Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Gary Gurney

in a rare show of optimism I have put together a list of a few lads I have seen in club championship, this and previous years, who regardless of personal circumstances / availability should be worth a run of a few months in the panel, see can they make the step up.

They certainly may improve the standard of training within the squad;

Tried and trusted – Tom Devine, Barry Coughlan, Jake Dillon,

Worth a twist – Ryan Donnelly, Dessie Hutchinson, Darragh Lynch, Michael Harney, Ian Kenny, Richard Hurley, Jack Fagan, Michael Kiely, Tom Barron, Tom Moran, Conor Power, Ray Barry, Brian Lynch, Seamus Keating

anyone else?

All I'm seeing from the above mentioned players is how evident it is you are completely out of touch with the club game in Waterford.

Without knocking anyone there, couple players you mentioned aren't regular with their own clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

How is it that when a tipp man guides his county to minor & u21 all irelands he's deemed a good appointment for our counties senior set up. But when one of our own done it he's laughed off as being not experienced enough?

Not pro or anti anybody by the way just think its laughable the double standards.
    In fairness, I'd say people can split the two by being of the opinion that a fresh set of eyes would be useful in Waterford hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

SW1985 wrote: »

Sean had one crazy talented group that he was able to win with at minor then a few years later with the same group at u21. His results in between were unimpressive.

That's not quite fair. In 2017 the Waterford Under 21s were robbed by Waterford's favourite referee Fergal Horgan against Cork in Walsh Park and lost by a point.

Last year the Under 21s played really well against a star-studded Cork team and should have won with the chances they created. At the same time, their cause wasn't helped by some really poor sideline decisions in that game. At the time I suspected that Power wasn't able to stand up to other people with him on the sideline. If that was true, it would not augur well for his prospects as a manager of the senior county team.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

All I'm seeing from the above mentioned players is how evident it is you are completely out of touch with the club game in Waterford.

Without knocking anyone there, couple players you mentioned aren't regular with their own clubs.

TBH it was off the cuff more so then anything to try get a discussion going.... wasnt in the market for a slagging match today!

who from the above arent regulars with their club so oh wise sage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭maximo31

tonc76 wrote: »
    There was mention a few pages back that a sugar daddy has been found which I presume is why we are apparently able to go outside the county to attract a new manager. The county board are on their knees financially so there must be an injection of cash coming from somewhere?
    I believe that the Al Eile Stud are the financial backing behind this move. Nothing concrete so don't shoot the messenger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,770 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Liam Cahill has stepped down as Tipperary u20 boss 👀👀

Be some laugh if he came out and said he has no intention or any contact with Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

in a rare show of optimism I have put together a list of a few lads I have seen in club championship, this and previous years, who regardless of personal circumstances / availability should be worth a run of a few months in the panel, see can they make the step up.

Worth a twist – Ryan Donnelly, Dessie Hutchinson, Darragh Lynch, Michael Harney, Ian Kenny, Richard Hurley, Jack Fagan, Michael Kiely, Tom Barron, Tom Moran, Conor Power, Ray Barry, Brian Lynch, Seamus Keating

anyone else?

Agree with you that a lot of the above names should be looked at. Unfortunately Tom Devine is off to New Zealand next Thursday so that rules him out. I would add Kieran Power(Dungarvan), and Paudie Prendergast((Lismore) to the list. In my opinion there are 5 at least of those names that would strengthen the current panel.
    As for the cheap posts fired at you I believe that Giveitfong Mastermcgrath and yourself are always contributing ideas and while everyone may not agree with them,at least ye have the best of intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭whiteandblue

cul beag wrote: »
    Agree with you that a lot of the above names should be looked at. Unfortunately Tom Devine is off to New Zealand next Thursday so that rules him out. I would add Kieran Power(Dungarvan), and Paudie Prendergast((Lismore) to the list. In my opinion there are 5 at least of those names that would strengthen the current panel.
    As for the cheap posts fired at you I believe that Giveitfong Mastermcgrath and yourself are always contributing ideas and while everyone may not agree with them,at least ye have the best of intentions.

I'd add Wiily Hahessy, Brian O'Sullivan (Although he has apparently turned down approaches in the past), David Prendergast and Shane Ryan to the comprehensive list for a training panel. There can't be 50 on the panel but at least give lads a shot.

In terms of this weekend's club games, I think DLS should have too much for Mount Sion. Just much more balanced and seem to be in a good place under Phelan, think they could shade it by 5. Ballygunner are said to be without Coughlan and Barnes who are both major losses but I still think they will have too much for Dungarvan even in Fraher Field. Dungarvan put it up to them earlier in the year and Curran missed a penalty at a vital stage so this should rule out any complacency for the Gunners. I think they have the man markers in defense to nullify the Dungarvan attack but it still may be close, Id say Ballygunner by 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

I'd add Wiily Hahessy, Brian O'Sullivan (Although he has apparently turned down approaches in the past), David Prendergast and Shane Ryan to the comprehensive list for a training panel. There can't be 50 on the panel but at least give lads a shot.

In terms of this weekend's club games, I think DLS should have too much for Mount Sion. Just much more balanced and seem to be in a good place under Phelan, think they could shade it by 5. Ballygunner are said to be without Coughlan and Barnes who are both major losses but I still think they will have too much for Dungarvan even in Fraher Field. Dungarvan put it up to them earlier in the year and Curran missed a penalty at a vital stage so this should rule out any complacency for the Gunners. I think they have the man markers in defense to nullify the Dungarvan attack but it still may be close, Id say Ballygunner by 3.

Is Brian o Sullivan even playing club hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Parishman

With regard to list of players posted most I would agree with let me throw few more into the mix!

Neil Montgomery, Conor Ryan, DLS Goalkeeper (name slips my mind) & Colm Roche, problem is they do not get enough club games in a crazy fixture list to stand out. Now we are going to appoint a new Manager who may well be from outside the county and he will not have seen any of them play apart from 4 semi finalists. There are a nice few uncut gems out there at intermediate level that will not be seen either.

We also need to keep an eye on colleges as lads develop here when be exposed to the better hurlers in Fitzgibbon and Freshers games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,770 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Any idea of the league fixtures for 2020

We had 3 'home' games this year (Offaly game in Thurles was counted as a home game) , so prob have 2 home and 3 away in 2020

In a group with Galway, Tipp, Cork, Limerick and Westmeath

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Players I would like to see being looked at:

Abbeyside: Darragh McGrath, Neil Montgomery, Michael Kiely
    Dungarvan: John Curran, Kieran Power
    Ballygunner: Dessie Hutchinson
    De La Salle: Jack Fagan
    Ardmore: John Gartland, David Gartland, Seamus Keating
    Shamrocks: Shane Roche, John Paul Lucey
    Lismore: David Prendergast, Paudie Prendergast

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Obi1mikal

Parishman wrote: »
    With regard to list of players posted most I would agree with let me throw few more into the mix!

Neil Montgomery, Conor Ryan, DLS Goalkeeper (name slips my mind) & Colm Roche, problem is they do not get enough club games in a crazy fixture list to stand out. Now we are going to appoint a new Manager who may well be from outside the county and he will not have seen any of them play apart from 4 semi finalists. There are a nice few uncut gems out there at intermediate level that will not be seen either.

We also need to keep an eye on colleges as lads develop here when be exposed to the better hurlers in Fitzgibbon and Freshers games

Shaun O'Brien is the DLS goalie a real top class goalie, Gavin O'Brien of Roanmore could be worth another look never leaves roanmore down when he plays, Mikey Daykin in Mount Sionlooks like a good young defender this year and Niall Dunphy from Newtown/Ballydurn is a really slick forward, seems to get a good few scores from play ever game he plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

anyone else?

Michael harney bunmahon?

Michael harney bunmahon?

yep - know his club didnt field in hurling this year, and he has had a cruciate ligament injury.... but maybe he might be worth giving a chance to.

Isnt it some indictment of the board that like of him, the lad lucey from shamrocks all these lads with obvious talent cant assist / play as part of a group side at a higher standard in senior?

Harney was a fair detail on those u21 / minor teams and even with IT carlow, has had his own injury issues as well as challenges in numbers with the club, but only so much developing he can do himself! needs support to in his own county!

Didnt derek kind of bring a senior B team there in earlier years? to help lads make step up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Michael harney bunmahon?

yep - know his club didnt field in hurling this year, and he has had a cruciate ligament injury.... but maybe he might be worth giving a chance to.

Isnt it some indictment of the board that like of him, the lad lucey from shamrocks all these lads with obvious talent cant assist / play as part of a group side at a higher standard in senior?

Harney was a fair detail on those u21 / minor teams and even with IT carlow, has had his own injury issues as well as challenges in numbers with the club, but only so much developing he can do himself! needs support to in his own county!

Didnt derek kind of bring a senior B team there in earlier years? to help lads make step up?

Bunmahon fielded for about four games in the hurling this year which they all lost and then started giving walkovers.

Have to agree with you on the group teams. Divide the county up in 4 and put the 4 GPO's in charge of organising each area/group team for both hurling and football. When it was tried before it was done very amateurishly, but if done properly it would be of great benefit to players from weaker clubs and also to county teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

debok wrote: »
    Is Brian o Sullivan even playing club hurling

No. But apparently you can’t question these recommendations.

Brian O Sullivan, Gavin O' Brien mentioned. Neither good enough to make it in the first place and can't see how that could have changed. Both unable to win their own ball and we have an oversupply of those type of forwards already.
    Paudie Pendergast also mentioned. Surely he must be close to 30 if not their already. Was a decent player though back when he was starting under Scully Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Brian O Sullivan, Gavin O' Brien mentioned. Neither good enough to make it in the first place and can't see how that could have changed. Both unable to win their own ball and we have an oversupply of those type of forwards already.
    Paudie Pendergast also mentioned. Surely he must be close to 30 if not their already. Was a decent player though back when he was starting under Scully Ryan.

Prendegast would be 27 now. O’Brien 26. These lads came through in a period of very strong underage county sides. There was a lot of competition to get into the senior squad and the very good All Ireland minor/u21 group came just after them. In the current era probably would have got more of a chance to improve but D McGrath was in a position to be ruthless with lads who were just short of it

TBH it was off the cuff more so then anything to try get a discussion going.... wasnt in the market for a slagging match today!

who from the above arent regulars with their club so oh wise sage?

Ian Kenny and Conor power wouldn't be regular starters this year

• Advertisement

Ian Kenny and Conor power wouldn't be regular starters this year

WOW You really know your stuff

Prob be hard for Kenny to start and he in America all summer

Sorry but you asked who wasn't a regular on your list.
    Don't ask people to question you if ya don't want to hear an answer

Sorry but you asked who wasn't a regular on your list.
    Don't ask people to question you if ya don't want to hear an answer

AIB Club all star last year

One of best player on pitch in Munster club & all Ireland semi finals

Also what's with the wow you really know your stuff?
    Very condescending. It's like your somehow trying to get the opinion across that you know your stuff better than everyone else.

AIB Club all star last year

One of best player on pitch in Munster club & all Ireland semi finals

No doubting that. Still not regular starter this year no matter what you say

No doubting that. Still not regular starter this year no matter what you say

I’d say they’ll both be starting when it matters tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 46 HelloHello1234

regarding michael harney. i think there should be some kind of divisional teams introduced. if St marys had a team involved playing senior level (bunmahon kill ballydurn kilmac) it would give great exposure to players who would never have thought of playing senior. there are some fantastic players on those teams and would certainly give ballygunnar a good test. I personally think divisional teams would improve the county team and championship

I’d say they’ll both be starting when it matters tbh

Maybe. But ballygunner have changed more than half there team this year and nobody has seemed to notice because there still winning games handy. Personally I think dungarvan will put it up to them and no matter how good you are it's hard to keep going year after year. Be nice to see someone else winning it.

regarding michael harney. i think there should be some kind of divisional teams introduced. if St marys had a team involved playing senior level (bunmahon kill ballydurn kilmac) it would give great exposure to players who would never have thought of playing senior. there are some fantastic players on those teams and would certainly give ballygunnar a good test. I personally think divisional teams would improve the county team and championship

Bunmahon, kill, ballydurn and kilmac joined together wouldn't have a hope against Ballygunner. Together they would be an average intermediate team and no more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 HelloHello1234

Bunmahon, kill, ballydurn and kilmac joined together wouldn't have a hope against Ballygunner. Together they would be an average intermediate team and no more.

regardless of whether they would beat them or not, the point I'm making is that it would expose the likes of michael harney and other talentd players these teams have to a higher level. I think they would hold there own at senior level. cois brid is another team with the like of modeligo colligan and kilgobinet thrown in would surely expose the likes of dunford and devine to a higher level

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement