Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All Ireland Senior Hurling (Liam Mccarthy Cup) 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭letsseehere14

Not going to even hazard a guess in Munster, even the two that lost out last year could have qualified very easily if one or two things went their way. We finished 3rd and won the AI. Thats how close it was.

In Leinster, if Dublins form in the league is replicated there is actually a clear path to getting out of Leinster.
    1. Galway win their first 3 matches, beating Carlow, KK, and Wexford. Will need a win in KK which hasnt happend for many in the last 100 years.
    2. Dublin beat Carlow and Wexford. Not impossible as Wexford travel to Parnell Park.
    3. Both Wexford and Kilkenny beat Carlow, Kilkenny beat Dublin.

This means that entering the last round of games Galway will have 6 points, Kilkenny 4, Wexford 2, Dublin 4 and Carlow 0.
    If Galway beat Dublin and KK beat Wexford, Dublin progress
    If Galway beat Dublin and Wexford beat Kilkenny its points difference between KK, Wex and Dub.
    If Dublin, at home to Galway who are already through, get a draw or win, they progress no matter what. Very possible.

My guess is Wexford will beat Kilkenny at home. 3 to go though are Galway, Dublin and Wexford. Thatd be a great Leinster championship for the neutral if it played out like that. That coupled with a unpredictable Munster championship could make for another great year. Remember last year Dublin really should have beaten Kilkenny. If they had, Kilkenny would have lost out on points difference and Dublin could have even made the Leinster final.

I've gone through the fixtures in Munster a few times and with different permutations I have landed on all 5 teams ending up on 4 points each a few times! That would be horrible for the 2 who miss out but I do feel one team at least will fail to get any momentum, just cant say who it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭MfMan

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Kilkenny May 11. And I have to go to a fkn Communion party. So any excuses welcome!

Society's getting really fecked up. Everytime someone opens an envelope now, there's a 2-day party around it. Back in my time, there was no such thing even as a kid's birthday party. Awful the way things are goin'.
    :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Nic_Col wrote: »
    Unless it's your own child's communion you surely can't be expected to to miss out on being there to witness your county being the first to beat Kilkenny at Nowlan Park in the championship since the 1940's?!

I'd back KK myself but I've no doubt this Dublin team will fully believe they can go and win that one and it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

I am googling fatal diseases that are communicable to 7 year olds :)

Can't really miss the Communion and host and at least one other mandatory guest be in same situation as myself. He had suggested a Communion party in either O'Loughlins or Park Inn, but that was knocked back :(

Am quietly confident. Last year in Parnell was great occasion. Packed house and a right few turned away. Expect it be similar on May 11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

robbiezero wrote: »
    Wouldn't agree. No evidence Waterford are at that level yet. I thought they were very poor in the league final and Limerick should have absolutely hosed but for wastefulness. They had a very unlucky year last year with all the injuries, but I would be surprised if they have enough to be in the top 3 in Munster this year.

Tipp v Cork is a critical game for both counties. I think the loser of that will be out of the championship after the group stages. The loser will have to either beat Clare in Ennis or Limerick which will be a big ask as well as beating Waterford.

They beat them twice this year, unless the league doesn't count in which case your reason for writing them off is also void

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭robbiezero

They beat them twice this year, unless the league doesn't count in which case your reason for writing them off is also void

Galway have been the best or 2nd best team in the country for the last 3 years. Waterford have not been at that level in the same time (I don't think they were the 2nd best team in the country in 2017) and a couple of league wins over Galway whose league form tends to be very patchy especially in the group stages doesn't suddenly mean Waterford are on the same level as them.
    Galway are 10/3 for the All-Ireland, Waterford are 12/1 which sounds about right.

I didn't write Waterford off at all, just said there is no evidence at the present time that they are on the same level as Galway which I certainly believe to be the case and I do think the league final might have been a bit of a reality check for them after a decent league (like it has been for Tipp in the last 2 years).

Who knows what might happen in the upcoming championship, Galway might go backwards from previous years, injuries and absences could have a huge effect and Waterford might push on, but all we have to go on is past form.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Fully expect Galway to go backwards (only my opinion of course). They're relying on the same lads with the last 5 years and Canning is a big loss. Don't see too many new additions in there to revitalise them.

Got to the final last year, even at that there was a notable regression compared to the year before. Waterford had a bad year last year, unforgiving nature of the new format exposed that.

But there was a puck of a ball in it 2017, and 2016 they were less than that away from playing Tipp in the final. And the year before that they were in the semi final. All forgotten too easily I think when we look at past form.

Suppose time will tell anyway, jury's still out on the new management setup too and whether some of the younger players will progress.

Championship is king I know that well, but at the same time there's never been more than a puck of the ball either way in Waterford's 7 league/championship meetings since 2014. To me I think, that's a fair measure to say there's not a huge amount between them.

I would agree with that, having seen Dublin play both.

Not an infallible guide obviously but thought Waterford looked very dangerous, and they have been piling up huge scores, average of just under three goals per game in the division.

I would say that their performance in the league final says more about Limerick and how good they are, and a bit ahead of the pack, than any real deficiency on the part of Waterford. Draw favours them a bit more this year perhaps. Game against Limerick should be cracker. Fancy Waterford to reach Munster final whether they win or lose that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Fully expect Galway to go backwards (only my opinion of course). They're relying on the same lads with the last 5 years and Canning is a big loss. Don't see too many new additions in there to revitalise them.

Got to the final last year, even at that there was a notable regression compared to the year before. Waterford had a bad year last year, unforgiving nature of the new format exposed that.

But there was a puck of a ball in it 2017, and 2016 they were less than that away from playing Tipp in the final. And the year before that they were in the semi final. All forgotten too easily I think when we look at past form.

Suppose time will tell anyway, jury's still out on the new management setup too and whether some of the younger players will progress.

Championship is king I know that well, but at the same time there's never been more than a puck of the ball either way in Waterford's 7 league/championship meetings since 2014. To me I think, that's a fair measure to say there's not a huge amount between them.

Generally it's a fairly young Galway team but some like David Burke do have a lot of miles on the clock. We do have a big problem conceding soft goals, if(and it's a big if) we can eliminate that we will be there or thereabouts. Haven't found anyone to go straight into the team but Hussey, Grealish and Morrissey are good additions to the squad and should be used, last year mgt didn't seem to have any faith in the bench.

If Waterford had home games last year I think they would have come thru Munster, it's great they have them this time and they will be dangerous, the new manager has managed to refocus them, and I think on their day they will give anyone a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Galway will have two new starters for sure in Flannery and Grealish and it wouldn't amaze me it all if Shane Cooney or Kevin Hussey nailed down a place as the summer went on

To add to that Cathal Mannion is playing the hurling of his life as is Davy Glennon, who is around a while but not a traditional starter and one who I think will really push for a starting forward spot

There's been also some new exciting additions to the panel in Evan Niland and Darragh Burke who could well come into the reckoning

• Registered Users Posts: 37,758 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The calendar needs to be looked at and maybe put back a few weeks

Some counties will have no intercoutny action after the 2nd weekend in bloody June.

Imo this new calendar is killing the GAA. The Championships are competing with the ends of the Soccer, rugby seasons and other things like festivals, comunnions/confirmations etc.

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The calendar needs to be looked at and maybe put back a few weeks

Some counties will have no intercoutny action after the 2nd weekend in bloody June.

Imo this new calendar is killing the GAA. The Championships are competing with the ends of the Soccer, rugby seasons and other things like festivals, comunnions/confirmations etc.

I was glad the Communion got me out of going after what happened!

Compressing the season is massive marketing fail. Good crowd in Cork and even that was down on sell outs that were the norm for Tipp/cork games, but other venues obviously hit by all the other stuff going on.

The usual borefest of the EPL ended in a bit of excitement, which could not be foreseen, but a bit disturbing that so many people prefer watching that cr@p on the TV instead of their own neighbours playing hurling or football, or soccer for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

there are clearly people making decisions in HQ that don't have a clue about the natural rythym of country GAA supporters

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

There is the making of some great matches tomorrow.
    Waterford, Cork and Dublin are all under serious pressure already; lose and they mostly like will not qualify out of their provinces. Will Tipp be as impressive as last week? And will Limerick continue on from where they left off.

I expect Tipp and Limerick to win, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't. Not sure between Wexford and Dublin

Dublin and Wexford should be a belter. Dublin need to bring their Big Boys pants as Fitz will have Wexford psyched up to the nines.

I assume the team named will not start. A few chaps need to redeem themselves from last week's collapse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

Fancy Dublin tomorrow, they won't fear Wexford like they did the cats. The two Munster games, toss a coin as ever. If I had to choose, I'd go with Tipp and Cork. Hope Carlow give a good display tomorrow as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,758 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

This BS early championship calendar is working out for the GAA as they are attracting younger top standard players over too the US/Canada/Australia etc too play with clubs for the summer when there IC teams are out of the all Ireland and there clubs agree too hold off fixtures

Fancy Dublin tomorrow, they won't fear Wexford like they did the cats. The two Munster games, toss a coin as ever. If I had to choose, I'd go with Tipp and Cork. Hope Carlow give a good display tomorrow as well.

Not much about Carlow's performance last week. Salthill is a hard place to go, and they put up a great fight. Dublin played them twice, in Walsh and league, and they are a tough nut to crack. We certainly won't be looking forward to going down there if we need a win to stay up!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Two Munster games on TV today. Would it really cost RTE that much to stream one of the other games on the player? Useless shower

• Registered Users Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭threeball

Two Munster games on TV today. Would it really cost RTE that much to stream one of the other games on the player? Useless shower

Rte don't have the rights to the game. If you were to complain about anyone it would be sky as it seems the Leinster championship is mainly under their contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

If your talking about football, it’s unbearable to watch. Watched Cavan / Monaghan last night, great win for Cavan but the game was utter rubbish to watch, The hurling is more enjoyable but I’m
    Finding now every game is a shoot out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

threeball wrote: »
    Rte don't have the rights to the game. If you were to complain about anyone it would be sky as it seems the Leinster championship is mainly under their contract.

I don't think that's right. RTE seem to have their pick of the Sunday matches and they are choosing the two Munster games today.

It all still comes back to the GAA increasing the amount of games in the championship but not the amount of games that are broadcast. Broadcasters are going to go with what gets them the biggest audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

C__MC wrote: »
    If your talking about football, it’s unbearable to watch. Watched Cavan / Monaghan last night, great win for Cavan but the game was utter rubbish to watch, The hurling is more enjoyable but I’m
    Finding now every game is a shoot out.

Thoroughly enjoyed that game last night, intriguing stuff throughout. On the other hand, I found Tipp-Cork quite boring last week due to the non-existent defending and inevitable result throughout. But each to their own I guess.

Hoping that Limerick-Cork will be the game to light up the Munster championship, its been pretty run of the mill so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Thoroughly enjoyed that game last night, intriguing stuff throughout. On the other hand, I found Tipp-Cork quite boring last week due to the non-existent defending and inevitable result throughout. But each to their own I guess.

Hoping that Limerick-Cork will be the game to light up the Munster championship, its been pretty run of the mill so far

This one is a bit of a yawn so far too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Advantage ref ffs

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

KK beating Carlow 2-6 to 0-2 after 20 minutes.

Dublin 0-8 Wexford 0-5

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Wex 0-9 Dub 0-8

Tipp racking up a nice score here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Tipperary cruising again this week,no reflection on them that this RTE Munster Hurling overload is already boring.

Carlow 0-3 KK 3-9

Dublin 0-10 Wexford 0-10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

Tipp are flying but I’d like to see them in a nitty gritty game where it’s tight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Tipp struggled for large parts of that game especially when the game was in the melting pot. Waterford ran out of steam and errors let tipp off the hook and when tipp get on top they can be devastating. Expecting the next game to have alot more intensity to it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement