Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭ltd440

pukeko wrote: »
    hello all, i'm new to EVs, just purchased a 30kwh leaf and getting setup for home charging.

I see electric ireland are offering a home charger install for €149 after the grant is applied. Does anyone know what model charger they install?

Also can i purchase a charger online before the grant is approved? or should i wait.

i am leaning towards buying a 32a rolec charger from evonestop.co.uk and getting it installed by certified local guy

any advice otherwise welcome!

thanks
    I was on to electric ireland a couple of days ago and they have 32A tethered.
    That's the only one they are installing now, I didn't find out the make as a type 2 tethered doesn't suit my leaf
    It's a great price but I think the price is FROM 149

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Ive requested a call back. Thks to whoever mentioned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 pukeko

ltd440 wrote: »
    I was on to electric ireland a couple of days ago and they have 32A tethered.
    That's the only one they are installing now, I didn't find out the make as a type 2 tethered doesn't suit my leaf
    It's a great price but I think the price is FROM 149

I got an email from them today - it's the Circontrol eHome 7.4kw Type 2 tethered. No good for me either :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I got an email from them today - it's the Circontrol eHome 7.4kw Type 2 tethered. No good for me either :(

Looking at circontrol's website they have a Type 1 and Type 2 version of that charge point.
    https://circontrol.com/wp-content/uploads/Circontrol-eHome-Datasheet.pdf

Are you sure they wont provide the Type 1 version if thats what you need? It would be very odd that they wouldnt provide that option as it makes no difference to them really what cable you have on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Wud that unit suit a '16 Leaf 30kw?

• Advertisement

MorganIRL wrote: »
    Wud that unit suit a '16 Leaf 30kw?

No, upto the new L40(2018) model all Leaf's needed Type 1 cables.

The 2018 model switched to type 2... as does every EV from this point forward as its EU mandated AFAIK.

KCross wrote: »
    Looking at circontrol's website they have a Type 1 and Type 2 version of that charge point.
    https://circontrol.com/wp-content/uploads/Circontrol-eHome-Datasheet.pdf

Are you sure they wont provide the Type 1 version if thats what you need? It would be very odd that they wouldnt provide that option as it makes no difference to them really what cable you have on it.

I emailed them that question earlier so awaiting reply - will update

Got a reply from them there - Only type 2 available.

that's annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Pduffy1

Anyone used or had the Circontrol unit installed. Seems a good option but just looking for some feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭TBi

Any recommendations for an installer in Cork? I’m moving house and bringing my charger (and RCBO) with me. Was quoted €600 which I think is bo***x. They said the cable alone will cost €200.

I can’t understand why this would be anything over €200 for install and cable but I’d be ok paying €300 for a good job.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Just seen this.
    €299 fitted for the EO Mini Charger.

Great value or am I missing something here?

https://ecarinfra.ie/collections/ev-at-home/products/eo-mini

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I don’t know how it compares with others for the same model but, in case you missed it, that price is after the grant is applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭CFC007

Try https://roclec.ie/

TBi wrote: »
    Any recommendations for an installer in Cork? I’m moving house and bringing my charger (and RCBO) with me. Was quoted €600 which I think is bo***x. They said the cable alone will cost €200.

I can’t understand why this would be anything over €200 for install and cable but I’d be ok paying €300 for a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 eamon_l

16 week for delivery of a Zappi 2 at the moment. Santa can't even get any in time for the big day!! 😵

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I don’t meant to be harping on, but I can’t fault my EV box. I got a loan of a 32a cable and after mis-judging my distances yesterday (yet again) along with a bit of cold weather battery loss, I arrived home with 5kms in turtle mode - was fully charged in 4.5 hours ! Happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

eamon_l wrote: »
    16 week for delivery of a Zappi 2 at the moment. Santa can't even get any in time for the big day!! ��

Try http://www.darkinelectrical.ie, they managed to secure some Zappi v2 chargers due in early Nov.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭JohnC.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I don’t meant to be harping on, but I can’t fault my EV box. I got a loan of a 32a cable and after mis-judging my distances yesterday (yet again) along with a bit of cold weather battery loss, I arrived home with 5kms in turtle mode - was fully charged in 4.5 hours ! Happy with that.

I’ve been looking with interest at their Elvi, but I’m a little confused about if it has dynamic load balancing or not. The information I’ve seen seems a bit confused. Does it?

CFC007 wrote: »

My most ridiculous quote was from them! Dont hold your breath for a competitive quote there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

JohnC. wrote: »
    I’ve been looking with interest at their Elvi, but I’m a little confused about if it has dynamic load balancing or not. The information I’ve seen seems a bit confused. Does it?

I honestly don’t know. I can put you in touch with the lad who installed mine her at the house and at work if you want?

I do know at work, 2 of us can charge at the same time at full power.

JohnC. wrote: »

I took a look at their website.

Out of the box it seems it only supports manual load balancing.

If you want dynamic load balancing you need to buy an optional EVBox Smart Charging kit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bf

kceire wrote: »
    Just seen this.

They are fitting my charger first week of November - experience so far in terms of contact & survey has been good. Going for a more expensive EO with app & solar compatibility & their pricing was more competitive than others

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

bf wrote: »
    They are fitting my charger first week of November - experience so far in terms of contact & survey has been good. Going for a more expensive EO with app & solar compatibility & their pricing was more competitive than others

Cool. I have a charger already but if I didn’t I’d jump on this offer or the smart one with PV integration too.

kceire wrote: »
    Just seen this.

€299 after grant has been claimed but still is a good price allright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Pduffy1

Looking for some advice. Not sure on what home charger to go for. Local electrician gave me a price on installing the Garo unit and also interested in electric Ireland's Circontrol unit. Both options teathered and 32a and both coming in around the same price of €750 installed. With my €600 grant both options sound good value but just wondering if anyone has any experience (positive or negative) with either option. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

If you get the certs and it can charge at 7kw then its a good deal if done with no hassle of finding suppliers and separate installers.

I am finding the app I have on my Wallbox really useful for calculating costs, setting power output and charge times so potentially make sure they have similar features.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

About to order my car for Jan and been reading through the below long thread is it safe to say most people going tethered? Have a young child who is very inquisitive and not sure i want to leave the cable hanging there...
    How do i know to go 16 or 32A and we do have an electric shower.

Want something i can schedule to start and finish a charge so smart i guess, wallbox or EO mini Charger work for me?

160km per day x5 with the Kona so charging every second day until work gets chargers...

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

You need to go 32A. An empty 64kWh Kona takes the full 9 hours of night rate to charge your car even at 32A! The car can schedule when the charge starts and ends, you don't need the charger to do that. Get night rate, if you don't have it. Get a tethered charger, it is so convenient. And completely safe.

With your electric shower you need a priority switch. Some chargers, like the Zappi have that built in, so would be a good choice

And the best for last: with your massive commute, you will save a fortune in fuel and you are doing your family and the rest of us a great service by going electric :)

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

unkel wrote: »
    You need to go 32A. An empty 64kWh Kona takes the full 9 hours of night rate to charge your car even at 32A! The car can schedule when the charge starts and ends, you don't need the charger to do that. Get night rate, if you don't have it. Get a tethered charger, it is so convenient. And completely safe.

With your electric shower you need a priority switch. Some chargers, like the Zappi have that built in, so would be a good choice
    Thanks for the info :), testing driving it at 11 this morning!
    Tell that to my 4 year old that went through a faze of biting cables!

Does someone sell and install the Zappi as would rather get someone who is installing them every day than doing it separate, that never works out well.
    Does it need to connect into the fuse board?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

preddy wrote: »
    Thanks for the info :), testing driving it at 11 this morning!

Does someone sell and install the Zappi as would rather get someone who is installing them every day than doing it separate, that never works out well.

Where are you based?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Your daughter will be an adult before she'll have managed to chew through a 32A cable :p

Best of luck with the test drive!

Nigel Daly is the largest installer of EV chargers in Ireland. He operates nationwide. He does an excellent job, but is not the cheapest. And yes, the charger ill get its own group / RCBO in your consumer unit (fuse board)

Advertisement