Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pi to some ridicolous amount of digits..

• 14-03-2019 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-47524760

Somwhat interesting ...

The value of the number pi has been calculated to a new world record length of 31 trillion digits, far past the previous record of 22 trillion.

Emma Haruka Iwao, a Google employee from Japan, found the new digits with the help of the company's cloud computing service.

Pi is the number you get when you divide a circle's circumference by its diameter.

The first digits, 3.14, are well known but the number is infinitely long.

Extending the known sequence of digits in pi is very difficult because the number follows no set pattern.

Pi is used in engineering, physics, supercomputing and space exploration - because its value can be used in calculations for waves, circles and cylinders.

The pursuit of longer versions of pi is a long-standing pastime among mathematicians. And Ms Iwao said she had been fascinated by the number since she had been a child.

The calculation required 170TB of data (for comparison, 200,000 music tracks take up 1TB) and took 25 virtual machines 121 days to complete.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I'd love to see the distribution of digits in those 31 trillion (as in is there roughly 3.1 trillion of each of 0-9?) I might google it later on after work.

Edit : I found an analysis of the first 10m digits, and they are (within statistical acceptability) evenly distributed : https://blogs.sas.com/content/iml/2015/03/12/digits-of-pi.html

I guess the one certainty is the last digit won't be zero:D

Advertisement