Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

One final thought - wouldn't have given MOTM to lynch. Free taking aside, he contributed very little. Quite anonymous for 30/40 minutes of that game when Slaughtneil were in their faces. His skill levels are 10/10 but not a good man to roll up his sleeves and get into the trenches.

I think you must have been watching either a different player or a different game.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭lim4ev

I think you must have been watching either a different player or a different game.

In fairness to commonsense what he said about lynch generally is the case but wasn't on sat last as lynch was one of the better ones but didn't think he was anything special it's just the others were so bad which brings me to limerick,if as it looks that they're going to play hickey full back who are they going to play half back? For me it looks like Byrnes hannon and morrissey would ronan lynch have anything to offer?

lim4ev wrote: »
    In fairness to commonsense what he said about lynch generally is the case but wasn't on sat last as lynch was one of the better ones but didn't think he was anything special it's just the others were so bad which brings me to limerick,if as it looks that they're going to play hickey full back who are they going to play half back? For me it looks like Byrnes hannon and morrissey would ronan lynch have anything to offer?

I disagree with that also. Some people have this perception about Lynch and repeat it instead of watching the game on front of them and seeing what he actually does. His progression rate hasn't been the same as Austin Gleeson say but he is still an exceptional hurler, we don't have as good a striker of the ball in the county.

I think he's a viable option at wing back. He might struggle to contain the likes of a bonnar Maher physically would be the concern. Also Hannon the first choice centre back is quite loose so you'd want strong man markers either side of him. If you watch him when he played centre back for Na P or wing back for the u21s, he is incredibly ood at supporting a player in possession, being available for the pass and delivering good ball forward. It's an underrated skill.

I disagree with that also. Some people have this perception about Lynch and repeat it instead of watching the game on front of them and seeing what he actually does. His progression rate hasn't been the same as Austin Gleeson say but he is still an exceptional hurler, we don't have as good a striker of the ball in the county.

I think he's a viable option at wing back. He might struggle to contain the likes of a bonnar Maher physically would be the concern. Also Hannon the first choice centre back is quite loose so you'd want strong man markers either side of him. If you watch him when he played centre back for Na P or wing back for the u21s, he is incredibly ood at supporting a player in possession, being available for the pass and delivering good ball forward. It's an underrated skill.

Id agree with most of that but for me a player playing in half back line has to win the dirty ball and he hasn't done enough of that to date but he has great hurling abilities there's no doubting that and would be a great asset if he could step up I'd defo try him there before o loughlin or d morrissey but would play Colin ryan ahead of lynch cos of his better aerial abilities plus he's a fantastic hurler

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭commonsense.

His hurling skills are unquestioned. His striking is as good as any hurler in the country.
    But yes, the big question is can he step up.
    Maybe he can but I remain to be convinced.
    Imo both hannon and lynch as 2/3rds of a half back line just would not work . The likes of a Galway would destroy them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Lynch is a tough one i'd love to have him in the team for his brains, his brilliant striking and ability to bring others into the game

I'm just not sure where - he's certainly an asset and should be in the 26

His hurling skills are unquestioned. His striking is as good as any hurler in the country.
    But yes, the big question is can he step up.
    Maybe he can but I remain to be convinced.
    Imo both hannon and lynch as 2/3rds of a half back line just would not work . The likes of a Galway would destroy them.

I think you could be right there, both are a bit loose. In saying that, Lynch is a similar frame to Gavin O'Mahony if not stronger, and he never let us down.

I think he should be in the team at wing forward. He's not fast top speed wise but he is rangey and well able to cover ground, so he'd be well suited to tracking back to help out the half back line and his striking and vision would be a great addition as a link player, his long range point scoring would be a huge addition too. And if Dowling isn't starting lynch should be on the frees.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

I think you could be right there, both are a bit loose. In saying that, Lynch is a similar frame to Gavin O'Mahony if not stronger, and he never let us down.

I think he should be in the team at wing forward. He's not fast top speed wise but he is rangey and well able to cover ground, so he'd be well suited to tracking back to help out the half back line and his striking and vision would be a great addition as a link player, his long range point scoring would be a huge addition too. And if Dowling isn't starting lynch should be on the frees.

By the looks of it, Gillane would be on frees and he's done well but on a pressure championship game, who knows

Colemania wrote: »
    By the looks of it, Gillane would be on frees and he's done well but on a pressure championship game, who knows

He's doing well in early season games alright, he isn't a cert to start yet. Neither are Dowling or Lynch at this stage. All three might or might not start. I think Gillane has a way to go to prove himself as reliable a free taker as either of the other two, especially at long range, and the other two have a lot more experience in big games which is why I'd have them ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭commonsense.

Lynch is a tough one i'd love to have him in the team for his brains, his brilliant striking and ability to bring others into the game

I'm just not sure where - he's certainly an asset and should be in the 26

Agree with that except the "tough one" bit. That's exactly what I think he's missing.

• Advertisement

I'm not convinced either but I'd say he's our smartest player and deserves a chance. We've had tough fellas shooting wides for years!!!!!

Consistent team from kiely. I'd like to see a few changes particularly Colin Ryan . Hopefully good enough to beat Dublin with all the absentees

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

danganabu wrote: »
    Have to agree, he was the best NaP player when they were being outplayed. Cuala conceded alot of frees against Mellows around the middle third and if they repeat that in the final, Lynch will be key, a reliable free taker in croke park is a huge advantage.

A lot of the frees - for both sides - in the Cuala game were soft ones. Think Mellows only scored two from play. Could be a big factor especially if it is usual blustery sort of day. Wonder who will get to ref it. Should be great game.

• Think Ronan Lynch gets a hard time tbh. Anyone who follows sports could do with reading Michael Lewis' Moneyball (much better than the film) and the Undoing Project. It covers why sports teams often pick the wrong "type" of player. For years Limerick (again imo) has favoured the wrong skills in a player, and guys like Lynch aren't typical Limerick players.

Finally a limerick team being coached properly

Some selection and individual issues but overall very good

Great win but has to be taken in context as Dublin were so poor nevertheless we can only beat what's put in front of us,some good showings I think myself that Kiely has his preferred team in his head 1-10 yesterday could be starting come championship time which means hickey at 3 and morrissey at 7. Can't get over cian lynch and how more direct he has become thought gillane was well marshalled but Flanagan with a few more of these showings might be an option at 14. Big question is if 1-10 is as it was last night what's 11-15 going to be there's a lot of different variations that could be played with in my opinion only 2 guaranteed namely p casey and k Hayes I know a lot will say gillane and me too but he can be hot and cold but is v classy question is can he do it when up on a Cathal Barrett or Noel Connors etc?

Congrats to ard scoil yesterday on winning the Harty cup

Great win

Massive work has been done, nickys puck outs improved massively- lower trajectory more pace on the ball

Touch in general was good

Streets ahead of where we normally would be

I can't have hickey at 3 or Browne starting

Flanagan huge potential but needs a fair bit of coaching

Tom Morrissey fit and firing

We'll give anyone a game this year and beat a share of them

Colin Ryan starting Sunday......can't wait

Why do you think it's taken the mgt team so long to include such a talented player? There has to be a reason

By the way get used to hickey at 3 and Browne at midfield cos can't see anything else happening

He's been bedding in his two starters I suppose and keeping colin ryan on the leash

Hickey i'm not convinced of Browne I suppose...at least a pass and move game should suit him

Seems to be a few lads against Browne on here, I don't get it, been one of our best and most consistent players the last couple of years.

• Advertisement

I Just don't think Browne does enough against top teams, he won't pick up a man (not a lot of midfielders do it's part of the role to roam) he can totally drift out of games and get bypassed. And his accuracy when shooting can be poor and has a habit of big wind ups and get hooked and tuned over

He gives 100% and I'm not trying to knock him, the new style will suit him perfectly and maybe he will respond when it really matters in the summer, I really hope so, he has scope for improvement and should be well capable of achieving it. There's times when he'll come up against Jamie Barron and daithi burke where he has to take on responsibility and take on these physically when needed as they are the main players on their teams

I don't know, I think Browne is a great player and has been very good for us. I doubt there's many players that cover as much ground as him. He's not a showy player but he puts in a huge amount of tackles and gets on the ball a lot. He used not be great to shoot but I remember he had an awful wide against tipp in 2013 when dodge gave him a pass in loads of space and it looked to me like he worked hard on shooting after that as it improved significantly. I'd trust him to take on a shot now and he always seems to chip in a score. I don't see him being turned over in possession a lot either, he's tidy with the ball.

A concern would be having him and Lynch at midfield being blown out of it by a more physical pairing, especially if O'Donovan is to be at half forward and also operating around midfield. But lynch is big and physical enough now and Browne has always held his own so far.

I think William O'Donoghue has a chance of coming in here, he'd add a bit more power and Lynch could operate at wing forward. Not sure is WOD's hurling sharp enough for the likes of Galway but would be good to see him get some game time in the league matches remaining when the na p lads rejoin the panel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Claregaafan18

Does anyone know what is going on regarding the Limerick Senior Footballers. They are bottom of Division 4 after 4 matches. As a Clare man I hope that things will improve for ye. The days when you were one of the top teams in Ireland under Liam Kearns in the early naughties where some of the football played was outstanding, seemed not so long ago. I believe that the hard work that the Limerick football academy are doing underage will play dividends in time under the stewardship of Paul Kinnerk.

Back to the present, it is clear looking at the team sheets that the best players are not committing to the Limerick senior football panel. Is it because of the management led by Billy Lee? In Clare we have the same problem also re players not committing. The main focus for Limerick is for the best players whether it will be underage or senior committing to Limerick Football. In Clare our development squads are under-funded and under-resourced so it shouldn't take long before Limerick can overtake Clare in relation to underage success over their near neighbours.

Finally speaking of underage I am curious to know about how the Limerick Under-17 footballers are getting on ahead of their opening Munster Championship match against Clare in Ennis in April. I know that Niall Crowley is the manager of the team and Pa Ranahan is part of the backroom team, so you should be at least competitive and will be well prepared.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

^^ I heard on the radio that 42 players have left the panel over the last 2/3 years.

Considering the importance of the Galway game bit disappointed with the posts here. With what we've named wouldn't have backed us but Galway have a few missing too so 50/50?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,639 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Considering the importance of the Galway game bit disappointed with the posts here. With what we've named wouldn't have backed us but Galway have a few missing too so 50/50?

fireball was an excellent poster on here for years , think he has gone abroad ,

expect ye to finally make the jump to division 1A tomorrow ye are on to something with the current set of players ye have ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

More or less 50-50 yes, probably won't be much in it. Galway have been coming along slowly in this league campaign, winning without ever needing to be anywhere near full throttle. Limerick have probably been going the bit better of the two. However Galway will be looking to up it a gear in this one as Limerick are significantly better than what we've faced up to now, and Michael Donoghue has stated that he's looking forward to a bit of championship intensity in this one.

Both teams a bit understrength although Galway will be starting with 10 players who featured in the All-Ireland final so it's still a fairly strong lineup. Overall I think promotion would probably mean that bit more to Limerick at the moment, and on the basis of that greater hunger I think Limerick might shade this one. Should be a good game though.

Will take a very competitive match. Our forwards lack experience but have some bench options 50:50

The Galway full forward line is incredibly strong if we can hold them to 50-50 we'd have a right chance I feel. Just feel with the lads we're missing which are all forwards will we be able to score enough to win?

• Advertisement

Mccallister has been a disgrace so far

Advertisement