Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UPDATED FOR 2015- IEC FAQ Thread - please read here first and ask any questions here!

• 01-02-2014 7:39pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Hi guys,

I've put together a bit of an FAQ for the IEC, mostly thanks to the IEC FAQ page and fergusb's great thread (here).

Please read through this before asking any questions, and try to keep questions to this thread so there's one definitive thread for the questions that get asked over and over again.

If I've missed anything, or if any information is wrong, don't hesitate to let me know.

It'd be great if you could direct anyone with questions to this thread too, so hopefully it will become a really useful resource and save us having to read/explain the same things repeatedly.

1. Help! I want to go to Canada but I don’t know what I need to do!

International Experience Canada (IEC) offers a 24-month working holiday visa. This allows you to work in any job in Canada for up to 2 years. To participate, you must be an Irish citizen aged between 18-35, you must have a valid Irish passport for the duration of the trip, you must be able to demonstrate that you have at least CA$2,500 in your bank account on arrival in Canada and you must have health insurance for the duration of your trip.

The process is quite straight forward, so it’s generally advised that third parties such as USIT are simply as waste of money, and are no guarantee of a visa. You need to apply yourself once the visas open, and given how quickly they sold out in 2014, don't trust anyone else to apply for you.

Applications are all completed online, in 2 stages. Visas are allocated on a first come, first served basis and are expected to sell out within days (in 2014, Round 1 sold out in 8 minutes and Round 2 sold out in 20 minutes).

There is also a Young Professionals visa available. To qualify for this, you must have a written job offer from a Canadian employer before offering. Apart from that, the process seems virtually identical to the WHV process.

Thanks to fergusb for a lot of the following information.

2. What do I need for stage 1?

To apply for Stage 1, you need to create a Kompass account. You will only be able to create your account when IEC opens. If there is more than one category of IEC in your country, you can create a Kompass account as soon as the first category opens. It's strongly advised to have your Kompass account ready to go before the WHV category opens, if possible.

Creating a Kompass account does not mean that you have been given a spot in the quota for any of the categories. You must complete and submit the online application for a CAL in order to receive a spot.

You will use your Kompass account to manage your application for a CAL.

Note 1: You must create a new account even if you applied for a CAL in a previous year.

Note 2: You must enter your family name (surname) and given name(s) (first, second or more), passport number and date of birth exactly as they appear in your passport. Your application may be refused if the information you provide does not match your passport.

When the WHV category opens, you will need to immediately need to go to the visa category tab and select Working Holiday Visa. You'll be prompted to enter your email address and password again. Then you submit everything.

At this stage, if you've been successful, you'll be issued with a WTN and contacted within 48 hours to upload the necessary documents and pay the fee (CAD$150). You have 10 days after receiving your Notice of Receipt letter to submit your payment for the IEC participation fee and required documents. It is your responsibility to meet this deadline. Failure to submit payment and the required documents on time will result in the refusal of your application.

From 2015, payments must be made by credit card (it's possible that Visa Debit will also be accepted, but there's no guarantee).

You must upload (when prompted):

1. A copy of your passport. Your passport must not expire for the duration of your 2 year visa. Otherwise supposedly you will be only issued a visa until the expiry date of your visa.

2. A CV/Resume. This must contain the information specified at http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/resume.aspx. However the exact format is not specified and is not critical if previous years are anything to go on. You can upload MS Documents format (.docx) or PDF. (other formats may be supported).

After payment is completed, your IEC application will be assessed, if you are accepted you will receive a "Conditional Letter of Acceptance" which is required for Stage 2, receiving this letter can take 2 weeks.

Watch the YouTube videos about applying through Kompass:

- Video # 1: How to - Get Started (Create, activate and login to your Kompass account)
    - Video # 2: How to - Fill out and submit your IEC Kompass application form
    - Video # 3: How to - Pay your IEC participation fee and upload required documents.
    - Video # 4: How to and when to - Submit your work permit application
    - Video # 5: What do I need to - Come to Canada

3. What do I need for stage 2?

Important changed for 2015: Conditional Acceptance Letters are valid for 15 days. You must upload your CAL to your MyCIC account while it is still valid.

Stage 2 is run by CIC (Citizenship and Immigration Canada). You must create a myCIC account at: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/e-services/mycic.asp using the GCKey Login.

Within the myCIC account, you fill out an online form (the Come to Canada Questionnaire) at http://www.cic.gc.ca/ctc-vac/getting-started.asp under Getting Started

If you fill this out it should recommend an IEC visa and give you a unique code which identifies the forms you must complete. Alternatively, if you complete it within MyCIC, it will automatically link to your account and provide the forms that you need.

Completing this form you need to enter:

You want to Work in Canada.
    You want to stay for more than 6 months
    Nationality as Ireland
    Country of Residence is Ireland
    You Don't have a written offer from an employer in Canada

Everything else should be obvious in that form.

Once you have your Unique code, you can enter that into you MyCIC account which then lists all the forms you must complete and upload, if it hasn't been linked automatically.

There are 2 main forms to complete:

IMM1295E -> Which is your details, address, work, education, passport details.

IMM5707E -> Details your family, your parents address, their occupation and if they intent to join you in Canada.

CV (again)

Passport -> A scan of your passport (again)

Garda Certificate -> A scan of your Garda Certificate (detailed below)/Police clearance from any country you have lived in for 6 or more months since you have turned 18. If you have more than one police clearance cert, merge them into one PDF document. An easy way to do this is to use http://www.pdfmerge.com/

If your certificate is in a language other than English or French, send it when you apply, along with the original copy of a translation done by a certified translator.

You do not need to print and physically sign any of the forms. You validate them electronically which acts as your signature.

Once you submit this information, CIC will determine your eligibility. Depending on how busy they are this can take up to a month. You will be issued a "Letter of Introduction". This is valid for 1 calendar year. You must enter Canada within this period to get your visa. The Visa is valid for 2 years from the date of entry to Canada.

Garda Certificate: http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=2742&Lang=1 this takes a couple of weeks usually.

Details of obtaining Australian clearance can be found here: http://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/police-checks/national-police-checks.aspx

UK Clearance: http://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx

4. How long does it all take?

From start to finish, you should expect the process to take about 8 weeks.

5. How many visas will there be and how long will they be available for?

This year, 2014, there are 7,700 visas being released for Working Holidays, 2,500 Young Professional visas and 500 International Co-Op visas (for students coming to Canada on temporary placements and internships). They are expected to sell out quickly, based on last year, likely within a few hours or even minutes. Preparation is absolutely essential!

6. Is there an age limit?

Yes, you must be between 18 and 35.

7. What’s up with police clearance? When do I need to get it?

You need to get clearance from every country you’ve lived in for more than 6 months since you turned 18. Details of the Irish clearance can be found here: http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=2742&Lang=1

8. Do I need health insurance? Where can I get it cheaply?

Yes, you need health insurance for the entire duration of your stay. You may be asked for proof of this on entry to Canada, and denied entry if you don’t have it.

Three main options are available:

http://www.backpackertravelinsurance.ie/

Cost: €305 excluding winter sports, €355 including winter sports.

NB: You are allowed a single trip back to Ireland spanning a maximum of 14 days over the 2-year period. Any more than this and your insurance will be invalidated.

http://www.go4less.ie/insurance/index_canada.asp

Cost: €285 ex. Winter sports, €340 inc. winter sports

This allows for 2 trips back to Ireland per year, at a maximum of 14 days per trip. So this is 4 trips over the 2 year visa period.

VHI: Costs around €400, but allows you much more time to come and go from Ireland, and you remain covered by the insurance while you're home.

9. My passport is expiring soon! What do I do?

You need a valid passport to apply. Your passport must be valid for at least one day beyond the date of your departure from Canada and there must be one completely blank page, other than the last page, available in your passport

10. I’m going with my partner – can they travel on my visa?

No, you both need individual visas.

11. What should my resume look like? Can they refuse me if it doesn’t look right?

Resume details are here: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/resume.aspx . However, it’s extremely unlikely that you will be refused if your resume doesn’t follow this format.

12. How do I scan my passport without a scanner?

A clear picture taken should suffice.

13. What format should the documents be in?

PDF or a Word document for your CV, PDF or JPG for your passport.

14. Once I’ve gotten conditional acceptance, how long do I have to complete Stage 2?

The Conditional Letter of Acceptance is valid for 3 months once issued, which you should get within about 2 weeks of payment of the fees. Once you begin the MyCIC stage, you then have 60 days to complete it.

15. How long do I have to enter Canada once I get my visa approval?

You will be issued with a ‘Letter of Introduction’ which states for how long you have to activate the visa (1 calendar year, as of 2014).

16. My IEC application has been approved, but I will soon turn 36. Do I have to enter Canada before my birthday? Will my birthday limit the validity of my work permit?

No to both questions. Your Letter of Introduction is valid for presentation at a Canadian port of entry for the duration stated in the letter and is not affected if you turn 36 within its validity period.

17. Do I need to have a job lined up in Canada before I apply?

No, if you are applying under the working holiday category, you do not need to have a job lined up in Canada before you apply.

18. I do not have an Irish passport. Is there a working holiday arrangement for me?

Yes, many other countries are also signed up for the IEC. You should check the IEC website to see if your country is eligible.

19. If I am assigned an IEC spot and issued a Letter of Introduction but do not use it, will I get back the participation fee? May I apply again in other years?

Fees are non-refundable once the Letter of Introduction is issued. As well, each individual may participate in the IEC initiative only once. You are deemed a participant once you are issued a Letter of Introduction.

20. I am applying as a citizen of Northern Ireland. To which IEC initiative should I apply?

Citizens of Northern Ireland who hold a valid Irish passport should apply to the Ireland IEC initiative. Citizens of Northern Ireland who hold a valid U.K. passport should apply to the U.K. IEC initiative.

21. What do I need to show as proof of funds upon arrival in Canada?

You must have a statement from your bank account that must have been issued no more than one (1) week before your departure for Canada. It must clearly indicate that you have sufficient funds in your account to support yourself financially for the first three months of your stay in Canada (C$2,500).

22. I am currently renewing my passport. May I submit my application with a photocopy of my previous passport and a letter stating that my passport is being renewed?

No. You must submit a scan of the appropriate pages of your new passport, otherwise your application will be considered incomplete.

23. How long does my passport have to be valid for in order to apply?

You must hold a valid passport at the time you submit your application. If you have been accepted as a participant and you are preparing to enter Canada through IEC, the validity period of your passport should cover the whole time you plan to stay in Canada The validity period of your work permit may not extend beyond the validity period of your passport.

24. Do I need to book a return flight before I leave?

No. As long as you can demonstrate sufficient funds to cover the cost of a return flight (i.e. the CA$2,500 you need to have anyway), you don't need to actually buy a return flight.

25. Okay, I've read all of this and an IEC visa doesn't suit. What other options are there for visas?

Two other routes exist. An LMO visa and a Federal Skilled Worker visa. For an introduction to LMO visas, please read here: http://moving2canada.com/immigration-to-canada/labour-market-opinion-lmo-work-in-canada/

Information on the Federal Skilled Worker visa is available here: http://moving2canada.com/immigration-to-canada/federal-skilled-worker-program/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Loblox

Stupid question, I know, but I am seriously on edge because I hadn't caught this before. I just want to verify that BOI 365 is internet banking? I thought it was just via credit card, which I have, and I also have 365, so I'm okay?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Loblox wrote: »
    Stupid question, I know, but I am seriously on edge because I hadn't caught this before. I just want to verify that BOI 365 is internet banking? I thought it was just via credit card, which I have, and I also have 365, so I'm okay?

Yeah 365 is online banking

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Loblox

Faith wrote: »
    Yeah 365 is online banking

Cool, thanks. Sorry, I'm just really anxious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 daithiruss

Hi, I spent a year in Australia back nearly eight years ago now, how would I go about getting a police cert from them?

daithiruss wrote: »
    Hi, I spent a year in Australia back nearly eight years ago now, how would I go about getting a police cert from them?

Details are here: http://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/police-checks/national-police-checks.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭darrenking

Hi just have a question about criminal record certs. Mine came back with driving with no seatbelt on it from last year would this make me inadmissible to canada?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Regarding payment- I don't have online banking, can I pay in the branch and send them a scanned receipt or something? Also, how long do we have to pay after they issue the email?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭armadillo86

Regarding payment- I don't have online banking, can I pay in the branch and send them a scanned receipt or something? Also, how long do we have to pay after they issue the email?

Do you not have a debit card? I'm assuming if other countries were allowed to use debit/credit cards this year then we will be too.

It's fine to pay in the branch. I actually can't find details of how long you have to pay though. Maybe someone else knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Marko10

Faith wrote: »
    It's fine to pay in the branch. I actually can't find details of how long you have to pay though. Maybe someone else knows?

Pretty sure it was 10 days for UK one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Regarding stage 1.

I know you have to upload your CV and passport. What other questions do they ask you at stage 1? What should i have ready or is it pure simple stuff that you would have off the top of your head?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Toronto

Regarding stage 1.

I know you have to upload your CV and passport. What other questions do they ask you at stage 1? What should i have ready or is it pure simple stuff that you would have off the top of your head?

It's a pretty straightforward application. Your name, contact details, dates of employment, etc. You should know everything off the top of your head, or your CV if you can't remember employment dates easily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1dGO5NuTp8

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Have they changed the time you have to activate the visa? I applied last year and have until May 27th to be in Canada, the 2 years starts from then? as in the visa lenght I can stay.

krudler wrote: »
    Have they changed the time you have to activate the visa? I applied last year and have until May 27th to be in Canada, the 2 years starts from then? as in the visa lenght I can stay.

"15. How long do I have to enter Canada once I get my visa approval?

You will be issued with a ‘Letter of Introduction’ which states how long you have to activate the visa. Previously it has been 1 year, but it may have increased to 2 years now."

"The Visa is valid for 2 years from the date of entry to Canada."

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭MaggieRow747

Hi probably a stupid question but i am just wondering how do you oay through online banking? Ive never had to do that and am kinda confused. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

Hi probably a stupid question but i am just wondering how do you oay through online banking? Ive never had to do that and am kinda confused. :-)

When you reach the stage where they ask for money, they will provide you with bank details. You then just need to 'transfer money to another ROI account' within your banks Internet Banking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭Woofstuff

My Passport expires January 2016.

Can I apply using my current passport, and then renew passport before stage 2?

Or am I doomed at this stage for visa to only be eligible until January 2016?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

Woofstuff wrote: »
    My Passport expires January 2016.

Can I apply using my current passport, and then renew passport before stage 2?

Or am I doomed at this stage for visa to only be eligible until January 2016?

You can get your Letter of Introduction (after completing stage 2) on your current passport, then apply for a new passport. When you arrive in Canada just make sure you have both your old passport and new passport and it shouldn't be an issue.

My OH got a new passport between applying for Stage 1 and Stage 2. Wasn't an issue but had to update information on the Kompass website.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

Phoenix wrote: »
    If your passport is currently expired can you still apply for stage 1 and get it renewed before stage 2?

Nope need to have a valid passport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Does it matter what file size your scan of your passport is? Mine is 667kb. Is that a fairly normal size?

Does it matter what file size your scan of your passport is? Mine is 667kb. Is that a fairly normal size?

As far as I know, the only specification for Stage 1 is that it's clear and legible. It can even be a photo instead of a scan.

My scan is about the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 myfriendtom

anyon have any experience of getting police clearence from the UK? I spent one academic year (Sept-May) in the UK, but was home every month or two for a few days. It says you must get police clearence from any country that you've lived in for over 6 months.
    Does this count as living there?
    The UK police clearence cert looks to be pretty expensive..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭bopper

anyon have any experience of getting police clearence from the UK? I spent one academic year (Sept-May) in the UK, but was home every month or two for a few days. It says you must get police clearence from any country that you've lived in for over 6 months.
    Does this count as living there?
    The UK police clearence cert looks to be pretty expensive..

If you had a residential address in the UK for more than 6 months then I would get a cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 lazurus

Hi

I lived in Australia for 6-7 months in 2006.

Most of the time was spent in Hostels, had a fixed address for 2 months,

Would i require a police cert from Australia?

Thanks for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

lazurus wrote: »
    Hi

I lived in Australia for 6-7 months in 2006.

Most of the time was spent in Hostels, had a fixed address for 2 months,

Would i require a police cert from Australia?

Thanks for any help.

you do indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭MaggieRow747

Hey does anyone no where would be the best place to get the picture that they require?.. Ive heard there very strict on the size and pixels which is annoying!!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭parabol

I have a flexi flight booked for April 14th. Now I know I will not have my Visa processed by then, and I do have the option to change it. My question is, can I travel to Canada on the 14th on a holiday Visa. Then once the Visa has been fully processed, I can travel to say Buffalo(In the US) and when re-entering Canada my working-holiday Visa will be activated. Is this possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭parabol

Hey does anyone no where would be the best place to get the picture that they require?.. Ive heard there very strict on the size and pixels which is annoying!!
    I went to the camera exchange on George's street yesterday to get mine done. €12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ravingitup

I would say this question has been asked already, however, I haven't come across it.

Does the two year visa run from the day you get it (i.e. the day you can legally travel to Canada) or does the clock only start running once you use it to enter Canada? I was planning on getting the visa, but mighn't be going until mid-way through the year, only I don't want a quarter of my visa time to be used up before I ever get there.

Advertisement