Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing Santa Cruz, Cali

• 24-10-2018 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Heading to Santa Cruz in California in a couple of weeks & wondering if anyone on here has surfed there. I know there's multiple spots & it's super crowded but having been there before but not surfed, we actually have time this trip. Again I see there's a few places that rent boards, but again, would be great to know if they rent fibreglass boards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 HeyMister

If you can do mid week rather than weekend you'll have a much better time.
    Although it'll still be busy.

I've rented from Cowells surf shop. They have a changing room and rent decent boards.
    And have a car park so your car won't get broken into if you rent from them. Wherever you park, have nothing visible in car.

Cowells beach is right across the road. Can get crowded but still possible to get a wave. A short walk towards the cliff, and you can surf Cliffs by taking a stairs down to it. Nice friendly break, a bit less crowded due to lack of parking and access.
    If you are feeling a bit braver and there is a wave, steamers is just beyond that again. Mighty wave, the longboarders there don't like shortboarders and the shortboarders don't like anyone. Odd vibe. But just start complaining about SUPs and everyone will agree :D

If you can get to capitola, I forget the name of the store, but there is a decent one on the main street and its just up the road from pleasure point and a nice beach break.

If you are able to travel with your board,
    Moss Landing is fun, huge long beach, no crowds, but dark murky water, it felt a bit sharky even though I saw nothing there. A few sea lions.
    Scotts Creek up the road towards San Fran ,but not too far out of Santa Cruz, is a fun fast wave, but again, an uneasy feeling of sharkiness! Signs warning about it prob stick it in the brain.

99 Bottles is decent for a beer and pub grub. As is Seabright brewpub.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭myate

Thanks mate! Will check out Cowells shop...I seen their website says they have glass boards for rent so good to know from you also that they have decent boards.
    It will be mid-week surf. I surf reefs & points here in Sligo so Steamer would be first on my list as long as it's not double overhead! I know a guy who lives there also so will probably get out with a genuine local! But need to get a board first so thanks for the info!
    I know the shop in Capitola also, been in there before, nice owners. Thanks for the tip about car...standard San Francisco info!!

Yeah, decent boards for sure. They pretty much have a rental board or two from every brand they sell.
    Mid week and early morning will be tasty if you can get Steamers then.

Yep, SC is same car issues as San Fran.
    The car park by the surf museum isn't so bad if you pick up a board for a few days. Usually fairly busy with plenty of people about.

If you know a local you're sorted,
    I generally get a board from locals if they are free to come surfing, handy as I don't need to rent then.
    Get them to bring you to Hauts Surf shop.
    Small place, but friendly folk and the board showroom is a place of dreams.
    Got lucky on one visit as the place was quiet and the strange accent got me a tour of the shaping and glassing rooms.

Quick follow up...SC was pretty much flat for the week we were there. Thankfully it wasn't a surf trip!! But did get one great session up north of town, Scots Creek beach (as you mentioned), nice reef break with a clean right that doubles up on the inside. Nice & mellow crowd of about 10 out, all older guys. Give respect, get respect & once they see you catching waves & surfing well, no agro whatsoever!
    The kelp out there is unreal, so thick!! But really cool out there with pelicans flying around, seals out there too. The guy I was out with was like, just don't even think about the men in grey suits!!

Nice one,
    Its an incredible place to surf.
    Where were you able to rent a board?

I was up closer to SF direction recently also.
    Some great spots at Pacifica and Ocean Beach if you end up back there.
    Pacifica is definitely much smaller surf, but was easier to rent a board and zero effort. Lovely longboard or fish type wave.

Ocean beach there's a few rental options, and a massive long beach with peaks everywhere, hoovers up the swell too :)

• Advertisement

Yeah, had to get one from Cowells. Wanted to get one from Freeline but with traffic coming from SFO we didn't make it into SC until 6:15pm & Freeline was closed & didn't open until 9 the next morning...Cowells was 8am. The old guy running Cowells was legendary! When you think of old grizzly surfer, you think of him...end of the summer season & couldn't give a damn at that stage!!

Surf all the way up & down the coast, just take your chances with sharks & swell! Ocean Beach gets real heavy! Next time it'll be a surf trip & I'll just bring my own boards.

Advertisement