Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended TV Shows - Podcasts etc

• 16-01-2019 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,577 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

There's a lot of true crime around these days so it might be a good idea to have a thread for recommendations for shows which won't have their own dedicated thread.

Wild Wild Country - Netflix
    about the Rajneeshee Cult who moved to America in the late 80's - Bizarre story which get's stranger as it goes along.

Murder Mountain - Netflix
    A look at an area in Hunboldt County in California known as Murder Mountain. Locals are very much outlaws in the Wild West where people regularly go missing. Lots of Marijuana is produced here both legally and illegally.

Abducted in Plain Sight - Netflix
    Just added on Netflix - Bizarre story about a girl who was kidnapped by her neighbour...twice!

Homicide Hunter - CI
    Love a bit of homicide hunter with Joe Kenda - a retired detective with a great record of solving crimes. Multiple episodes available on Skygo.

Follow true Crime daily and Buzzfeed unsolved on Youtube - they usually have really good content.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

There's a Ted Bundy doc to be released on Netflix soon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Forensic Files on Netflix. Each episode is around 24 mins and there are hundreds of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Murder On CCTV on Quest Red.

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 17,577 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    There's a Ted Bundy doc to be released on Netflix soon

Added today, hopefully get started on this tonight.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Anyone listening to a podcast called "Cold"? Pretty good, if a bit long winded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭tinpib

Just in case anyone doesn't know about "The First 48" TV series from A&E in the States and on C&I here, I fink.

All hour long TV episodes so approx 42 mins long each. Very simply a fly on the wall doc with the doc crew embedded in Homicide departments in the US. They follow each murder case from when the call comes in to its conclusion, whatever that may be. Each episode either has just 1 case, which is better, or 2 per episode which feels a bit rushed.

Gripping stuff. Started in 2004 and the new ones are probably some of the best ever as they have perfected the format over the years, IMO.

385 episodes according to IMDB, I reckon I've seen about 360 and apart from some of the latest ones I've only missed the others by accident.

It's a brilliant, brilliant series. I am glued to every episode.

There were a few on Netflix back in the day but sadly no more. Kodi etc is your best bet. Some dodgy copies are on YouTube with the video distorted so they don' get taken down.

edit: just to say I hadn't heard about Forensic Files before reading this thread, so just want to pay it forward. I'm just here to raise awareness, if I can just help out one person then it will have all been worth it :P

Sounds great, had never heard of that. Thanks for the tip!

BTW, The Ted Bundy series on Netflix is excellent. Really well produced and fascinating to hear Bundy talking on tape. The man was an absolute psychopath.

Finished the Bundy Doc last night, thought it was very good.

Fascinating character I suppose he redefined what a murderer was, he showed that a mass murderer, a compete psychopath was able to be charming, function in everyday life, get educated, get a job and hold down relationships. In a way he was the most unlikeliest perpetrator. Came across as harmless, friendly & funny when in reality he was a psychopathic narcissist. The ultimate boogie man.

When seeing him on the doc it's hard to imagine that he was responsible for such carnage. The trial tapes were bizarre, he showed very little emotion, obviously had no conscience. Felt sorry for the mother, didn't want to believe her son could be responsible. I'd like to see further into his upbringing, there must have been something in his childhood which corrupted his mind.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

Casefile is an excellent podcast. Their 3 part episodes on the Yorkshire ripper and the moors murders are a good place to start I reckon.

marketty wrote: »
    Casefile is an excellent podcast. Their 3 part episodes on the Yorkshire ripper and the moors murders are a good place to start I reckon.

Its the best. The 3-parter on the Silk Road was also particularly good. Superb, in fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Another fan of Casefile here..Steadily working my way through them..probably could have picked a better time to listen to the Weepy Voice Killer than last thing before i went asleep last night :)

Very easy voice to listen to too..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Also listening to the "Up and Vanished" podcast aast the moment..about the disappearance of a school teacher called Tara Grinstead..
    Accents are class.. :)
    Still not sure what to make of it as a podcast..

Forgot to add there are ads you have to keep skipping too on this..

Casefile is fantastic, favourite episodes would be silk Road, jonestown, East area rapist, Jennifer Pan & the toy box of the ones I've listened to, need to listen to more of them.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Just started listening to casefile yesterday. Started off with episode 1 Wanda Beach Murders and while I found it a little long I really enjoyed the approach and the hosts voice is really relaxing. I'll be taking some of the above recomendations.

I listened to the latest one too - Peter Nielsen, bit anoyingly I hadn't realised part 2 hadn't come out yet.This will make a nice change to my usual commuting Netflix :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I posted the below in the Podcast Forum as well.

Two new True Crime Podcasts have been released recently.

Conviction by Gimlet media. All episodes are available now. I've listened to the first episode and it's interesting so far.

Over My Dead Body is the latest series from Wondery, the same team that made Dirty John and Dr. Death. There's only one episode of this one released so far, I haven't listened to it yet so can't comment on whether it's interesting or not.

Watched the Dirty John documentary on Netflix. Nothing new here if you've already listened to the podcast and watched the show.

There's interviews with the family, ex wives, old friends and law enforcement. Worth a watch if you were interested in the case.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Anyone listening to Red Handed? really enjoying it, wasn't sure at first but its really grown on me.

For anyone who's interested in Irish history around the troubles the miami Showband Massacre is a good watch on Netflix.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

The latest episode of the podcast Mens Rea focuses on the murder of Suzanne Capper. I wasn’t familiar with the case, I think it happened around the same time as the James Bulger murder and so didn’t get as much attention as it deserved.
    Holy god, I don’t think I’ve ever heard anything as brutal. It’s very detailed and and for the faint hearted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ariadne

The latest episode of the podcast Mens Rea focuses on the murder of Suzanne Capper. I wasn’t familiar with the case, I think it happened around the same time as the James Bulger murder and so didn’t get as much attention as it deserved.
    Holy god, I don’t think I’ve ever heard anything as brutal. It’s very detailed and and for the faint hearted.

I listened to it yesterday and I'm well used to watching murder shows/listening to podcasts and I found that one tough to listen to I must say. That poor girl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Succubus_ wrote: »
    I listened to it yesterday and I'm well used to watching murder shows/listening to podcasts and I found that one tough to listen to I must say. That poor girl.

I’m the same. Feel like I’ve heard it all at this stage but that was particularly tough to listen to. The poor poor girl. Found myself looking up loads about it afterwards too. Can’t believe I hadn’t heard of it.

Tv show but based on a true story "when they see us" on Netflix is really good. Based around the wrongful conviction of 5 kids for an assault in Central Park. Wasn't aware of this. Few good documentaries on this one also.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Tv show but based on a true story "when they see us" on Netflix is really good. Based around the wrongful conviction of 5 kids for an assault in Central Park. Wasn't aware of this. Few good documentaries on this one also.

The TV series is incredible, everything about it is amazing.

The Prosecution attorney has since been dropped from her board roles, dropped from publishers and bookstores are pulling her books from shelves.

Here's an interesting perspective on the Central Park 5 from the other victims.

https://www.thecut.com/2019/06/the-attackers-other-victims-in-the-central-park-five-case.html

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭voldejoie

I'm really enjoying 22 Hours, which is a deep dive into the DC mansion murders: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/22-hours-an-american-nightmare/id1461511691

It's very well done, there are 3 episodes so far with new episodes on Mondays!

Also recently discovered Crime Junkie and listened to a really interesting episode about the Austin yogurt shop murders: https://crimejunkiepodcast.com/austin-yogurt-shop-murders/ I hadn't heard of the case before, it's so fcuking sad and I can't believe it's still unsolved :(

If you enjoyed that, check out the Ken Burns documentary on it from 2012. Excellent stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Goalpurse

Case file is my number one and has been since the beginning 🙌

I use the app castbox for all my podcasts and also listen to

sword & scale - they have actual 911 calls and interviews tapes for the most part and isn’t narrated as heavily as most.

They walk among us

And UK True Crime podcast.

The two last mentioned post every week unlike some others that can be a little inconsistent 🙂

I’ve just subscribed to some of the mentioned above. Can’t wait to binge. I’m all caught up on the ones I listen to

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭voldejoie

pc7 wrote: »
    Anyone listening to Red Handed? really enjoying it, wasn't sure at first but its really grown on me.

I was just coming to post the same thing! Took me a few episodes to get into but really enjoying it now. Love their take on the cases I'm familiar with, and there are a few they've covered that I hadn't heard of so I'll be going down the rabbit hole!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭tinpib

I stumbled upon this by accident last night. It's a no-budget doc on the death of Stuart Lubbock at Michael Barrymore's house.

As I get older I really take everything I see/read with a pinch of salt.

I had only a rough idea of what happened so it's good for giving more detail. Who knows what's true or what's not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

pc7 wrote: »

Same! I listened to the first episode on Castbox, wasn’t a case but they were locked in the cupboard :pac: and the sound quality put me off. I didn’t go back to it for a while, but I was pleased to hear that all the subsequent episodes are much improved, am absolutely addicted to it now.
    I had already binged all of Crime Junkie’s episodes and love them too, but I think I prefer Red Handed.

They’re hilarious while still being respectful to the victims, I love when they go off on rants about the killers.

Advertisement