Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Go-Ahead Ireland & Google Maps

Options
  • 04-01-2019 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

GAI recently took over a local bus route (17a)

Yesterday I had someone visiting and they used Google Maps to get to my house and instead of Maps showing one direct GAI route, it made them take THREE Dublin Buses instead.

This made me realise that after GAI took over the 17a, Google Maps stopped offering it as a valid route you could take. Surely this is gonna cause confusion, esp for tourists.

Is this the case with the other GAI routes? Why did it happen? Is there any way to get this fixed by Google?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Depends on where ever they scrape the data. If it's a Dublin bus source, it's not going to be there anymore.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, i suspect the same - dublin bus probably have someone feeding the info about their services to google maps, and it appears that go-ahead do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Depends on where ever they scrape the data. If it's a Dublin bus source, it's not going to be there anymore.

Google don't scrape the data at all, it's submitted to them in GTFS format by someone in each city. In Ireland, I'm not sure if the submitter is NTA or DB. You could be right that DB have removed those routes from their feed. This page says that both Go-Ahead and GAI work do produce GTFS for Google but it sounds like it's a new thing for them so perhaps it's not working properly yet?

Incidentally, I've found that the times Google Maps shows for DB and Luas are totally untrustworthy. I'm not sure if that's a problem with the underlying data or something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 RuleNumber6

Interestingly all GA services seem to be on Apple Maps. So something Google specific?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Sorry to revive an old thread but this is a real pain point with the new Go-Ahead routes. GoAhead and TFI haven't been all that helpful on Twitter and all we keep hearing is "We're working on it" and "soon".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Surprised Google Maps are still showing Dublin Bus routes. Must be at least 6 months since route maps on the DB website stopped working because they haven't paid their Google API fees. Bit ironic them blathering on about fare evasion when they're not paying their own bills.

Haha yeah, it actually feels a lot longer than six months since Dublin Bus online map stopped working.

It renders Google Maps unusable without having access to the up to date timetables from Go Ahead at least.

I live near the N11, near Stillorgan. My sister coming to visit me was saying that Dundrum is over an hour an a half away because she was using Google Maps and that was telling her to go to Dundrum via town or Leeson Street, rather than the much more convenient No. 75 bus operated by Go-Ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

MOH wrote: »
    Surprised Google Maps are still showing Dublin Bus routes. Must be at least 6 months since route maps on the DB website stopped working because they haven't paid their Google API fees. Bit ironic them blathering on about fare evasion when they're not paying their own bills.
    could they find another map provider that would be cheaper then googles rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Interestingly enough the Dublin Bus routes shown on Google Maps are fully up to date, including the new route 155 (although it was added two weeks prior to it being in service).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Go Ahead buses are now appearing on google maps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Go Ahead buses are now appearing on google maps!

About frickin time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Nice to have the Go Ahead routes up on google maps now!
    Although, google maps still don't show realtime info for any of the stops, only the scheduled time for a service.

Great to see even the 165 operated by Mortons Coaches (Sydney Parade to Citywest) appearing on the map now... Though it's a pity that route is officially finishing on Friday due to lack of demand...

I think if the info had been on the map sooner it would have been a different outcome. Most people just didn't know about it.

Nonetheless, great to see GA-I buses and timetables on Google Maps now!

WOOHOOO

Advertisement