Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Educational videos/films you were shown in school.

2»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 78 ✭✭johnnyyesno

Not sure if there was already a thread about this before or not but here goes. Does anyone have memories of educational films on drink/drugs/safety etc that were shown to pupils in school. I remember our class was made watch this circa 1990. Everyone was bursting out laughing at the various scenes of careless kids being fried.

[/QUOTE

There was a shorter PIF of this too which cut to the main action at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Relikk

The only videos I remember watching in primary school were episodes of Zig Zag with Paul Coia that the teacher used to record off the TV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

I've seen a few mentions online to an a video starring Pajo from Pajos Junkbox that was made to teach children about the dangers of paedophiles and that was shown in schools. Anyone remember seeing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

I remember one, telling us not to fight with pencils. Was laughing at a bit where the child seems to headbut a pencil into his eye as he was writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I don't know if this counts, but at one point, my history teacher in secondary school showed us The Shadow of Bealnablath, the documentary about the life and shooting of Michael Collins on video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭ mightyreds

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    A 1980s film about the dangers of trespassing on pylons and electricity sub-stations.

The teenage actor grabs some cables and gets fried. I think most people in the class were laughing. Poor form

Could have shown this more recently guy I know tried to climb a pylon and it didn't end well.

This wasn't something I saw in school, rather it was at a summer job I did during the 90's in the Hasbro factory in Waterford. It was a health and safety video hosted by Pat Kenny which was obviously from the 80's because he was wearing those huge glasses that were (for some bizarre reason) fashionable then. It was him basically showing you how to lift things properly or wear proper ear defenders around heavy machinery that sort of thing. I had a look on youtube but couldn't find it unfortunately.

Might it be the one that's partly shown in this news report? No sign of Pat Kenny but its the right time frame.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/collections/news/21240543-fue-health-and-safety-campaign/

We were shown this one in secondary school.

• Site Banned Posts: 17 Bumper Mannix

We were shown this anti drugs video in secondary school in 1991 called '"Youre Only Going Nowhere if you cant say NO'". Apparently Liam Brady produced it. Someone uploaded a bunch of random clips from it, I'm not 100% sure of what order they were in but I seem to remember the bits with the rapping being towards the end. I'd say it dates from 89/90. It features an anti drugs rap from Gerry Ryan, ironies of ironies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I remember natural high. We were given the 'lyrics' printed out.
    God it's awful.
    This was shown to us in conjunction with a member of the local drugs unit passing a block of hash the size of a Bible around the classroom. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

We were shown that Gerry Ryan drugs video too. I forgot he had been in it till recently.

I vaguely remember we were shown a video presented by Peter Ustinov but I can't for the life of me remember what it was about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Worztron

I recall watching The Treaty (1992) in secondary school history class. Great made for TV film. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0190088/, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treaty_(film)

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Never knew this video existed before seeing it on YouTube. The puppets in it look like what would have resulted if those in Rimini Riddle and Peppermint Park had gotten jiggy with each other. Was anyone here shown this and are they still receiving therapy,

Just had a flashback of being about 12 or 13 in secondary school and being shown an anti drugs video where it turned out the little girl's older sister 'Suzanne was on da heroin'.

For some reason that sentence has always stuck with me, we found it particularly hilarious being in a fairly rural school down the country with absolutely no clue what heroin even was, we were a bit too young for any warnings like that!
    Sounds like it might be this one.

That channel has quite a few of those type of videos. One on water safety from the 90s

• I remember being given a colouring book around 1988/89 but all the pictures to be coloured in carried stories of the danger of strangers and it's ok not to like people touching you. I got this at home not at school. Does anyone remember the stay safe programme in primary school? Didnt the church asked for it to be scrapped?

I remember being given a colouring book around 1988/89 but all the pictures to be coloured in carried stories of the danger of strangers and it's ok not to like people touching you. I got this at home not at school. Does anyone remember the stay safe programme in primary school? Didnt the church asked for it to be scrapped?

Was that with Pajo The Rat, (Pajos Junkbox) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Took a bit of rummaging, but we used be shown these. The series was already ancient by that time.

The theme music is 'Popcorn', could only remember the music so had to search early electronic music to find out what the series was called.

Post edited by whisky_galore on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

In secondary school, we were treated to 'The Silent Scream' on VHS.

Dr. Bernard Nathanson, former abortionist and founder of NARAL, teaches the audience about the specifics of suction abortion, followed by an actual abortion of an 11-week old fetus as seen through ultrasound.

• Advertisement
Advertisement