Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few links to sites of interest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Golden Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Mercer's Institute for Successful Ageing.
    The Institute promotes healthy and Successful Ageing as well as raising standards and expectations for the care of older people. Our aim is to provide a hub of clinical services, research, training and education, with a special focus on the creative lives of older people and its relationship to Successful Ageing. We are committed to delivering this promise in a meaningful and integrated way across all parts of the healthcare and social system.

Some interesting stuff on creativity and training/education.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Irish Pensioners Handbook 2012
    Download Here. Homeinstead

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Just thought I’d let folk know this is happening again. Sorry, I don't mean to be depressing but on the positive side it helps charities too.

http://www.bestwill.ie/go/about_us

"Best Will in the World Week is an initiative run by Mylegacy* which takes place every October to highlight the importance of leaving a gift in your will and the difference a gift in your will to a charity can make.
    During Best Will in the World Week, solicitors across the country offer will consultations for a fee of €50. People interested in making their will, or updating an existing will, are asked to consider leaving a gift to their favourite charity once loved ones have been taken care of."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

For anybody concerned that a friend or loved one is being subjected to Elder Abuse- or if you are concerned for your own welfare-please realise that there is help out there.

HSE Helpline @ 1850 24 1850-this is open from Monday to Saturday, 8am to 8pm.

The National Centre for Protection of Older People,has the following website: - www.ncpop.ie

If in doubt-check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Just a mention for this site. I did one of their history courses a while back and it was excellent and gave me lots of links for more information which I hadn't known about. Anyway, this might be of interest if anyone wants to while away a few hours a week with a subject of their choice, in the comfort of their own home, for free. I never heard of 'The Internet of Things', might check that out. Another curious one 'Why we Post - the Anthropology of Social Media' which might tell me more about why I am HERE!! Anyhoo, for whoever might be interested:

https://www.futurelearn.com

It's Bealtaine time again.
    Bealtaine Festival at Dublin City Libraries
    Each year during the month of May, Dublin City Public
    Libraries celebrate Bealtaine, the national festival to
    celebrate creativity as we age. The festival covers
    a number of aspects relating to ageing including
    focussing on the positive side of ageing and on providing
    opportunities for older people to volunteer and engage in
    their communities.
    Bealtaine also presents an opportunity for people to
    discover new talents and this year the programme
    encompasses crafts such as silk painting and decoupage,
    drama, film, music and visual arts with a variety of
    workshops taking place. A diverse series of talks will also
    take place which will cover subjects such as ‘How to grow
    an edible garden’ and ‘How to make better use of your
    smartphone’.
    Over 55’s Open Day – The Central Library
    An Over 55’s Open Day is being held in the Central
    Library, ILAC Centre, Dublin 1, as part of the ‘Bealtaine
    Festival’ on the 19th May between 1.00 pm and 5.00 pm.
    Twelve organisations will be represented and a range
    of activities will be demonstrated on the day including
    ‘Singing Your Cares Away’, ‘Balance and Mindfulness’
    sessions and Older Persons ‘NCT’ Health Checks.
    Admission is free to all events and booking is advised. For
    further information on events and workshops in Dublin City
    Libraries for Bealtaine, please check our website at
    www.dublincitypubliclibraries.ie or pick up a brochure

Alone.ie
    https://alone.ie/

The Alone organisation are looking for volunteers if you have a shortage of things to do. They have set up a hotline for older people in this time of coronavirus to help allay fears and advise on best policy to look after yourselves.

I know that the city council staff are going above and beyond for the old folk in their blocks of flats but there are numerous others out there in private housing that we just can't get too so charities like Alone provide an indispensable service.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Thought I'd add this site here for those interested. Some of my friends have been fed up with modern tv programmes lately and were hankering after the old films, westerns, black & white movies, you know the ones I mean! So I've been encouraging them to watch Talking Pictures TV. Besides the old movies we watch The Footage Detectives presented by Mike Read and Brian Cronin which although mainly for British viewers we find it very interesting to see all the old footage which they run. Great fun spotting old movie stars in their youth too!

https://talkingpicturestv.co.uk/

The schedule can be found here: https://talkingpicturestv.co.uk/schedule/

• Advertisement
Advertisement