Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay in Limerick

• 26-12-2018 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hello, I am in my mid-late 30's and living in West Limerick. I am a gay man (never said that out loud!). I am very much in the closet. I don't want to be though. I have zero gay friends here and to be honest, life gets lonely. I need, really need to make gay friends in Limerick. I find it increasingly hard. All my friends are straight and I just can't talk to them about this stuff. I am not a big drinker and I don't do the clubbing scene but I bit the bullet and decided to head to Strokers (Gay bar) last weekend - only to find it had closed down!
    This time of year is always tough but I really want to build a network. I joined a gay mens group in Dublin last year. Went to 2/3 outings and found it great, nothing like that in Limerick. Surely I am not the only person in this situation - am I?
    I have asked Gosh about any meetups but they had no info to give. Surely Limerick has something to offer right? Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mttdhg

There is not much down this way to be fair, even in the city.

Id say just download Grindr and get a few meets off that, go for a coffee somewhere and make friends before trying to settle into a relationship. Thats how I made most of my gay friends.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Limerick has never had much in the way of a “scene” in fairness. Now it is practically non-existent...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭adam88

North kerry lad here, looking for mates dates and fun, sorry thought it was Grindr,,,,,,,,,,

All jokes aside. No not much around here. If you fancy drop me a pm and I’d be more than happy to have a chat and a coffee and I’ll offer a listening ear

• Registered Users Posts: 4 King Dara

I am not a big fan of the gay scene but any sign of gay life in Limerick is non existent. It is a pity as it is a good city. There used be a meetup group a few years back. A few of us used meet for lunch every second Friday. It was great and completely relaxed but people began to move away and that was the end of that. I too would like to see something....maybe a North Kerry/Limerick boardsie can arrange aka @adam88

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I know Grindr is pitched as a hookup/NSA meet up app but believe it or not, you can meet and make friends off it (or even make friends with those you are hooking up with initially!). If you are not comfortable with hookups/NSAs, just make it clear in your profile what you are looking for. You will still get plenty who will ignore your requirements as they tap/message you but you should be able to interact with others (out or not out) in Limerick/Kerry/North Cork/Clare etc who have similar requirements as you. Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 PointHop123

There is a group called QUILT LK - that meets on occasion. I have never been to a get together but it might be worth checking out. They have a facebook group so maybe send them a message,

• Registered Users Posts: 15 PointHop123

Also there is a Pride festival in Limerick every year so check their website out.
    During the marriage referendum there was an active YesEquality group and I think that group is still on Facebook so they might have some more ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

ongarboy wrote: »
    I know Grindr is pitched as a hookup/NSA meet up app but believe it or not, you can meet and make friends off it (or even make friends with those you are hooking up with initially!). If you are not comfortable with hookups/NSAs, just make it clear in your profile what you are looking for. You will still get plenty who will ignore your requirements as they tap/message you but you should be able to interact with others (out or not out) in Limerick/Kerry/North Cork/Clare etc who have similar requirements as you. Best of luck!
    This is true and only something I’ve begun tonrealsie quite recently. You can get more than hookups. You just need to make your intentions clear and make them even more clear in chats. The majority of guys there just want sex to be honest but there are a few that want more.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Uberbeamerman

What about organising a morning some weekend in limerick or Galway? ....coffee or some craic like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

What about organising a morning some weekend in limerick or Galway? ....coffee or some craic like that?

Great idea, I’d be interested as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 WhatsCurrent

In Dublin they have a weekly meetup thing in a cafe, discussions take place and welcoming of new members, they chat for an hour or so then take to a pub for a few drinks. Members are then welcome to depart to their usual Saturday night activities, or stay and enjoy the night with the group.
    I think it is needed in Limerick, more 'community' vibe would be great.

Advertisement