Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vauxhall Ampera

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I wouldn't worry too much about the brake components :D

But yeah most cars need considerable suspension work around the 200-300km mark. That would cost hundreds rather than thousands though. I would prefer to buy a car a few thousand cheaper that might need a few hundred spent on it than buying an expensive low miler :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

unkel wrote: »
    I would prefer to buy a car a few thousand cheaper that might need a few hundred spent on it than buying an expensive low miler :D

By expensive low miler, you mean brand new?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I wouldn't worry too much about the brake components :D

The fact the friction brakes will be used less than a traditional car doesn't mean they can be ignored either.

I've had to replace all the caliper guide pins on the rear brakes on my Prius as they were seized - they need regular inspection and lubrication to avoid this. Every 2 years or so is probably enough.

I don't know how much of an issue this is with other hybrids and EVs, but if you see rusty discs (and not just light surface rust) then they'll need attention. Some cursory Googling suggests the Volt/Ampera is not immune to this problem.

Even if the discs look OK it's probably good to check them and lubricate the pins. I gained about a mile EV range after doing this :)

n97 mini wrote: »
    By expensive low miler, you mean brand new?! :)

Nah, just I'd prefer to spend £7,999 on a 100k miles on rather than £9,999 on a 20k miles one. Most people are the opposite, that's why high milers are such good value :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

n97 mini wrote: »
    - TPMS actually shows tyre pressures without having to use OBD. I don't know why the Leaf doesn't. The downside is that when the car is in metric mode, tyre pressure is shown in kilopascals! Why?! Should be in Bar ideally, but I still use PSI anyway.

Because kPa is the metric unit of pressure. Divide it by 100 and you'll have the value in bars. In which part the Pound per Square Inch is metric? ;P

• Advertisement

grogi wrote: »
    Because kPa is the metric unit of pressure. Divide it by 100 and you'll have the value in bars. In which part the Pound per Square Inch is metric? ;P

Learn something new every day. Still not sure why the pressure isn't just in bars, to match what's on air pumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Dark and Long

Have one of these about a month now and love it. I have a 250km round commute to work and got it after work put in chargers, spending about 5/8th's of what I was on fuel (coming from a 2.0 cDTI Astra). Find it great to drive and very comfy. The touch sensitive infomatant system is really annoying for things like the temp control, and I find the windscreen fogs up very easily and much more than any other car I've had for some reason (although I am aware I'm a bit more stingy with the heating in EV mode!!).

With a 250km commute and work charging, did you not consider a Leaf 30kWh? The extra few grand up front would have paid for itself very quickly in fuel savings alone.

With a 250km commute and work charging, did you not consider a Leaf 30kWh? The extra few grand up front would have paid for itself very quickly in fuel savings alone.

I simply could not look at a leaf every day, it's just so ugly and unappealing, snobbish I know, but I like a good looking car! I don't plan on having this commute for much longer, so I was looking ahead and figured it would do my needs in future, while cutting my costs presently and having a car I like the look of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Theres two for sale on done deal at the moment, no mention of spec and I haven't gone digging.

https://www.donedeal.ie/all?words=Ampera&area=Ireland&campaign=14

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I simply could not look at a leaf every day, it's just so ugly and unappealing, snobbish I know, but I like a good looking car! I don't plan on having this commute for much longer, so I was looking ahead and figured it would do my needs in future, while cutting my costs presently and having a car I like the look of.
    I did over 50k km in a leaf in around 12 months. You don't have to look at it when you are driving! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭coolisin

Kamili wrote: »
    Theres two for sale on done deal at the moment, no mention of spec and I haven't gone digging.

Went to have a look at the one in Naas, not bad very interested in them as a car, not a fan of the silver in the flesh, wheels would also need a refurb.
    Didn't get them to value my car, not sure if my missus will ever actually let me get a Vauxhall :D

Dont think I would go next to near the place in ballymount!
    There was a nice one for sale up the north. Too busy to head up to have a look.

I would love to have a 48hr test drive to see how it would suit my needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Have one of these about a month now and love it. I have a 250km round commute to work and got it after work put in chargers, spending about 5/8th's of what I was on fuel (coming from a 2.0 cDTI Astra). Find it great to drive and very comfy. The touch sensitive infomatant system is really annoying for things like the temp control, and I find the windscreen fogs up very easily and much more than any other car I've had for some reason (although I am aware I'm a bit more stingy with the heating in EV mode!!).

Whats insurance on these, I know that'l be variable based on other factors.
    Anyone know what are the actual servicing costs up north?

Seems steep compared to the UK based one,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

1874 wrote: »

Very steep, was thinking that myself.
    Don't like the silver either

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

White or red they look amazing imo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

coolisin wrote: »

Any particular reason?

The Murphy Doyle one is Electron (has satnav)
    The Electric Autos one is Positiv (no satnav)

Both 2013 model year. The red trim in the 13MY is rare. Tends to be more common in the 12MY.

coolisin wrote: »
    Went to have a look at the one in Naas, not bad very interested in them as a car, not a fan of the silver in the flesh, wheels would also need a refurb.
    Didn't get them to value my car, not sure if my missus will ever actually let me get a Vauxhall :D

There was a nice one for sale up the north. Too busy to head up to have a look.

I would love to have a 48hr test drive to see how it would suit my needs.

Probably not much they could do to one though?
    Looking online, I like the look of the Volt more, neither car seem to have a good means to seperate anything stored in the boot and no proper cover for the boot either, seems an odd thing to put me off, but it looks like stuff could come through and no privacy from peering eyes for anything you might have in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I heard the volt/ampera don't have exact same suspension etc, only the drivetrain is the same, slight differences in a lot of other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭coolisin

Probably not much they could do to one though?
    Looking online, I like the look of the Volt more, neither car seem to have a good means to seperate anything stored in the boot and no proper cover for the boot either, seems an odd thing to put me off, but it looks like stuff could come through and no privacy from peering eyes for anything you might have in there.

True enough that.
    Its just the dealing I've had with Ballymount and the rep of dealers around there.

Boot cover wouldn't bother me as a drive an estate with the cover always out anyway.

Would rather the light cloth one that looks like you can fold in a pocket easier then the retractable cover I need to move all the time!!

• Advertisement

I prefer a retractable roller cover, Ive an estate and as I might have anything in there I prefer its not visible, more suprising to me is the lack of any or a significant barrier to stop items in there moving through into the rest of the car, one vehicle looked like the barrier was about as substantial as a piece of hardboard others had none on display, other than that I like the look of both cars, volt looks nicer, but the ampera looks ok in certain colours

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Patser

Strange timing to see this thread, just seen my 1st Chevy Volt in the flesh - a 12 reg, one of the rebadged Amperas. Not too bad looking a car up close.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Patser wrote: »
    Strange timing to see this thread, just seen my 1st Chevy Volt in the flesh - a 12 reg, one of the rebadged Amperas. Not too bad looking a car up close.
    Cough.... an ampera is actually a rebadged Volt, not the other way round

Whats insurance on these, I know that'l be variable based on other factors.
    Anyone know what are the actual servicing costs up north?

My insurance is ~500 sterling for the year, which was about 100 lower than my 2.0 cDTI Astra.

8 Amperas and 1 Volt so far this year. Image courtesy the IEVOA

Screenshot-from-2018-11-01-15-56-23-1024x381.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

Anyone know how long the charge cable is? Would it reach a socket on the front of a house if the Ampera is the second car in a driveway if that makes sense?

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Anyone know how long the charge cable is? Would it reach a socket on the front of a house if the Ampera is the second car in a driveway if that makes sense?

I don't know specifically for the Ampera, but most EVs come with a 5m cable. This would not be long enough to reach the second car on the drive

For this reason, I had a 15m cable made for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭wing52

Is you're 15m cable as tough or better than the standard. Ones? I've seen a few with chips gone off the end of them.

Simona1986 wrote: »

The included cable is 6m... but the socket on the car is on the passenger side wing, so you lose probably a metre because of that.

If the car in front is a hatchback it probably would reach. Probably not if it's a saloon.

Also depends on where on the house the socket is located.

• Advertisement

wing52 wrote: »
    Is you're 15m cable as tough or better than the standard. Ones? I've seen a few with chips gone off the end of them.

I've a few different cables/plugs here. ITT made ones are definitely the best quality. They also have metal release mechanisms (on Type-1 plugs only), most of the rest are plastic.

Advertisement