Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hybrid Japanese import Honda/Toyota opinion

Options
  • 20-04-2019 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

I am looking for an advice here.
    We have a budget of c. Euro 8/9k.
    In dublin, ballymount/naas area there are at least two car dealers (Indian guys) offering honda insight or honda fit at this price range. They also have Toyota Prius.

I am not putting any link but they can easily be found on done deal.

I went in and looked at the cars and they are apparently spotless with average 70/80k km.
    Planning to test drive one in the coming days.

Payment should be cash or bank transfer and they offer 3/6 months guarantee.
    I am very tempted.
    Next week I am going to check with my insurance about any premium increase.

What do you think are the major risks of buying from these dealers and imported Japanese cars?

Has anyone here had any experience?
    Very few reviews on internet.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

If you're looking at the Insight of that era, have a look at the Civic Hybrid (aka IMA) too. All round it's a slightly better car (better trim levels), and you should be able to get a non-Japanese import too, meaning no problems with servicing, or the in car entertainment. And you should be able to get a similar year/mileage slightly cheaper. The Insight is slightly over priced imho, as it looks like a Prius somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭greasepalm

What worries me with jap imports is are parts readily available.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

The Prius information unit is in Japanese. Dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭cargen

I liked the honda fit/jazz.
    I will look for some Irish/UK car.

What type of mileage will do a car like this.
    I saw few cars for 7/8k with 100k km.
    Do they go to 200k?

Any major service needed like timing belt?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Chippy01

Personally, I would look at UK import or Irish versions of the cars you mentioned. Try to find one with as full a service history as possible though.

The Gen 3 Prius has no belts that need changing during servicing, and check if all of the recalls have ben done. A friendly Toyota dealer can check this if you can get the VIN. You'll probably get better mileage from the Prius as well.

Can't help you with the Jazz (Fit is a Jap import), except that it doesn't come with a spare wheel of any description, just a tyre repair kit. Useless really if a tyre gets a slash in it.

I do know that the hybrid Civic has 8 long life spark plugs fitted that should be changed at around 100,000, and they themselves are not cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Chippy01 wrote: »
    I do know that the hybrid Civic has 8 long life spark plugs fitted that should be changed at around 100,000, and they themselves are not cheap.

72k miles. Not cheap here for some reason, but cheap elsewhere. Last set I got were $8 apiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

Jap Import prius can have their firmware flashed to English, which means an English instrument panel. And can be fitted with a double din Xtrons android 8 head unit which will hook up to your steering wheel controls.

But with all Jap imports, factor in changing the tyres immediately.

I bought one which had "snow tyres" on the Japanese auction sheet, but they were obviously changed to EU approved part worns, likely by the dealer here.
    The ones I have need immediate changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

rgodard80a wrote: »
    Jap Import prius can have their firmware flashed to English, which means an English instrument panel.

I know this is done in the UK and NZ, but are there people who do this in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

I know this is done in the UK and NZ, but are there people who do this in Ireland?

I got mine done by the dealer.

But there's a year old Adverts ad offering the same here : https://www.adverts.ie/other-cars-motorbikes-boats/toyota-prius-japanese-to-english-language-convesion-change/14929515

Where the seller was active a week ago.
    But I've never used them.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 shirazhyder84

If buying japanese import, request for the auction sheet which would have the grading of the car (usually between 1-5; 5 is the highest). The auction sheet will also confirm the mileage of the car. The dealer/ seller will not have the original auction sheet but should have a copy. When i went to look one the seller showed me the auction sheet which had all the information noted above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭A2fan

Hi
    Can anybody confirm what the difference(s) if any between the Ireland/UK Prius & the Jap Import cars are under the bonnet etc? Is there a reason that the Jap imports seem to be cheaper on a like for like basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭cargen

A2fan wrote: »
    Hi
    Can anybody confirm what the difference(s) if any between the Ireland/UK Prius & the Jap Import cars are under the bonnet etc? Is there a reason that the Jap imports seem to be cheaper on a like for like basis?

I have looked around and 99% of the dealers have Japanese cars.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/18430508

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

A2fan wrote: »
    Hi

Under the bonnet there is no difference, it's the same powertrain configuration in all markets. Trim levels differ, e.g. things like the HUD and LED headlights are less commonly found on a JDM Gen 3 Prius.

Japanese imports have pretty much always been cheaper than Irish/UK used cars because of higher depreciation over there, but also right now the exchange rates are in our favour.

Advertisement