Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Minor Tournaments Discussion 2018/19.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

Neil Robertson and Jack Lisowski out. 32 down to 16...

Top half of draw:

Ali Carter v Eden Sharav
    Li Hang v Peter Ebdon
    Judd Trump v Luca Brecel
    Ryan Day v Andrew Higginson

Bottom half of draw:

Ronnie O'Sullivan v Zhou Yuelong
    Lu Ning v David Gilbert
    Thepchaiya Un-Nooh v Robbie Williams
    Martin O'Donnell v Mark Selby

No time for Carter or Trump. I'd imagine an O'Sullivan - Selby semi final is a possibility, with Carter/Day - Trump in the other one. Would love to see Thepchaiya do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Ronnie is still just ludicrously good. 18 best of 7s in a row. I don't think he has the head for the Crucible anymore though. I wonder behind the pressure deflecting persona does it eat him that he'll probably not get past Hendry.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Thepchaiya a workmanlike 37 minutes to book his qf place tonight. Don’t know if that’s some kind of record. Cant be far off anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Some going trying to beat a 10 second shot time average... he averaged just under 14. Very hard to watch Selby Hamilton after that performance from o Sullivan.
    That’s an incredible shot average. I find it very hard to watch Selby when there are much more exciting players out there.

Selby’s good, no doubt. But he’s hard to watch.

I watched Selby V Hamsa Akbar last night and I have to say Selby was good to watch. He attacked and his shot time average was 18 seconds.

I don’t know if he would have been so aggressive if he was playing better opponent. But I have to admit he was good to watch.

Jack Lisowski has slipped under the radar for me. I didn’t have any idea he’s so highly ranked. He’s on the edge of the top 16. Must keep a closer eye on him. He lost 4-0 to Trump last night but he must be doing well elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Lisowski is talented no question and great to watch but has a few flaws in his game so will be interesting to see how far he can go over the next few years. Humiliated by Higgins at the crucible but maybe he can learn from those setbacks and get stronger.

It’s a bit ominous for the game that, after Lisowski, there really isn’t a single young promising UK snooker player, unless you want to include the likes of Ant McGill. But in the teens, early 20s, there’s really nothing at all. And, sadly, as far as here is concerned, a barren wasteland. A lot resting on the likes of Allen, Lisowski and Trump next few years I believe.

Found it amazing that one of the great young Chinese talents struggled clear the colours virtually off their spots twice last night.

The Chinese are producing in quantity for sure but whether they can match that with requisite quality remains to be seen. Couple of promising young players there but might take another generation I think before we see a genuine superstar or even another Ding.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,285 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Ronnie v Selby semi-final 1 o'clock this afternoon Eurosport.

:eek:

That is all.

• Advertisement

zuutroy wrote: »
    :eek:

That is all.

Missed it, what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Peter File

Final frame decider was amazing, so much tension, flukes, horrible snookers. It was worthy of being a final. I expect Trump to win easily tonight. O'Sullivan v Trump would be a great final as there seems to be some tension between them now.

Just a dramatic ending. Selby had ronnie in tough snooker, looked game over, but ronnie not only hit red but fluked it and cleared up.

Sounded a bit wired in post match interview too. Head a bit wrecked by all that perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Snooker.....Bloody hell.....:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Wow what a clearance under those circumstances. Some of the pots after the fluke weren't that straight forward either. That really stung Selby

I was stunned when he missed the black off the spot. So out of character. Be some fun if they meet again this season.

Exciting finish in store here. Been a real slugfest with neither player conceding an inch. Trumps safety been a revelation today for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Trump looks very comfortable in his play at the moment. Very natural. Seems to working a bit on the mental game. Hope he goes and wins it.

But he has been such an inconsistent performer these last few years, will miss a sitter when he is in a strong position. Frustrating. If he can fix that it can all still open up for him.

Beautiful long yellow from Ronnie earlier. Around the angles for perfect position on the red beside the black. Been a good game this for sure.

One thing about trump, he’s never been intimidated by Ronnie as a few other players have been. His head to head record is very decent and maybe about to get better. Has to finish the job though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Great win for Trump, secures his place for the Champion of Champions next year, too.

After the Northern Ireland Open, here's the Top 16 ranked players, so far for the 2018/19 season:

1. Mark Selby
    2. Mark Allen
    3. Mark Williams
    4. Neil Robertson
    5. Judd Trump
    6. David Gilbert
    7. Jack Lisowski
    8. Jimmy Robertson
    9. Stuart Bingham
    10. John Higgins
    11. Joe Perry
    12. Barry Hawkins
    13. Mark Davis
    14. Ali Carter (tied at #14)
    14. Ryan Day (tied at #14)
    16. Zhao Xintong

Top 7 have all earned over £100,000/ranking points. Ronnie is currently ranked #21.

UK Championship starts next Tuesday, 27th November.

After his UK Championship win, Ronnie moves up from #21, to the #2 ranked player for the season. UK runner-up, Mark Allen is #1 for the season.

But the tour moves on today to Glasgow for the 2018 Scottish Open, the last event of the year. Like the other "Home Nations" events, it's best-of-7s until the quarter-finals, and top prize is £70,000. Of the "big 4" of Selby and the class of '92, Selby is skipping the tournament as he usually does with the Scottish Open to "prepare" for The Masters, Mark Williams is on holiday, Ronnie withdrew from his match with Daniel Wells today, who gets a bye into Round 2, but John Higgins is playing.

Neil Robertson is the defending champion, playing Peter Lines in the opening round. Last year's runner-up, Cao Yupeng, is currently serving a ban from the sport.

Coverage starts today on EuroSport and Quest, final is next Sunday.

See the situation with Selby shows why Ronnie was just stirring things up with this breakaway tour stuff. The World number 1 on the full ranking list gets knocked out of the UK early. So he doesn't play from late November until all the way up to the 15th of January.....

Now that's a fair lay off to get over the tough few months travelling to China and back a few times during September/October/November

Ronnie himself has just withdrawn from Glasgow. So he can put his feet up until mid January now. That is a fair break to be fully recharged for the second half of the season, but not lose form.

John Higgins is playing with a "broken rib", but has still managed to make the last 32. He also made a 147 today, picking up £22,000.

Top 16 names knocked out so far, defending champ Neil Robertson, Barry Hawkins, Stuart Bingham, Stephen Maguire, and Jack Lisowski.

Tomorrow, Thursday, is the day of these "Home Nations" events, where we start the day with 32 players, but by the end of the day, we'll have the 8 quarter-finalists.

Top half of draw:

Ross Muir v Sam Baird
    Ali Carter v David Lilley
    Joe Perry v Kyren Wilson
    Nigel Bond v Shaun Murphy
    Zhou Yuelong v Stuart Carrington
    Tian Pengfei v Lu Ning
    Ian Burns v Billy Joe Castle
    Zhang Jiankang v Judd Trump

Bottom half:

John Higgins v Yan Bingtao
    Alfie Burden v Zhang Yong
    Graeme Dott v Luca Brecel
    Yuan Sijun v Mark Allen
    Ding Junhui v Zhao Xintong
    Ryan Day v Zhang Anda
    Matthew Stevens v Jimmy Robertson
    Mark Joyce v Daniel Wells

Top looks like Judd again or maybe Kyren. Bottom half, Mark Allen or possibly Ding, he looked really good in his 1st round match, and afterwards was talking about being well aware of his ranking (#31) for the season so far, and said he's going to play in everything possible for the rest of the season and not skip any events.

Watched the Robertson vs Road Muir. Muir won but he was tough to watch. No real subtly to his play. Safety was poor, positional play was really dodgy, and putting was patchy.

It really highlights the difference between the top players and the rest. I was spoiled by the quality on display at your last week. You can come to see things like delicate cannons and positioning and good safety play as basic and normal.

In fact there are full time professionals who struggle to do those things. The final between Ronnie and Allen probably wasn't vintage but the skill level was tip-top.

Muir by his own admission was poor - hardly says much for robertson! - but did reveal afterwards that he is suffering from an eye condition that causes migraine headaches when he plays under intense light and is exacerbated in pressure situations. Robertson moaned about Muir’s slow play after the match but apologised as soon as he heard about the headache thing and also - I suspect- when he realised he sounded like a classic sore loser.

Muir by his own admission was poor - hardly says much for robertson! - but did reveal afterwards that he is suffering from an eye condition that causes migraine headaches when he plays under intense light and is exacerbated in pressure situations. Robertson moaned about Muir’s slow play after the match but apologised as soon as he heard about the headache thing and also - I suspect- when he realised he sounded like a classic sore loser.

True. Muir was on 30 second shot average and Robertson was on 20s. And fair play he beat Robertson. But there's more to it than that. The kind of shots Robertson played were so much more ambitious than muir. He played position shots off 2/3 cushions, the length of the table and they migth be a few inches out do break over. Muir played the least ambitious shots and still ended up out of position.

And fair play he won. But the difference in skill was clear

Quarter-Finals

Sam Baird (#101) v Shaun Murphy (#11)
    Stuart Carrington (#42) v Judd Trump (#5)
    Alfie Burden (#95) v Mark Allen (#6)
    Ryan Day (#13) v Daniel Wells (#66)

John Higgins lost his last 16 round match against #95, Alfie Burden. Daniel Wells, the man who got a bye because Ronnie pulled out, is still in the tournament. There were 10 Asian players in the last 32, but zero have made the quarter-finals. Only 2 players ranked in the Top 8 in the world, made the last 8.

• Advertisement

Would love to see Murphy win this...

Advertisement