Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Scottish Trip

• 22-04-2019 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Four of us are looking at going to Scotland next year on a short golfing break. Looking at playing;

Old Course
    Carnoustie
    Kingsbarn

I just emailed yourgolftravel.com for a quote for the start of July 2020.

Questions:
    Has anyone done this previously?
    If so, did you book it independently or through an agent?
    What was the rough cost in total?
    Any other recommendations?

Many thanks,
    80s

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Only went to St Andrews with the family a few years back, but had to play 2 courses there (Old and choice of another). This may scupper your plan a little, unless you play early in year Where can just do Old Course.

Golf came in roughly 5-600 pounds (3 of us playing, so think was around 200 For two rounds), accommodation for 4 people was like £900 at Fairmont(roughly 100 per person per night) which was actually decent as was 3 nights. That could likely be done cheaper too with airbnb.

There's then ferry/plane costs, so 2-300 all in there (parents drove with golf gear, myself and brother flew). Again, flights/ferry and accommodation were for 4 people, golf for 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

80s Child wrote: »
    Hi,

Four of us are looking at going to Scotland next year on a short golfing break. Looking at playing;

Old Course
    Carnoustie
    Kingsbarn

Questions:

Many thanks,
    80s

This gives you the info for booking the Old Course

https://www.standrews.com/Play/Courses/Old-Course/Booking-the-Old-Course/

• Registered Users Posts: 4 davecronin

80s Child wrote: »
    Hi,

Old Course
    Carnoustie
    Kingsbarn

Questions:

Many thanks,
    80s

We did a trip there last year but we went earlier in the year in April. We booked everything independently as booking one of the guaranteed times on the old course was expensive with an agent.

We had booked the trip from Sunday - Thursday so had to deal with the ballot for the Old Course. I saw on Carnoustie's website that they had a deal for a 4ball for £560 so I called them and booked two of these for the Sunday as there is no golf on the Old Course on Sundays.

Before we left on the Saturday I entered us in the ballot for the Old Course to play on Monday. Thankfully on Sunday I checked the website and I could see that both groups got tee times on Monday morning for 6:50 and 7:00am.

The only downside really with the ballot is that we were unable to pre book any rounds on any other courses as we didn't know what date or if we were going to get to play the Old Course.

We didn't get to play Kingsbarn but we made up the remainder of the trip with Muirfield and North Berwick which were superb.

We also stayed in Dundee which is 13 miles from Carnoustie and about the same from St. Andrews. Definitely not as nice as St. Andrews but it was a fraction of the price and we had rented a mini bus so transport was not a problem.

I'd imagine July will be extremely busy over there so if you're hell bent on going then I think you will probably be best to go down the agent route but be prepared to pay for this.

The entire cost for us was about €1100 for golf, transport and accommodation.

If you want anymore information or have any questions then let me know. We are just back from a trip to the other coast (King Robert the Bruce, Ailsa, Royal Troon, Western Gailes and Dundonald Links).

Advertisement