Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GSM Line Fault HKC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭altor

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    Got it put in oven two years ago.

Its only out since February this year

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭baby fish

manster wrote: »
    Also recommended to get the alarm serviced and ask the installer that the latest software is to be added.

If it was connected through WiFi also would it update itself? Surely an engineer isnt required for an update ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Sono

Happening again here this morning, so annoying.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

baby fish wrote: »
    If it was connected through WiFi also would it update itself? Surely an engineer isnt required for an update ?

Software updates are not automatic on that panel. An engineer call would be required.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Sono wrote: »
    Happening again here this morning, so annoying.

I would be very frustrated especially on a service that you are paying for.
    I am confused as to why these were set upon GSM only when your own broadband would be free to use. The most logical configuration here would be over your broadband and switch to GSM if that goes down. GSM only is prone to network issues not to mention jamming. Which is not good considering comms fail is only notified to you 5 hours later.

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote: »
    I would be very frustrated especially on a service that you are paying for.
    I am confused as to why these were set upon GSM only when your own broadband would be free to use. The most logical configuration here would be over your broadband and switch to GSM if that goes down. GSM only is prone to network issues not to mention jamming. Which is not good considering comms fail is only notified to you 5 hours later.

Yeah that’s true not to mention a 5 month old in the house, the alarm has gone off randomly also during these faults.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭baby fish

I am confused as to why these were set upon GSM only when your own broadband would be free to use
    I have asked an installer about doing this, he said he can, but he suggested to only connect through WiFi as a second path, only if you have very reliable broadband, like fibre broadband..I think his point was if the broadband goes down, you'd be getting the same warnings?

A strange logic. I would say broadband first and GSM as a back up. That's the way virtually all other systems work. We have lots of systems using both options . During all these "network issues" we had no issues with systems down.

baby fish wrote: »
    I have asked an installer about doing this, he said he can, but he suggested to only connect through WiFi as a second path, only if you have very reliable broadband, like fibre broadband..I think his point was if the broadband goes down, you'd be getting the same warnings?

Wi-Fi would always be the primary path using a dual system. The dual path on HKC sends alarms signals over both paths so it not dependent on one path as such. Other systems will needs the Wi-Fi to go down for a set time before switching over the the GSM path.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

Has anyone heard of any specific timeframe that this'll be fixed?

The beeping woke me at 4:10am this morn, I didn't fancy getting up and manually entering the code to stop the beeping so waited the 8 or so minutes it takes to re-establish communication and I used the App to turn it off.

Issues started 11 days ago.

• Advertisement

A long time for any "network issues" to go on for.
    We have many different systems using GSM for apps &/or monitoring. None have had these issues.

A long time for any "network issues" to go on for.
    We have many different systems using GSM for apps &/or monitoring. None have had these issues.

Unfortunately I'm stuck with this one as it was only installed last year. To be fair this is the first issue I've had with it in that time, wouldn't be so bad if it decided to lose communication during day time hours, this middle of the night lark is annoying.

van_beano wrote: »
    Unfortunately I'm stuck with this one as it was only installed last year. To be fair this is the first issue I've had with it in that time, wouldn't be so bad if it decided to lose communication during day time hours, this middle of the night lark is annoying.

Wasn't suggesting you should have to change. More curious how "network issues" don't affect other systems.
    But its clearly an issue that needs sorting. The audible alerts should be able to be turned off in the meantime. Have you asked your installer?

Wasn't suggesting you should have to change. More curious how "network issues" don't affect other systems.
    But its clearly an issue that needs sorting. The audible alerts should be able to be turned off in the meantime. Have you asked your installer?

I sent him the alarm log the other day and asked him to check with HKC about a timeframe fix, no reply back!

I wouldn't mind but he was always good at getting back to me on other issues like remotely correcting my clock time on the alarm and fixing a faulty wireless sensor.

van_beano wrote: »
    I sent him the alarm log the other day and asked him to check with HKC about a timeframe fix, no reply back!

I wouldn't mind but he was always good at getting back to me on other issues like remotely correcting my clock time on the alarm and fixing a faulty wireless sensor.

Its the connection to Three that is causing the issue.
    You can get your installer to request that the system does not see the three network until Three sort out the issue.
    Another option is to get him to update the software on the panel and GSM.
    The newer software is quicker at changing networks so you would not get the fault again.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭mckildare

Hi all,
    I'm getting this problem more and more regularly now. Was sporadic for nearly 2 years but in the last month or so has been maybe once a week and over last few days has been a few times, 3 times so far this evening. Is this a network issue or something that the installer has to come out and fix? Thanks

Some are saying it's a network issue. I was under the impression that these use international sim cards that will roam on any network.
    We have lots of alarms using sim cards with other manufacturers and we are not seeing any issues like this.

Mine has been fault free for 8 days now after about 11 days of intermittent faults, no doubt it'll go down tonight after just posting this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Same, we've had no issues of late

Ok thanks folks, I hope it sorts itself out. Costing valuable cents in text messages for nothing :) I was on to Eir/Meteor to find out if there were network upgrades going on in my area and they said replace the SIM. If it continues I guess it will a call out for the alarm installer either way

• Advertisement

Does anyone having these issues have central station monitoring through this connection?
    If so, that would be very concerning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I spoke with HKC this morning and they played down the issue, saying it was a few weeks ago and was rectified after a day or two.
    It's been happening to me on and off since August 4th. Haven't set up the WiFi connection yet so maybe once I do it won't be as big a hassle.

I was worried when I was out of the country as I couldn't connect to the app and my wifi went down as well so couldn't check cctv remotely.
    Had to go old school and call a neighbour to have look around the house!

Listening to lots of engineers who use this it's a lot more widespread and far from sorted.
    Lots of outages this morning also

3 faults detected this morning from midnight to now. Is there a way to disable the SMS for these types of faults?

Happy to report this hasn’t happened in over 2 weeks, was driving me mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Shooter_galway

Sorry for the bump but have had about 8 line faults today. GSM with meteor... Any way to silence alarm panel as don't want it waking kids if it persists in going off?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,467 ✭✭✭✭banie01

This feels like the most appropriate thread to ask this question.
    Apologies if I'm mistaken.

Have a HKC SecureWatch panel that has a landline modem, changed providers recently and kept getting "line fault"
    So I disabled the modem via service menu.(New Provider is VOIP only)
    Is this the correct way to deal with that issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dubgal22

Does anyone know how to solve the gsm fault getting several a day . I have engineers code.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I had one last night again, 2.07am and lasted till 2.11am last one prior to this was 6th Oct also exactly the same times, its definitely to coincidental that these faults always happen after 2am in the morning and never during the day.I had a number of these during 2018 and again all just after 2am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I had one last night again, 2.07am and lasted till 2.11am last one prior to this was 6th Oct also exactly the same times, its definitely to coincidental that these faults always happen after 2am in the morning and never during the day.I had a number of these during 2018 and again all just after 2am

Have a chat with your installer, your system more than likely needs an upgrade to the latest software.
    Mobile Networks refresh at approx that time of the night, yours appears not to be switching from one network to another.

Advertisement