Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Forum Chit-Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Just spotted Zooplus are now stocking Ruffwear gear. This excited me way too much!

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Ah I replied earlier but my reply seems to have disappeared into space lol!!

I got the front harnesses when they came out and they've held up great.. however a few people on a FB group I'm on got them and they didn't last at all but were replaced by Ruffwear. I tend to chop and change what we use but had the ruffwear harnesses on this morning under their ruffwear raincoats... NOW :D.. Lucy's was £20 which had to be a mistake and I was livid I didn't get Bailey the same one regardless of the girly colour but managed to get one for him slightly reduced on Amazon not long after. My friend wanted one and I got it on eBay for €20 less that the rrp woohoo! ... she told her OH it'd gotten it for Bailey and gave it to her because it was too small - rather than tell her him he spent more money on the dog! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Moose has no tolerance for the cold whatsoever. His fur isn’t even nearly as think as my moggies, and he lets everyone know his frustration at being cold in typical Bengal fashion, by screaming. A lot. I just got a zooplus delivery containing a coat for him. If I hear one complaint out of him tomorrow, I give up :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Moose has no tolerance for the cold whatsoever. His fur isn’t even nearly as think as my moggies, and he lets everyone know his frustration at being cold in typical Bengal fashion, by screaming. A lot. I just got a zooplus delivery containing a coat for him. If I hear one complaint out of him tomorrow, I give up :pac:

a photo of Moose in his coat would be very nice :)

oh I hope its the camouflage one!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Hope this attaches okay! It’s a little short for him but bengals are very long cats :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

Oh the cuteness of him!!!! :D

hahaha :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just taken in three young needy cats

They are 2, 5 and 8 on the advert here

https://www.adverts.ie/cats/cats-and-kittens/16304235

To my delight one is clearly a large part Oriental.
    Her cry, her slight build.

And totally affectionate. Headbutts me constantly.

All safely neutered before I brought them over and safe inside the while.... racing up and down the corridor..

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Has anyone ever seen signs that say “no dogs beyond this point” or something similar?

https://www.hooverwebdesign.com/free-printables/signs/free-printable-no-dogs-allowed-sign.html

Found this which seems to be a free printable pdf if any use ?

• Advertisement

Happy early Christmas to me! What did I buy you ask? Clothes? Shoes? A new gadget?...NO... A new floor cleaner :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

tk123 wrote:
    Happy early Christmas to me! What did I buy you ask? Clothes? Shoes? A new gadget?...NO... A new floor cleaner

What one did you get that has you so boastful lol?!

Bells21 wrote: »
    What one did you get that has you so boastful lol?!

I got a bissel crosswave. ...With vouchers from work so technically it only cost me €30 ... is what I keep telling myself lol

OMFG we’re scumbags! :( curiosity got the better of me and I tried it :eek:

tk123 wrote:
    I got a bissel crosswave. ...With vouchers from work so technically it only cost me €30 ... is what I keep telling myself lol
    OMFG we’re scumbags! curiosity got the better of me and I tried it

It always looks worse than it is and sure can't be that bad when you're still alive lol! Healthy dirt as I've heard it called before!!

Lucy admiring her work... the mucky water :eek:... 'Thanks we'll have it wrecked again for you by COB tomorrow!" :p
    465709.png

My dog was just standing looking at me wagging her big fluffy tail and Axel (cat) walked over and stood behind her where just the tip of her tail was swishing back and forth on his face and he was making the happiest little expression. Hahaha that cat is weird!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Just ordered a birthday present for my sister, an agility jump! I feel a bit bad that it's actually for the dog, but she loves going to classes with her, so I'm hoping it will go down well!
    I know when I had my furry man I would have loved it. Would anyone on here object to a present like that? :pac:

TG1 wrote: »
    Just ordered a birthday present for my sister, an agility jump! I feel a bit bad that it's actually for the dog, but she loves going to classes with her, so I'm hoping it will go down well!
    I know when I had my furry man I would have loved it. Would anyone on here object to a present like that? :pac:

Definitely not! I'd love that too!

Seven days on from adopting the trio of young cats.... All the old tricks and some new... like the coal bucket being the perfect litter tray, even though the real litter tray was alongside.... That was new to me!
    One was very very thin and I realised that she was not eating the cat food, there which was the same brand I use. Sometimes hard with a house full of cats to see that one is not eating.... Changed her to raw chicken and she has visibly started to fill out. Will get different brands of cat food when I am out.
    I had also forgotten the sheer exuberant life and energy of young cats.. An utter joy... the corridor is now a race track..
    They are so affectionate and tactile too.

One of my cats is adapting fine, the other taking longer and spending more time than usual outside.

No regrets; three safe here.

http://www.caravetgroup.com/aine-crowther Bailey the divil :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

A shameful plug for Secret Santa 2018, incase anyone has missed it :) Entries close on Friday :)

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057924870/1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Dog is on meds a few times a day, she's wise to the pill pocket type of thing, she likes people food but I dont want to compromise her liver any more with the wrong kind of food.

What kind of food/tricks do people here use to get their dog/cat to swallow their meds?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

raspberries :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Blueberries or banana slice. Sometimes I have to mix with bone broth that I make.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Blueberries or banana slice. Sometimes I have to mix with bone broth that I make.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

I have one that's just off 2 wks of antibiotics - no hassle at all using sour cream or cheese to get her to take them, but those might not work if you're worried about high fat.

TK's suggestion is good (I had never thought of raspberries), but if you're still having trouble I saw Nanci Creedon doing a video where she asked the dog to sit, popped the dog a treat, gave the same treat with the pill, then immediately gave another treat so the dog was swallowing the pill to get at the next treat - that might help?

If you have another dog, I find it's helpful to sit mine in a line and give a treat each, then give the pill in a treat to the dog getting medication, followed by another treat. It's a modification of nancy's method, but mine tend to gulp anything down to avoid another dog getting it so I find it works really well (well, as long as your talking about medication and not the dead mouse one swallowed last week to avoid another one getting it...).

Obviously, don't try that if your dog is in any way food aggressive...

I taught a catch with really tasty treats, dog used to get very excited and never questioned my motives. I split the tablet in two did a few tasty treats first then the tablet then a few more tasty treats quite quickly and then the next part of the tablet followed by some tasty stuff again. He was too focused on the catching that he never seemed to really notice or if I saw him kind of getting a taste of the tablet I'd shout catch again and he'd swallow the tablet to be ready for the next one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Bredabe wrote: »
    Dog is on meds a few times a day, she's wise to the pill pocket type of thing, she likes people food but I dont want to compromise her liver any more with the wrong kind of food.

What kind of food/tricks do people here use to get their dog/cat to swallow their meds?

If she likes people food and her liver is an issue, what about wrapping the pill in a bit of chicken. I give my guy two pills every am - each wrapped in half a slice of chicken - he gobbles it down because the cat has designs on his chicken :) with
    Fussy older dog, on pills, we made a game of it - the catch! treat! pop another one in while theyre thinking about it worked for us too! We used to play "zoomies" with the pill in a bit of smoked salmon or mackeral - moving it in our hand around so quickly, he had to be fast to get it :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Never had any success with wrapping pills' as the food would vanish but the pill would reappear... crushing them was the only sure way. them mixing with something tasty or wrapping the powder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Just a recommendation to watch the six part documentary Dogs on Netflix.

It's only on since yesterday and I've watched 5 out of the six.

Two are really outstanding. The story of a Syrian refugee who had to leave his dog Zeus in Syria. The story of ice a golden lab living with his family in lake Como was also a beautiful watch.

Warning:stock up on the hankies.

Advertisement