Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Finally caught up on league sunday on rte.when there's so many matches on, feels like they brush through them all. quantity over quality .Looking forward to Sunday now. Let's just hope we don't get Horgan again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

IanVW wrote: »
    1 s o keefe
    2 mcnulty
    3 callum lyons
    4 noel connors
    5 philip mahony
    6 tadgh de burca
    7 kevin moran
    8 jamie barron
    9 austin gleeson
    10 colin dunford
    11 mikey kearney
    12 pauric mahony
    13 thomas ryan
    14 s bennett
    15 s bennett

Lyons at full back is a funny one in general. Is it a worry that we don’t seem to have settled on anyone there yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Lyons at full back is a funny one. Is it a worry that we don’t seem to have settled on anyone there yet?

He played full back against Clare for most of the game. Prunty’s injury obviously deprived us of our first choice option there. Shane Fives probably back up and hasn’t been available. Conor Gleeson unavailable throughout the league.
    I’m not sure who we could have settled on there minus our 3 best options for there but Callum Lyons hasn’t done much wrong at all when wing back or indeed full back on Shanagher last Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Galway

1 F Flannery, 2 P Killeen, 3 R Burke,
    4 D Morrissey, 5 A Harte, 6 P Mannion,
    7 G McInerney, 8 C Mannion, 9 J Coen
    10 N Burke, 11 J Canning, 12 K Hussey, 13 C Whelan, 14 B Concannon,
    15 D Glennon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

IanVW wrote: »
    1 s o keefe
    2 mcnulty
    3 callum lyons
    4 noel connors
    5 philip mahony
    6 tadgh de burca
    7 kevin moran
    8 jamie barron
    9 austin gleeson
    10 colin dunford
    11 mikey kearney
    12 pauric mahony
    13 thomas ryan
    14 s bennett
    15 s bennett

Looks like a winning team to me.

• Advertisement

DiscoStew wrote: »
    He played full back against Clare for most of the game. Prunty’s injury obviously deprived us of our first choice option there. Shane Fives probably back up and hasn’t been available. Conor Gleeson unavailable throughout the league.
    I’m not sure who we could have settled on there minus our 3 best options for there but Callum Lyons hasn’t done much wrong at all when wing back or indeed full back on Shanagher last Saturday.

Agreed, don’t get me wrong, but it’s a worry if we go into championship without really knowing who the best option at full back is. You’ve named 4 quality hurlers there, while it’s great to have options, it’s the one position that you can’t really chop and change from week to week. Given that we’re looking strong in literally every other position on the field I wouldn’t want this to be our Achilles heel

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Mulbert

Agreed, don’t get me wrong, but it’s a worry if we go into championship without really knowing who the best option at full back is. You’ve named 4 quality hurlers there, while it’s great to have options, it’s the one position that you can’t really chop and change from week to week. Given that we’re looking strong in literally every other position on the field I wouldn’t want this to be our Achilles heel

And who do u think urself considering we haven't had a nailled on full back for about 15 to 20 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Mulbert

How long is it since Cullinane played.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Mulbert wrote: »

And who do u think urself considering we haven't had a nailled on full back for about 15 to 20 years?
    Barry Coughlan !

Barry Coughlan !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Looking at the Galway side it looks like they could be starting with a sweeper. Will be interesting to see how we deal with that if so. Delighted to see Tadgh back he’s a colossal defender and one which we need going into Sunday’s game. It’ll be some battle as Galway have injuries also but they’re still a serious outfit even minus their injured players. Really looking forward to it.

De Burca would be my ideal pick

De Burca would be my ideal pick
    TDB is indeed a fine hurler ,hopefully he will kwep progrrssing .under Mc Grath he had it somewhat easy being a sweeper in a defence that at times, had as much as 9 possibly 10 defenders .and he was seriously over worked .with waterford playing 1 or two forwards the ball was in his area more that he or the defence could deal with at times .playing man on man now he has an awful lot to prove and hopefully he will .i thing at this stage even Noel Connors could be an option .its almost impossible to get around him.he is unbelievably sticky and a super hurler .not a man to be messed with .

TDB is indeed a fine hurler ,hopefully he will kwep progrrssing .under Mc Grath he had it somewhat easy being a sweeper in a defence that at times, had as much as 9 possibly 10 defenders .and he was seriously over worked .with waterford playing 1 or two forwards the ball was in his area more that he or the defence could deal with at times .playing man on man now he has an awful lot to prove and hopefully he will .i thing at this stage even Noel Connors could be an option .its almost impossible to get around him.he is unbelievably sticky and a super hurler .not a man to be messed with .

De burca to full back is something that has to happen eventually for me. Like you say the sweeper is gone now he needs to re establish himself somewhere. We’re loaded with options in the half backline already, there’s definetly an opening to move him back there now. Hes physically powerful as well as having the natural ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

De burca to full back is something that has to happen eventually for me. Like you say the sweeper is gone now he needs to re establish himself somewhere. We’re loaded with options in the half backline already, there’s definetly an opening to move him back there now. Hes physically powerful as well as having the natural ability.

He could certainly play there I reckon but Tadhg is such an outstanding centre back, with Austin playing in the forwards I think it’s going to be tough not to play Tadhg centre back. Darragh Fives has shown no evidence he can be relied on to remain injury free sadly. Philip isn’t as dominant in the air as Tadhg, although I would happily have Philip in the half back line.
    I can’t see that line changing from Philip Tadhg and Moran barring injuries with Austin pushed forward. If Darragh is to find a starting place anywhere he might have to show midfield. Although having options such as Darragh on the bench to start the campaign would be brilliant as there will undoubtedly be injuries and rotation will be very important I feel come May.

DiscoStew wrote: »
    He could certainly play there I reckon but Tadhg is such an outstanding centre back, with Austin playing in the forwards I think it’s going to be tough not to play Tadhg centre back. Darragh Fives has shown no evidence he can be relied on to remain injury free sadly. Philip isn’t as dominant in the air as Tadhg, although I would happily have Philip in the half back line.
    I can’t see that line changing from Philip Tadhg and Moran barring injuries with Austin pushed forward. If Darragh is to find a starting place anywhere he might have to show midfield. Although having options such as Darragh on the bench to start the campaign would be brilliant as there will undoubtedly be injuries and rotation will be very important I feel come May.

Having a solid full back is paramount for me before settling on a lot of other positions. I maintain we missed out on an AI in the noughties partly because we didn’t have a solid fullback. I think of 04 and 07 in particular and goals that were leaked in those semi finals. A half backline with the likes of Ken McGrath and Tony Browne in it wasn’t even enough. We had a stop gap with Coughlan for a few years but with the sweeper now effectively gone there’s a lot more open space in that area in front of the keeper again. Ideally you’d like a Daithi Burke protecting the house in there, I’m not convinced we have that, but maybe tdb is the closest thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

When Prunty is injury free, he's our full back I reckon. Let's see how Calum goes tomorrow.

Footballers winning run coming to an end. Trail Leitrim 1-13 to 0-5 nearing half time

Leitrim win 1-20 to 2-9

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Just bought the game on GAAGO, looking forward to it now. Anyone know how soon after a game ends when you can watch it back on GAAGO? Or is it even possible to watch back from the start while the game is still going on in real time?

Best of luck to Pauric and the lads today, will be a big challenge getting another one over Galway so soon after beating them only two weeks ago but the boys are in good form. Would be great to get back to a league final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Cake Man wrote: »
    Just bought the game on GAAGO, looking forward to it now. Anyone know how soon after a game ends when you can watch it back on GAAGO? Or is it even possible to watch back from the start while the game is still going on in real time?

Best of luck to Pauric and the lads today, will be a big challenge getting another one over Galway so soon after beating them only two weeks ago but the boys are in good form. Would be great to get back to a league final.

Aw lad, you could have streamed the game for free on tg4 player. If you download hola and change your current country to Ireland, load up the tg4 website then you’re sorted. That’s what I’m doing today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

First game no rain ðŸ˜

deise08 wrote: »
    First game no rain /QUOTE]

Twas dry for the Offaly and laois games if memory serves me right

• Registered Users Posts: 37,764 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Ah usual kilkenny city traffic

Today is a real test for us

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Ian OB

Whats the story with the constant switching of sliothars today?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Ian OB wrote:
    Whats the story with the constant switching of sliothars today?

Plenty of players we should be switching:) what a lethargic performance so far . Blessed to be within 2 points .

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭upthedeise16

Unfortunately against the breeze in the 2nd half, poor performance and poor wides but only 2 down, still plenty of hurling to be played in this yet

• Registered Users Posts: 37,764 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Scoreline flattering us, few players not in the game

Very poor stuff. Second to almost every ball and some terrible passing.a lot of very audible giving out among the players too. Blessed to be only two down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭thesultan

Cake Man wrote: »

It is normally added to YouTube. I forget the channel

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement