Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

Refixed for tomorrow at 2.
    Good result for us in the Fermanagh game today. Means that we’d be in our own at the top of the table if we were to win tomorrow. Also if we were to win, it’d mean that only a large defeat in our last game could deny us promotion.
    But we’re Meath. We still have plenty of opportunities to fcuk it up.

I could be mistaken but I thought it comes down to result with the team you finish level on points with for who finishes on top.So a win next week could mean a lot more than a win today.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

meath4sam wrote: »
    I could be mistaken but I thought it comes down to result with the team you finish level on points with for who finishes on top.So a win next week could mean a lot more than a win today.
    If there’s two teams level, it goes to head to head. More than two teams level, it goes to score difference.
    5 point win in Ennis. So it basically means that we can lose to Fermanagh by 9 points and still go up (on points scored). You would hope that we can manage that at home to a team who haven’t managed more than 13 points in a game so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Sonny678

If there’s two teams level, it goes to head to head. More than two teams level, it goes to score difference. 5 point win in Ennis. So it basically means that we can lose to Fermanagh by 9 points and still go up (on points scored). You would hope that we can manage that at home to a team who haven’t managed more than 13 points in a game so far.

I think the way it is ( and I am open to correction on Donegal game result)
    We have to lose by 10 points to Fermanagh
    and Donegal have to beat kildare by 6 points
    for us to not get promoted.
    We r in a great position. Fermanagh game in Navan , against a team that hasnt scored more then 13 points in the league. But u still expect Fermanagh to try a more attacking game and so we need not to be complacent. As long as we get promoted I will be be happy Thats the main thing.

And if we beat Fermanagh and kildare beat Donegal we wud have kildare v Meath league final and 3 leinster teams in division 1 next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Sonny678 wrote: »
    I think the way it is ( and I am open to correction on Donegal game result)
    We have to lose by 10 points to Fermanagh
    and Donegal have to beat kildare by 6 points
    for us to not get promoted.
    We r in a great position. Fermanagh game in Navan , against a team that hasnt scored more then 13 points in the league. But u still expect Fermanagh to try a more attacking game and so we need not to be complacent. As long as we get promoted I will be be happy Thats the main thing.

And if we beat Fermanagh and kildare beat Donegal we wud have kildare v Meath league final and 3 leinster teams in division 1 next year.

Are the League finals on the weekend of March 31st?

Fermanagh are a weak team at this level using extremely negatives tactics to make the most of the limited pool they have. With 14 men behind the ball, there's not a prayer they'll beat Meath by 10 points.

I would expect Meath to beat them at home anyway. Just be ready for a dull game.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭pipelaser

Hi Guys,
    Does anyone know if i buy a Match Ticket for Meath vs Fermanagh in Páirc Tailteann online for €15 from Tickets.ie, will gain me access to the stand? It only have one ticket type available, and its listed under 'General Admission'

Thanks,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kerry37

pipelaser wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    Does anyone know if i buy a Match Ticket for Meath vs Fermanagh in Páirc Tailteann online for €15 from Tickets.ie, will gain me access to the stand? It only have one ticket type available, and its listed under 'General Admission'

Thanks,

Yep, you'll have no problem getting into the stand once it's not full when you arrive. First come, first served.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

kerry37 wrote: »
    Yep, you'll have no problem getting into the stand once it's not full when you arrive. First come, first served.
    It was full 30 minutes before the Kildare match so get there at least 40mins early. Enjoy the banging tunes over the PA while you wait.

Why have Meath improved this year. There are few reasons why this happened. Its a gradual process over a few seasons but there are few areas that have come together for Meath this season. I think most are very surprised by Meaths progress this year but the signs were there. In the last two years Meaths very good performances v Tyrone Donegal twice Galway Roscommon and even v Dublin in last few months were evidence Meath were not as crap as people thought. The loses v kildare Cavan Longford Tippearey and Cork in 2017 and 2018 were all well deserved victories for the above. But people only saw those defeats but ignored the 1 point losess to Donegal in 2017 and Tyrone in 2018.

So there is a surprise out there with. Meaths progress. For me the main surprise is that so many people are welcoming a Meath return , Meath progess. I never saw that one coming. Of course there is some of our neighbours and old enemies who if we score another point in championship it will a point to much. But overall because of Dublins domiance people wud welcome a stronger Meath. I think people might even miss the old Meath v Dublin battles which in their heyday were the biggest game in football after an All Ireland final. Definatly I feel people wud like to see Meath get stronger. Thats a surprise to me.

But why have Meath improved. Here are some reasons.

1 It was always in his third year McEntee would improve the team. It took Boylan Dywer and McGee, the three most sucessful managers in leinster football history outside Heffernan and Galvin , it took them years to turn around their counties. McEntees work with Meath minors and Ballyboden showed he had the CV. It also took McEntee a while to get use to inter county football. A common occurence for many managers.

2 Very good performances v Tyrone Galway Donegal and Roscommon and even Dublins showed good signs. Even the two games v Dublin in recent months were a help. Meath beat Dublin in a challenge game before christmas were Brian Fenton and 4 or 5 first team Dublin players were playing. Yes Dublin had allot of players missing and were not back training. But still dont underestimate that it was good boost for a Meath team to beat Dublin. And even if they lost on penalties to Dublins reserve team in Bynre cup. Just playing any Dublin team in two games in a few weeks and not been beaten in full time in both matchs. These things do help.

2 Meaths performance v Tyrone was important. Most people ignored it. The only person I saw recognising the importance of this performance was Alan Brogan. He said it was one of the games of the season. And Meath cud take an awful lot from the performance. He was right.

If Meath had beaten Tyrone I think this cud have been a bad thing. Lets say Meath reached the super 8 last year. Meath were weaker then Roscommon last year. look at what happened to Roscommon in Super 8 last year. If Meath reached super 8 last year they would have had worst defeats then Roscommon and would have ended the season a bit demoralised.

Instead Meath had a moral victory v Tyrone. They lost contervesaly and left the fans a bit aggrieved but also proud of the performance. A good way to end the season for a team rebuilding. Instead of getting bad hammerings in the Super 8. Meath took allot from that performance. And when Tyrone reached the All Ireland final afterwards, it made Meaths performance v Tyrone even more credible.

3 Since the Cork league game last year in about 14 or 15 games since longford defeat, Meath have only played one real bad game since. That was v Longford. What has happened,? Two posotional changes have transformed the Meath team. The moving of James McEntee to wing back and moving of Donal keoghan to centre back have been massive for Meath. Why?

Half back line has been a problem area for Meath for years. Half back line is most important line in modern football. If u dont have a quality half back line u cannot be sucessful eg Lee Keegan Karl Lacey James Mcarthy etc. James McEntee moving from wing forward to wing back has been a huge sucess. He has given many man of the match performances at wing back and is producing performances I havent seen at wing back for a Meath footballer in ten years at least.

The other was Donal keoghan. Donal keoghan has played at corner back wing back centre back in all 6 defence positions for Meath for years. If there was a player on the opposite team who was dangerous, Keoghan marked him. If Meath were struggling in a position, he played in that position. That meant Keoghan basically played corner back for Meath for 5 years. He was outstanding at corner back but it is not his best position. That was as a half back. A top class wing back is more important then top class corner back. U need good corner backs but half backs can really influence the game more.

Since the Cork game last year, Keoghan has played every game at centre back. His longest period out the field. Centre back has been a problem area since Enda McManus retired in 2000 for Meath. It is no coincidence that since the Cork game Meath have played well and improved and keoghan has played every game at centre back.

For me Donal keoghan is one of the best defenders in the country and could be the best. He wud walk onto any team in the country including Dublin and would walk onto Meaths teams of 80s and 90s. He is Meaths best defender since Darren Fay. And for me his level of performance for Meath is up there with Darren Fay Martin O Connell Robbie O Malley and Mick Lyons. Most people have not seen Keoghan as Meath have not been on telly much only when he was corner back when Meath were defeated by Dublin in 2014 and Westmeath in 2015. For me , Keoghan is up there with kieth Higgins and James Mcarthys , he reminds me of Meath Karl lacey. Meath have a top class centre back for the first time since Liam Harnan. That has been massive for Meath.

4 The main area ofs Meaths improvement was our defence. This is best Meath defence in ten years at least. Meath have 4 top class defenders. They are Donal keoghan Conor McGill Seamus Lavin and Shane Gallagher. Seamus lavin has emerged as quality corner back, the best we have had since Niall McKeigue retired 10 years ago. Conor McGill is one of the best full backs in the country. And Gallagher has been best man marker in Meath club football for years and has adapted to inter game very well. While young Ronan Ryan has been one of our finds of the season. He is tenacious Summerhill defender carrying on Mick Lyons and Mark Reilly Summerhill defending tradition. Mcoy has also been good. Niall kane and James McEntee means Meath have two quality effective wing backs. Its a pity kane will be out for months after picking up an injury v kildare. But overall this is Meaths best defence in at least ten years. Meath have a division 1 defence.

5 Meath have a group of players who are now peaking. Many of them r off the 2012 minor All Ireland finalist team eg Cillian Sullivan James and Shane McEntee Adam.Flanagan Seamus Lavin Padraig Harnan were all.on that team. While players like Donal Keoghan Brian Menton Conor McGill are also peaking. Player start to peak at 25 and reach peak at 27 28. These group of players have now years of strenght and conditioning and now are peaking and better equipped for inter county football.

6 Meaths tackling has improved in defence but also in attack. In the past few years Meath players would lose the ball in the tackle, we had a small team in stature. Who wud lose the ball in contact. Now after a few years strenght and conditioning ,these players are now stronger in the tackle. While younger players coming thru are the first generation of Meath players who have had strenght and conditioning training at underage. These new young players are bigger and more Atletic then underage players we have produced in a while.

7 Another reason for Meaths progress has been these new young players. Meath have a young team the average age is 23 24. But for the first time since 2012 when Padraig Harnan Alan Forde Damien Carroll Conor Gillespie in 2012 made a straightaway impact. For first time in years Meath have under 21 players making an impact straightaway. Players like Daragh Campion Ethan Devine Ronan Ryan and James Conlon all under 21 players all have made an impact . The good news is I can see 3 or 4 new young players next year and the year after making impact as Meaths best underage talent since 90s start coming through.

8 Andy McEntee in his first year or two was probably trying to do everything. Coaching and managing. This year he has brought in Nally as coach and this has worked real well. Andy McEntee is doing more one on one man mangement with the players this year. McEntees is good at man management. He can be blunt but he is a good motivator. Players like Michael Dara Macauley and Colm Keaney Dublin players who have been managed by Pat Gilroy Anthony Daly and Jim Galvin said McEntee was best manager they played under. McEntee managing the players this year is working.

8 The introduction of Nally as a coach has been very important. Coachs importance has grown massively recently. Paul Grimley Peter Lally Donie Buckley Cian O Neill Jason Sherlock have all showed how important a quality coach is. Jim Galvin or Mickey Harte dont do the coaching . They manage the team. The role of modern coach has improved recently. Look at Clare and Limerick All Ireland hurling win. Paul McKinnerk was the coach on both teams. He is possibly most important figure in hurling in this decade. Nally is one best coachs in leinster. He gives seminars and writes coaching manuals. The Meath players are very very happy with him.

I wud recommended every Meath person to check out Colm Nally appearance on off the ball football show recently. U cud listen to this guy talk about football all day long. He really impressed me in this show. Nally joining the Meath management team is a turning point.

Meath have failed to adapt to modern tactics in football. How do you get the Meath players to play tactically aware football with their old school passion. For me this is the first time I have seen Meath play tactics in a modern way sucessfully with old school passion. The management team of McEntee and Nally has had a massive role. McEntees passion combined with Nallys tactical nuance has really worked.

I have been so impressed as Nally , he is a Dub. Which I would never agree with having a Dub on any Meath management team. But to give Dubs their credit they always produce good managers coachs eg Paul Cafffry Pat Gilroy Jim Galvin Mickey Whelan and Jason Sherlock. Nally has been so good that when McEntee leaves and hopefully that is a couple of seasons. Nally for me would be a genuine and only candidate as a future Meath manager at the moment eeing the serious lack of young Meath managers out there. (Hopefully someone like Kevin Reilly at Navan O Mahoneys who is doing really well there at the moment can be sucessful at Mahonys. We need new sucessful talented managers to come thru. Hopefully Kevin Reilly is one. )

So there r 8 reasons why Meath have improved this year. Meath are still not the finished article and still wil have ups and downs. But they are going in right direction. They have young team with strong defence and strong management and new talent thru. A promotion for Meath to div 1 for the first time in 13 years wud be a masive boost for Meath. And I think Meath wud adapt better to divsion 1 football then people think. Galway adapted well. Galway feel like they belong in divsion 1 and have no inferior complex. Meath would also have same mindset as Galway and and wud have no inferior complex. If Meath cud get 4 games in Navan as Meath have a great record in Navan that would be massive for Meath. Hopefully we dont mess up next week. Meath football is turning the corner. And this can only be good for football. Leinster needs a strong Meath and kildare. Hopefully we see a Meath v kildare league final. 3 leinster teams in division wud be great for leinster football.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

Thanks for that post Sonny678. Always appreciate content generation on Meath GAA. I think the Leinster Championship draw is perfect for where we are at currently in our life cycle. I'd be a bit worried if we had an early showdown with Kildare in Leinster. It'd be a very close game that could easily go either way. I feel like a championship run of 2-3 games resulting in a no expectations shot against the Dubs in the final is what we need now rather than an early forage into the qualifiers.

After last years horror's V Longford I would like to think we won't slip into a bad head space to allow something like that happen again. A Leinster final is an absolute must for us this year. I can't handle any more false dawns or false dawns of false dawns. But ultimately the test comes in the Championship. That's our leaving cert. If we go out tamely again I will be very upset :(

You could feel it in Navan when we scored the penalty versus Kildare. The hardcore Meath fans in attendance are absolutely starved for success and are desperate for it. I don't think any county has experienced the feast to famine we've had to endure. All counties who have been relatively successful from the time when we were have popped up in 2-3 semi's & the odd final since. I don't think its hyperbole to say we've been the biggest embarrassment in the country in GAA football terms given our county size and pedigree (We have way more pedigree than Kildare). As Sonny says above people are actually happy to see us starting to improve again and that in way is a testament to where we've been. After 1996 we were hated and it was lovely.. Fingers crossed for the upcoming season.

Sonny - Would you have a link to the Colm Nally appearance on OTB?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

the roar when that penalty went in against kildare was unreal and at the final whistle . in many ways please God it could well be seen as very similar to the centenary cup final, i think there could be similarities to the 1984 centenary cup final and our promotion this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭paul71

Dickie10 wrote: »
    the roar when that penalty went in against kildare was unreal and at the final whistle . in many ways please God it could well be seen as very similar to the centenary cup final, i think there could be similarities to the 1984 centenary cup final and our promotion this season.

My God I remember the centenary cup. It was the starting point for 17 years of the greatest excitement that was a the binding force for family fun every weekend. And it came on the back of a loss to Longford a few years before in the Championship.

I would love a repeat but would be happy with just a return to a respectable standing for a while.

It'll be interesting to see how Fermanagh set up on Sunday. They have to expect that Donegal will beat Kildare which basically means (assuming they don't beat us by 10+) that they will have to beat us by 4 or more points than Donegal beat Kildare. Anything less than that and they stay below Donegal on points difference/scored.
    They've gotten to where they are in the league now by having a miserly defence while the likes of Quigley tags on a few points at the other end here and there. If they really are serious about promotion, they'd really have to be a more attacking force in Navan which could possibly be a blessing in disguise for us. We managed 3-15 against them last time in Navan while only managed 6 points the previous year in Enniskillen).

I personally hope we go for the win (and I think we will do so). Hopefully Kildare can pull a result out of the bag in Ballyshannon. Would be great for Leinster if we had 3 teams in division 1.
    I'm willing to believe that we'll be promoted, but I'd still be disappointed if we didn't make the Leinster final (where we'll obviously be easily beaten) given the draw we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

It'll be interesting to see how Fermanagh set up on Sunday. They have to expect that Donegal will beat Kildare which basically means (assuming they don't beat us by 10+) that they will have to beat us by 4 or more points than Donegal beat Kildare. Anything less than that and they stay below Donegal on points difference/scored.
    They've gotten to where they are in the league now by having a miserly defence while the likes of Quigley tags on a few points at the other end here and there. If they really are serious about promotion, they'd really have to be a more attacking force in Navan which could possibly be a blessing in disguise for us. We managed 3-15 against them last time in Navan while only managed 6 points the previous year in Enniskillen).

I personally hope we go for the win (and I think we will do so). Hopefully Kildare can pull a result out of the bag in Ballyshannon. Would be great for Leinster if we had 3 teams in division 1.
    I'm willing to believe that we'll be promoted, but I'd still be disappointed if we didn't make the Leinster final (where we'll obviously be easily beaten) given the draw we have.

Speaking to an Armagh game who was at their match at the weekend, he said even when far behind it was only for the last five minutes that Fermanagh tried to have a go.

I can’t see Kildare beating Donegal. Donegal are the Division 2 team who I feel will actually cope in the top Division. They’ve been missing a lot of top class talent and barring a disaster will still be promoted.

It’s not surprising to see Cavan and probably Roscommon coming back down. Division One football is a big step up and Meath are going to need to find another gear in the next 12 months. The two good factors ye have are - 1) a tendency to play above yourselves when against better opposition 2) a team which didn’t seem to know when its beat.

and a massive young gaelic football playing population compared to cavan and rosscommon, we are offically the youngest county in ireland , if we keep getting our house in order at underage , both meath and kildare will be a serious force, maybe we wont see three gaelic teams in dublin but i suppose you already have three county teams in greater dublin

Thanks for the comments vapor trails. Here is the link to Colm Nally appearance on OTB below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bLGTo94vpg

I would definatly recommend all Meath supporters to listen to it. Even people not from Meath, if your interested in modern football tactics its worth a listen. Nally seems a real deep thinker on the game, an innovative coach. I have to say you could listen to him talk about tactics all day long. You can see why the Meath players are very happy with. His addition to the management has been massive positive for the team.

Andy McEntee deserve most of the praise if we get promoted. The manager is the most important figure in any team. But I think in the first year or two Andy was trying to do everything. This year he is more concentrating on one to one man management, which is his strenght, while Nally is doing the coaching and tactics. All the top teams have good coachs eg Sherlock with Dublin, Donie Buckley with Kerry, lally with Galway etc. I think McEntee with Nally is the best management team we have had since Boylan. And when we have these talented young players coming through similar to Campion Devine and Ryan next year and the year after , McEntee and Nally are the best management team to bring them on.

I think this season there is still a bad game or two in the team. We should get to the leinster final but Laois in the semis could be a very tricky game. But next year in division 1 even if we get relegated, division 1 football will mean we should reach the Super 8s next year and compete well next year at that level. Ronan Jones will be back next year to help our midfield. Allot of our  players will be peaking as footballers eg J McEntee , McGill, Sullivan, Lavin, Keoghan , S McEntee. And also I can see 3 or 4 players from this years Under 20 making an impact in the forwards similar as Campion has this year.

We will be stronger next year and in the coming year , as there is good young talent coming through. I predicted in this forum at the start of the league we wud get promoted this year. I felt it would take McEntee three years to see an improvement. But we r still 12 to 24 months from where we want to be. It took Boylan and McGee 4 years with Meath and Offaly respectively and Dwyer 5 years with kildare before they made the breakthrough. It will take a similar time or more for McEntee. But we are definatly going in the right direction. And I feel both Meath and kildare will much stronger in 2020s then they have been in the last ten years. But this year there still will be inconsistencies. Our defence has been brillant, and maybe that could get us to Super 8, but in the summer in the wide open spaces of Croke Parkand  on hard ground v fast forwards we will then know how good the defence is. But so far this year our defence has been division 1 standard and the best Meath defence in years. Hopefuly things will go well on Sunday. Yes Meaths supporters are starved of sucess for a while now. But things are on the upward curve.

I see the first time Meath are likely to make a division 2 final and it looks as though the GAA are relegating it to a triple header with divisions 3 & 4 instead of having it as a double header with the division 1 final as it has been since 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

I see the first time Meath are likely to make a division 2 final and it looks as though the GAA are relegating it to a triple header with divisions 3 & 4 instead of having it as a double header with the division 1 final as it has been since 2008.

Where are you seeing that. I honestly wouldn't mind it being moved away from Mothers day.

Felexicon wrote: »
    Where are you seeing that. I honestly wouldn't mind it being moved away from Mothers day.

They're looking at having a football and hurling division 1 final double header.

What difference does it make if the meath game is part of a division 1&2 double or a 2,3&4 triple header. They'll be playing the same game in the same venue, just on a different day :confused:

Double header confirmed for next Saturday. Meath V Donegal at 5 with Derry v Leitrim at 3pm. There is still an outstanding fixture to be played in Division 3 so I guess that's why they have the division 2 and 4 double header

https://www.gaa.ie/fixtures-results/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭snowgal

Great win and great feeling to be back in division one. Nice atmosphere with the players on the pitch after the game... but, I think having the 2 and 4 finals on sat is gonna be a low atmosphere with a small enough crowd.... 30k max I’d say. I already know 7 fans who won’t make it at 5 on Saturday. Would it be crazy to have the 4 on the one day on Sunday? 12,2,4,6pm? Not that it matters as it’s set now but there’s nothing worse than flat atmosphere at Croke Park.

• Advertisement

Hopefully we get Dublin in Navan next year and not Croke park.

snowgal wrote: »
    Great win and great feeling to be back in division one. Nice atmosphere with the players on the pitch after the game... but, I think having the 2 and 4 finals on sat is gonna be a low atmosphere with a small enough crowd.... 30k max I’d say. I already know 7 fans who won’t make it at 5 on Saturday. Would it be crazy to have the 4 on the one day on Sunday? 12,2,4,6pm? Not that it matters as it’s set now but there’s nothing worse than flat atmosphere at Croke Park.

Do we really need a league Final?

If you finish top you win in my opinion, finish 2nd then go on and win a match and your the winner doesn’t make sense that not how league works.

Every year the finals in croke park are a dead atmosphere.

Experience in croke park will do us good and I suppose it’s a day out for the division 3/4 teams who may never get a chance to get to croker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

meath4sam wrote: »
    Hopefully we get Dublin in Navan next year and not Croke park.

Hahahaha unless it’s the first game of the league it doesn’t matter where it’s played. See you in the summer lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Congrats Meath , great to see yous back in Div 1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭enricoh

Ah no harm to get a game in croke park against a team like donegal, who would be considered a super 8 team.
    I thought fermanagh were awful, dunno how they got wins against donegal, kildare etc. Good to be beating northern teams again, been an issue the last few years to say the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Great to be back in div.1 next year, really think a win next weekend on top of promotion will put us in great shape going into the summer, theres been a great improvement in the teams performances this year to, more attacking and less defensive, and i think Nally deserves a lot of credit for this, overall its been a great start to the year, a lot of positives to take from it, keep up the attacking style of play and roll on saturday night

id say 30k is very optimistic, id say neaer 15-18k max. meath will bring the biggest crowd maybe 7000 max, lietrim will bring 4,000,donegal about 4,000 and derry about 1000. cant see anymore than that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Still buzzing off yesterday here. I have to say it looked ropey enough in the first ten minutes or so, if Fermanagh were able to shoot properly we could've been in serious trouble. Fair play to the lads though once they got a grip of it they never looked like they'd lose. Brian Menton was superb in midfield I thought especially in the second half. He broke a lot of ball, but he knew where he was breaking it to. Conor McGill was class too especially under the high ball in the first half. Actually I could list out a dozen lads here. Great to be back in Croker at last too, I think having this final there against Donegal is worth half a dozen pitch openings in terms of championship prep.

I'd much rather play as a curtain raiser to Kerry/Mayo (no offence to Leitrim and Derry).
    Leitrim may bring a good crowd, but would be surprised if Derry had more than a few hundred. Croke Park is going to be cavernous on Saturday.

Absolutely delighted with promotion. Seems like there's some positivity coming back into Meath football with all the kids getting signatures after the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I seen people talking about 30k, I'd say if it goes over 10k they'll be doing well. Though I've just looked at tickets.ie and tickets are on sale for the Cusack and Hogan

Advertisement