Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Animation - Anyone Remember?

• 22-07-2008 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Just wondering can anyone remember an Irish cartoon. It was broadcast around 1990, maybe earlier. May have been on before or after Bosco. The show was possibly set in Kerry. The baddie in it was called Barrer I think, he had an eye patch, was bald and could fly. He could well have resembled the Hood from Thunderbirds. The cartoon itself was like a tidy clay-mation.

Any other info, (especially the name!) would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Been trying to find out for ages. I think it was about Na Fianna and that sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 future-shade

Yea, some people have said that's what it was about. Was there some type of object that talked or did something wierd? A few people have suggested there may have been a sunflower in it which talked?

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭transylman

Not sure if I'm thinking about the same thing here but I remember a stop motion animation filmed with figures made from cloth and felt on rte 2 in the early 90s. It was about Fionn and the fianna and Tara and all that and was broadcast in English and Irish, usually Irish when I caught it. It probably has two names, one english and one irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 future-shade

Hi transylman, I think we're talking about the same thing. I am having vague recollections of it being broadcast in Irish now that you mention it. I have the feeling that it may have had an Irish name only, maybe not. I am now thinking it may have indeed been called na Fianna?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 peter panic

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055337813

Balor of the evil eye was the character. it might have been called 'long,long ago'. thats what the guy (Eddie Lenihan?) would say at the start of the episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Could have been called Fado, Fado (as above ach in Gaeilge).:)

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭transylman

After a quick look at listings for irish programmes that were on the den in the early 90s got the following:

Pangur agus a Chairde
    Tir na hOige
    Realtog
    Dinin
    Mise agus Pangur Ban
    Scealaiocht Janosch
    Eachtrai Bhrian

None of these names mean anything to me.

There was indeed a programme called long long ago on dempseys den around 1989-1990. None of the above seem like a match so I think you are right peter and i do think that eddie lenihan narrated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 maggielox

I've been searching for this very series because I want to share it with my children. Here are some more details about it:

It always began with the words, "It was a very fine day, long, long ago in Tara".
    The bad guy was called "Balor".
    There were magic black flowers in it.

I've trawled through the internet, and this thread is the only trace I can find of it. I even emailed Eddie Lenihan himself, and he said the series was no longer available. He said there were two series called "Storyteller" and "Ten Minute Tales", but I'm not sure that he and I were talking about the same show, as I remember it being called "Long, Long Ago". But who am I to argue with Eddie Lenihan?

I really want to find some footage of this show! The RTE archives have been no help, but I may be looking in the wrong place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 gocfella

Yeah sorry for resurrect but I'm 95% sure it was "Ten Minute Tales". It was awesome...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

gocfella wrote: »
    Yeah sorry for resurrect but I'm 95% sure it was "Ten Minute Tales". It was awesome...

I remember that well.Heres a clip on YT.The music at the start is from the movie Betty Blue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

So random but bits of this cartoon popped into my head last night. Have been trying to think of the name of it for years. Balor was the only name I could remember. Link is not working however.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I’m resurrecting this thread from long long ago in the hopes of finding some one who has episodes of Fado Fado :)

Any video recordings from RTÉ of Eddie Lenihan will be great but I loved his show about Fianna. Balor stole the limelight every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,441 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Was this not one of the animated segments on Bosco?
    Similar to the McSpuds.
    I remember it, but I remember it as being shown during Bosco.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

banie01 wrote: »
    Similar to the McSpuds.

I think it might be the series listed third down here. Long Long Ago which aired from 1988 to 1990. Quin Animation, started by David Quins father also worked on Gregory Grainnog which was one of the segments in Bosco. Thats about the only info online it seems.

http://www.davidquin.ie/CV.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

banie01 wrote: »
    Similar to the McSpuds.

No Fado Fado was definitely it's own thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

RTE Guide listing from September 19'th 1989. On Network 2 at 3.25 Long Long Ago is listed as an "animated puppet series based loosely on the tales of the Fianna".

BTW theres some contenders for the forgotten shows thread. Crossbow, wasn't that some dubbed European show with William Tell turned into a Robin Hood type action hero?

70477776_2556598627901745_2937075490873147392_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_eui2=AeEbnn4G1TqtvgNbgP0MSJvg-Jwpgtqy1_a-VzFCY4dz23KMsKrS_-RH4THR5Jk6HnfrEzMdcGHanq4WzJdd5zkcALtr1OefwyFngt2WYgKNVg&_nc_oc=AQkTNlOmrUxy136hjVWPNb8VwPIoXaGwcwFJOb1CZ_kdiZnTFQN09K3hU1oijgQMML0&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=64cb6dd436b9fe2753aac245776c2fdb&oe=5E0401F6

Advertisement