Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Super Garden 2019 & 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I dont think I've seen her do any proper work yet, lots of pieces to camera with others doing the work in the background

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Tara is utterly useless and helpless. Standing around waiting for others to do her work for her.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Glad I'm not the only one who thought she seemed to be wandering around while everyone else did all the work!

Disappointed that she didn't use the pleached trees, instead a bald birch which hid nothing.
    I was interested to see the effect, because I'm looking for a 'privacy' tree. :pac:

Last week's contestant still in the lead for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Ah..like don't be like so hard like on poor like Tara like....she,s like under like a lot of like pressure. .like.....Jesus i hate the way like people like speak these days..like....

Crap episode...I wish they,d give an hour to Home Rescue...love that programme but way too short...

I didnt think a whole lot of her garden either. I mean it looked nice and everything but it seemed to me she was making a garden the way she would like one herself.

All those edible plants, unless you're some sort of Michelin starred chef who would ever use 20 different types of salad leaves or all the herbs. A few herbs and salad plants is grand if thats your main diet but not of any practicable use to a family with kids who typically hate greens. Those plants will get out of control in no time and then you've the hassle of constantly chopping them back and keeping them tidy, its a lot of work for little reward IMO.

• Advertisement

Posy wrote: »

Last week's contestant still in the lead for me!

yeah I think Dermot from last week is the man to beat, he really delivered a great garden and his finishes looked top class. He ran the project like clockwork too, even with the first week lost to fixing the drainage problems he still got it done on time. Whereas Tara tonight barely did any work for the first week because she was off working in AIB. Bit daft that entering a competition and thinking you could win it without putting in the same amount of work as the other contestants.

Im interested to see how your man Fran gets on, he looks like an old school gardener but part of me wonders will he be down in the potting shed smoking some wacky backy

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭jonevin

Muahahaha wrote: »
    yeah I think Dermot from last week is the man to beat, he really delivered a great garden and his finishes looked top class. He ran the project like clockwork too, even with the first week lost to fixing the drainage problems he still got it done on time. Whereas Tara tonight barely did any work for the first week because she was off working in AIB. Bit daft that entering a competition and thinking you could win it without putting in the same amount of work as the other contestants.

Im interested to see how your man Fran gets on, he looks like an old school gardener but part of me wonders will he be down in the potting shed smoking some wacky backy

Dermot doesn’t win

Ah..like don't be like so hard like on poor like Tara like....she,s like under like a lot of like pressure. .like.....Jesus i hate the way like people like speak these days..like....

Crap episode...I wish they,d give an hour to Home Rescue...love that programme but way too short...

I think she saw it as an opportunity to make it all about her. She was painfully annoying in that way people are when they are trying too hard to be alternative. Crap episode that was more reality TV than gardening show.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

i think the idea that your result is based on how many friends you have who can help is unfair and stupid. Taras dad is in construction and her husband went to horticultural college with her - not everyone would have access to those resources - not a level playing field

jonevin wrote: »
    Dermot doesn’t win

I can understand that..he has'nt got the "look" they'd like...I'd quess Tara even though her garden was'nt even finished or the other girl....

Wonder how they pick the contestants....:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭pjmn

Best delegator I've ever seen - didn't do a tap of work herself, but did manage to get everyone else to do it for her!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

pjmn wrote: »
    Best delegator I've ever seen - didn't do a tap of work herself, but did manage to get everyone else to do it for her!

Ugggg these new age gardener's make me sick, coming from generations of gardener's I can spot a charoltan easily enough.

They're just not gardener's full stop, absolute idiot's.
    Planting schemes are horrendous.
    No hands on experience, like a lot of the fluff gardener's these day's.

Planting pure rubbish, mostly generic hybrid's and unnatural plant's with flamboyant expectations..

The amount of us real gardener's who have to fix
    a lot of gardenn designer's work is a joke.

They hate seeing me coming, because I just see the bull**** that's trying to sell to people.

Kid's graduating from the Bots and other horticultural college's want to be superstars nowadays.
    Back in my day we just wanted a job afterwards and it was like a vocation...

Planting Hostas in direct sunlight, or the fillers just filling the gap's like...
    Fck it's Saturday morning I don't need to be ranting again lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I think she made her self look very bad in this episode. did very little work, very disorganised and the scene where she was caught on camera while putting in the wire or pipe into the shed

dermot from last week was the winner from this week.

her garden was grand but nothing special. I hope the family is into gardening in a big way. there is a lot of work to keep that right. that hydroponics set up will be a disaster.

I don't mind if dermot doesn't win because it will take a pretty special garden to beat him.

nthclare wrote: »
    Ugggg these new age gardener's make me sick, coming from generations of gardener's I can spot a charoltan easily enough.

They're just not gardener's full stop, absolute idiot's.
    Planting schemes are horrendous.
    No hands on experience, like a lot of the fluff gardener's these day's.

Planting pure rubbish, mostly generic hybrid's and unnatural plant's with flamboyant expectations..

The amount of us real gardener's who have to fix
    a lot of gardenn designer's work is a joke.

They hate seeing me coming, because I just see the bull**** that's trying to sell to people.

Kid's graduating from the Bots and other horticultural college's want to be superstars nowadays.
    Back in my day we just wanted a job afterwards and it was like a vocation...

Planting Hostas in direct sunlight, or the fillers just filling the gap's like...

Bit harsh, but that garden was patently not suited to the needs of the family, and I can only imagine it will be a mess without proper maintenance.

One of the first scenes was of the kids playing football in the old garden yet there was barely a lawn in the finally design. These new garden designers are like interior designers of the outside rather than gardeners, and their designs are overwrought and often vanity projects.

She definitely saw herself as more of an artist than a gardener. I think when she mentioned that her husband was a mushroom farmer from Cavan three times in the first few minutes I had her pegged as someone who was in love with the idea of an alternative lifestyle rather than being authentically different like your man Fran or Dermot, who come across as garden lovers while also being a bit cracked but in a genuine way.

nthclare wrote: »

It’s still Friday. Woohoo!

:D

It’s still Friday. Woohoo!

:D

Phew...thought I'd missed Corrie.....:D

I think she made her self look very bad in this episode. did very little work, very disorganised and the scene where she was caught on camera while putting in the wire or pipe into the shed

Yeah she was all over the place and it seemed to be all about her. She got slagged a fair bit on Twitter over it, nothing nasty, just people pointing out her lack of work and disappearing to work for AIB. Im not sure why Gary Graham allowed that to happen, its a competition to appear at Bloom so either you're all in or dont bother. Im sure there were other applicants just as worthy who could have showed up for the three weeks.
    her garden was grand but nothing special. I hope the family is into gardening in a big way. there is a lot of work to keep that right. that hydroponics set up will be a disaster.

When I saw the hydroponics and aquaponics I was just :rolleyes: The vertical salad and herb walls look great when planted and thats the kind of state you see vertical gardens in pictures on Instagram or Pinterest. But give that vertical garden a couple of weeks water and sunshine and it'll be a mess of leaves. And then you're supposed to eat them all, I think its a couple of rabbits they'll be needing for that job.

In a way Ive sympathy with the family because there was nothing to indicate that they were these mad keen gardeners who would be out trimming and thinning leaves several hours a week. Its a lot of work to look after a garden like that and now they're stuck with it and the kids have nowhere to kick a football. I think Gary Graham should have had a closer eye on things to make sure the families end up with something that actually suits their lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭greenexile

Anyone watching this week? The designer is at least considering his client and brief this time, but a lot of angles going on.

tis grand. nothing amazing

did monica just say that she was wrong twice in one show

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

greenexile wrote: »
    Anyone watching this week? The designer is at least considering his client and brief this time, but a lot of angles going on.

And his workmanship in laying the paving etc was excellent IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

The black water was a fantastic effect.
    I wonder will the astroturf lawn will be wrecked with Shelly's wheelchair- the marks of the wheels were already very visible.

Very professional looking finished product overall in my opinion.

i would rather have some higher beds so that she could interact in some way with the flowers. all she can do now is look at them .

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭greenexile

i would rather have some higher beds so that she could interact in some way with the flowers. all she can do now is look at them .

Yeah one of the judges did mention that I think, fair point really. The water dye is a great idea, looks really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

pond colour astroturf ffs

pond dye not a good idea stops anything growing in the water, what happens when you empty -pollutes water courses

astroturf even if its recycled plastic its still plastic !

pond colour astroturf ffs

pond dye not a good idea stops anything growing in the water, what happens when you empty -pollutes water courses

astroturf even if its recycled plastic its still plastic !

I thought it looked really well, and the astroturf was a response to the client's needs rather than some vanity project we've seen from other contestants.

Overall, I thought the client and professional came across very well and he responded to her needs in terms of access, but the lack of a few raised beds was a miss.

His diagonal paving and the thresholds between spaces looked class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

The only problem that I had with his planting was that the Helleborus and Grape Hyacinth will already be dying. I have lots of Helleborus in my garden. They seed everywhere and can take over a bed.
    None of the judges commented on the Astroturf and the fact a wheelchair would be constantly moving over it. I immediately thought that this was really an advert for suppliers of the product.

The only problem that I had with his planting was that the Helleborus and Grape Hyacinth will already be dying. I have lots of Helleborus in my garden. They seed everywhere and can take over a bed.
    None of the judges commented on the Astroturf and the fact a wheelchair would be constantly moving over it. I immediately thought that this was really an advert for suppliers of the product.

Just like the judges commenting on the lovely paving that just happens to come from the shows sponser

Just like the judges commenting on the lovely paving that just happens to come from the shows sponser

All the paving comes from Kilsaran for sure, but they've been critical of some of the other paving jobs so I'm not sure I'd agree with that. I think he just did a good job on paving and he seemed to be more of a hard landscaper than a gardener.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    And his workmanship in laying the paving etc was excellent IMO.

yeah I thought the paving really was a top class job, he had great attention to detail which is the difference between something amazing and something average

Thought his plants were great too but as the judges said a lot of them were low down. The garden was an awkward rectangle shape but his design made the very most of the space. Overall a great effort and Id say he is a contender.

Fran is up next week, from the clip shown his creation is a bit off the wall but it could be a masterpiece. The seating area he creates looks excellent. Im looking forward to it already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Binged the first three episodes last night.
    Week 1: Nice, wouldn't be my style and don't think it's a Bloom garden either... the led lights, just no. But overall, a great outcome for them.
    Week 2: Car crash. They must have been stuck for contestants or wanted someone with a different "angle".
    Week 3: Would be my front runner, put client first and still did his thing. Great outcome.

Advertisement