Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vodafone X - €20 Prepay Offers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Live chat are saying it's 10Mbps.
    I'm currently getting 80Mbps ish so that's a bit of a drop off, although in theory it should still be enough to stream Spotify, Netflix etc.
    Will see how that holds up, around me is a ghost town in work so not much contention to worry about while everyone is at home.
    As long as I can listen to Spotify and drown out people on the Luas I'll be happy enough.

It'll be obviously pretty poor,as 10 MB is maximum, I've never achieved that with any provider.( The maximum)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

It'll be obviously pretty poor,as 10 MB is maximum, I've never achieved that with any provider.( The maximum)
    80Mbps is around 10MB/s ish isn't it? Which is what I'm getting at the moment. I've another month of that anyway before they change me over.

Fella on live chat was actually sound enough, not your usual Indian robot.
    Seemingly it's to stop people using it as their primary connection for home, must have had a good few people using it as their main hotspot or something.
    Netflix recommend a 5Mbps connection for HD content and Spotify is .36Mbps. Next month will tell, I suppose.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Bob24 wrote: »
    Exactly, sustainable 80Mbps isn't achievable in many areas anyway; and when it is achievable it is a sign that the network is seeing very little use in that area hence no point applying a limit to preserve network capacity.

I have almost no doubt it is 10Mbps.

But nowhere does it say you will get consistent 10Mb/s!

This is a cap on the maximum speed you can get. That is quiet different.

Given the nature of mobile tech, there is no way they can guarantee any speed consistently. You might just get 1Mb/s or even worse, depending on various factors.

I don't get this from Vodafone at all, I don't know why anyone would want to go with Vodafone, pay almost twice as much and get hobbled like this!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭theintern

Disappointing change.

I'd much prefer something like "10Mbps unlimited after 30GB of full speed". That would achieve the same goal. Even lower that and give 15 or 20 gigs at full speed.

A friend and I did a speedtest on GoMo and Vodafone and he was getting better speeds than me (55 vs 45 down). The only thing that's keeping me on Vodafone is it's generally more reliable in the sticks I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

bk wrote: »

Given the nature of mobile tech, there is no way they can guarantee any speed consistently. You might just get 1Mb/s or even worse, depending on various factors.

I don't get this from Vodafone at all, I don't know why anyone would want to go with Vodafone, pay almost twice as much and get hobbled like this!

For sure, no network would make such commitment.

But having that cap on their cheaper and unlimited offers does protect overall network performance.

In practice, I think this offer still is good for someone who doesn't care about peak performance and is more concerned about reliability in all circumpstances (even with this cap, a Vodafone subscription will most likely deliver better quality of service in high network strain situations such as the exemple if Dublin city centre at rush hours I was giving in my previous posts).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

I just renewed my Vodafone X today as it happens.
    So the acknowledgment text i got was the usual 30G, unlimited weekends etc. No mention of 10mbps. Then I got an alert that from June 6th my Offer will change to unlimited at 10mbps etc. I will get one more renewal at the old deal I guess on June 3rd.

CONTRACT CHANGE: From 6th June 2020, your Vodafone X Weekend top up offer will change to “Vodafone X”. Vodafone X provides you with unlimited data, at a max speed of 10Mbps, unlimited texts and 100 any network minutes with unlimited weekend calls for 28 days, every time you top up by €20 or more in one go. Unlimited weekend calls from 3pm Fridays until 11.59pm Sundays. This change will take effect from your next top up by €20 or more in one go after 6th June. You may withdraw from your prepay contract without penalty at any time. For more information visit https://n.vodafone.ie/aboutus/customer-notifications.html. For Vodafone X terms see https://n.vodafone.ie/terms/pay-as-you-go.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

bk wrote: »

The limit is being imposed to ensure they can deliver a reliable service. This is a positive move IMHO and fine with me - my connection here right now where I am is generally under 3Mbps, but I never notice because I can watch YouTube and carry on doing other things without interruption.

Look at the mess Three is in with All you can eat data - for me that was "Free soup - Here's your fork". :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭donnyvegas

It might be worth switching to their non-student offers - which have increased their GB allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭CoBo55

The limit is being imposed to ensure they can deliver a reliable service. This is a positive move IMHO and fine with me - my connection here right now where I am is generally under 3Mbps, but I never notice because I can watch YouTube and carry on doing other things without interruption.

Look at the mess Three is in with All you can eat data - for me that was "Free soup - Here's your fork". :pac:

Ha ha brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

The attached is what I currently get at home, as long as I can still stream it won't bother me too much

• Advertisement

Tazzimus wrote: »
    80Mbps is around 10MB/s ish isn't it? Which is what I'm getting at the moment. I've another month of that anyway before they change me over.

Fella on live chat was actually sound enough, not your usual Indian robot.
    Seemingly it's to stop people using it as their primary connection for home, must have had a good few people using it as their main hotspot or something.
    Netflix recommend a 5Mbps connection for HD content and Spotify is .36Mbps. Next month will tell, I suppose.

Always a few feck it up

pm. wrote: »
    The attached is what I currently get at home, as long as I can still stream it won't bother me too much

Get that from data use?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,616 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

BArra wrote: »
    also on the 'old' vodafone x weekend and got the text to say from 6th june its changing to the 10Mbps with the same unlimited texts and 100 network minutes but now with unlimited minutes rather than data at the weekend

will probably jump ship - dont fancy gomo - what other options is there out there?
    Same predicament

30 day contracts:

48 €9.99 a month 20GB Data, 300 call mins and unlimited texts
    Three €15 a month for 6 months on Bill pay All Data (60GB), calls and texts.
    Virgin €15 a month for 12 months All Data (unlimited), calls and texts
    Eir €15 a month All Data (80GB), calls and texts for 6 months & Eir sport :D.
    (if you have Eir Broadband, Mobile is €9.99 a month for 12 months).
    Tesco €20 a month All Data (60GB), calls and texts & 300 international minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

Eir text me yesterday. Unlimited Calls or Texts with no limits data for €10 if I go back with no expiry on the offer. Good timing

okidoki987 wrote: »
    30 day contracts:

48 €9.99 a month 20GB Data, 300 call mins and unlimited texts
    Three €15 a month for 6 months on Bill pay All Data (60GB), calls and texts.
    Virgin €15 a month for 12 months All Data (unlimited), calls and texts
    Eir €15 a month All Data (80GB), calls and texts for 6 months & Eir sport :D.
    (if you have Eir Broadband, Mobile is €9.99 a month for 12 months).
    Tesco €20 a month All Data (60GB), calls and texts & 300 international minutes

Virgin do PAYG?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Darksoul

Cjs21 wrote: »
    Eir text me yesterday. Unlimited Calls or Texts with no limits data for €10 if I go back with no expiry on the offer. Good timing
    I got the same as you,i might jump back to them if a good phone was on offer again,that's the only reason I joined Vodafone in first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Jesus that's fast. Are you next to the mast?
    Yeh 10mbps up and down would be considered high speed broadband. It wouldn't be any good for a family or for streaming 4k but that's cool.
    Why bother with fixed landline or broadband when you can have it all for 20-30 per month. I suppose they have spent billion and billions of euro on gig fibre broadband but you'd have to wonder. Most people are running a house not a google data centre!
    5g is a load of nonsense. Max range is less than a mile so they are going to need to spend a fortune on infrastructure with no real damand ,need or reason.

Get that from data use?

Yeah just using vf network, I'm not sure where the mast is I live about 1km from Mullingar Town center

Virgin do PAYG?

No it's just Sim only 30 day contract.
    https://www.virginmedia.ie/mobile/sim-only/

I was with them for 6 months with no problems apart from they can't get the banks sms verification texts so have to move.
    They have now made the data totally unlimited with no cap.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 461 ✭✭TetraSonic55

Sure do.

I was with them for 6 months with no problems apart from they can't get the banks sms verification texts so have to move.

That's not PAYG. That's a sim only 30 day contract plan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Darksoul wrote: »
    I got the same as you,i might jump back to them if a good phone was on offer again,that's the only reason I joined Vodafone in first place.

Why not just buy SIM-free then you aren't locked into any long contracts?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Yeah just using vf network, I'm not sure where the mast is I live about 1km from Mullingar Town center

You must be close . You can download a gig in 90 seconds or less.

Sure do.

Thank you,do rate them? Are average speeds ok?
    VF is good ATM

lomb wrote: »

My VF speed this morning is 64 mb download - Carrigaline but with this new crap coming in that's going to be down to below 10 no option but to leave

Thought mine was good that's vv good ( mine usually up to 60 sometimes past mostly below)

That's not PAYG. That's a sim only 30 day contract plan

Very true.
    I'll change the other post.

Thank you,do rate them? Are average speeds ok?
    VF is good ATM

I corrected the other post, they don't do PAYG , it's a €15 30 day rolling contract.

Apart from the SMS text problem.
    Just checked D/L 49.1Mbps, U/L 8.6Mbps, not sure if that's good or bad but at €15 a month with the now totally unlimited Data, as well as calls and texts suits me.

lomb wrote: »

Possibly but my signal strength is only 2 bars, not sure if thay means anything but judging by the speeds probably not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Out of curiosity why are vf capping the speeds now.im on a plan called data user got it on boards.15gb data unlimited calls and texts 20€.I haven't got any text to say they are doing this to me but if they do I'll jump ship straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Speed capping will be here to stay, it's going to become the new way operators can split the market while still calling the plans unlimited.

Truly unrestricted bandwith and limit packages will be more expensive.

Advertisement