Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you see yourself doing in 5 years time?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Wasn't it just over 5 years ago we had the first big C&H "beers"? I remember doing something around January anyway. Strange to think of all that's changed since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

(Don't say doing your wife, don't say doing your wife)

Doing your... son

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭sibby

How I see my evenings being spent in 5 years time.

7fd14cedecc998da60a9400a7e38dd24.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Aww cant believe i miss this. been on boards since 09 lol. Definitely would not have seen myself in Aviation Customer Service.
    But may As well start Five Years from here.

Hope to Continue In Aviation. As a peoples person i'd ideally like to take small steps and start at the bottom currently as CSR and progress to supervisor or trainer, hopefully try Aircraft Dispatch see if its a branch id like to work in. Ultimately i would like to be on the ladder to some sort of managerial role or a trainer travelling to various Airports around the world teaching PSA airline systems.

Pretty ambitious for a 5 year timeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Panda_Returns

Putting in this in here and I'll come back to it again in five years. By that stage I'll probably have forgotten my password again and my username will be Panda_Panda_Returns.

Hopefully in five years I'll have a masters done, either in education or web design. Hopefully I won't be completely jaded but still loving it. Maybe I'll have a nice boyfriend but if you don't Future Liz, please don't beat yourself up over it. Hopefully I'll have had moderate success at that stage, say the kind of success where your walking into a shop and people are selling your stuff. That would be enough success! Present Panda will work on that one. I hope I've seen some of the world. South America would be nice. I hope I'm happy. And healthy. I hope my parents are still healthy.... I know that this will be ****ty to read if they're not.

I'll be 29 when I come back here. I'M GUNA GO AND MAKE MY LIFE EXTRAORDINARY.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

I have no idea where or what I will be doing in five years. If I achieve the following, I will consider it a great success.

- Still alive.
    - Finished an undergraduate degree.
    - Have a job that allows me to live relatively comfortably.
    - Have not fucked up my body to a great degree, in control mentally.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Doing something that makes a difference. I want to be able to say that I did X, and because I did X it helped people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Have a good degree and a masters under my belt and with that a full time job secured in a primary school. A pipe dream would to become a fitness celebrity/model and start a youtube channel and fitness website/brand. Yeah big dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I got my teaching degree! I now live in London, since September 2013. Life is so very different. My friendships have changed, my priorities have changed, I've lost someone very important to me to cancer, I've reevaluate what I want my life to become.
    I moved to a new country all on my own, I travelled to south east Asia for a summer.

In 5 years I would love to move into an education pastoral role (like head of a year group, which is a much bigger deal hear in england than at home) but plan b is to win The Great British Bake Off and/or become Instagram famous for my epic foodie pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

jumpguy wrote: »
    I'll hopefully in 3rd year med...

It doesn't matter, as someone said before, as long as I'm happy.
    Good shout GG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Monzo_

I didn't even post in this thread (probably a good thing) but by johnny it brought back memories. Time capsule indeed.

(Now to disappear again once the ale wears off and I forget my password in the morning..)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Monzo_ wrote: »
    I didn't even post in this thread (probably a good thing) but by johnny it brought back memories. Time capsule indeed.

(Now to disappear again once the ale wears off and I forget my password in the morning..)

Good to see your old name again, friend! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Hopefully college, doing abit of charity work, be happy etc. :)

Awwww nostalgia. Considering I'll be a qualified nurse in a few weeks time, Id like to think I've fulfilled all the above credentials through my general work practises lulzzz.
    15 year old soccy was too cute.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Awwww nostalgia. Considering I'll be a qualified nurse in a few weeks time, Id like to think I've fulfilled all the above credentials through my general work practises lulzzz.
    15 year old soccy was too cute.

I can't believe you're almost finished college. That makes me feel very old.

Sometimes I remember that I wrote in this thread that one time and it gives me the ****ing fear. I've a busy 2 years trying to get some of this ****e done!! :D:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Doing something that makes a difference. I want to be able to say that I did X, and because I did X it helped people.

I want to say I'm kind of doing it? I'm helping people through my job, and working on different campaigns. Oh, my sweet innocent Loony though...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Have a good degree and a masters under my belt and with that a full time job secured in a primary school.

This bit is a worthy aspiration. :)
    A pipe dream would to become a fitness celebrity/model and start a youtube channel and fitness website/brand. Yeah big dream.

This bit makes me despair for our species.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6 claireod

teaching is an amazing profession if you want to travel.

claireod wrote: »
    teaching is an amazing profession if you want to travel.

True, if you manage to get a decent contract. Lots of newly qualified teachers can barely afford rent in this country at the moment though!

Anyway, what do you see yourself doing in 5 years time? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

It's been almost 5 years since I've posted on this board. Lads.

• Advertisement

<3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

<3
    Actually 5 > 3

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Davidius wrote: »
    It's been almost 5 years since I've posted on this board. Lads.
    Lads.

Putting in this in here and I'll come back to it again in five years. By that stage I'll probably have forgotten my password again and my username will be Panda_Panda_Returns.

Hopefully in five years I'll have a masters done, either in education or web design. Hopefully I won't be completely jaded but still loving it. Maybe I'll have a nice boyfriend but if you don't Future Liz, please don't beat yourself up over it. Hopefully I'll have had moderate success at that stage, say the kind of success where your walking into a shop and people are selling your stuff. That would be enough success! Present Panda will work on that one. I hope I've seen some of the world. South America would be nice. I hope I'm happy. And healthy. I hope my parents are still healthy.... I know that this will be ****ty to read if they're not.

I'll be 29 when I come back here. I'M GUNA GO AND MAKE MY LIFE EXTRAORDINARY.

Cool so almost/nearly/practically 5 years have gone by again. This is starting to feel like a diary now.

I've actually done a good few of the things I set out to do. I did the Masters! I'm actually still doing it, I finish in May. Have had a lovely boyfriend for the past 4 and a half years, made fast work on that goal! Parents are in great form. Went to Central America? Not exactly South America but I'm sure I'll get there :rolleyes: I'd say I'm relatively successful in that I love my job and I get paid fairly okay? But I'm definitely not speaking at conferences or anything or selling my stuff in shops.

So goals for next five years:

I guess try and get back into illustration after all this part-time education and sell stuff in shops! Bump that goal forward.
    Move out of Dublin, I've loved living here for the last 6 years but all good things must come to an end, onwards!
    Try and push my career forward for as long as I can? I don't want to be crazy senior but I would like to keep going up a bit. I've realised I'm not sure I have it in me to be a creative director, but I'll settle for really good senior designer.
    Continue to be fulfilled and happy.

God my goals are so boring.:o:pac: This whole post is procrastination from said Masters.

I need to start setting some goals! :eek:

I want to do a PhD. Most likely in Irish.
    I want to write songs and record an album.
    I'm planning on publishing a book of poems in the spring. Hopefully I'll be up to 3 books in 5 years' time.
    I'd like to see some of South America and more of North America by then. Hard to believe it's been nearly 14 years since I was in Canada.

All of these ideas are very much achievable. I just need to make them happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

I need to start setting some goals! :eek:

I want to do a PhD. Most likely in Irish.
    I want to write songs and record an album.
    I'm planning on publishing a book of poems in the spring. Hopefully I'll be up to 3 books in 5 years' time.
    I'd like to see some of South America and more of North America by then. Hard to believe it's been nearly 14 years since I was in Canada.

All of these ideas are very much achievable. I just need to make them happen.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

HugsiePie wrote: »
    Imma be living with 30 cats.

Whilst this was a joke post, I am devastated it didn't come true. My genuine plans from 5 years ago would've probably been that I was doing a PhD at this moment in time in Biochemistry (I LOVED Biochemistry in 2015; I didn't even pick it as my final year degree) and was surrounded by friends and on top of the fucking world. My life could not be further from that. I started rereading my old posts, my first posts from my LC year. 7 years ago I did the LC which is really fucking depressing. 7. I joined here nearly 8 years ago :( I reread my old posts, it was weird, I had basically consigned myself to failing and repeating my Leaving cert before I had even sat it. I felt the same about my final year in college. I had a lot of the same insecurities and problems as I do now even tho I am a completely different person. Some of those problems are still true to this day, just in a different context. There is no way Hugsie Jnr would've imagined the life I live today, and tbh I don't think she would be happy with it. Like present day Hugsie, Hugsie Jnr didn't know what she wanted. I just hope in 5 years time I will have found clarity and am happy in whatever it is I have decided to do, and hopefully not in the same line of work I currently am. I hope that I am away from here living in a big city. I hope I have that clarity, and am surrounded by lots of loved ones and friends, living a happy life and hopefully only a few regrets.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

This was posted on one of my alter-egos after this account went tits up in The Great Hacking.

BSc and MSc in computer science and in my third year working as a full-time software developer after two years in QA, so I'm working in my field and relatively happy with it.

Getting married to a wonderful man in May. Relationship thing checked :)

Travel bug definitely still there - I've moved to London and have seen a good bit of Europe, but so much more I'd still like to see.

Lost almost two years in running terms after I got a virus in 2011 that was at me for about 6 months, and then got a nasty injury in May 2012 that didn't properly heal until late 2013. I've mostly switched to triathlon these days - hoping to do a half-ironman this summer, and I did a few sprints and my first Olympic distance last year.

Also, being 30 is not as scary as it sounded then. Women allegedly hit their sexual peak in their 30s anyway :D

Spoiler alert: there was no half ironman. Three days before my actual goal race (London Triathlon Olympic distance) I found out I was pregnant. I still did the race but treated it as a long training day.

I am separated, left my husband almost 6 months ago. There was abuse and I had to go.

I have two children, little boys age 4 and 2. They're the best <3

I've run four more marathons since then, London (x2), Dublin and Manchester.

I moved to Manchester 2 years ago because London is way too expensive with kids. I rent a 2 bed here on the edge of a posh area for £650/month. The kids live with me most of the time.

I beat Covid-19, but still have some issues with fatigue and wheezing almost 10 weeks in.

I'm 36 next month, some days I feel like a big kid, some days I feel absolutely decrepit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

A bit disappointed to find I hadn't posted in this thread. In 2010, I'm not too sure what my 5 year ambitions would have been, and certainly had no concrete 10 year ambitions. I believe I would have been planning on studying biochemistry & immunology at the time with the intent of working in medical research by now. Took a pretty big turn from this, studying computer science instead and working in tech now for almost 3 years.

In 5 years from now, I would like to have spent a period living abroad, own my own place, have a dog and be in a serious relationship? Career wise, I'm less certain. Probably a company change, work in a start-up or early stage company and be in a position to lead a team. I've taken up running so maybe fit in a marathon somewhere along the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Slow Show wrote: »
    Yeah I'm in my second year in college and am indeed 19, I truly had the gift. In NUIG though, not really sure where I was going with UCC considering I'm from Galway. :pac:

Something like this is where I hope to be in another five years. :)

Into the time machine we go! I am, as predicted, coming to the end of working as an intern. Sometimes I actually even feel like a doctor! So in the last five years I dutifully followed through with my college path and graduated last year. I wish I said more five years ago about what else was going on.

I first posted in this ten years ago. I remember in 2010 I was a pretty anxious teenager who couldn't wait to be an adult. I can't exactly say I miss those days. I suppose my biggest hope when visiting the likes of this thread back then would have been to come back in the future and see that I'm happier than I was then. Life is funny though; it's a lot of fluctuations between happy-OK-sad. I've been tremendously happy at points in the last few years. At the moment I'm a bit sad; I'm often not too sure I've made the right decision with my career, the whole Covid-19 situation has hugely affected my career/travel plans for the next year which I was pretty excited about and unfortunately am significantly less excited about the alternative, and I've only recently emerged from a serious, long-term relationship that used to make me extremely happy.

I hope I'm happy again soon. I guess I'll see how things are going in another five years.

Advertisement