Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Idiot motorcyclists on the roads.

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

seagull wrote: »
    Note the all important word in the OP - SOME. That does not mean ALL or even MOST of the bikers he encountered were acting the maggot. Are you honestly trying to tell me you've never encountered a number of arsehole bikers on a nice sunny day?

I have of course, but I encounter arsehole drivers EVERY day and I don't feel the need to start a thread on it calling them idiots in the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,375 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

zubair wrote: »
    What a generalisation and as a "former biker", you're a worse ambassador for bikers with the thread title than those riders you mentioned. Please don't claim to be a biker again, you're not.

You could be describing any type of driver or rider here. Why don't you all go look at the dashcams thread where boardies love to show us poor driving and show me any bikers on it, there's none, it's full of your fellow car drivers.

I drove a bike daily for years when I didn't even own a car. I know what I'm talking about. Your butthurt is hilarious. "YOURE NOT A BIKER MAAAN" Read the original post, it's obviously from my own perspective on what I witnessed on the roads last weekend. This isn't an "us versus them" thread or "cars versus bikes" one. You can be both a car driver and a biker, 99% who drive bikes do it for recreation and own a car too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,823 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

skallywag wrote: »
    IThat said, the accident report stated that the two lads were doing well in excess of 100 mph when they collided, they came around a bend on the wrong side of the road and hit the other vehicle which was traveling at 60 mph, there was little or no time for anyone to brake. The guards at least were in no doubt that the driver would have been killed if not for the the bull bars.

Doubt any garda is qualified to make such a statement, but hey. The physics don't make sense either, a bike weighs 200kg for a sports bike, not that many are over 250kg, even at 100mph that doesn't begin to compare with the momentum of a car weighing 1500-2500kg doing say 50.

Not defending those guys. But there's plenty of people including bikers who get killed by cars going onto the wrong side of the road.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭skallywag

Doubt any garda is qualified to make such a statement, but hey. The physics don't make sense either, a bike weighs 200kg for a sports bike, not that many are over 250kg, even at 100mph that doesn't begin to compare with the momentum of a car weighing 1500-2500kg doing say 50.

Not defending those guys. But there's plenty of people including bikers who get killed by cars going onto the wrong side of the road.

I take your point that the cops may not be officially qualified to make such statements, but what they did have in this case was past experience.

The route where this happened is well known for bikers racing from a specific pub into a fixed point in a neighbouring city, and there have been several crashes at various points along the way throughout the years. So the guards on duty in this region have unfortunately had the misfortune of coming on such a scene on quite a few occasions.

I agree with you completely that the cars in the opposite direction are also at fault just as often, and I'm certainly not on some type of crusade to bash bikers. What I can tell you with certainty though is that there have been crashes on the same road where bikers have hit cars at high speed, and the car itself has been severely damaged by the impact, with the occupants being killed on more than one occasion.

I drove a bike daily for years when I didn't even own a car. I know what I'm talking about. Your butthurt is hilarious. "YOURE NOT A BIKER MAAAN" Read the original post, it's obviously from my own perspective on what I witnessed on the roads last weekend. This isn't an "us versus them" thread or "cars versus bikes" one. You can be both a car driver and a biker, 99% who drive bikes do it for recreation and own a car too.

Not butt hurt and not saying you didn't see what you saw. I'm just saying don't claim to be a biker when you start a thread in the motors forum with this subject. We both know you'd be considered trolling if you posted this in the motorbike forum, where your post actually has more relevance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭skallywag

zubair wrote: »
    ...I'm just saying don't claim to be a biker when you start a thread in the motors forum with this subject....

So if someone rode a bike for years previously and just doesn't happen to ride one daily at the moment they are not actually bikers. Is that your point?

My point is, bikers don't start threads like this in car forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Are you an accident investigator, or do you have experience of accident scenes?
    If not, I think a guard who does is a lot more qualified than you to give that opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Have done a fair bit of driving over this weekend, the lovely weather has all the bikers out which is great to see. I’m a former biker myself and I understand the risks involved, most of the time you’re looking out for idiot car drivers.

But I have to say, the level of absolute insane driving I’ve seen from some bikers this weekend is shocking. Overtaking on double yellows around bends on main roads, others well in excess of 100mph on motorways, overtaking and undertaking, general dangerous driving, tailgating, pushing cars up the toad. Just shocking.

I know it’s the first weekend of sun and you’re going to have a lot of bikers out for the first time this year, I’m just waiting on the bad news that someone will die this weekend. It’s absolutely predictable.

Slow down.

Over taking on double yellow lines, that I would like to see......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

ZX7R wrote: »
    Over taking on double yellow lines, that I would like to see......

I've seen it in other countries with double yellow. Here you go( It's not really interesting though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,823 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

fullstop wrote: »
    If not, I think a guard who does is a lot more qualified than you to give that opinion.

Was the garda concerned an accident investigator? Chances are, no.

Even if he was, how could he predict what would have happened if the illegal accessory (bull bar) had not been fitted?

How could he know the effect in a crash of an illegal accessory which has not been crash tested?

Bull bars are cosmetic, not structural (can still drastically increase the risks of pedestrian death, though.)

Life ain't always empty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

fullstop wrote: »

Was the garda concerned an accident investigator? Chances are, no.

Even if he was, how could he predict what would have happened if the illegal accessory (bull bar) had not been fitted?

How could he know the effect in a crash of an illegal accessory which has not been crash tested?

Bull bars are cosmetic, not structural (can still drastically increase the risks of pedestrian death, though.)

I call bullsh*t fullstop.
    What experience as an accident investigator can the Gard draw on? What data did he reference?
    Do you have an example of a crash test where it was proven that bullbars protect the occupant of a vehicle in this exact scenario?
    Who fitted the bar, what make and model was it? How was it fitted? Was it one of those wobbly Amazon specials?
    We (and the Gard) haven't an arseholes clue how and if the bullbars protected the occupant.
    What we do have ample data on is the fact that bullbars serve only one single purpose and that is to kill and maim anyone unfortunate enough to come in contact with a vehicle fitted with these things. And the people who fit them know that and are ok with it. I would have them for reckless endangerment.
    They are a poser cock extension for idiots who should be banned fullstop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Have done a fair bit of driving over this weekend, the lovely weather has all the bikers out which is great to see. I’m a former biker myself and I understand the risks involved, most of the time you’re looking out for idiot car drivers.

But I have to say, the level of absolute insane driving I’ve seen from some bikers this weekend is shocking. Overtaking on double yellows around bends on main roads, others well in excess of 100mph on motorways, overtaking and undertaking, general dangerous driving, tailgating, pushing cars up the toad. Just shocking.

I know it’s the first weekend of sun and you’re going to have a lot of bikers out for the first time this year, I’m just waiting on the bad news that someone will die this weekend. It’s absolutely predictable.

Slow down.

the level of driving from some bikers is of course terrible, just like all road users, but it's hardly new news is it, so it's not shocking at all

Some people get bikes with the wish to burn around on them

For me, most lads on bikes seem to be middle aged or older and are if anything cautious out.

Across the board, the level of driving in cars is way worse, but just not typically as lary as the power just isn't there to have the craic

Advertisement