Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Paying half up front ...

Options
  • 03-06-2020 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

I have asked a carpenter to do a job for me .

Priced without see it , only photograph, at 1300.

Seems ok. Has good reviews on Facebook .. well they are all over a year ago .. all positive.

I’m taken aback after saying that the price is ok.

I get this message:

Paste :

That’s why I only ask for half, it ensures I don’t get time wasters, it ensures that the customer has some control over job being done to a high quality and it covers the price of materials that we have to purchase and are not refundable for us

What do people think ?
    I never pay for anything in advance , sounds a bit dodgy to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

So you never met this genius and he has good reviews on FB and he wants 650 lids up front.
    :)

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Nothing wrong with asking for a deposit.

If the carpenter goes out and buys all the materials for a job out of his pocket, and then the customer cancels for whatever reason, they've taken a loss of the cost of materials, storage, maybe restocking fees (depending on what they got, where they got it, etc). Not to mention, wasted time actually sourcing/pricing materials and preparing any plans/drawings, etc.

A deposit guarantees that any losses will be minimal (hopefully), if the customer gets cold feet. Also helps stop people from cheating them out of payment.

I've done jobs where I didn't take anything up front and I was chasing payment for months. The hassle and stress alone isn't worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

To be fair to the guy he has probably had some people in the past who would offer to pay when it's done and then never turn up.

Many builders/plumbers etc will ask for some payment in advance or a schedule of payments to ensure they are not stuck with the bill overall.

If you are asking an artist to produce a painting ... And at the end you decide you don't like it... Do you tell the artist you are not paying ... It's only fair that the person receives some payment to cover cost of materials and some labour costs, so they are not out of pocket.

If you book a wedding photographer you don't pay after you get your prints/album ... Some jobs require part payment before the job is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

It's extremely dodgy. Half up front to stop time wasters? That's bullsh!t. There's no way he needs that much upfront. Just move on and find someone else to do the job. I'd take Facebook reviews with a pinch of salt also as he could easily just ask his friends and family to go and leave reviews for him to make him look good.

Steer clear of bandits like him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

shocksy wrote: »
    It's extremely dodgy. Half up front to stop time wasters. Bullsh!t. Just move on and find someone else to do the job. I'd take Facebook reviews with a pinch of salt also as he could easily just ask his friends and family to go and leave reviews for him to make him look good.

Would a hotel let pay after you've stayed? No.

Would the barman let you pay after sinking 7 pints? No.

Would a clothes shop let you pay after you've worn a new pair of shoes out doors? No.

Why should tradesman be any different?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

shocksy wrote: »
    It's extremely dodgy. Half up front to stop time wasters? That's bullsh!t. There's no way he needs that much upfront. Just move on and find someone else to do the job. I'd take Facebook reviews with a pinch of salt also as he could easily just ask his friends and family to go and leave reviews for him to make him look good.

He's a bandit because he asked for a deposit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

I have asked a carpenter to do a job for me .

Priced without see it , only photograph, at 1300.

Seems ok. Has good reviews on Facebook .. well they are all over a year ago .. all positive.

I’m taken aback after saying that the price is ok.

I get this message:

Paste :

That’s why I only ask for half, it ensures I don’t get time wasters, it ensures that the customer has some control over job being done to a high quality and it covers the price of materials that we have to purchase and are not refundable for us

What do people think ?
    I never pay for anything in advance , sounds a bit dodgy to me.

How much are the materials?

Lundstram wrote: »

Would a clothes shop let you pay after you've worn a new pair of shoes out doors? No.

while I get the sentiment, the //'s are crap
    1: you have an enforceable contract
    2 the service is delivered there and then, or al least used to be:D.
    3: You see the shoes so end of, if they turn out to be crap then you have an enforceable contact/consumer rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

It's the wording of the response and the pricing without looking at the location that would put me off.

I'd ask some neighbours or in a local hardware store for a recommendation

Even a local Facebook page may elicit responses or even on the regional threads here.

But the wording of the response is too slick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭rje66

Pay him half when he arrives ready for work with materials. I would only ever ask for a deposit after I've started a job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

while I get the sentiment, the //'s are crap
    1: you have an enforceable contract
    2 the service is delivered there and then, or al least used to be:D.
    3: You see the shoes so end of, if they turn out to be crap then you have an enforceable contact/consumer rights.
    Funny that because I hear about people having to jump through hoops and wait months for refunds from Ryanair and other associated business.

A carpenter can't return his materials if the OP changes their mind. No enforceable contract for him to fall back on. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Paddy, get him to come look at the job, and you might get a notion of what kind of person he is, don't pay much heed to facebook, have you learned anything from your experience with the carpenter who did your lean-to roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Have a guy doing our attic, he did a friends one and it was very good.

Had no issue giving him a booking deposit and paying half before he starts for materials and the rest when complete.

He apologized profusely about the booking deposits but he hadn't been working for several moths due to covid and needs the cash-flow to buy materials that he would normally be able to cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jack of all

A number of years ago I got a contractor to price some ground and concrete works for me. He visited the job, was given a detailed drawing and spec outlining what I wanted etc. We agreed price and terms of payment, by installment, start date etc, all good. He turned up with a small crew to do the work and later on that first day of work he rang to ask me could I give him a substantial payment at the end of the day. I was surprised and got a bad feeling about it. I told him I'd only be prepared to pay for work done the value of any materials on site. No money changed hands that day, but the following day he turned up with a lot of the materials needed for the overall job- timber, cement, agreggates, floor insulation and steel- all of which were unloaded and they got to work. After that I was happy to give him a draft for an amount to the value of what was completed and those materials and nothing more. We had no more problems thereafter and I was happy with the completed job 2 weeks later.

Never pay upfront for work not yet done, pay only for work done (to your satisfaction) and to the value of materials on the site. Reputable contractors and tradesmen have trade credit accounts with their suppliers to facilitate the nature of their business. There are some exceptions- bespoke/ one-off and made to measure work (including joinery, windows, built-in cabinetry etc) may be useless on another job so it may not be unreasonable for a contractor to look for a desposit for such items.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

thks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

For new customers, I ask for 10% up front, 2 payments of 40 and 45% at intervals I specify during the job and remaining 5% upon satisfactory completion. I also insist on a job completion form to be signed. There isn't a hope in hell, I would work for anyone I didn't know, without a deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

a deposit isn't just for buying materials is to book the slot in your schedule. far too many customers think its ok to book someone in then cancel the night before. its there to cover your costs when this happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I know tradesmen that have gotten screwed for thousands by some homeowners so they look for something upfront. There is risk on both sides on some jobs. Not unusual for him to look for something upfront but I'd still be wary. Can you pay the half upfront by credit card or PayPal? At least you have some control with these. I wouldn't pay cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I know tradesmen that have gotten screwed for thousands by some homeowners so they look for something upfront. There is risk on both sides on some jobs. Not unusual for him to look for something upfront but I'd still be wary. Can you pay the half upfront by credit card or PayPal? At least you have some control with these. I wouldn't pay cash.

i wouldnt accept money from a customer through pay pal. i would be left wide open to them steeling it from me.

i wouldnt accept money from a customer through pay pal. i would be left wide open to them steeling it from me.

Paypal sucks

• Advertisement

I wouldn't pay the 3 percent fee to PayPal myself tbh but then again I never ask for anything upfront. Payment in full on completion of the job is how I always operate. I've gotten rid of the card machine too as it was costing 60 to 70 euros per month for the privilege of ta card payments. We now only take cash, cheque, Revolut or bank transfer. Revolut is very popular nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

My Kitchen installer wanted 50% during a site survey I told him to get the boat.. I always pay when the job is finished or if I know who they or have done my research and happy I pay a deposit but never 50% before any work starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Thanks all. yup also that he gave a quote by photo , put me off also. Didn't use him, Though I can see why a deposit would be required in fairness.

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Lundstram wrote: »

Most bars in Germany do exactly that. They mark your drinks on your beer mat and you pay when you’re heading. Like the way every restaurant works. Even bars here, you get the drink in your hand before paying. Same with a hotel or a clothes shop. You can see that they have the goods or service before you pay for it. They’re not good examples.

I had a plumber out to fit a shower years ago. He asked for €120 up front for materials. We’re a small town, I knew where he lived, and he seemed ok, so I gave it to him. He dropped over one day with a length of flexible pipe, and said he’d be back in 2 days with the rest of the stuff and to do the job.

I never saw him again. Every time I called him, he was in the pub. Called out to his house. His patents answered, and apologised profusely that he had “done it again”, and that they’d talk to him. But nothing came of it. In the end, I just had to give up, it was taking up to much time and mental energy. When I finally got a proper plumber out to do the job, I gave him the pipe and he said it was the wrong type and only cost about €20 of the €120. The pipe is still up in the attic 10 years later.

So I’ve never paid up front for a job again, and never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I wouldn't pay the 3 percent fee to PayPal myself tbh but then again I never ask for anything upfront. Payment in full on completion of the job is how I always operate. I've gotten rid of the card machine too as it was costing 60 to 70 euros per month for the privilege of ta card payments. We now only take cash, cheque, Revolut or bank transfer. Revolut is very popular nowadays

Cheques dead and cash well yes I suppose but becoming increasingly hassle.

Traditional merchant providers are crazy money. Perhaps consider squareup or similar. Percentage transaction fee could pass to customer for ease of card payment for them.

Most bars in Germany do exactly that. They mark your drinks on your beer mat and you pay when you’re heading. Like the way every restaurant works. Even bars here, you get the drink in your hand before paying. Same with a hotel or a clothes shop. You can see that they have the goods or service before you pay for it. They’re not good examples.

I had a plumber out to fit a shower years ago. He asked for €120 up front for materials. We’re a small town, I knew where he lived, and he seemed ok, so I gave it to him. He dropped over one day with a length of flexible pipe, and said he’d be back in 2 days with the rest of the stuff and to do the job.

I never saw him again. Every time I called him, he was in the pub. Called out to his house. His patents answered, and apologised profusely that he had “done it again”, and that they’d talk to him. But nothing came of it. In the end, I just had to give up, it was taking up to much time and mental energy. When I finally got a proper plumber out to do the job, I gave him the pipe and he said it was the wrong type and only cost about €20 of the €120. The pipe is still up in the attic 10 years later.

So I’ve never paid up front for a job again, and never will.

No offense but that guy sounds like a handy man not a real plumber. Distinct difference which is possibly why you said real plumber.

Small town. You should have known he had a reputation

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

listermint wrote: »
    No offense but that guy sounds like a handy man not a real plumber. Distinct difference which is possibly why you said real plumber.

Small town. You should have known he had a reputation

No offence taken. I was new to the town at the time, so he was as reputable as anyone else could be to me. He was a plumber in the sense that he advertised himself as a plumber in all the places that plumbers advertise. I was certainly looking to hire a plumber and not a handyman. The “real plumber” was one in that he actually did the job, who was actually a part time plumber. But he is a neighbour. As to what the first guy sounds like, well you can only tell that after hearing my story, which I obviously did not have the advantage of doing before it happened.

listermint wrote:
    Traditional merchant providers are crazy money. Perhaps consider squareup or similar. Percentage transaction fee could pass to customer for ease of card payment for them.

Cash, cheques & revolut cost me nothing. Bank transfers cost pennies. Card payments cost more than my van insurance each year. I'm done with cards. They are old tech anyway. I have more people asking to pay via revolut than cards now. Its free & instant

Cash, cheques & revolut cost me nothing. Bank transfers cost pennies. Card payments cost more than my van insurance each year. I'm done with cards. They are old tech anyway. I have more people asking to pay via revolut than cards now. Its free & instant

I'm aware it's free and instant I've had it since the issued their first cards.

Also not really clear what their brexit strategy is either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Out of interest Paddy, was it a built in unit? I got one end of last year and the price and paying half upfront was the same.

One crowd from Facebook quoted me and when I asked a question never bothered coming back to me. Came back this year when his work dried up, sod that.

Advertisement