Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dry Suit

• 12-11-2004 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I need to buy a dry suit as the water is too fecken cold. Any suggestions for a starter suit. I don't mind something that will need ot be replaced in 3 years or so if it's cheap. Can anybody make a good suggestion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭donny

The Otter britannic is meant to be an excellent suit http://www.drysuits.co.uk/britanic.html

The Gates/Hunter (whichever they are now) Pro VSN 1100 is also meant to be extremely good.
    http://www.sixbiz.com/cgi-bin/checkitout/bhb03/checkitout.cgi?bhb03STORE:CKIE:PRO-VSN%201100++++CATEGORY

Neither are particularly cheap.

I think my next suit will be an o'three http://www.othree.co.uk/
    Their suits seem very good.

At the moment I have a Typhoon
    http://www.typhoon-int.co.uk/products/products_detail.cfm?ProductID=2678&ProductTypeID=11&CategoryID=1

Its not a bad beginner suit and I've been quite lucky with it although I think I've finally developed 2 leaks somewhere. I've had it for 4+ years now. It does tend to trap a lot of air which moves around a bit and my shoulder dump isn't in the best location but that might just be my suit.

The typhoon would work out a lot cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭bigfeller

I bought and ex-school suit this year - only used for one season (have to replece their gear every year). Has served me pretty well for the season (apart from both valves being clogged with salt - nothing that €1.29 in vinegar didn't sort out). The one I got was this http://www.diveshop.co.uk/pages/drysuits/divemaster.html Cost €400. Bought a new wolly bear to go with.

Hmmm...diving in Killary tomorrow. Hope those dump valve repairs work!!!

Thats meant to be quite a good suit too from what I hear. €400 isn't bad for it either. If you're buying an ex rental I'd recommend a dive in it first before you buy it to check for obvious leaks.

I think I'm diving the Julia T Sunday afternoon...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

donny wrote:
    I think I'm diving the Julia T Sunday afternoon...

So how do you stay awake?
    ;)

heheh... ah the Julia T isn't the worst. Lots of bottom time. Gonna pick a buddy that doesn't have a leaky drysuit and wants to go up after 10 mins this time

Note I said afternoon... think we'll be heading out for "a pint" after the Leigh Bishop talk so mightn't be the brightest first thing on Sunday morning

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Scubachick

HI Evil Phill,
    Kilkee Dive Centre are getting their hands on some slightly (cosmetically) imperfect dry suits shortly. These will be sold at below cost price, so it would seem to be a great deal.

As to the type of suit to go for, I am sure you are aware that there are two basic types of dry suit: Membrane (bag) and Neoprene. My first dry was a bag suit. Less restriction, more freedom of movement and you can pile up on the clothes underneath to suit various water tempertaures. However, the major advantage I found with a bag suit is that if they leak there is little or no thermal protection. I recently got a compressed neoprene drysuit. A little less movement, but on a par with a wet suit. Now if my dry suit leaks (which is hasn't!) I have a semi-dry. I am much warmer on dives and more comfortable.

HTH
    Scubachick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Scubachick wrote:
    Now if my dry suit leaks (which is hasn't!) I have a semi-dry. I am much warmer on dives and more comfortable.

As with all neopreme suits as you go deeper you loose thermal protection. Fine if you're staying shallow but not great if you're going deep....

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

Scubachick wrote:
    However, the major advantage I found with a bag suit is that if they leak there is little or no thermal protection

You are so right, no termal protection in a bag suit BUT add a good undersuit and you are wrong, just had to say it :) sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

Evil Phil wrote:
    Folks,

I need to buy a dry suit as the water is too fecken cold. Any suggestions for a starter suit. I don't mind something that will need ot be replaced in 3 years or so if it's cheap. Can anybody make a good suggestion?

How about E-bay, Phil ? PM me if you find something.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I've already had an outstanding offer form dublinbay but I'm too broke. Have to save meh pennies. When I'm in a position to buy a suit I'll discuss it here first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 paddywhack

"Leigh Bishop talk" ?? Sorry I am outside the thread but can you tell me more. I like the photos he has taken etc and didn't realised he did "talks".

On the Drysuit side of things SDW sell used dry suits, have you spoken to them?.

Finally, Hello! This is my first post on this bulletin site. I dive in SDW whenever I can, mostly Sundays so I may have met some of you already in passing, and maybe again.

Hi paddywhack

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

I just did the same and bought one on ebay for £90 and is a Beaver Neoprane Drysuit. It is in the post so i will know more soon but it cant be too bad of a deal for that price? Next up is a BCD...now the looking starts for me!
    Gibo

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7121010712&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOAB:UK:6

Looks like a bargain :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 paddywhack

£91.00 for a drysuit is a fantastic bargain.

He is selling it because his wife doesn't want him to dive anymore. That is shocking!!!!!.

Surely you feel bad being a party to such a tragic state of affairs.

This must be a thread in its own right. What do you do if the love of your life doesn't want you to dive anymore????

Advertisement