    Sensors
    • Optical heart rate sensor
    • 3-axis accelerometer/gyro - Gyrometer
    • GPS
    • Ambient light sensor
    • Skin temperature sensor
    • UV sensor
    • Capacitive sensor
    • Galvanic skin response
    • Microphone
    • Barometer
    Additional Technology - Haptic vibration motor
    Connectivity - Bluetooth 4.0 (Low Energy)
    Supported mobile devices - Works with Windows Phone 8.1 update, iPhone®: 4S, 5, 5C, 5S, 6, 6 Plus, iOS® 8.1.2, and many Android™ 4.3-5.0 phones, with Bluetooth®
    Charge Cable Connector - Custom charge cable
    Water Resistance
    Microsoft Band meets these standards for dust- and water-resistance:
    IP6X: No ingress of dust. Complete protection against entry of dust.
    IPX7: Protection against temporary immersion in water (at depth of 1 meter for 30 minutes).
    IP67: Means it meets both the dust- and water-resistance standards above.
    But also....
    • Microsoft Band is not waterproof. Light rain and hand washing shouldn’t harm it, but do not immerse it in liquids of any kind. This means it should not be worn while swimming or in the shower.
    • Microsoft Band is dust- and water-resistant but not waterproof. It isn’t impervious to water damage in environments you may encounter.
    • Light rain, and hand washing shouldn’t harm it, but do not immerse it in liquids of any kind.
    • Microsoft Band isn’t intended for swimming. Remove it before swimming for recreation or fitness.
    • Microsoft Band isn’t intended to be worn in the shower. Remove it before showering or bathing.
    • Microsoft Band is intended for indoor/outdoor use in the presence of rain, snow, or brief splashes of water.
    • Microsoft doesn’t guarantee that Microsoft Band will operate normally if used in water or other liquids. It may be damaged if water enters it.
    • If Microsoft Band has been immersed in water or the microphone is wet, the microphone may not function properly.

Nothing new with the lack of waterproofing though. I wasn't expecting them to be able to solve that tbh, not with a microphone on board. Quoting the same battery life. Disappointing that there's no NFC on board.

Band 2 looks like it's still just USA, Canada and the UK for now. Priced £199 in the UK.

Microsoft Store website from the UK usually ships to Ireland.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Grand stuff I`ll be ordered one when they appear on the MS UK store.
    Should be up for pre-order today or tomorrow.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The Health app got an update, it's cleaned up the menu, and now has a new colour.

364844.PNG

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Any word on whether the golf app will work on Irish courses?

Advertisement